Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by Herms » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm

NOTE:
Please watch the episode with any necessary subtitles before discussing: Crunchyroll / Daisuki / FUNimation
Also, please make sure to follow the Kanzenshuu Forum Rules. You may wish to review examples of unwelcome posts, as well.

-------------------------------

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Super Episode 129, aired 4 March 2018

限界超絶突破!身勝手の極意極まる!!
Genkai Chōzetsu Toppa! Migatte no Goku'i Kiwamaru!!
Limits Super Surpassed! Ultra Instinct Mastered!!

Summary:

Having awakened to Ultra Instinct for the third time, Goku starts fighting back against Jiren. In the bleachers, Whis notes that this latest appearance of Ultra Instinct is without a doubt their last chance; breaking through his limits to reach the level of the gods takes a heavy toll on Goku’s body, and he has no more allies or means of recovery left. While Goku’s movements have grown sharper than before, he is still unable to deal Jiren a decisive blow. This is the same problem he had earlier when battling Kafla: he can’t help but think while attacking, which interferes with Ultra Instinct.

To cope with this weakness, Goku adopts the same strategy as before, and charges up a Kamehameha as he draws closer to Jiren. Goku fires his blast at close range, but Jiren blocks it with a small hand-held ki blast, and counterattacks Goku. Toppo notes that Jiren has managed to get a handle on Goku’s movements and the depth of his power through their previous fight and by observing Goku’s battle with Kafla. Goku drops to the arena floor, but it turns out he avoided a direct hit by using the flow of his Kamehameha as a barrier.

Despite Goku’s persistence, Belmod remains unfazed: it doesn’t matter how good Goku’s defenses are if he can’t back it up with a solid offense. This incomplete Ultra Instinct is merely a delaying tactic, and Universe 11’s victory is still only a matter of time! However, Vegeta points out that calling it “incomplete” implies that there remains something even greater beyond it. The Saiyans have already broken through their limits repeatedly throughout the tournament, so it’s too soon to declare Goku’s defeat now.

Belmod seems disturbed by Vegeta’s words, and orders Jiren to ring Goku out immediately. Vegeta reminds Goku that he has entrusted him with his promise to Cabba and the others, and his pride as a Saiyan, so Goku can’t lose here. Goku pauses to breathe deeply before taking Jiren on again, and while at first it seems like he’s corrected himself, he still fails to turn the tables. While Tenshinhan and the others wonder if Goku is about to lose to Jiren as before, Whis assures everyone that there’s nothing to worry about: Goku is concentrating purely on the fight, his focus eliminating all worries, and his ki steadily rising.

Khai and Toppo are amazed that the heat radiating from Goku’s body is even reaching them out in the bleachers, and Belmod again urges Jiren to finish Goku off at once. Jiren responds by showering Goku with an incessant barrage of rapid-fire punches. Not only does Goku have his hands full blocking these countless blows, but the attacks are causing the ground beneath him to crumble away, meaning that at this rate he will drop out of bounds before too long. Piccolo and the others worry about Goku’s chances, but Beerus simply tells them to shut up and watch.

Though Belmod thinks that Beerus has resigned himself to fate, Toppo notices sparks as Goku’s fists begin to clash against Jiren’s; he’s switching from defense to offense! Soon Goku lands a powerful blow to Jiren’s chest, knocking him back. The Omni-Kings are amazed as Goku’s white-hot ki lights up the arena. Breathing deeply again, Goku gathers the ki around him into his body. Watching this, Jiren realizes that he must respond in kind, and powers up even further, giving off tremendous heat of his own. Jiren concentrates his ki into a single ball that he fires at Goku, but Goku appears behind him holding the ball in his hand.

Crushing the ki ball, the now shining Goku moves towards Jiren, dodging his punch and landing a few attacks of his own. The Omni-Kings continue to be impressed at Goku’s newfound power, and the Great Priest declares that this is indeed a super turn of events. Beerus and Whis can tell that, incredibly enough, Goku has managed to reach the completed version of Ultra Instinct. As Goku goes on knocking Jiren around with ease, the glow surrounding his body clears to reveal he now sports radiant silver hair and silver eyes.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 129 (4 March 2018)

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:29 pm

That was a beautiful episode. WOW.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:35 pm

A lot of reused animation throughout the episode, but god damn was that final scene thrilling. I had the biggest fucking smile on my face. I actually cannot wait for the next episode.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 pm

In the end it always comes down to who has the biggest balls, and Goku... You just broke Jiren's
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Kanassa wrote:In the end it always comes down to who has the biggest balls, and Goku... You just broke Jiren's
Have I mentioned how much I crave your posts?

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:38 pm

This fight was hyped sooooo well. This is the most I felt myself rooting for the characters in the show as opposed to just watching since Goku finally put down Boo.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:In the end it always comes down to who has the biggest balls, and Goku... You just broke Jiren's
Have I mentioned how much I crave your posts?
I don't think we've ever talked before.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Kanassa wrote:In the end it always comes down to who has the biggest balls
I think Zarama safely wins in that category.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm

Awful, just awful. Nothing but re-used animation except for a few select instances. This show needs to be put out of its misery already... :thumbdown:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 pm

MrTennek wrote:Awful, just awful. Nothing but re-used animation except for a few select instances. This show needs to be put out of its misery already... :thumbdown:
Man seriously, come on the last 5 minutes of this episode were astounding. Fair enough the first half was fairly standard fare with reused animation yes, but the episode on the whole was a positive.

Goku glowing in that harsh white blue light holding jirens energy ball... And then flicking it away like nothing after all we've seen from this guu. One of my new favourite moments ever.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:58 pm

Belmod sure was talking a lot of shit. I really want to see his reaction to the fight's conclusion.

Overall, the episode had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Also, it felt off that the narrator didn't chime in to tell us how much time is left.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

The first half for the high bar OMEN had set up, was pretty lackluster honestly. I'm surprised they saved everything for the last 5 minutes again. I thought OMEN would get more fantastic fight choreography, but it wasn't really there. First half or so of the episode was alright, but the final bits are where the true hype are. Now if only they could drag that hype across an episode, rather than only have it at the very end.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:00 pm

Holy shit, I am hype as fuck for next week. That was fantastic.

I think my favorite part, even over the last 5 minutes, was Vegeta shutting Belmod up by telling them all that they're idiots for not realizing Saiyans have plot-power. That was fucking great.

And Beerus' face when he realized what had happened...I really, really want the series to end in a short, fast Goku vs Beerus fight.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Holy shit, I am hype as fuck for next week. That was fantastic.

I think my favorite part, even over the last 5 minutes, was Vegeta shutting Belmod up by telling them all that they're idiots for not realizing Saiyans have plot-power. That was fucking great.

And Beerus' face when he realized what had happened...I really, really want the series to end in a short, fast Goku vs Beerus fight.
Loved those moments as well. And yes I feel like ending on something to do with goku and beerus would be great, coming full circle since he was introduced.

Also bad news super is off again next week. 2 week wait.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Holy shit, I am hype as fuck for next week. That was fantastic.
I think it's off again next week :( then 2 left.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I think my favorite part, even over the last 5 minutes, was Vegeta shutting Belmod up by telling them all that they're idiots for not realizing Saiyans have plot-power. That was fucking great.
YES! I forgot to bring this up! What a fantastic scene. I especially loved his line "Since when did gods become so hasty?" He made them look like total morons and I fucking loved it.

A really nice touch in that final scene was when the Gods of Destruction all stood up to just respect Goku's ascension to Mastered UI. It just feels so powerful when you do something like that. Seeing Whis all happy for Goku and Beerus smiling gave me chills man. What a fantastic final scene. More than made up for the episodes shortcomings with its reused animation.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm

Great episode though I'm not surprised Toei left MUI Goku to the final moments of the episode
Last edited by jeffbr92 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I think my favorite part, even over the last 5 minutes, was Vegeta shutting Belmod up by telling them all that they're idiots for not realizing Saiyans have plot-power. That was fucking great.
YES! I forgot to bring this up! What a fantastic scene. I especially loved his line "Since when did gods become so hasty?" He made them look like total morons and I fucking loved it.

A really nice touch in that final scene was when the Gods of Destruction all stood up to just respect Goku's ascension to Mastered UI. It just feels so powerful when you do something like that. Seeing Whis all happy for Goku and Beerus smiling gave me chills man. What a fantastic final scene. More than made up for the episodes shortcomings with its reused animation.
Yep writing was well on point this episode. Honestly the only dissapointing thing this episode for me was the majority of the omen fight, 10 minutes after viewing and i cant rememeber anything of note until goku was in that crouched position with his arms shaking to counter attack jiren.

The kamehameha was just unremarkable because anyone could tell you that would not be a final blow. At least it was sorta cool he used it to defend with I guess.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Despite my general iffiness on Goku getting another hair color change, this was a solid episode. There was nothing about it that amazed me or that I wasn’t expecting to see, but it was handled pretty well and this whole thing is definitely feeling like an epic final battle. I’m also pretty excited that we’re finally getting to the very end of this tournament. While the arc as a whole has been mixed for me, I’m looking forward to seeing how it ends.

Elvis143BRA

Post by Elvis143BRA » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:26 pm

I absolutely have no idea how people can like this and be so excited without turning their brains off. This is the conclusion of an arc filled with so many fodder characters, fodder and boring fights, lack of emotions and stakes, filler-like episodes because they have been so bad where the writers go out of their way to give the biggest asspull in DB history since the Korin's holy water for the main protagonist to fight an antagonist with no proper background and personality.

Honestly, I will just read on how the series end like I did in the King Piccolo arc.