Fantasy Ocean Dub Voice Cast for Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Fantasy Ocean Dub Voice Cast for Super

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:31 am

If Super did get a Ocean dub, who would you like to see. I would like to see Peter Kelamis return as Goku and I would like to see his take on Goku Black. Since they had Drummond for Copy Vegeta in the Funimation dub, they can get Sabat to voice Copy Vegeta in the Super Ocean dub. Marÿke Hendrikse could make a good Vados in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Fantasy Ocean Dub Voice Cast for Super

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Richard Ian Cox and Lee Tockar respectively dubbed Goku and Frieza in Ocean Kai, so, I think they could stay for the roles again in Super, the same goes to the biggest part of the old ocean cast.

About the new characters, I thought in some names:

Battle of Gods Saga
Beerus: Richard Newman
Whis: Riley Murdock
Oracle Fish: Sabrina Pitre

Resurrection 'F' Saga
Sorbet: Vincent Tong
Shisami: Marco Soriano
Tagoma: Hans Wackershouser

Universe 6 Tournment
Champa: Micheal Daingerfield
Vados: Maryke Hendrikse
Kyabe: Nick Wolfhard
Hit: Micheal Shepherd
Frost: Lee Tockar
Botamo: Scott Roberts
Magetta: ???
Zen'oh: Jocelyn Loewen

Fake Vegeta Arc
Gryll: Michael Dobson
Fake Vegeta: Chris Sabat

Black Goku Saga
Gokuu Black: Richard Ian Cox
Zamasu: Alex Zahara
Gowasu: Brent Miller
Daishinkan: Gabe Khouth

I have no much ideas now for the Universal Survive Saga, but this can change later.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:28 pm

For the Kamikaze Fireballs, they could get the DIC Sailor Moon voice actresses to dub them in a fantasy Ocean dub of Super.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Note: This list isn't complete.

Beerus: Colin Murdock
Whis: Brendan Hunter
Jaco: Gabe Khouth
Sorbet: Peter New
Shisami: Brian Dobson
Tagoma: Vincent Tong
Hit: Michael Adamthwaite
Quintela: Scott McNeil
Vados: Nicole Oliver
Zen'Oh: Chantal Strand
Champa: Terry Klassen
Goku Black: Richard Ian Cox
Zamasu: Alex Zahara
Gowasu: Davey Grant
Jiren: Michael Daingerfield Hall
Toppo: Richard Newman
Dyspo: Peter Kelamis
Caulifla: Ashleigh Ball
Kale: Andrea Libman
Ribrianne: Shannon Chan-Kent
Saonel: Dave Pettitt
Pirina: Ethan Cole
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Assuming everyone from Ocean Kai reprises their roles, and that everyone new to the Boo arc is brought back from the Westwood dub(Basically because I liked all the Boo arc Westwood castings)...

Battle of Gods Arc
Beerus: Brian Dobson
Whis: Peter Kelamis

Universe 6 Arc
Champa: Paul Dobson
Vados: Enuka Okuma
Cabba: Aiden Drummond
Hit: Paul Dobson
Omni-King: Cathy Weseluck
Copy Vegeta: Chris Sabat
Gryll: Roger Rhodes

Black Arc
Goku Black: Ian Corlett
Zamasu: Kirby Morrow
Gowasu: French Tickner

No idea about the Universe Survival arc, really. I stopped watching after episode 102, and the manga is only part of the way into the tournament so far.

(Note that I have Ian Corlett as Black, Peter Kelamis as Whis, Kirby Morrow as Zamasu, and then presumably Richard Ian Cox is still Goku. That would mean all the Ocean Gokus would share a few scenes in the Black arc. Now wouldn't that be awesome? I did a similar kind of casting gag with Copy Vegeta and Gryll)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat May 05, 2018 2:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Assuming everyone from Ocean Kai reprises their roles, and that everyone new to the Boo arc is brought back from the Westwood dub(Basically because I liked all the Boo arc Westwood castings)...

Battle of Gods Arc
Beerus: Brian Dobson
Whis: Peter Kelamis

Universe 6 Arc
Champa: Paul Dobson
Vados: Enuka Okuma
Cabba: Aiden Drummond
Hit: Paul Dobson
Omni-King: Cathy Weseluck
Copy Vegeta: Chris Sabat
Gryll: Roger Rhodes

Black Arc
Goku Black: Ian Corlett
Zamasu: Kirby Morrow
Gowasu: French Tickner

No idea about the Universe Survival arc, really. I stopped watching after episode 102, and the manga is only part of the way into the tournament so far.

(Note that I have Ian Corlett as Black, Peter Kelamis as Whis, Kirby Morrow as Zamasu, and then presumably Richard Ian Cox is still Goku. That would mean all the Ocean Gokus would share a few scenes in the Black arc. Now wouldn't that be awesome? I did a similar kind of casting gag with Copy Vegeta and Gryll)
Your casting is not bad, but it seems repetitive, since most of the actors you listed already worked in the Ocean dub before, but doing different characters. Also, why Champa and Hit sharing the same actor?

And why Ian Corlett as Black Goku? I understand your point, but Black still has Goku's vocal chords, so, it should be Richard Ian Cox voicing him.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:11 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Your casting is not bad, but it seems repetitive, since most of the actors you listed already worked in the Ocean dub before, but doing different characters.
Eh, I don't see much of a problem there.
Presumably, a real Ocean Super dub would have a much more varied cast than what I've got written here, but the voices I'm most familiar with are the ones who were already in Dragon Ball, so why not, right? If the voice seems like it'll fit, I don't see why not.
SaintEvolution wrote:Also, why Champa and Hit sharing the same actor?
Why not? :lol:
If Farnsworth, Fry, Zoidberg, and Zapp Brannigan can share the same actor in Futurama, I don't see why Champa and Hit can't in Super.
SaintEvolution wrote:And why Ian Corlett as Black Goku? I understand your point, but Black still has Goku's vocal chords, so, it should be Richard Ian Cox voicing him.
I don't think having an entirely different person in that person's body would result in the same voice.
On one hand, having Richard Ian Cox voice him would probably work, assuming he did a somewhat different, but still somewhat similar voice...

But here's the thing, having Ian Corlett voice Black would be a really neat thing. I have Kirby Morrow down as Zamasu, and those two have somewhat similar-sounding voices, so it would provide the hint that "Hmm... This Goku Black has a somewhat similar voice to that Zamasu guy..."

Plus, if we can do Brian Drummond as Copy Vegeta in Funi Super, and Chris Sabat as Copy Vegeta in the hypothetical Ocean Super, why not, right? Surely the same criticism would apply? :)
I think it'd be a lot of fun to have Corlett as Black, Kelamis as Whis, Morrow as Zamasu, and Cox as Goku. On top of the fact they'd all give fun performances in the roles, it'd be a really neat thing.

Ultimately, these fantasy castings are all silly fun anyway, so a lot of mine is just a "Why not?" attitude with many of the choices being "Ooh, that could be a fun deep cut", and given the attitude of Super's production("lets put all the characters on screen and figure out the plot later! merchandising! marketing!"), I think filling the cast with casting gags and other such nostalgic choices from Dragon Ball's past is pretty fitting to what Super is.
I think these voices could all be fun, even though to be honest, I'm sure Ocean would probably cast more-fitting actors for most of the ones I suggested.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sat May 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:Your casting is not bad, but it seems repetitive, since most of the actors you listed already worked in the Ocean dub before, but doing different characters.
Eh, I don't see much of a problem there.
1 - Presumably, a real Ocean Super dub would have a much more varied cast than what I've got written here, but the voices I'm most familiar with are the ones who were already in Dragon Ball, so why not, right? If the voice seems like it'll fit, I don't see why not.
SaintEvolution wrote:Also, why Champa and Hit sharing the same actor?
2 - Why not? :lol:
If Farnsworth, Fry, Zoidberg, and Zapp Brannigan can share the same actor in Futurama, I don't see why Champa and Hit can't in Super.
SaintEvolution wrote:And why Ian Corlett as Black Goku? I understand your point, but Black still has Goku's vocal chords, so, it should be Richard Ian Cox voicing him.
3 - I don't think having an entirely different person in that person's body would result in the same voice.
On one hand, having Richard Ian Cox voice him would probably work, assuming he did a somewhat different, but still somewhat similar voice...

But here's the thing, having Ian Corlett voice Black would be a really neat thing. I have Kirby Morrow down as Zamasu, and those two have somewhat similar-sounding voices, so it would provide the hint that "Hmm... This Goku Black has a somewhat similar voice to that Zamasu guy..."

Plus, if we can do Brian Drummond as Copy Vegeta in Funi Super, and Chris Sabat as Copy Vegeta in the hypothetical Ocean Super, why not, right? Surely the same criticism would apply? :)
I think it'd be a lot of fun to have Corlett as Black, Kelamis as Whis, Morrow as Zamasu, and Cox as Goku. On top of the fact they'd all give fun performances in the roles, it'd be a really neat thing.

4 - Ultimately, these fantasy castings are all silly fun anyway, so a lot of mine is just a "Why not?" attitude with many of the choices being "Ooh, that could be a fun deep cut", and given the attitude of Super's production("lets put all the characters on screen and figure out the plot later! merchandising! marketing!"), I think filling the cast with casting gags and other such nostalgic choices from Dragon Ball's past is pretty fitting to what Super is.
I think these voices could all be fun, even though to be honest, I'm sure Ocean would probably cast more-fitting actors for most of the ones I suggested.
1 - Well, I just said it because in this situation, some characters could suffer from the "same voice syndrome".

2 - That is okay happening with american fun cartoons, but with anime stuff that should be taken seriously (even if Super has comedy stuff), I don't think it would work well.

3 - The tone is different, but the voice in itself isn't. It's still Goku's body with the same vocal folds.

About Clone Vegeta, even if is a clone it's still a different body, and it's purple, so, visually, the effect on putting a different voice isn't so big.

4 - Good point.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:51 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:1 - Well, I just said it because in this situation, some characters could suffer from the "same voice syndrome".
I think these actors have enough range to avoid that.
SaintEvolution wrote:2 - That is okay happening with american fun cartoons, but with anime stuff that should be taken seriously (even if Super has comedy stuff), I don't think it would work well.
Dragon Ball is a Japanese fun cartoon. Super isn't unique in its comedy stuff, Dragon Ball began as a gag manga, and even when it started to introduce more intense stuff in the Red Ribbon and Piccolo arcs, it always maintained a healthy sense of humour throughout the entire run.
Remember the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive?
You've just got your head stuck in the animation age ghetto.

Besides, even if you were right, tone doesn't have any effect on how much range the actors have.
SaintEvolution wrote:3 - The tone is different, but the voice in itself isn't. It's still Goku's body with the same vocal folds.

About Clone Vegeta, even if is a clone it's still a different body, and it's purple, so, visually, the effect on putting a different voice isn't so big.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, this is a Japanese fun cartoon.
Besides, the Vegeta thing really doesn't hold up to that; the whole point is he's an exact duplicate, just purple. In Japanese, it was the same actor.
SaintEvolution wrote:4 - Good point.
:D

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:02 am

Robo4900 wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:1 - Well, I just said it because in this situation, some characters could suffer from the "same voice syndrome".
I think these actors have enough range to avoid that.
SaintEvolution wrote:2 - That is okay happening with american fun cartoons, but with anime stuff that should be taken seriously (even if Super has comedy stuff), I don't think it would work well.
Dragon Ball is a Japanese fun cartoon. Super isn't unique in its comedy stuff, Dragon Ball began as a gag manga, and even when it started to introduce more intense stuff in the Red Ribbon and Piccolo arcs, it always maintained a healthy sense of humour throughout the entire run.
Remember the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive?

Besides, even if you were right, tone doesn't have any effect on how much range the actors have.
SaintEvolution wrote:3 - The tone is different, but the voice in itself isn't. It's still Goku's body with the same vocal folds.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, this is a Japanese fun cartoon.
Besides, the Vegeta thing really doesn't hold up to that; the whole point is he's an exact duplicate, just purple. In Japanese, it was the same actor.
SaintEvolution wrote:4 - Good point.
I fucking love you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sun May 06, 2018 4:39 am

Might as well for the key characters ATM but not Tournament of Power. Yet. And of course these castings are based after the designs.

Brian Dobson - Beerus
Trevor Devall - Whis
Caitlyn Bairstow - Seeker the Oracle Fish, Arale Norimaki
Mark Hildreth - Tagoma
Michael Donovan - Sorbet
Michael Dobson - Shisami
Paul Dobson - Champa
Kathleen Barr - Vados, Mai
Lee Tockar - Frost
Jason Simpson - Botamo
Brian Drummond - Hit, Zamasu, Pilaf
Adrian Petrw - Cabba
Peter New - Aura Maggeta, Shu
Maryke Hendriseke - Zen-Oh
Scott McNeil - Gryll
Nick Landis - Copy Vegeta
Alec Willows - Gowasu

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 06, 2018 10:36 am

Robo4900 wrote:
1- Dragon Ball is a Japanese fun cartoon. Super isn't unique in its comedy stuff, Dragon Ball began as a gag manga, and even when it started to introduce more intense stuff in the Red Ribbon and Piccolo arcs, it always maintained a healthy sense of humour throughout the entire run.

2 - Remember the episode where Goku and Piccolo learn to drive?

3 - Again, this is a Japanese fun cartoon.

1 - I don't disagree with that.

2 - Actually, I think it's the opposite. I think on animation as a good and important gender to all ages. And because of that I think that voice casts should be bigger, that brings a lot os realism to the voices. Being honest, one person doing one character is much more realistic and gives the character much more identity to them than having 1 guy voicing 30 characters. I think cartoons like Futurama and Simpsons should follow this kind of work too, instead of having 6 voices for most of the cast.

3 - Actually, it was a different actor. I mean, in the episode 44, it was the same actor, but in episodes 45 and 46 it was Masakazu Morita imitating Horikawa on doing Copy Vegeta's voice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I fucking love you.
Haha. Right back at 'ya, buddy. :)
SaintEvolution wrote:2 - Actually, I think it's the opposite. I think on animation as a good and important gender to all ages. And because of that I think that voice casts should be bigger, that brings a lot os realism to the voices. Being honest, one person doing one character is much more realistic and gives the character much more identity to them than having 1 guy voicing 30 characters. I think cartoons like Futurama and Simpsons should follow this kind of work too, instead of having 6 voices for most of the cast.
No, I very much disagree.
If an actor is right for a role, it shouldn't matter if they're already playing anyone else in the show. 'Long as the voice for that character is distinct enough from their previous role(s), there's no issue.
Some actors simply don't have the range for more than a couple of roles, but when you have people like Scott McNeil on your crew, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot to limit yourself like that. If he fits 6 voices, cast him as 6 voices. If he fits 2 voices, cast him as 2 voices. Just do what works to make the cast the best it could be, putting limitations on just because it seems odd from a meta-perspective to have one actor play so many roles is just foolish.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who'd say Billy West should be recast as any of his main roles in Futurama. Well, except maybe if you factor in the fact Phil Hartman was originally cast as Zapp Brannigan before he died, but that's neither here nor there.
Granted, having a large casting pool is always good, and if casting someone else who doesn't already have a role in the show would work out better, then of course, you go with that... Choosing to not cast someone you've already cast in another role who would actually be the best fit is a limitation of exactly the same degree, though.
SaintEvolution wrote:3 - Actually, it was a different actor. I mean, in the episode 44, it was the same actor, but in episodes 45 and 46 it was Masakazu Morita imitating Horikawa on doing Copy Vegeta's voice.
Hm. Didn't know that. That's pretty neat.