Vegeta's power in comparison to Goku (possible spoilers)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Vegeta's power in comparison to Goku (possible spoilers)

Post by FrostByte » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:55 am

I think he will.Whis has been training both Goku and Vegeta to achieve Ultra Instinct,so if Dragon ball comes back as a series,then he will also have UI.

OmegaZenki

Post by OmegaZenki » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 pm

FrostByte wrote:I think he will.Whis has been training both Goku and Vegeta to achieve Ultra Instinct,so if Dragon ball comes back as a series,then he will also have UI.
No he wont. People said that about SSJ3 and he never got it.

Hes likely gonna get a new form.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Rebel Instinct wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Yet there's actual evidence to support that the anime follows Toriyama's transcripts much more closely - and that the anime has many more Toriyama exclusive things in it (like the book of Namek of legends which everyone assumed was "a Toei thing" )
Care to cite any of that actual evidence beyond the Namekian Book of Legends? Where did you readthat the anime follows Toriyama's scripts "much more closely" and has "many more Toriyama exclusive things in it" compared to the manga? Please link the interviews and official statements that substantiate these claims. Personal interpretation doesn't count.
The Namekian book of legends is already a HUGE enough example to prove the point I was making

People just assumed the book wasnt "canon" because it didnt appear in the manga, "must have been a Toei thing"....yet it was later revealed it was Toriyama

We dont have concrete information on possible other examples because Super is still in production.

I'm sure when it ends and more stuff starts to come out about the behind the scenes stuff, we will get many more examples; )

Can you provide any example of something that was Toriyama-only, that was exclusive to the manga?

You claim that the manga is more canon. I'm saying "no wait a minute, here are examples that can prove otherwise"

You even had Toei themselfes saying that they treat the word of Toriyama as the word of god.

But for my actual personal thoughts. Both are canon. Both follow the transcripts of Toriyama while both take their own liberties with minor things

I like the anime way more. I actually will always mostly prefer the anime because at the end of the day, I vastly prefer motion and music, to still drawings. But that doesnt mean I still dont appreciate a good manga. Now you like the manga way more over the anime and thats fine. But I can respect your opinion. You dont. Thats another problem

You are not accepting of those who like Super, and who dare even have the nerve to say the anime is better. Thats an issue

I dont care if you like the manga. Like it all you want.

Anyway, we already have concrete PROOF that Toriyama did NOT want Veggeto or SSG Vegeta

Of course Toriyama ended up approving both (like he ends up approving anything Toei wans to change) I never said other wise. You have a dishonest way of arguing.

The difference is there is no verifiable proof anywhere that SSBKK was a Toei invention. There is proof that Vegetto/SSGod Vegeta were Toyotaro inventions

We can start from there. You think it was. I dont think so. We are both speculating. Not everything you are saying is fact based
Last edited by ZenkaiBoosts on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Rebel Instinct wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:The problem is that the pro-manga crowd tear down the anime to try and prop up the manga, and thats the kind of bias that is an issue
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Toyotaro's manga is just there. Its indifference. He never takes any risks. Never does anything that stands out or is exciting. Toyotaro's manga just feels meh/like a forgettable afterthought.

Toyotaro has great art, but hes widely known for being terrible at story telling/writing/character interactions/character momemts/emotive scenes.

Even though animation and music always win for me (nothing trumps beng able to watch in motion) I actually dont mind mangas in general. I think Toyotaro is simply a terribly generic forgettable writer who is not good at story telling, and thats what hurts my enjoyment of the Super manga adaption/afterthought. The anime is already great/epic/entertaining/exciting..
I'll take "Obvious Double Standards?" for $500, Alex.
How is that a double standard? I WANT the manga to be better. I'm simply stating why I dont like Toyotaro. I dont like the manga because of Toyotaro not being a good writer and story teller imo.

I said that the anime was already great in my eyes. That I wished the manga was a better manga to supplement it

I'm not blind. I give credit where its due. Toyotaro can actually draw really well. Thats where it ends

Its funny you are trying to use that line against me, when that more or less described you

The vast majority of your posts are shitting on the anime (you even have it as your sig) while praising the magna. The vast majority of my posts are not dedicated to the manga at all.

You claim i have an anime agenda but you only ever came out to defend the manga.

I'm done with this now. If you want to continue to talk anime vs manga then PM me. Is there anything you have to say about the thread title?

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:57 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Can you provide any example of something that was Toriyama-only, that was exclusive to the manga?
Black going SSJ is noted in Toriyama's design sheet for him, even though it's not drawn, and yet he never uses standard SSJ in the anime.

The final battle against Zamasu in the outline is described as Goku and Vegeta taking turns, and a SSB being able to match Zamasu, with two together being enough to destroy him if it weren't for the immortality, and yet that clearly wasn't the case in the anime. They also were fighting to bring him to the time limit, like in the manga, something the anime didn't use.

On the other hand, at this point, the only confirmed example of the manga dropping something from Toriyama is back during the Book of legends back in the BoGs arc where the manga was really rushed and even already had to include an extra page with relevant text it had originally skipped (about Beerus having faced someone else stronger than Goku, which was set up for the Monaka joke that the manga originally didn't include).
You even had Toei themselfes saying that they treat the word of Toriyama as the word of god.
And yet we have word from Toriyama himself that he hadn't checked the script of the Trunks arc one month before it started airing, which means there's no time at all for him to have any influence on the final product. They advertise Toriyama's involvement constantly, but unlike after BoGs or Revival F, there have been no interviews regarding Toriyama's work with the anime staff at all, which is odd.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Neon Z wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Can you provide any example of something that was Toriyama-only, that was exclusive to the manga?
Black going SSJ is noted in Toriyama's design sheet for him, even though it's not drawn, and yet he never uses standard SSJ in the anime.

The final battle against Zamasu in the outline is described as Goku and Vegeta taking turns, and a SSB being able to match Zamasu, with two together being enough to destroy him if it weren't for the immortality, and yet that clearly wasn't the case in the anime. They also were fighting to bring him to the time limit, like in the manga, something the anime didn't use.
IIm willing to stand corrected on this if I see the source

Thank you for citing actual possible examples, not calling me this and that and actually debating civilly though

I dont have anything against those who prefer the manga. And not all manga fans are bad. Youre one of the good manga fans who I can respect as a genuine good poster

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:14 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Neon Z wrote:

Thank you for citing actual possible examples, not calling me this and that and actually debating civilly though

I dont have anything against those who prefer the manga. And not all manga fans are bad. Youre one of the good manga fans who I can respect as a genuine good poster
For Black SSJ
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/810186407813619712

For the final battle of the Future Trunks arc
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... alk-vol-2/
Toyotarō: Zamasu actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft.
Note that the "Zamasu" there was clarified to be merged Zamasu (https://twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vjump/stat ... 7627515904)

Also this bit
That’s right. Ultimately things need to head towards the conclusion indicated by Toriyama-sensei‘s original draft, but during that process I want to give various characters things to do. (...) For instance, if the goal is for Goku to have a direct showdown with Zamasu at the end, I can’t simply have Goku reach that point in peak condition. There needs to be various twists and turns before the two can face off against each other. This time around in the “Future Trunks arc”, there were many such twists and turns that I created… though I was a bit uncertain about them…

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:27 pm

HeroR wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:[

Ehhh, maybe. Generally Toriyama has been keeping Vegeta on equal footing with Goku recently (the anime kinda messed with this by not giving Vegeta something to match Kaioken for a long time), but he could always get something else that makes him as strong as UI, but he has to manually dodge everything like when he dodged Jiren's punches. Maybe with that limitation Vegeta's own "thing" could be stronger than UI, but Goku is overall better due to his auto dodging and such. I can't see Vegeta being left in the dust for long, so I think he'll either get UI before too long or get something else to at least put him in that realm.
Except Toriyama allowed Toei to used Blue Kaioken, so he wasn’t that keen keeping them equal. Especially since both the anima and manga suggested that Goku for reasons was 10x stronger than Vegeta. The anime did this by making Goku stronger, while the manga weakened Vegeta with him losing 90% of his power. So in it was in the outline that Goku was stronger. There’s also the Future Trunks Saga where apperently, Goku soloed Merged Zamasu in Toriyama’s version. Overall, it seems like they’re equal, but not really.

Vegeta really just did a version of what Goku did to Hit. He observed and used what he saw to see through Jiren’s attacks. Can Vegeta get a form physically stronger than UI, it’s hard to say since we don’t know much about Goku’s form. Like why did it give him UI and turn his hair silver upon mastering it?

And the Dragon Ball manga ended with Vegeta being a form behind Goku and EOZ strongly implied he never bridged the gap. So I can see Toriyama basically doing the same thing. Overall, I see a Super Saiyan 4 situation. He may get UI, but it isn’t in the near future.
To say that in the outline Goku was above Vegeta using as base the SSB Kaioken used in the tournament of Champa is supposition.
If that was the case, then in the manga we would also see Goku above Vegeta, but that did not happen. It became clear that the SSB KK was just a TOEI choice.

In the manga, Vegeta was only surpassed at the end of the FT saga, and in the next saga he has already equaled Goku again, something that did not happen in the anime. It makes a lot more sense to think that in the sketch, Goku and Vegeta would be alternating during the sagas (in one moment Goku is superior, in another Vegeta it is superior) as it happened in DBZ. Only in the DBS anime did not happen.

The fact that DBZ ends up with Goku stronger than vegeta does not mean that in DBS this can not be different.
In DBS we saw Vegeta equate to Goku during several sagas, this is already different from what we saw in DBZ

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Getting off topic but as much as I enjoy Vegetto I would have preferred Toriyama’s original idea of Vegeta and Goku fighting together to beat a villain

Ah well maybe one day we will actually get that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: To say that in the outline Goku was above Vegeta using as base the SSB Kaioken used in the tournament of Champa is supposition.
If that was the case, then in the manga we would also see Goku above Vegeta, but that did not happen. It became clear that the SSB KK was just a TOEI choice.

In the manga, Vegeta was only surpassed at the end of the FT saga, and in the next saga he has already equaled Goku again, something that did not happen in the anime. It makes a lot more sense to think that in the sketch, Goku and Vegeta would be alternating during the sagas (in one moment Goku is superior, in another Vegeta it is superior) as it happened in DBZ. Only in the DBS anime did not happen.

The fact that DBZ ends up with Goku stronger than vegeta does not mean that in DBS this can not be different.
In DBS we saw Vegeta equate to Goku during several sagas, this is already different from what we saw in DBZ
Not really since in both versions, Goku was stronger? The reasons why differ. The anime made Goku actually stronger, while the manga nerf Vegeta to hell.

In Toriyama's version of the outline, Goku soled Merged Zamasu. So Goku was above Vegeta there too for reasons. There was no alternation. Vegeta in the Future Trunks Saga wasn't stronger than Goku even in Toriyama's version of events.

The only sagas they were really equal in was Resurrection 'F', which even Whis said Vegeta was inferior. So Toriyama's stance seemed to be 'they're equals, but not really'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 pm

With regards to the main topic, I think it's simply in the nature of the series that Vegeta will remain behind Goku.

Personally speaking, I don't think the Ultra Instinct is a suitable path of improvement for the prince of all Saiyans, nor do I think the showrunners think that either. I think where we're at is the best possible scenario going forward.

Goku is still superior and Vegeta still sees him as a rival, but he uses Goku's progress as a measure by which to push himself. However, instead of chasing after Goku's means of getting stronger, Vegeta instead goes down his own path, as seen when he evolved his SSB form into something that Goku himself didn't possess.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:51 pm

Neon Z wrote:
ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
Neon Z wrote:

For Black SSJ
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/810186407813619712

For the final battle of the Future Trunks arc
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... alk-vol-2/
Toyotarō: Zamasu actually wasn’t all that strong of a character in the original draft I received from Toriyama-sensei. Though immortal, his strength was such that two Super Saiyan Blues were more than enough to take him on. It’s precisely because of this that in the original draft things unfolded so that his “immortality” and “Potara time limit” became key, and Goku and Vegeta took turns fighting him. Goku and Vegeta didn’t fuse in the original draft.
Note that the "Zamasu" there was clarified to be merged Zamasu (https://twitter.com/TOYOTARO_Vjump/stat ... 7627515904)

Also this bit
That’s right. Ultimately things need to head towards the conclusion indicated by Toriyama-sensei‘s original draft, but during that process I want to give various characters things to do. (...) For instance, if the goal is for Goku to have a direct showdown with Zamasu at the end, I can’t simply have Goku reach that point in peak condition. There needs to be various twists and turns before the two can face off against each other. This time around in the “Future Trunks arc”, there were many such twists and turns that I created… though I was a bit uncertain about them…
I'm honestly confused by this post. Or maybe I'm misresding it

Toyotaro is essentially saying he did things differently from Toriyama's original draft?

Especially when he says this

"Ultimately things need to head towards the conclusion indicated by Toriyama-sensei‘s original draft, but during that process I want to give various characters things to do."

Basically he wants to take his own liberties in how he gets to points A and B etc

Maybe I worded it poorly but my question was, things that only happened in the manga that were from Toriyama's outlines

Even though its hard to get that kind of information, there is one concrete example for the anime with the namekian book of legends

I dont know, this to me kind of confirms that Toyotaro is much more about doing his own thing between points A and B.

The tournament of power arc in the manga is especially just going to be Toyotaro's adaption of the Toriyama/Toei anime arc

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:58 pm

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:Toyotaro is essentially saying he did things differently from Toriyama's original draft?

Maybe I worded it poorly but my question was, things that only happened in the manga that were from Toriyama's outlines
Toyotaro talks both about the original draft and about his changes to it. Several of the elements he mentions about the original draft there (Zamasu having a time limit, Goku and Vegeta tag teaming merged Zamasu, final battle is Goku vs Zamasu) weren't in the anime, but were in the manga. And then there's the SSJ Black one, which is mentioned by Toriyama's design note I linked above, appears in the manga, but isn't in the anime.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:41 pm

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote: To say that in the outline Goku was above Vegeta using as base the SSB Kaioken used in the tournament of Champa is supposition.

Not really since in both versions, Goku was stronger? The reasons why differ. The anime made Goku actually stronger, while the manga nerf Vegeta to hell.

In Toriyama's version of the outline, Goku soled Merged Zamasu. So Goku was above Vegeta there too for reasons. There was no alternation. Vegeta in the Future Trunks Saga wasn't stronger than Goku even in Toriyama's version of events.

The only sagas they were really equal in was Resurrection 'F', which even Whis said Vegeta was inferior. So Toriyama's stance seemed to be 'they're equals, but not really'.
Well, Vegetto appeared in both anime and manga, but he was not in the script for Toriyama.

What I meant was that although Vegeta was weaker than Goku in the fight against Hitto (because of the SSB's energy expenditure), overall they were still at the same level, and that kept up.
In the FT saga, both in the anime and in the manga, Vegeta overcame Goku before the battle against Merged Zamasu.

Especially because he was the only one capable of defeating Black at that moment.

In FNF, Whis never said that Vegeta was inferior to Goku in terms of power, this was just related to his personality.
In the manga, during the Champa tournament, Goku and Vegeta were also on the same level (using 100% of their power), in FT saga Vegeta was only surpassed at the end, and soon after matched again.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Well, Vegetto appeared in both anime and manga, but he was not in the script for Toriyama.

What I meant was that although Vegeta was weaker than Goku in the fight against Hitto (because of the SSB's energy expenditure), overall they were still at the same level, and that kept up.
In the FT saga, both in the anime and in the manga, Vegeta overcame Goku before the battle against Merged Zamasu.

Especially because he was the only one capable of defeating Black at that moment.

In FNF, Whis never said that Vegeta was inferior to Goku in terms of power, this was just related to his personality.
In the manga, during the Champa tournament, Goku and Vegeta were also on the same level (using 100% of their power), in FT saga Vegeta was only surpassed at the end, and soon after matched again.
That's because Toyo suggested something and Torimama said 'okay'. My point was that in Toriyama's head, given what we know, Goku was always superior to Vegeta even as far as the Future Trunks Saga.

The Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan energy expenditure was only in the manga, however. In the anime, Hit was simply superior to Vegeta. So what we can guessed is that Vegeta lost to Hit, but the manga added the line 'well, he only lost because Vegeta wasted too much energy on Cabba'.

That really doesn't matter since Merged Zamasu is stronger than what Vegeta fought, so he didn't 'overcome' Goku. Especially in the manga where Goku and Black never even fought, so we have no comparison.

Actually, he said Vegeta was always 'one step behind Goku'. For reference, Vegeta said the same thing when he saw Blue Kaioken. This wasn't just a personality statement.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:02 pm

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:

That's because Toyo suggested something and Torimama said 'okay'. My point was that in Toriyama's head, given what we know, Goku was always superior to Vegeta even as far as the Future Trunks Saga.

The Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan energy expenditure was only in the manga, however. In the anime, Hit was simply superior to Vegeta. So what we can guessed is that Vegeta lost to Hit, but the manga added the line 'well, he only lost because Vegeta wasted too much energy on Cabba'.

That really doesn't matter since Merged Zamasu is stronger than what Vegeta fought, so he didn't 'overcome' Goku. Especially in the manga where Goku and Black never even fought, so we have no comparison.

Actually, he said Vegeta was always 'one step behind Goku'. For reference, Vegeta said the same thing when he saw Blue Kaioken. This wasn't just a personality statement.
Energy expenditure is in both.Watch episode 38 just around hit fight.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Hawk9211 wrote: Energy expenditure is in both.Watch episode 38 just around hit fight.

Goku said was that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan drained stamina, but energy lost wasn't the reason why Vegeta lost to Hit in the anime.
Kanassa wrote:

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:09 pm

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:

And I'm saying that the fact that something is present in both anime and manga does not necessarily mean that it's in Toriyama's script.
We do not know if Toriyama specified saying '' Goku was stronger in the fight against Hitto, '' but we know that SSB Kaioken most likely was something that TOEI created, just like Toyotaro's MSSB.

In the anime, Hitto just overcame Vegeta in the fight against Goku.

Goku did not have to face Black for us to know he was weaker.
Vegeta SSB was being defeated by Black SSJ in the manga, and was destroyed by Black SSJ Rosé. Vegeta only managed to overcome it after training in RoSaT and used the strategy of switching between God and Blue.

Whis said that Vegeta was always a step behind Goku, and asked if Vegeta knew why. And then Whis said that this is related to his personality (I do not remember exactly the lines, but it is related to his personality)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:14 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
And I'm saying that the fact that something is present in both anime and manga does not necessarily mean that it's in Toriyama's script.
We do not know if Toriyama specified saying '' Goku was stronger in the fight against Hitto, '' but we know that SSB Kaioken most likely was something that TOEI created, just like Toyotaro's MSSB.

Vegeta SSB was being defeated by Black SSJ in the manga, and was destroyed by Black SSJ Rosé. Vegeta only managed to overcome it after training in RoSaT and used the strategy of switching between God and Blue.

Whis said that Vegeta was always a step behind Goku, and asked if Vegeta knew why. And then Whis said that this is related to his personality (I do not remember exactly the lines, but it is related to his personality)
True, but until you have evidence, you can't say it wasn't either.

In the manga, Toyo dumped Vegeta's power to 90%, which made Goku 10x stronger than Vegeta, which is basically what the anime did with the Kaioken.

Hit didn't have to overcome Vegeta, he easily beat him.

Not really since again, Goku fighting Merged Zamasu is a greater feat than Vegeta beating up Black since Merged Zamasu is much stronger. Which Goku did in Toriyama's version of events according to Toriyama and there was no Mastered Blue.

He was behind because of the way trained, but it was also a power statement. Namely, he said he would always remained behind Goku because he didn't relaxed and worked too hard. And he was too focused on Goku.
Kanassa wrote:

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:58 pm

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:

True, but until you have evidence, you can't say it wasn't either.

In the manga, Toyo dumped Vegeta's power to 90%, which made Goku 10x stronger than Vegeta, which is basically what the anime did with the Kaioken.

Hit didn't have to overcome Vegeta, he easily beat him.

Not really since again, Goku fighting Merged Zamasu is a greater feat than Vegeta beating up Black since Merged Zamasu is much stronger. Which Goku did in Toriyama's version of events according to Toriyama and there was no Mastered Blue.

He was behind because of the way trained, but it was also a power statement. Namely, he said he would always remained behind Goku because he didn't relaxed and worked too hard. And he was too focused on Goku.
Vegeta SSB was stronger than Hitto, only lost by not knowing Time Skip. Hitto would only beat Vegeta after raising Time Skip to 0.5 seconds.

It was said that the key to beating Merged Zamasu in Toriyama's script would be Goku and Vegeta SSB, taking turns and waiting for the time of the merger to end.
The fact that Goku confronts Zamasu in the end would probably only refer to the fact that he would be the last to face him, but not that he was the only one (after all, both alone would be able to beat him).

No, it was not a declaration of power, Whis just said that his senses are constantly on the edges and that Vegeta needed to relax more.
This is related to your personality