The winner of the Super Dragon Balls is the Last Man Standing, I was right

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: Winner of the Super Dragon Balls: Best fighter, or Last Man Standing?

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:28 pm

It's all gonna depend on which contender did Zeno say "Sugoi! Sugooooooi!!" to the most. Rules don't apply to the midget lords lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 am

I think it's reasonable to assume it's the most outstanding fighter on the winning team, it has yet to be known whether that fighter has to still actively be in the tournament.

If Goku did everything he did and then Anilaza defeated all of universe 7 and the Jiren's team defeated him, Goku would still likely be the most outstanding fighter. Also there are other considerations. What if Jiren does in fact eliminate Goku. He would theoretically be the better fighter.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am

It's probably going to be Freeza who wins, but the only thing of value he could wish for at the moment is resurrection which would piss off Goku and Beerus and seal his fate after the TOP, so his only option will be to hand the SBD over to Goku and trust him to keep his word and resurrect him with Earth's dragon balls.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 am

The way I interpreted it is a mix of both: The best fighter in the last universe standing gets the wish. Obviously the wish can't go to a person in a universe that's already erased, so it has to be a fighter from the winning universe. And picking one out of those ten would be more of a best fighter thing. Who the best fighter is could be based on amount of eliminations, or it could be the fighter still left in the ring (you'd have a problem if more than one fighter remained), or it could be some unknowable "Zeno factor".
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am

Alruneia wrote:The way I interpreted it is a mix of both: The best fighter in the last universe standing gets the wish. Obviously the wish can't go to a person in a universe that's already erased, so it has to be a fighter from the winning universe. And picking one out of those ten would be more of a best fighter thing. Who the best fighter is could be based on amount of eliminations, or it could be the fighter still left in the ring (you'd have a problem if more than one fighter remained), or it could be some unknowable "Zeno factor".
Zeno Enjoyment Factor will probably play a big part in it. The show hasn't been tracking KOs on an individual basis and didn't lay down any rules for scoring so it doesn't seem like it's going that direction. Unless GP HAS somehow been tabulating the results in his head. :lol:

If Frieza does manage to get the Dbs somehow he's in a pickle because he needs a god to translate his wish (which I don't think he knows) so his plan to control them is a bit of a non-starter. He'll probably get a SQUISH if he just blurts it out.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that at the end of the tournament, Zeno is going to choose his favorite fighter from the surviving universe and declare them the "best fighter." And we all know Goku is his favorite, so he's almost certainly going to get the wish, especially after that Ultra Instinct thing.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Alruneia wrote:The way I interpreted it is a mix of both: The best fighter in the last universe standing gets the wish. Obviously the wish can't go to a person in a universe that's already erased, so it has to be a fighter from the winning universe. And picking one out of those ten would be more of a best fighter thing. Who the best fighter is could be based on amount of eliminations, or it could be the fighter still left in the ring (you'd have a problem if more than one fighter remained), or it could be some unknowable "Zeno factor".
Zeno Enjoyment Factor will probably play a big part in it. The show hasn't been tracking KOs on an individual basis and didn't lay down any rules for scoring so it doesn't seem like it's going that direction. Unless GP HAS somehow been tabulating the results in his head. :lol:

If Frieza does manage to get the Dbs somehow he's in a pickle because he needs a god to translate his wish (which I don't think he knows) so his plan to control them is a bit of a non-starter. He'll probably get a SQUISH if he just blurts it out.
Which will probably lead to Goku wishing on the Super Dragon Ball.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:29 am

If Freeza doesn't get the wish I'm gonna pissed as that makes the "twist" ending completely pointless.

That was the only reason I was okay with it so hopefully they stick to their guns here. Don't chicken out.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 am

With it being the last man standing it leaves the door open for a lot of speculation as it could be multiple fighters.

Could it be Goku for having UI ? Could it be Vegeta for taking down the most fighters, including a destroyer candidate ? could it be Freeza for being as cleaver as he's been which might result in him taking down Jiren ? could it be 17 for his sacrifice and endurance ? could it be Jiren for possibly being stronger than UI ? could it be Gohan for his vocal fans ? could it be Piccolo for the amount of arms he's lost ?

With how many times Vegeta talked about his wish, it'd be fitting to let him have it based on what he did as that'd be out of nowhere.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am

sintzu wrote:With it being the last man standing it leaves the door open for a lot of speculation as it could be multiple fighters.

Could it be Goku for having UI ? Could it be Vegeta for taking down the most fighters, including a destroyer candidate ? could it be Freeza for being as cleaver as he's been which might result in him taking down Jiren ? could it be 17 for his sacrifice and endurance ? could it be Jiren for possibly being stronger than UI ? could it be Gohan for his vocal fans ? could it be Piccolo for the amount of arms he's lost ?

With how many times Vegeta talked about his wish, it'd be fitting to let him have it based on what he did as that'd be out of nowhere.
I would really like it if Vegeta got his wish. He's become the most developed character in the series, and he really deserves the wish with all he's done in the tournament. I suspect the wish will be the same whether Vegeta or Goku get it, though. But if Goku got the wish, he'd probably be a lot less careful in his wording.

Vegeta's wish: "I want Universe 6 revived. If I can't have that, revive that universe's Saiyans and put them in Universe 7."

Goku's wish: "I wish for ALL the erased universes to be unerased."

Zeno: "But that's too many universes!"

Grand Priest: "The entire point of this tournament was to reduce the number of universes to a more manageable number."

Goku: "Oh yeah. Hmm... How about if you put them all in my universe? Then we'd still have the same number of universe, right?"

Then they'd end up with all the universes that were erased during and before the tournament (remember, there were originally 18 universes) all crammed into one. No doubt, some ancient evil from universes 13-18 would be revived with them.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:Goku: "Oh yeah. Hmm... How about if you put them all in my universe? Then we'd still have the same number of universe, right?"

Then they'd end up with all the universes that were erased during and before the tournament (remember, there were originally 18 universes) all crammed into one. No doubt, some ancient evil from universes 13-18 would be revived with them.
Never mind what I said earlier, I want Goku to get the wish if that's what he'll ask for. Can you imagine how big the dragon world will be with all those planets and being in one area ? the sky will be the limit for the amount of stories they can tell.

Another thing is that we'll get a u7 team for the next tournament of Goku, Vegeta, Jiren, Toppo, Hit, Kefla, etc. that's a dream team come true.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:43 am

WELL WELL, LOOK WHO WAS RIGHT. You guessed it, ME. The winner is the last man standing.
Get Fucked, C_unt

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:WELL WELL, LOOK WHO WAS RIGHT. You guessed it, ME. The winner is the last man standing.
Your speculation turned out to come to pass, that doesn't mean that you were right to claim that it could not have been any other way or any other way would have been stupid. That's like saying I was right to claim that the next coin flip just had to come up as "heads", even if that happened to be the case.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The winner of the Super Dragon Balls is the Last Man Standing, I was right

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:17 am

At the end of the day, #17 was the last man standing, so we didn't get to see this possible best fighter stipulation be relevant, if there were more fighters left upon time running out.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:20 am

darzap wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:WELL WELL, LOOK WHO WAS RIGHT. You guessed it, ME. The winner is the last man standing.
Your speculation turned out to come to pass, that doesn't mean that you were right to claim that it could not have been any other way or any other way would have been stupid. That's like saying I was right to claim that the next coin flip just had to come up as "heads", even if that happened to be the case.
Not really lol. I gave reasons to explain why it was stupid if it was the other way around, so it wasn't based on chances like the coin flip. Find a better example mate
Get Fucked, C_unt

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 am

Wow, I actually forgot about this little detail. I've never bothered too much with this side of the discussion, but I did believe that the best fighter in the tournament and the one who gets the wish was not necessarily going to be the last person in the ring.

Something like Jiren winning, but Goku being proclaimed the best fighter.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:01 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Not really lol. I gave reasons to explain why it was stupid if it was the other way around, so it wasn't based on chances like the coin flip. Find a better example mate
It wasn't technically based on chances because it surely decided internally by the time we discussed it, still, chances are the best way to describe that which cannot be known and it couldn't be known back then because there was no explicit confirmation of who would get the wish in the show or in published material. You gave reasons why you considered certain options stupid, others pointed out, that there were not-necessarily-stupid ways to follow those options anyways and, as you know like every adult person following Dragon Ball Super, this show does tons of retcons, contradicts its internal logic, uses deus ex machina, to circumvent logic problems and so on and so forth anyway, so I stand by it: You made a prognosis and it came to pass, Geekdom might've said "You're a great prognosticator", but unless you had insider knowledge, you were wrong to claim that other options were not viable. And this is the only reason I immediately responded to your thread back then and do it now: The unjustified claims of certainty (not necessarily meaning that the underlying prediction would be unjustified if it was just voiced as a prediction) surrounding DBS are rampant and it's worthwhile to remind people of the difference between prediction (even if those predictions have some supporting arguments) and certainty.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:05 am

darzap wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Not really lol. I gave reasons to explain why it was stupid if it was the other way around, so it wasn't based on chances like the coin flip. Find a better example mate
It wasn't technically based on chances because it surely decided internally by the time we discussed it, still, chances are the best way to describe that which cannot be known and it couldn't be known back then because there was no explicit confirmation of who would get the wish in the show or in published material. You gave reasons why you considered certain options stupid, others pointed out, that there were not-necessarily-stupid ways to follow those options anyways and, as you know like every adult person following Dragon Ball Super, this show does tons of retcons, contradicts its internal logic, uses deus ex machina, to circumvent logic problems and so on and so forth anyway, so I stand by it: You made a prognosis and it came to pass, Geekdom might've said "You're a great prognosticator", but unless you had insider knowledge, you were wrong to claim that other options were not viable. And this is the only reason I immediately responded to your thread back then and do it now: The unjustified claims of certainty (not necessarily meaning that the underlying prediction would be unjustified if it was just voiced as a prediction) surrounding DBS are rampant and it's worthwhile to remind people of the difference between prediction (even if those predictions have some supporting arguments) and certainty.
Jesus Christ, you went all intellectual on me. Fair enough though, you have a good point. But beign right is all I care about, and oh man, it feels good
Get Fucked, C_unt

Deathbeam

Post by Deathbeam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:11 am

I don't see what is the point of arguing since the MVP and the last man standing coincide.

And I don't understand why, according to some users, being MVP is all about how many contenders you send off the stage.