Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Post by 8bitdee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 pm

With Super ending, the ToP not living up to people's expectations, and Goku's new transformation, I feel like the atmosphere around here is that people don't really like it.

"It's predictable."
"There's no tension."
"Toei's animation sucks."
"The writing is horrendous."
"Toriyama is out of ideas."
"They're just rehashing DBZ."
"Too many transformations."
"The music is uninteresting."
"No logic."
"No blood."
"Ridiculous power scaling."
"DBZ did it better."

Etc, etc.

Everywhere I go, those are just some of the complaints I keep hearing over and over again.
And my question is, if you are someone who doesn't enjoy Super, why do people watch a show they don't like?

Is it just because of nostalgia? Because DB was a series you really loved growing up and you feel like you need to see this new thing, out of obligation?

I'm in my 30s, and I don't have the time to be watching a show I don't enjoy, let alone spend even more time on reddit or online forums talking about it. I got a family and life to tend to.
Even when DBGT aired in 2002 back in my home country, I dropped it around the middle of that first arc. I was a teenager who was in love with DBZ but I didn't enjoy DBGT so I just decided to not spend my time watching something I didn't like to watch. It was only later when it aired on Funimation here in the States that I decided to give it a go.

But even though I lead a busy life, I DO decide to spend my time watching this show and discussing it because I DO like this show very much. I actually agree with a lot of the complaints (probably with ALL of them), but I don't write it off because the flaws don't bother me. To me, it's just a kid's show and I watch it with that mentality. And it works. Even though I know how predictable the story is, or how the animation doesn't captivate me as DBZ did, I still get pumped up every week when that opening theme kicks in. I still enjoy watching how things unfold, even if the show's predictability is overwhelming. And I still feel disappointed that I have to wait another week to watch the next episode.

But here it seems like people don't enjoy it at all, in fact they seem to hate it. It seems like every new thread here is to complain about something about the show rather than celebrate its existence.It's either that or those who do enjoy it are just more silent about it.

Is it the same for others as it is for me? Do you guys actually enjoy the show but choose to not let the flaws trouble you? (which I doubt because if the flaws didn't trouble people they wouldn't be complaining about it to the internet). Or do you just dislike it? If so, why do you continue to watch if it's not satisfying you or your expectations? A complain I keep hearing is that we "deserve" better; a better treatment of the plot and characters, etc. I don't know if we "deserve" better, but if I felt like I wasn't getting the show I "deserved", then I'd stop watching it.

I don't mean to sound rude by asking that question. I'm just genuinely curious because I find it disappointing that a lot of the discussion surrounding the show is complaining about it and I don't understand the reasoning behind watching something that you think is bad and spending so much time and energy on it.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Post by Kanious » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 pm

I personally love DBS. I miss the blood, and i find some flaws in DBS, but i still love it, and even if i didn't liked i would still watch out of nostalgia [like i did with GT]. I've been a massive fan of the franchise for the last 22 years, and whatever anime Dragon Ball puts on air, even if it is not good as DBZ, i will still watch.

But i can't understand how some people do destructive criticism (even here on Kanzenshuu, there are people which seems that want Super ending just to see DBS fans pissed off, or as they don't like, no one should be given the gift of watching this series after 15 years).

Concluding... i think that all criticism should be constructive, but many Dragon Ball franchise fans who don't like DBS like to do destructive criticism, this is what i notice in many places, including the DB fanbase of my country.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:25 pm

I watch it because I like it and DB. Yes it has its problems but it also has some really high notes that make up for them. I by no means think Super is perfect as there needs to be major changes made when it or a new show comes back but there's nothing so bad that it's preventing me from enjoying it.

I think an issue with people who hate it is that they just look at the bad and leave out everything else. If you're going to judge something do it as a whole, don't just take a part of it and apply it to the entire thing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Because it's a continuation of Dragon Ball, a series that I followed since I was a young child, and it has some good moments that I keep going back to every now and then.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 pm

8bitdee wrote:Do you guys actually enjoy the show but choose to not let the flaws trouble you?
I enjoy the series for what it is, but I get disappointed because I do know that the series has potential to be better. I watch Dragon Ball Super because I love Dragon Ball franchise and I want to see what is more in store for it, I want to see where they plan to go and what kind of information/content it will bring to the lore. Those are my main reasons why I watch it.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:43 pm

I think the bulk of Super has been a piece of crap. I was never a fan of the BoG movie, so the BoG arc didn't win me over, but I still gave it a shot because it was a new Dragon Ball series. I skipped the RF arc because the first few episodes were just too bad to bare, and I absolutely hated the movie it was based on. The Champa arc was boring, so I skipped that one too, opting to only watch the fights on Youtube--which were mostly awful, btw.

The Goku Black arc was finally when things got interesting and I started watching the episodes again, though I still found myself skipping several. I watched for the intrigue, but in hindsight, it was that mystery and Nozawa's performance as Goku Black that actually hooked me. It was an arc with great ideas, but horrible execution in virtually every way, as well as constant repetition that made it hard to stay invested in it. I find it hard to rewatch anything regarding it nowadays, even with the dub (fyi, I prefer dub over sub).

Then, there's the ToP arc (including the recruitment episodes)... it's my favorite of this series (i.e. Super), and I have not missed a single episode. This arc is the perfect representation of the writers not giving a single **** and just having fun with it. You have inconsistent writing galore, and so many things make little sense, even when taken into context, but damn did they finally step it up in the animation and choreography on many scenes, and bombard us with fanservice. It's pure mindless fun, but unlike the rest of the awful arcs, this one can and has delivered many cool scenes I've gone back to multiple times that easily rank among the best in franchise history, as well as a pretty sweet soundtrack.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:48 pm

Grimlock wrote:
8bitdee wrote:Do you guys actually enjoy the show but choose to not let the flaws trouble you?
I enjoy the series for what it is, but I get disappointed because I do know that the series has potential to be better. I watch Dragon Ball Super because I love Dragon Ball franchise and I want to see what is more in store for it, I want to see where they plan to go and what kind of information/content it will bring to the lore. Those are my main reasons why I watch it.
I agree with your statements. It is the same thing for me as well.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am

Why? Because its a Dragon Ball series. And I got to see my favorite characters from my favorite franchise again.

Sure, not all of it was all that good. But other parts were. We finally see Dragon Ball's universe expanded. We meet new characters, and see old friends. We have action packed episodes, and episodes that just give you that warm, fuzzy feeling inside (Pan filler and the baseball episode for example). We meet new villains, and have old ones reach terrifying levels of power in a scary short time.

So, yeah. Its Dragon Ball, of course I would watch it.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 am

Lately the dislike for the show has gotten way worse, even toxic I dare say. I see some really rude comments towards othe people who enjoy this show.

But what's worse is that I feel like no matter what Super does it will continue to happen. I see people complain about the stamina problem, but now in this episode the stamina problem was a factor and the same people complained Vegeta didn't do anything and that it was pathetic how he fought him in base form.

As for the topic, I watch it because I'm having a good time watching it, it's entertaining and my favorite anime currently.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 am

It’s Dragon Ball.

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 am

Because it's Dragon Ball and it's new material from Toriyama.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:54 am

Goku. I love watching him get into wild situations and seeing what shenanigans follow. I've also been really enjoying his relationship with Vegeta in Super, but it's mostly Goku at the end of the day.

Bonus points getting the rest of the Z fighters involved in this tournament. They're the nostalgia part.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Starscreacher

Post by Starscreacher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 am

Because i like Dragon Ball Super

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 am

New content created by Akira and Toei.

We've been waiting for new material for years prior to Super and yeah I will fault Super when it screws up, but I'll never take for granted especially now that it's ending in in the foreseeable future.

Don't y'all remember dragon ball AF? Good Lord I shudder thinking of those days.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am

The characters, I guess. And because it's Dragon Ball, though that wasn't enough to keep me interested in GT....
As someone already mentioned in the thread, it' the potential, and occasionally, you catch glimpses of what it could've been :(

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 am

Action and flash.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 am

I started watching Super during the Zamasu arc. Zamasu became my favourite character from the moment I first saw his design. I've always loved those type of brooding and divine villains in fiction. The intrigue and mystery surrounding Goku Black and Zamasu is what kept me fascinated, and then my interested grew even more once Fused Zamasu made his debut (and, as you can see, I adore Fused Zamasu).

I watch the Tournament of Power arc because... well, I won't lie, I might complain about several things, but I too am quite interested to see how the Tournament will end. Part of me wants Frieza to win and wish to dominate the Gods. It would be much more interesting from a story perspective than Goku winning, resurrecting the erased universes, and living happily ever after.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:46 am

I started watching Super a-little when the ToP was starting the pre-matches and found the arc an interesting one. I however only become when Brianne, The Fireballs and Universe 2's theme became a thing cause they went right with my fandom and I was interested in finally seeing Magical Girls in the DB Mythos!

Since then I mainly am a fan of the New Characters, mainly U2 and U6 characters like Kale, Caulifla, Cabba and the U6 Namekins to name a few. The New Characters are the main driving force why I am here, so if they stay or go so likely will my fandom.

I also have had from minor to major problems with how Super has been handled and written, mainly power scaling I can get into, but right now the show's new characters is what kept me watching Super and my hope they will return before the series concludes.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 am

Because it's a fun way to kill half an hour on Saturday night. And me enjoying it seems to trigger certain people, which makes for the easiest trolling I've ever had to do.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 am

Seiyuus and the animation staff. But, I dropped it in mid-ToP cause I couldn't take it anymore. Enough is enough. But, still that was my reason for sticking with the shitshow that is DBS for what 90 something episodes. I respect the staff.