Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why do YOU personally watch Super?

Post by prince212 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 am

I enjoyed watching dbs ,especially since future trunks arc ,it’s one of my favorite entertainment shows , I’m not force by my childhood nostalgia or watch it just because is dragon ball . There’s a few anime - manga shows that keep me attach week by week and dbs is in the list .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Because its more Dragon ball content,and also because its fucking lit.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:04 pm

It's easy to laugh at it.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 pm

it's canon, comes from Toriyama, entertaining, i think it's better than what some people think, and feel it's a great show. But, I know had this story continued as films or if the series had way more time and planning than simply starting too soon, the product would be much better.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 pm

I watch Super because I've been a Dragon Ball fan for two decades. I enjoy Super because even though mistakes have been made there's so much they got right. I for one love the fact that the power-scaling is whatever Toriyama wants it to be. It's great to see everyone getting the chance to shine again in their own way.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 pm

I keep coming back to Super hoping it gets better but I always get disappointed.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:01 pm

While I’m not a fan of it overall, there have been moments and certain episodes I have enjoyed so I do check back every so often to see if my opinion has changed. I try to see what others reactions to a certain episode have been and if people are giving really good feedback, I’ll check it out. I’ve found I mostly enjoy moments more than episodes in Super so I like to see if there are more for me to find.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:46 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
KingKaash wrote:I'm gonna watch any kind of Dragon Ball there is (as long as Goku isn't a child so no DB or GT for me) because it's a piece of my childhood that I like to keep alive
I can’t understand why you’d deliberately refuse to watch anything from the first 1/3 of the series.
Watching Goku as a child isn't interesting to me now. And the opponents in their aren't big enough threats now
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:57 pm

KingKaash wrote: Watching Goku as a child isn't interesting to me now. And the opponents in their aren't big enough threats now
Damn. You're missing out on arguably the best era of Dragon Ball (imo). To each their own, I guess.

Anyway, I'm watching Super because I'm a big fan of the original series (DB and Z) and I figured it might be cool to see what the modern revival has to share.

Unfortunately, it lacks the same feeling as the original series for me and is only really good for a few of the fights. I'm not keen on the new transformations, retcons, and reveals they've added into the franchise and a lot of them actually bother me so much that I don't consider this series canon with the rest of it at all. I like the addition of some new characters but I feel the show missed opportunities to do more with some of the side characters that had not been treated as well thus far.

As much as I love Goku, he does take up too much of the spotlight and while this was true of the original series, it was something they could have fixed here. I'm also not a big fan of Vegeta so him having the deuteragonist role instead of Gohan (who had that role in Z) this time has made part of the show boring for me (I just don't care about Vegeta post-Namek, sorry).

Super was enjoyable enough though... and that's why I haven't dropped it. I'll be sticking around for the new movie this year, but we'll see about the next series (depending on if the quality improves).
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 pm

To be honest, initially, it was because of the lack of a new jojo's Bizare adventure anime(prt 5). I have always been a casual Dragonball fan, but as I grew older I shifted over to jojo's more. Super has revitalized my interest in Dragonball despite its glaring narrative issues.