Where will new stories go after Ultra Instinct?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Re: Where will new stories go after Ultra Instinct?

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:44 pm

Keep in mind, at one point in time, Frieza was the strongest in the universe and SS1 was thought to be the absolute pinnacle

People thought there would be NO WHERE else to go from there

"How can there be anyone else stronger then Frieza. How can there be anything else greater then the legends of SS"

And yet here we are now lol

There's ALWAYS a way.

Theres always powerful fighters, and menacing enemies to introduce.

There's always ways to keep training and getting stronger

After Frieza, we still got 2 major new enemies in Cell and Buu

SS1 is now a joke

Etc etc etc

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Omg there's endless possibilities... zeno and the gods could just be small minions in the grand scheme of things. You guys really think that little zeno is the top dog? It's comical to believe that.

I personally think Gokus ultra instinct should be viewed as a potential problem to the gods and the multiverse. Not to mention they can bring enemies from ancient times from the redirected universes..it's endless.

Ui goku will only be a trigger he wont be able to maintain it and when he does something will happen. Maybe the next generation of fighters.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 pm

The only way I can see them handling Goku’s continued interest in training Uub is that if he believes it will be easier for the boy to learn UI. Perhaps the problem with fighters like Goku and Vegeta attaining UI is that they have a lifetime of technique and skills they’ve perfected and honed, and breaking out of that self taught “dogma” is too difficult for most. As Yoda would say, “You must unlearn what you have learned.” Uub is as close to a clean slate as you can probably get, and is fairly powerful at his base level.

Of course there will probably be an enemy that surpasses UI, so that’ll be the driving focus for training. I could see it being the Cell Games v2.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:29 pm

RedHeat wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:Grand Priest decides mortals reaching the level of power Goku has reached is too dangerous so he wipes out all of Goku's memories going back to when he met Beerus. Then we go into a GT timeline
You joke, but that is the second most likely outcome of this arc besides wishing everyone back. It makes perfect sense too if they plan on making more movies and not a series.
Yeah this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Except Frieza wishing to do away with deities or their ki. Frieza has been so outclassed that I think he might do away with this hierarchy. Not sure he’d be able to do that seeing as how he doesn’t know the language to speak to the dragon, but we will see.

The exempt universes surely have fighters around Jiren level, so I’m sure they’d find something to do. Personally I’m annoyed that everyone has gotten this strong in just 40 hours, but couldn’t get these kinds of boosts when fighting Kid Buu.

ZeroDio
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZeroDio » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am

Well if Ultra Instinct becomes like a "Absolute Last Resort" for use on a majorly powerful foe then it be ok as long as its only pops up for foes that are in Jiren's area of strength or above

But the things have been somewhat teased and not fully explored yet are

- The 4 unknown (most likely Gods) Beings near the Grand Priest's Level [mentioned when GP was introduced in the anime]

- Universe 13 to 18

- Zalama

- The Sadal Promise of Cabba & Vegeta

So if a new anime happens then these 4 topics could be used for its Arcs

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:04 am

Next would be some angel level threat that requires another transformation
Then a Zeno level threat
Then something that makes Zeno look small time
Repeat

You know people were probably asking this question when Goku went SS and took out the strongest being in the universe.
Or when Gohan went SS2 and fully "mastered" the evolution of SS
Or at the end of the Boo arc when Goku literally took out the enemy of the gods
They'll just create new characters and new tiers to beat.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 am

There can still be stories with Goku and Vegeta challenging the Hakaishins of all the universes, you can still get a story with a rogue Angel villain etc. There's plenty more that can be reached in terms of power heights, really.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 am

https://partridge.cloud/grabs/S01E01/gi ... d7rBcC.gif

Movies, specials, yes potentially. A second series? Out of the question. There's no where left for Goku to go and there's not enough story to justify another 100+ episodes.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 am

Fans probably asked the same thing after the 23rd Tenkaichi, after Goku reached Ssj, after Buu & after SsjG was introduced so he'll find a way.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:27 am

I hope this is the end for Dragon Ball in this fashion. Powerhouses have become stronger than GoDs and Goku has surpassed them too.

Either they start introducing Magic and Reality warpers like DC and Marvel, or go Star Wars route of Prequels, or just let this end here.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:33 am

The next logical step in ability would be to gain the Omni-King’s powers. Where you have the ability to “erase” anything on the spot without the need for power, strength or ki. That is, Goku basically becomes an Omni God with near omnipotence and high level reality warping techniques. I can totally see that happening in the far end future. But NOT before seeing UI Vegito lolstomping the Grand Priest xD

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 am

The only way I can see it continuing is that some way Goku's powers are taken away. Like by the Super Dragonballs or something. So then only Vegeta would be the strongest. Like GT they would go on some quest to restore Goku's potential.

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am

Well if Goku will be at angels tier in episode 129 then I think he wont stop until become at OmniKings tier.
If you remember Super Saiyan 3 were strongest form on dragon ball z. And when dragon ball super aired on episode 5 of super beerus defeat him easily so now i think in the next series or may be even in decembers movie Goku's Ultra instinct form WONT be enough to defeat next enemy but Vegeta might mastered it too and they can fused to Gogeta or Vegito in ulstra instinct form.
And then, next series will be aired then goku needs to get SSJ Ultra instinct to defeat new enemy

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:22 pm

MagmonKai wrote:The only way I can see it continuing is that some way Goku's powers are taken away. Like by the Super Dragonballs or something. So then only Vegeta would be the strongest. Like GT they would go on some quest to restore Goku's potential.
Yeah, I was thinking about something like that. Or maybe even a machine that supresses Power like the one we saw in FighterZ.
Get Fucked, C_unt

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Super ends with Goku at his most powerful state ever. So practically, this isn't too much of a problem.

If stories were going to go after this, I'd say it be facing other users of Ultra Instinct. Such as the angels.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:34 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. Ultra Instinct is the pinnacle. It can dodge everything and is the strongest power boost ever. How do you top that?
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 pm

Make Whis a bad guy? Lol at this point some evil angel could be good.

Honestly would love to see a continuation from after Goku and Uub take off. Something that rewrites GT. It could be so epic with Uub, Pan and Bulla all there.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 am

Lionel wrote:Dragon Ball, or more specifically Toriyama, doesn't seem to know how to conceive a conflict that doesn't revolve around the premise of the antagonist being a hulking powerhouse that can flatten everyone with their fists and who requires some grand upsurge of power to beat. It's a progressional system of strength that will eventually hit a roadblock when there's no more tier steps to climb. Could this formula be renovated to incorporate other mechanics of combat, technology, science, intelligence and/or magic? Yes, but it would take a huge effort on Toriyama's part to revamp something that he's been maintaining the status quo of since the beginning of the original manga. I can't see the likes of him putting in the effort or having the right innovational creativity to do something like that. So instead any further plotline might begin to revolve around the actions and affairs of the angels since they're the only known species that's yet to be explored in-depth by the scriptwriters who have the strength needed to oppose Ultra Instinct Goku.
I agree with this. In the world of fantasy, there's endless possibilities of where they can go. In reality, knowing Toriyama's forumla and seeing how the series has played out for the last 30 years, the next antagonist for Goku will simply be...stronger. I also expect Ultra Instinct to get nerfed in a new series. All of a sudden it will have all these weaknesses and ways around it that it doesn't currently have.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:13 am

Making the angels rebel is the only way, or go back to adventuring with less fighting, giving other characters time to shine.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am

End of Z was basically about Goku reaching the end, being the best there is with naught but a challenge in any of his friends or family.

Then Uub comes and shows massive potential, reminding him of the days when he fought Majin Buu who used to be the most powerful being ever.

I think the best direction for future stories would be exploring Goku's dissatisfaction with basically being at the top of the mortal food chain, how he has lost his drive to keep getting stronger after basically getting the ultimate power, the Ultra Instinct. At this point, this would be ripe for seeding his desire to see the potential in others, namely Uub, someone he doesn't know who has this great potential.

All of his other friends, he's seen what they can do. But Uub? Uub is a wildcard, a HUMAN with the potential of Majin Buu. More importantly.... it's someone NEW. The story of the series has always been about Son Goku. Well, maybe future stories in the series should explore Son Goku finally realizing that his story is just about over; he doesn't have to be gone entirely, but it's time for new stories to take the stage.

I don't think this is what Toriyama, Toei, and Toyotaro have in mind, but one can hope, right?