Goku's Story Is Over

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Goku's Story Is Over

Post by ernesth100 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 am

Well It's Clearly About That Time. Goku's Has Achieved A Power Even The God's Can't Easily Attain. He has Ascended Through All The Levels Of Power A Saiyan can ascend through. He has achieved a power that literally allows him to never loose. He has become the greatest fighter or at least one of the greatest fighters in all of fiction with this new form. So the question is where after Super for Goku? Well, nowhere. Goku has no challenges after this unless Jiren gets even stronger or UI becomes something Vegeta attains as well, or Toriyama pulls some BS out and a new villain that can challenge Goku arises.

But personally I feel this is it. This is as far as Goku can and should go power wise. The next thing they should focus on if anything is a series that focus's on the journeys of the side characters and have Goku take a backseat to the series only appearing as a possible dues-ex machina. Because in all reality any fight he gets into now is quite likely going to be hella one-sided.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Goku's Story Is Over

Post by Totamo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 am

I mean, wasn't this what super saiyan was suppose to be?

We all know what happened after that.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 am

He hasn't won against any gods yet, though. And there's still the angels to consider. Four universes left to explore.

They'll find a way to give him more room to grow. Not to mention that we still have purple, green and orange left for new forms. Even more if they start breaking them down by hues, if Vegeta's transformation is anything to go by.

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am

There's also possible MacGuffins like Zeno removing Ultra Instinct from existence or simply Goku not feeling like he has accomplished a win by himself when UI lets his body move "on his own" and deciding not to use it again.

Either way, I'm curious to see how they will write themselves out of this new corner :)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:24 am

That's what people probably said after he beat Piccolo and Freeza but here we are so with there being 4 stronger universes out there Goku's story is far from over.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 am

I think the biggest issue is that there are so many other stories to be told in this vast multiverse, but it always comes down to Goku.

We're already well on our way to End of Z, only 3 years, in fact.

There's a sense of finality and closure to the developments in the latest arc. Goku has attained a power that will allow him to surpass even Beerus, he's fighting with a being who's even stronger than a God of Destruction in the form of Jiren, and this power seems unbeatable.

There's also the clear references to Uub, and how Goku must take up the mantle of teacher.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 am

What I'm wondering is when will the whole "previously unforeseen" echelon concept start to become wearisome to the fans who have seen it done over many times now. Does nothing need to change? People are clearly still smitten with these lurid transformations so we can almost rest assured that more will likely be seen in the future. Also, Goku isn't going anywhere -- Toriyama had his chance to retire the old guard back during the Cell/Buu arcs and he backpedaled at the last minute. Now he's become too entrenched with the identity of all the series to have him retire without there probably being some serious ramifications to the viewership and revenue (just my guess). I'm more curious to see why they feel the need to drudge up the classic faces. If Goku is such a definably stalwart staple of the show then they shouldn't need to embellish their content with bygone characters -- have him and Vegeta carry the series on their own merit. Surely the intrigue would hold the same with just them...

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am

Hmmmm... Now, where have I heard that one before?
EDIT: btw, I noticed that that my power has ascended beyond the level of newbie. Go me
Get Fucked, C_unt

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:12 am

It wasn't even over when Dragon Ball ended lol So, i don't know where you're getting this from. It's a never ending story.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm

I too am curious to see how they handle his story if they do decide to go even further beyond. But I just feel as if this is the absolute epitome of a warrior. They can chill with Goku now and give him less major roles in the DB Franchise. Other characters need arcs and attention. As for the other universes to explore? I'd love to see that as a possible route. Trunks, Goten and Gohan are just a few. I believe Krillin deserves an arc even if it's a small one. I believe Vegeta and Cabba deserve a U6 Saiyan Arc. And this just isn't something they can do focusing on Goku. A lot of people have been mentioning how Goku has been pulling limit breaking forms out of his bottom left and right. And he's always been doing that but now it's(to me) clear they're running empty on places for Goku to go with his power.

AND ANOTHER THING. He is definately GoD level, don't even try to argue with that; he could probably atm give Beerus a run for his money. If Toppo is a God of Destruction, Vegeta was able to beat him, Jiren is able to beat Vegeta and Goku hurt Jiren and push him to using his full power, then there is ZERO ROOM to say Goku isn't God of Destruction level or possibly stronger. No room at all, he doesn't even have to fight one of the, at least not yet, to prove that he could challenge and beat one. So let's kill that debate there. With that said, the next place for him to go is to the level of the Angels.

I feel as if another place for the series to go is for Goku's newfound power to corrupt him. Perhaps he does beat Jiren but in unleashing a power he's "mastered" but not been exposed to for long, could have some mental effects on his state of mind. Perhaps Goku turns bad? Perhaps he finds himself dangerous in this state of mind and goes into an isolation? Just another thought.

HOWEVER, I'd personally rather see Gohan, Goten and Trunks ascend further. Vegeta as well, I'm Goku sick, I love the guy and all but let him rest.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Been over since Cell saga. Toriyama's only been regressing and flanderizing him since then.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:59 pm

And Uub's begins..
Uub is awesome, he has potential both as a character and inuniverse..
But I would still rather have Goku as the MC, it's simply not Dragonball without him
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Basaku wrote:Been over since Cell saga. Toriyama's only been regressing and flanderizing him since then.
Don't see how Buu Saga Goku is regression. If anything, he's the most logical conclusion from Cell Saga Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Goku has no challenges after this unless Jiren gets even stronger or UI becomes something Vegeta attains as well, or Toriyama pulls some BS out and a new villain that can challenge Goku arises.
The Multiverse is vast and full of mystery. Who knows what kind of powerful fighters are lurking in the four Universes that didn't participate in the Tournament of Power?

Also, there are still figures that Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku cannot defeat. The Angels, the Grand Priest and the Omni-King, for example. It's truly a shame that Super has ended and we haven't even seen the Grand Priest or one of his children in battle; I guess that on the plus side this adds to the mystery of these characters, we don't know yet the full extent of their power (much like in Infinite Zamasu's case, actually). There's also the villain who butchered Jiren's parents, who knows what their current whereabouts are. Personally, Dragon Ball has yet to run out of valid challenges for Goku to fight.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Goku has no challenges after this unless Jiren gets even stronger or UI becomes something Vegeta attains as well, or Toriyama pulls some BS out and a new villain that can challenge Goku arises.
The Multiverse is vast and full of mystery. Who knows what kind of powerful fighters are lurking in the four Universes that didn't participate in the Tournament of Power?

Also, there are still figures that Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku cannot defeat. The Angels, the Grand Priest and the Omni-King, for example. It's truly a shame that Super has ended and we haven't even seen the Grand Priest or one of his children in battle; I guess that on the plus side this adds to the mystery of these characters, we don't know yet the full extent of their power (much like in Infinite Zamasu's case, actually). There's also the villain who butchered Jiren's parents, who knows what their current whereabouts are. Personally, Dragon Ball has yet to run out of valid challenges for Goku to fight.
You're right but it just feels uneccesary at this point. I just want more different characters to get arcs and power boosts.

ZenkaiBoosts
Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 am

ernesth100 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:

You're right but it just feels uneccesary at this point. I just want more different characters to get arcs and power boosts.
And you got that with Super. In fact Super was tooo Vegeta centric IMO. Super made me sick of Vegeta. Goku is the main character and always will be. But in the next series I hope Gohan gets the same treatment that Vegeta got in Super.

The Tournament of Power arc has contained many of my favorite episodes ever and has been one of my greatest arcs in Dragon Ball history

I read your last post, and lets be honest, for a good while Super completely under-valued Goku and shitted on Goku for large portions of the series

Goku has not even had 1 big win yet in Super and didnt even get a win until Kefla in the tournament of power (Goku needs to beat Jiren)

So many people LOVE the Tournament of Power arc because with that arc Super finally brought Goku to the forefront. They finally made Goku great again. Thats what I and many others love

The tournament of power arc has been like classic DBZ for me. I just want things to stay the same with the new series and evolve from that....but with less Vegeta this time

My ONLY disappointment is the poor mistretament of Gohan.

I'm bummed out that we never got to see Goku and adult Gohan fighting side by side as father and son against a major enemy. If they have an arc like that in the new series (and where Gohan even gets a new form) I will be the happiest Dragon Bal fan ever