Why is time not going as it should in the Tournament of Power?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TanishKhatri003

Why is time not going as it should in the Tournament of Power?

Post by TanishKhatri003 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 am

I am really confused right now. Dragon Ball has been messing with time ever since the freeza saga back in the 1980s. But they've reached a new level now. The time now remaining in the tournament of Power is just 2 minutes, and the episodes remaining are 3. Earlier in the tournament, 2 or 3 minutes elasped in just 1 episode. How do they plan to draw out these 2 minutes for 3 episodes?

precita
Banned

Re: Why is time not going as it should in the Tournament of Power?

Post by precita » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:46 am

They are fighting in the fraction of a second.

Remember how Krillin Vs. Jackie Chun had a fight in 7 seconds. Or how Yamcha Vs. Saibaman went so fast that kid Gohan couldn't follow it. They are fighting so fast at super lightspeed.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 am

The last episode will probably be post-tournament.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 am

Don't think too much about it, it's far better. It is completely illogical. The Zamasu arc was the only arc in Super were time made sense, as it was an arc that spanned for several days. This current arc is all fighting, fighting, fighting, there is no logic involved in it.
Remember how Krillin Vs. Jackie Chun had a fight in 7 seconds. Or how Yamcha Vs. Saibaman went so fast that kid Gohan couldn't follow it. They are fighting so fast at super lightspeed.
I guess they are also talking at super lightspeed.

TanishKhatri003

Post by TanishKhatri003 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:59 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
I guess they are also talking at super lightspeed.
Yeah, exactly.
That's what I thought. Even if they were fighting at high speeds, talking should take usual time, and yet episodes can only cover upto 3 or 4 minutes, even though the characters talk for more than that

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 am

Well if you think about it, some fights are going on at the same time, and if you cut out flashbacks and inner monologues, then it could work. There is some videos on YouTube that are able to make this work out well.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:20 am

Technically the Freeza arc is still worse. In the tournament we're having 48 minutes in 34 episodes; in the Freeza arc, it was 5 minutes for ~20 episodes.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

TanishKhatri003

Post by TanishKhatri003 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:48 am

Zephyr wrote:The last episode will probably be post-tournament.
Is there any confirmation?
Because I don't think that they would end the fight in just two episodes, and we still have freeza on the fighting stage. He won't stay quiet for long.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:09 am

No confirmation, but I can't see them going with "Tournament ends, roll credits". We'll see.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:34 am

Two more minutes = two more fighting episodes, one epilogue episode.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 am

Just imagining the fights as occurring 20-30 times faster than they're shown happening isn't all that difficult.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:37 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Just imagining the fights as occurring 20-30 times faster than they're shown happening isn't all that difficult.
The talking parts are difficult to imagine though. What do they, talk at super high speeds? :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am

Xeogran wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Just imagining the fights as occurring 20-30 times faster than they're shown happening isn't all that difficult.
The talking parts are difficult to imagine though. What do they, talk at super high speeds? :lol:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... FreeAction
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am

The Grand Priest confused Namek's minutes with Earth's.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 am

The whole "five minutes" scenario in the Freeza arc happened over the course of 9 episodes/8 chapters. If anything, the Tournament Of Power has technically better pacing if we're going by a minute per episode ratio.

TanishKhatri003

Post by TanishKhatri003 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 am

Torturephile wrote:The Grand Priest confused Namek's minutes with Earth's.
The grand priest gave the time in some new unit, I forgot what it was. Whis was the one who said that the tournament would last 48 minutes.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:14 am

TanishKhatri003 wrote:
Torturephile wrote:The Grand Priest confused Namek's minutes with Earth's.
The grand priest gave the time in some new unit, I forgot what it was. Whis was the one who said that the tournament would last 48 minutes.
The unit that Daishinkan gave was in "Taks". The tournament takes place over approximately 100 Taks.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 am

Time is not going as it should in the Tournament Of Power because the Super anime's writing staff have a poor sense of pacing.

And let's be real here, Super's pacing has always been pretty damn slow. The problem with the TOP is that they gave us a number, which the Super anime staff decided not to change to fit the show's pacing.
At least with Freeza's 5 minutes, most of the time you saw passing was either during fighting -- which could just be going fast -- or during cutaways to other things, so you could say that rather than seeing the 5 minutes linearly with cutaways to what's going on elsewhere at that time, you're seeing 5 minutes from many different perspectives, which multiplies the on-screen time you see, and of course, the timescales might not be exactly right(Small things like seeing someone making a turn down a corridor, then you cut to the next shot, and they're still going round that corner; minor adjustments to the timescale that means it doesn't quite match up to realtime), and of course, Freeza could very well have been lying about the 5 minutes figure; could be more like 7 or 8 minutes, and he just said "5 minutes" to throw Goku off(Like how he exaggerated how much his 100% max power form would increase his power), so it all does just about line up.

ToP just straight-up doesn't track logically from any point of view at all, and fixing it would have been as simple as crossing out "48 minutes" from the story outline they were given, and writing "4 hours".
The timescale would still be a little wonky(To make it fit perfectly, they'd probably need more like 8 or 10 hours), but Super's pacing is wonky anyway -- fixing the timescale this is on to a point that it's concrete would require the writing staff to spend a lot of time mapping out all the events across the timeline, figuring out exactly what every member of the team is doing at any given time, and planning things out a lot more carefully, which would basically completely overhaul the story. Honestly, I imagine what happened was they were probably told something like "Do it in X episodes", and the staff basically said "Eh, screw it, we'll do it like this and hope no one notices the nonsensical timing."
As far as simple fixes go, 4 hours would probably be good enough for people to suspend their disbelief, especially if the narrator was a little more vague about the amount of time left when talking about it.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:23 am

Sandubadear wrote:Technically the Freeza arc is still worse. In the tournament we're having 48 minutes in 34 episodes; in the Freeza arc, it was 5 minutes for ~20 episodes.
It was only 9 episodes for Namek.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:35 pm

I mostly dislike the time thing as we're supposed to believe that Kale goes through a character arc or two and acquires about 3 different Super Saiyan forms all in the span of what, 25-30 minutes? Or how Goku can attain the power everyone but the Angels are shit at using and will master it in 10-15 minutes in-universe?

I mean, Namek is really dumb, but even Namek didn't have Goku attain the basic SS then go through all the grade forms and then master SS1 all in an implausibly short amount of time.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):