Do you like the Super Saiyan Blue form?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Do you like the Super Saiyan Blue form?

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:28 pm

Personally I don’t like it and wish they had just kept ssg as the only god form until Mastered UI and have Goku/Geets keep improving that form rather than introducing a recolor that’s never felt impressive or special and has nothing unique about it

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Do you like the Super Saiyan Blue form?

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 pm

I don't have problem with recolor as long the color look neat so I'm just gonna give my opinion on both take of the transformation.
    In the Anime is a joke,is been used in way too much unneeded situation like Kale,in space,etc.Thats is the reason why him powering up in the special had no impact on me.It does looks great in some scenes.
      I prefer this form in the Manga,it feels more special there and it has a unique concept of the completed form.
        It also have an awesome aura.
        Mostly active on discord.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm

I think the idea and concept behind SSB was kind of cool actually.

An SS form with god ki.

You had the sayians taking the best of 2 different worlds (SS and god ki) and putting it together. Basically a god version of SS

It was the first time Goku and Vegeta ever experienced god ki. For that time period i think SSB was neat

In some scenes SSB looked great too. But in others it looked bad. It really depended on the shading and coloring. When the hair was spikier and a lighter blue, like baby blue, it looked great IMO

Even though I do agree that SSB really wasnt that imaginative of an asthetic design, I feel SSB still had its moments and was ultimately hit or miss IMO. I cant knock the concept/idea behind it though.

Grimlock
        Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 pm

No. But I like the concept behind it. I think it was an interesting idea of Toriyama to make a god transforming into Super Saiyan, but its design couldn't be any worse.
        We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Alruneia
        I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 pm

I like it in the manga. In the manga it has flaws, namely stamina consumption and a power drop, which impose some interesting restrictions and introduce the need to master the form, and then that mastered form comes with its own quirk where it can damage the user's body. I love that it's not just a simple power-up. Sadly, I can't say the same for the anime version, where a simple power-up is pretty much exactly what it is.
        Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
        JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
        Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Marlowe89
        Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:56 pm

The gr wrote:I prefer this form in the Manga,it feels more special there and it has a unique concept of the completed form.
        Agreed. Blue certainly carries more impact and weight in the manga because it's generally reserved only for the toughest situations, and the severe stamina drawback allows it to exude that much more of a "shit-just-got-real" type vibe when it can finally be utilized properly at full power. I'm personally not very big on the form's aesthetic, but if I was a fan I think I'd definitely prefer Toyotaro's portrayal of it over Toei's.

As much as I've often bemoaned Super Saiyan God's relative lack of showcasing in the anime, I should probably be grateful that it didn't receive the same overused treatment in the long run.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Alruneia wrote:I like it in the manga. In the manga it has flaws, namely stamina consumption and a power drop, which impose some interesting restrictions and introduce the need to master the form, and then that mastered form comes with its ow
        Marlowe89 wrote:
        The gr wrote:I prefer this form in the Manga,it feels more special there and it has a unique concept of the completed form.
        Agreed. Blue certainly carries more impact and weight in the manga because it's generally reserved only for the toughest situations, and the severe stamina drawback allows it to exude that much more of a "shit-just-got-real" type vibe when it can finally be utilized properly at full power. I'm personally not very big on the form's aesthetic, but if I was a fan I think I'd definitely prefer Toyotaro's portrayal of it over Toei's.

As much as I've often bemoaned Super Saiyan God's relative lack of showcasing in the anime, I should probably be grateful that it didn't receive the same overused treatment in the long run.
        n quirk where it can damage the user's body. I love that it's not just a simple power-up. Sadly, I can't say the same for the anime version, where a simple power-up is pretty much exactly what it is.
        Blue is literally the same thing in the manga

Toyotaro just uses it less.

But if anything, I feel Toyotaro placing a stamina drain or artifical stamina problem on Blue kind of nerfed Blue and blatantly went against the whole concept of the form "efficient god ki"

The whole point of Blue was supposed to be that because its god ki, its a more efficient powerful SS with superior energy and utilisation

It just goes to show how Toyotaro really doesnt understand Toriyama's visions and the essence of Dragon Ball

Even though the Toriyama/Toei anime used Blue way too much, it actually was an efficient form that could be used at any time because Goku and Vegeta were shown to have such a firm grasp of it

...and regardless of anything else, I will always prefer moving animation with music, and will always prefer TO WATCH the newest form in the anime etc

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 pm

I used to. It was kind of cool at first when it made its debut in Resurrection F, but that was due mostly to a combination of the fancy aura plus Goku and Vegeta's swanky new outfits. The baseline traits of the SSGSS form weren't all that good, but the total package was.

Nowadays in Super, though? When Goku and Vegeta have regressed back to their Z attire, the fancy god-ki aura doesn't show up most of the time, and that oh-so "godly" power gets matched or surpassed left and right? Yeah, not digging it, at all. The "Super Saiyan Blue" nickname is depressingly apt, since it really is nothing more than a recolored, supposedly-stronger clone of Super Saiyan now.

From the start, since SSGSS was supposed to be "a Super Saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan God," then the form should have kept the other traits that made Super Saiyan God special. Namely the lean physique and the visible pupils. That would have at least helped. I've always wondered how good the form would have looked if it kept SS God's red and combined it with Super Saiyan's gold to become a deep orangey color instead. I oughta draw that.

Anyway, that's just from a visual design angle. You could probably spend a full hour straight talking about ways the form should have been better used, to keep it seeming like something truly god-level in power and scope. Make it tricky to use somehow, don't let everyone catch up to its power out of nowhere, etc. As has already been said, like most things the Super manga at least does a little better with this aspect.
        deviantART
        FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
        [thread]
        Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
        Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
        ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
        (Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
        A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kataphrut
        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 pm

I might as well repeat what I've said earlier. It was REALLY good in episode 39 of the anime...and that's it. The fact that it's sole highlight comes from borrowing the hype of an old classic form, the Kaioken, albeit in an interesting way speaks volumes.

I do prefer Blue as a colour, that's why my ideal streamlined version of the God forms would be Super Saiyan God as shown in Battle of Gods with the slim build, but blue hair instead of red.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 pm

My thoughts coincide heavily with Kaboom's. Visually, SSGSS should've had more elements of Super Saiyan God incorporated into its design than just a fancy-looking aura, and it really sucked the way it kept getting matched and surpassed left and right. That and the way Vegeta attained it (he just trained) really killed what was special and unique about it and by extension Super Saiyan God, though I guess that's more of a problem with how Dragon Ball is written as a whole.

All in all, I wish they just stuck with Super Saiyan God as Goku's and Vegeta's ultimate form for a while, and I likewise wish it took them a couple of arcs before they really got the hang of using it.
        My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Logania
        Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 pm

I don't like it, or hate it. It's SSJ with God Ki so it makes sense it's just a recolor, that doesn't bother me. I don't like the color they chose though, why did they make it this really ugly dull teal color instead of...you know...blue? It just looks unappealing when I see it ESPECIALLY without the aura around it.

SSJB Kaioken however looks pretty cool clashing the blue and red together and having multiple auras around it.
        "I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

GamerSkull
        Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm

Not really. But then again, none of the forms post-SSJ on Namek appealed to me aside from Gohan's SSJ2 transformation and Super Saiyan 4.

That being said, it does look aesthetically nice when Goku has it and is using kaioken with it.

I guess I agree with some of what the others had said... it has become more underwhelming with the amount of people that could match and beat it and the fact that Vegeta was able to attain it off-screen through some sort of training (and this is why I was never a fan of how SSJ was given to him in the original manga). Add to it that the original SSJG form was barely utilized up to that point that it felt a bit unnecessary to have a new transformation so soon.
        Last edited by GamerSkull on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
        "Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

MKCSTEALTH
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:11 am

I enjoy the form. But I feel the sudden stamina drawback introduced in the ToP was an odd choice. I understand the manga did it but the anime and manga have been separate entities. Otherwise, I've enjoyed it

TheShadowEmperor8055
        Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:28 am

Kaboom wrote:I used to. It was kind of cool at first when it made its debut in Resurrection F, but that was due mostly to a combination of the fancy aura plus Goku and Vegeta's swanky new outfits. The baseline traits of the SSGSS form weren't all that good, but the total package was.

Nowadays in Super, though? When Goku and Vegeta have regressed back to their Z attire, the fancy god-ki aura doesn't show up most of the time, and that oh-so "godly" power gets matched or surpassed left and right? Yeah, not digging it, at all. The "Super Saiyan Blue" nickname is depressingly apt, since it really is nothing more than a recolored, supposedly-stronger clone of Super Saiyan now.

From the start, since SSGSS was supposed to be "a Super Saiyan with the power of Super Saiyan God," then the form should have kept the other traits that made Super Saiyan God special. Namely the lean physique and the visible pupils. That would have at least helped. I've always wondered how good the form would have looked if it kept SS God's red and combined it with Super Saiyan's gold to become a deep orangey color instead. I oughta draw that.

Anyway, that's just from a visual design angle. You could probably spend a full hour straight talking about ways the form should have been better used, to keep it seeming like something truly god-level in power and scope. Make it tricky to use somehow, don't let everyone catch up to its power out of nowhere, etc. As has already been said, like most things the Super manga at least does a little better with this aspect.
        Agreed. Felt like they just ended up dropping whatever was introduced in the movie.

Hawk9211
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 am

ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
        Alruneia wrote:I like it in the manga. In the manga it has flaws, namely stamina consumption and a power drop, which impose some interesting restrictions and introduce the need to master the form, and then that mastered form comes with its ow
        Marlowe89 wrote:

n quirk where it can damage the user's body. I love that it's not just a simple power-up. Sadly, I can't say the same for the anime version, where a simple power-up is pretty much exactly what it is.

But if anything, I feel Toyotaro placing a stamina drain or artifical stamina problem on Blue kind of nerfed Blue and blatantly went against the whole concept of the form "efficient god ki"

The whole point of Blue was supposed to be that because its god ki, its a more efficient powerful SS with superior energy and utilisation

It just goes to show how Toyotaro really doesnt understand Toriyama's visions and the essence of Dragon Ball

Even though the Toriyama/Toei anime used Blue way too much, it actually was an efficient form that could be used at any time because Goku and Vegeta were shown to have such a firm grasp of it

...and regardless of anything else, I will always prefer moving animation with music, and will always prefer TO WATCH the newest form in the anime etc
        Source for the bolded?

You do realise that the stamina issue for ssb was also present in anime during U6 tournament and it was just handwaved and brought back in top without showing it.At least,support your bias with facts instead of random non sense.
        Why power levels are important?
        The genre and roots of dragon ball

Spider-Man
        Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:02 am

I like the form but it is use to much on unnecessary situation like The space poacher, against Krillin ,Kale,etc,The manga version of this form is much better.

ZenkaiBoosts
        Banned

Post by ZenkaiBoosts » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:07 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
        ZenkaiBoosts wrote:
        Alruneia wrote:I like it in the manga. In the manga it has flaws, namely stamina consumption and a power drop, which impose some interesting restrictions and introduce the need to master the form, and then that mastered form comes with its own quirk where it can damage the user's body. I love that it's not just a simple power-up. Sadly, I can't say the same for the anime version, where a simple power-up is pretty much exactly what it is.

Source for the bolded?

You do realise that the stamina issue for ssb was also present in anime during U6 tournament and it was just handwaved and brought back in top without showing it.At least,support your bias with facts instead of random non sense.
        Thats no way to have a discussion. Calling me biased. Saying I'm writing non sense. Check your tone and learn to respectfully discuss.

Simply watch the anime where its stated again and again that Blue is a more energy efficient form then SSGod.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:25 am

Well, it's my favorite transformation, so I do not have much to say.

I think what attracted me to this form was the aura. It's simply amazing, full of details, brilliant, has subtle rays (like SSJ2) and behaves in a different way. Hair color is also pretty, especially with the aura (so I like Vegeta's Beyond Blue so much).

But in several moments of the anime, the SSB was not well designed and this took a little the impact that the form has. But when it's well designed, for me it's one of the most beautiful shapes visually.

In Toriyama's view, the SSB was also considerably leaner than the base Goku, just like the SSG, so this also seemed to be a trace of God, but in the movie they did not.
        But I do not think he had any way to escape the concept of form. It was literally the SSJ form of SSG. What did people want? The SSG also did not have many changes in appearance.

In the manga, surely the SSB is better treated. It is used few times, and always shockingly, as if it were the last resort, and it has been explored.

What strikes me the most is that this form still receives so much hatred, when SSJ Rosé was still "worse", because it was a recolor of the SSB itself.

FrostByte
        Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Yes,but its overused.

Marlowe89
        Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:41 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: But I do not think he had any way to escape the concept of form.
        You're probably correct that the reason for the form's appearance was tied to how it was conceived. The original concept of the form, according to supplementary materials at the time, was that SSGSS is the result of a (base) Saiyan with the power of a Super Saiyan God transformed into a Super Saiyan, so that would explain why it was more of a palette-swapped Super Saiyan rather than some new-looking form that shared traits with Super Saiyan God.

Of course the narrative seems to have changed since then, with the manga and other materials recently even implying that they're all a part of the same transformation line. I suppose in that context, one could rationalize it in a manner similar to how Super Saiyan 2 is a Super Saiyan that has surpassed a Super Saiyan.

To borrow a popular anecdote, it's turtles (Super Saiyans) all the way down.