Where will new stories go after Ultra Instinct?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Where will new stories go after Ultra Instinct?

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 am

Now that Goku has Ultra Instinct and is already mastering it, what direction do you think they will take in future stories?
It feels like Goku is at the pinnacle of power and I'm afraid there aren't many interesting things to do now that his body will be on auto-pilot and always moving, dodging and attacking in the perfect way. We also have no idea if raw power is the only deciding factor in a battle between two fighters using Ultra Instinct, but we know for sure there is a difference or else Grand Priest wouldn't be considered the strongest fighter in the multiverse.

At first, Goku could have trouble using Ultra Instinct again in the future as right now he's always had to be pushed to his limits before using it, but eventually he is going to be able to use it at will as they can't do more than one story arc where Goku has to be pushed to his limits before using UI, or that would become redundant and predictable.
I also hope we won't be seeing further transformations; new colors are over and the silver/white look of Ultra Instinct suits the ultimate divine form it is. I could see at most a repeat of the Super Saiyan God situation where Goku and Vegeta discovered a Super Saiyan form of SSG shortly after.
Will Toriyama create even more OP techniques and transformations? I hope not, and I honestly don't see what else he can create to top UI.
I know the same thing was probably said in the past after many major transformation, so I would like to hear your opinion and where you would personally take the story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Where will new stories go after Ultra Instinct?

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:08 pm

Dragon Ball, or more specifically Toriyama, doesn't seem to know how to conceive a conflict that doesn't revolve around the premise of the antagonist being a hulking powerhouse that can flatten everyone with their fists and who requires some grand upsurge of power to beat. It's a progressional system of strength that will eventually hit a roadblock when there's no more tier steps to climb. Could this formula be renovated to incorporate other mechanics of combat, technology, science, intelligence and/or magic? Yes, but it would take a huge effort on Toriyama's part to revamp something that he's been maintaining the status quo of since the beginning of the original manga. I can't see the likes of him putting in the effort or having the right innovational creativity to do something like that. So instead any further plotline might begin to revolve around the actions and affairs of the angels since they're the only known species that's yet to be explored in-depth by the scriptwriters who have the strength needed to oppose Ultra Instinct Goku.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Lionel wrote:Dragon Ball, or more specifically Toriyama, doesn't seem to know how to conceive a conflict that doesn't revolve around the premise of the antagonist being a hulking powerhouse that can flatten everyone with their fists and who requires some grand upsurge of power to beat. It's a progressional system of strength that will eventually hit a roadblock when there's no more tier steps to climb. Could this formula be renovated to incorporate other mechanics of combat, technology, science, intelligence and/or magic? Yes, but it would take a huge effort on Toriyama's part to revamp something that he's been maintaining the status quo of since the beginning of the original manga. I can't see the likes of him putting in the effort or having the right innovational creativity to do something like that. So instead any further plotline might begin to revolve around the actions and affairs of the angels since they're the only known species that's yet to be explored in-depth by the scriptwriters who have the strength needed to oppose Ultra Instinct Goku.
Further stories revolving around only beings with Ultra Instinct could be boring, though, if a battle between two UI users is lame: what would be the fun of watching a battle where the fighters aren't even "fighting" because their bodies are moving on their own? That is, of course, if Ultra Instinct is really just this, or will the consciousness being separated from the body actually bring in more smartness and tactical approaches to the fights? If I were Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro/whoever takes decisions, I would make it so that the body dodging and attacking on its own because of Ultra Instinct means the fighter can actually concentrate on where to move the body so that it can find openings, or recognize patterns in the foe's fighting style to find a opening - which means UI fighters would also have to train their bodies in a smart way to avoid it performing moves in patterns and in a telegraphed way, and learning (and mastering) a wide array of techniques would mean the body would use those when needed. Unfortunately I fear this won't be the case at all, as the show has implied the body takes all the decisions by itself during UI, so much that thinking about anything is actually a bad thing to do when using Ultra Instinct. Will Goku be a zombie when using it, then? That would not be fun. I fear Ultra Instinct may be way too much of a end-game transformation/technique, and this might impact badly any future storyline. Will the battles only be a spectacle where the winner could be decided by a game of arm wrestling/ki size contest?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:28 pm

They're gonna start combining UI with existing SS forms. It's horrendous enough of an idea to become reality.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:32 pm

I thought that powers couldn't get stronger than it were on FT's arc, but it did. Anyway, i don't see how they can top Jiren, or UI.

Personally i really doubt that Dragon Ball will continue as an anime series anytime soon. Maybe after ToP if ever Dragon Ball again as an animated series, it would be the perfect time for the new generation.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Easily, they won’t. This might be the reason dragon ball is ending. Hakaishins are outright invinsible when it comes to comparing them with mortals, so much so that jiren was just thought to be a rumored, and here he is, a mortal that a hakaishin can’t beat. If Goku ends up being equal or somewhat superior to jiren, there is nothing else other than The angels themselves that goku can challenge.

To me, dragon ball will continue in someway, but not continuing supers story

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:04 pm

Super Saiyan Rainbow is next. You all heard it here first, folks.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:They're gonna start combining UI with existing SS forms. It's horrendous enough of an idea to become reality.
I can already see it.
" Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Ultra Instinct "
SSGSSUI.
Then they'll come up with a simpler name because they realize their fuck up, but all of the merchendise and videogames will keep using that horribly long one.
Get Fucked, C_unt

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Grand Priest decides mortals reaching the level of power Goku has reached is too dangerous so he wipes out all of Goku's memories going back to when he met Beerus. Then we go into a GT timeline

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Super is ending so its no longer a problem, but if it wasn't I'm sure it would have something to do with Freeza. Him hiding and being conveniently hidden isnt for nothing. Super would probably made him make a wish that somehow surpresses Goku power. Or Super would just nerf it like they did everything else. If Kuririn can keep up with Blue then anything is possible.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Grand Priest decides mortals reaching the level of power Goku has reached is too dangerous so he wipes out all of Goku's memories going back to when he met Beerus. Then we go into a GT timeline
FUCK. THAT. Don't even mention it.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Onibaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Onibaku » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Well knowing how DB works there will always ben something stronger than the UI transformation. Also, when Goku masters it and starts using it often, the magic will be taken away and will just be seen as another transformation of Goku.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:Grand Priest decides mortals reaching the level of power Goku has reached is too dangerous so he wipes out all of Goku's memories going back to when he met Beerus. Then we go into a GT timeline
that would be the funniest thing ever.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
that would be the funniest thing ever.
That or the Gohan Blanco comic happening would create the best Dragon Ball series ending ever.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Given how Uub has been brought up in this arc, I'm thinking that maybe possibly hopefully future stories will focus on Son Goku wanting to bring others up as potential rivals, inspiring and training them to reach even his level.

If he does indeed become unrivaled with regards to the established deity hierarchy besides the Angels, then the only direction to go is backwards.

Goku will train Uub, seeing that he has the potential to possibly surpass even his Ultra Instinct. Even though Goku could solve his friends' problems easily, he decides that he wants to help them and the next generation prepare themselves, and perhaps even surpass him.

At least, that's what I'd like to believe the next direction will be.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:22 pm

You joke, but that is the second most likely outcome of this arc besides wishing everyone back. It makes perfect sense too if they plan on making more movies and not a series.
Feels over Reals.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Didn't the magazine advertisement for mastered Ultra Instinct call it the strongest form in Goku's history? I'm pretty sure this is the pinnacle of Goku's power; I honestly don't see him getting any stronger than this, and I'm not sure where his direction could go after obtaining a perfect fighting form with auto-dodging and pinpoint precision. I guess they technically could force him to become stronger, but that would be disappointing after all the hype and mechanics surrounding Ultra Instinct's nature.

If there's a continuation, I think it would have to be focused on a new generation at this point.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm

emperior wrote:
Lionel wrote:Dragon Ball, or more specifically Toriyama, doesn't seem to know how to conceive a conflict that doesn't revolve around the premise of the antagonist being a hulking powerhouse that can flatten everyone with their fists and who requires some grand upsurge of power to beat. It's a progressional system of strength that will eventually hit a roadblock when there's no more tier steps to climb. Could this formula be renovated to incorporate other mechanics of combat, technology, science, intelligence and/or magic? Yes, but it would take a huge effort on Toriyama's part to revamp something that he's been maintaining the status quo of since the beginning of the original manga. I can't see the likes of him putting in the effort or having the right innovational creativity to do something like that. So instead any further plotline might begin to revolve around the actions and affairs of the angels since they're the only known species that's yet to be explored in-depth by the scriptwriters who have the strength needed to oppose Ultra Instinct Goku.
Further stories revolving around only beings with Ultra Instinct could be boring, though, if a battle between two UI users is lame: what would be the fun of watching a battle where the fighters aren't even "fighting" because their bodies are moving on their own? That is, of course, if Ultra Instinct is really just this, or will the consciousness being separated from the body actually bring in more smartness and tactical approaches to the fights? If I were Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro/whoever takes decisions, I would make it so that the body dodging and attacking on its own because of Ultra Instinct means the fighter can actually concentrate on where to move the body so that it can find openings, or recognize patterns in the foe's fighting style to find a opening - which means UI fighters would also have to train their bodies in a smart way to avoid it performing moves in patterns and in a telegraphed way, and learning (and mastering) a wide array of techniques would mean the body would use those when needed. Unfortunately I fear this won't be the case at all, as the show has implied the body takes all the decisions by itself during UI, so much that thinking about anything is actually a bad thing to do when using Ultra Instinct. Will Goku be a zombie when using it, then? That would not be fun. I fear Ultra Instinct may be way too much of a end-game transformation/technique, and this might impact badly any future storyline. Will the battles only be a spectacle where the winner could be decided by a game of arm wrestling/ki size contest?
He wasn’t a zombie against Kefla.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 pm

More seriously I could see them say that there are multiple multiverses if that makes sense. Zeno is the god of one multiverse but there are "omni kings" in all the universes and one " grand omni king" above them all. This way they could keep the power escalation going by having goku surpass angels, GP, Zeno and still have stories to tell.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Brettjr25 wrote:Super is ending so its no longer a problem, but if it wasn't I'm sure it would have something to do with Freeza. Him hiding and being conveniently hidden isnt for nothing. Super would probably made him make a wish that somehow surpresses Goku power. Or Super would just nerf it like they did everything else. If Kuririn can keep up with Blue then anything is possible.
You’re ignoring that it was literally said in the epsoide that Krillin had no chance in hell against Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.