Will GT ever get a manga adaptation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Will GT ever get a manga adaptation?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

So I know we have animanga in Japan, but with the dragon room being made, do you think they will do an adaptation of GT? I wouldn't mind a good artist giving their take on it. I know it being 20 years later, there is a slim chance but I think it would be neat.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: Will GT ever get a manga adaptation?

Post by TheMikado » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:51 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:So I know we have animanga in Japan, but with the dragon room being made, do you think they will do an adaptation of GT? I wouldn't mind a good artist giving their take on it. I know it being 20 years later, there is a slim chance but I think it would be neat.
In 2013, an anime comic version of Dragon Ball GT began running in Shueisha's Saikyō Jump magazine. It began serialization in the January 2014 issue, which was released on December 4, 2013.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:14 am

TheMikado wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:So I know we have animanga in Japan, but with the dragon room being made, do you think they will do an adaptation of GT? I wouldn't mind a good artist giving their take on it. I know it being 20 years later, there is a slim chance but I think it would be neat.
In 2013, an anime comic version of Dragon Ball GT began running in Shueisha's Saikyō Jump magazine. It began serialization in the January 2014 issue, which was released on December 4, 2013.
Damn, I never heard of that. I want to read it now.

It's not still running now though, right? Did it last long?
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:43 am

There is a chinese illegal maInga adaptation that covers until the end of baby i think.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 pm

If anything Toyotaro could adapt GT in manga form himself and recreate the story.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:00 am

Almighty Majin wrote:If anything Toyotaro could adapt GT in manga form himself and recreate the story.
I'd love to see that.

I don't imagine it's particularly likely, but it'd be really cool to see.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:58 am

Probably not unless GT itself gets some kind of anime remake to connect it to Super's events.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:06 am

There are plenty of things that Toyotaro could fix with GT if he wanted, down to the most minute of details, such as base Trunks killing Mutchy, while SSj Goku was struggling against him etc.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 am

sintzu wrote:Probably not unless GT itself gets some kind of anime remake to connect it to Super's events.
I mean, I don't think that's necessary. Victory Mission didn't need an anime; The Case Of Being Reincarnated As Yamcha didn't need an anime; Dragon Ball SD didn't need an anime...

A retelling of GT done by Toyotaro with him getting free reign over the story could be a really cool limited-run thing for him to do during the hiatus.

Plus, an anime remake of GT would be pretty insulting to everyone who worked on the original.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 am

Robo4900 wrote:A retelling of GT done by Toyotaro with him getting free reign over the story could be a really cool limited-run thing for him to do during the hiatus.

An anime remake of GT would be pretty insulting to everyone who worked on the original.
I'd love for that to happen but I don't think it will.

That didn't stop them from remaking the last 2 movies into Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:24 am

It'd be great to see some of the concepts of GT redone, but I'm pretty sure it will never happen in anime format. And I'd rather explore new territory as well.

The main thing that'd be great to see adopted are some of the designs like SSJ4 and Goku's outfit change.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 am

At this point? Very doubtful, a new post-EOZ series with an accompanying manga is more likely than that IMO

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:48 pm

sintzu wrote:That didn't stop them from remaking the last 2 movies into Super.
That's a totally different thing. Redoing GT would essentially be taking all the work that was put into GT 20 years ago, and throwing it out -- that includes a lot of work done by people who are no longer with us, such as Hiromi Tsuru -- in favour of rewritten material telling basically the same story in a new light.

Meanwhile, the Super retellings were essentially just remakes of those two movies done with the exact same people as the movies, and done right after Resurrection F came out.

It's not even remotely the same situation.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote:That didn't stop them from remaking the last 2 movies into Super.
That's a totally different thing. Redoing GT would essentially be taking all the work that was put into GT 20 years ago, and throwing it out -- that includes a lot of work done by people who are no longer with us, such as Hiromi Tsuru -- in favour of rewritten material telling basically the same story in a new light.
Not saying you're wrong, but... you do realize that basically every entertainment company in the world does countless remakes, retellings, reboots etc. right? Hard to find something that was NOT remade sooner or later than not really. It's definitely a legitimate point/criticism that in some way it disrespects the work, art and/or craftsmanship of the original creators but... the reality is what it is

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm

They redid the movies because it would have been odd starting a series from the u6 arc, since contrary to popular belief, not every kid saw BoG n RoF.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:05 am

Unlike literally every other Dragon Ball series, Super's entire foundation is based off two movies. It made sense to retell the foundation of the show IN THE SHOW.

GT ended over 20 years ago.