Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 130 (18 March 2018)

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:56 pm

They could have done better... Still with Jiren blasting Goku off the stage, but then having Freeza to blast Jiren on his back to also fall of the ring. We could end this god damn episode with Freeza being the last man standing, but no they have to include #17 in every way possible and even worst prolong the battle unnecessarily.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

RIP_Power_Levels

Post by RIP_Power_Levels » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 pm

I don’t understand why some are letting Super’s narrative, character development, plot, etc weigh it down so much in their opinion. For a lot of shows I watch I do value these aspects, just not for Dragon Ball. Why? Because this show is meant to be eye candy first. This isn’t Game of Thrones (admittedly one of the best shows ever made). It’s supposed to be a visual, super powered spectacle to sell merchandise first and foremost, and this episode delivered on that goal spectacularly. If Super had a great narrative I would love this show even more, fantastic. If it doesn’t, I won’t let it bother me and cause me to hate the show. As long as the narrative is so-so I’m happy. I don’t watch this show every week to have a large helping of character and narrative development (which shows like Game of Thrones pull off so well they engross me), I watch every week to set my brain aside for thirty minutes and just enjoy the show for what it is. It’s why millions have watched and loved this show.

On topic, I loved this episode. The animation throughout was stellar, and I’d like to especially commend Tate, as this was his best work so far. To me Tate’s work in this episode came the most naturally and fluidly compared to previous episodes. I did NOT expect 17 to still be alive, and my first reaction was hype. Just one more episode for the series seems a bit rushed to wrap everything up, but I hope it’s pulled off well.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 am

You guys are kinda cute hating on 17 and stating how it makes no sense.

When we had a guy surviving an explosion right before. (Vegeta)

And a guy with ki disappearing and nobody questioning it. (Freeza)

17 has no ki and great speed, so he's the only candidate for perfectly faking his death.

In the preview of the episode, he mentioned his "secret plan". And he was friendly to Jiren then suddenly started trash talking him to provoke him, precisely to allow him to fake his death.

His sacrifice was not dramatic, it took 10 seconds, had no flashback at all, and nobody even mentioned him in the following episodes, or maybe just said his name for 2 seconds.

Hell most people hadn't realized he "died" until they didn't see him on the bench.

Outside of Piccolo in FNF (super version), that was probably the least dramatic death of a main character we had gotten, and now we know why.

Awesome he's still in, and this trio of Goku 17 Freeza is awesome ! Hopefully the finale delivers !
Last edited by Slaythe on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:00 am

Until this episode, I was 100% expecting episode 131 to end with the universes being revived, now I am not so sure. Still think its highly likely but after the spoilers being totally misleading in terms of what was going to happen plus 17 being alive theory coming true, I can't rule out anything. I would lmao if 17 wishes for his ship at the very

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 am

Great spectacle episode, but the writing wasn't quite at the same level. Still didn't offend me nearly as much as 66, despite demonizing Jiren for no good reason. I ain't huge on the friendship is amazing thing, but it's not compelling. It's just fine. Too bad that didn't work for Vegeta. 17 returning was a massive surprise. I knew there was no way in hell Goku was eliminated, even from the beginning as falling from the arena could mean a lot of things from the summary. Feel glad to know paying attention to the detail in more than one way would pay off.

17 returning though I need to see the final episode to really cement if it's a good thing or not. It's promising but that's about it. The constant one upping of power though gets pretty tiresome though. I think if they cut a few of Jirens power ups it'd be better. Also I knew they would freaking kill the Ultimate Battle theme. I feared they'd do it, and they did. They ripped out it's hype by having it played way too much, and especially played it too soon into the episode. I still like the song....but seriously use it sparingly, don't beat it like a dead horse. They also managed to both make Jiren more expressive and yet worse because of his actions. There is just no winning with that guy.

I will say though that Ultra Instinct now kinda just feels...disappointing. I mean Omen kinda looked more impressive with how it moved and demonstrated it's ability. This is the fully mastered super awesome form hyped up from since ROF....and now it kinda forsakes the presence it shoulda had. Honestly Goku getting hit isn't for me the problem, but rather how he does. Jiren fighting smarter shoulda been the key to him getting attacks, which we do see from time to time, and other times not so much. Kinda like how in Xenoverse you could really only hit UI Goku by either tiring him out or being a little more clever. Otherwise he dodges you a lot. It'd be really cool if Jiren expanded on what he did before, and what Freeza and Gohan did. Basically limit Goku's moving area so even while having this dodge sense, he wouldn't have many places to go. The last episode did that perfectly, forcing him to go head to head.

Still I had a good time at least. One more to go.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:02 am

Doctor. wrote:
precita wrote:Jiren is an asshole who only cares about strength, and this ep showed his true colors. Not sure what you expected, Jiren was always a jackass. Glad to see it confirmed.
Yes, and that is generic and makes the character seem like a caricature of a DB villain. That was my point.
Zeno never marked 17 off as far as I remember. Likewise being an Android they shouldn't be able to sense his energy. I also don't think it makes his sacrifice pointless, it just highlights what 17 was willing to do and the surprise of seeing him still around. Looking back at it now people said his sacrifice didn't have enough impact, now I can see why because he was planned to return.
That's a poor excuse. The Grand Priest and the Angels have shown a greater ability to assess the situation than everyone else; they should have known #17 was still alive just like Whis and the Grand Priest pointed out multiple times during the tournament that someone was alive when someone thought a character was dead or knocked out. It's pointless because it's a poor bait-and-switch. It tries to get you emotionally invested in a character that you think will die only to show that he's OK after all.
Jiren is still unbelieveably powerful and Goku just mastered it with his body not being used to it. It was never supposed to make you completely un=hittable.
Again, nice excuses. A shame the show doesn't provide them to you.
This is the same thing Dragonball has always done, what the Spirit Bomb scenes are about, what characters giving Goku energy is about, and what Goku always does. He'll always save and believe in his friends and fight for them. This is what Dragonball is about.
Not exactly sure which show you've been watching, but Dragon Ball has never been this melodramatic and was always subtle in its execution of its emotional moments. You very rarely have characters blatantly screaming out what they're about, what they're fighting for and making big speeches to power-up because of their resolve. That's not Dragon Ball. That's Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, garbage.
No, when Goku's spirit bomb almostkilled him, Grand Priest said Goku was dead and Jiren wasn't to be accounted for

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:02 am

I am certain Freeza will win.

He hasn't done much all tournament and apparently the movie has a focus on him.

Goku and 17 wouldn't set anything up with their wishes, and in the manga Goku said he'd give the balls to 17. So that means he's not winning.

I can see Freeza ringing out Goku and 17 at last second.

Or maybe Jiren will beat both so that there's some tension remaining. 17 and Goku are hurt, Freeza seems ok.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am

I was really hoping that Goku's violent ki reflux was a Frieza betrayal.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:03 am

RIP_Power_Levels wrote:I don’t understand why some are letting Super’s narrative, character development, plot, etc weigh it down so much in their opinion. For a lot of shows I watch I do value these aspects, just not for Dragon Ball. Why? Because this show is meant to be eye candy first. This isn’t Game of Thrones (admittedly one of the best shows ever made). It’s supposed to be a visual, super powered spectacle to sell merchandise first and foremost, and this episode delivered on that goal spectacularly. If Super had a great narrative I would love this show even more, fantastic. If it doesn’t, I won’t let it bother me and cause me to hate the show. As long as the narrative is so-so I’m happy. I don’t watch this show every week to have a large helping of character and narrative development (which shows like Game of Thrones pull off so well they engross me), I watch every week to set my brain aside for thirty minutes and just enjoy the show for what it is. It’s why millions have watched and loved this show.

On topic, I loved this episode. The animation throughout was stellar, and I’d like to especially commend Tate, as this was his best work so far. To me Tate’s work in this episode came the most naturally and fluidly compared to previous episodes. I did NOT expect 17 to still be alive, and my first reaction was hype. Just one more episode for the series seems a bit rushed to wrap everything up, but I hope it’s pulled off well.
The show's writing literally insults the audience's intelligence. It assumes you forgot things that happened in the previous episode.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 am

Super is ending next week....fuck it I will just enjoy the spectacle.

8bitdee
Not-So-Newbie

Post by 8bitdee » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:05 am

RIP_Power_Levels wrote:I don’t understand why some are letting Super’s narrative, character development, plot, etc weigh it down so much in their opinion. For a lot of shows I watch I do value these aspects, just not for Dragon Ball. Why? Because this show is meant to be eye candy first. This isn’t Game of Thrones (admittedly one of the best shows ever made). It’s supposed to be a visual, super powered spectacle to sell merchandise first and foremost, and this episode delivered on that goal spectacularly. If Super had a great narrative I would love this show even more, fantastic. If it doesn’t, I won’t let it bother me and cause me to hate the show. As long as the narrative is so-so I’m happy. I don’t watch this show every week to have a large helping of character and narrative development (which shows like Game of Thrones pull off so well they engross me), I watch every week to set my brain aside for thirty minutes and just enjoy the show for what it is. It’s why millions have watched and loved this show.

I think a lot of people suffer from the nostalgia-glasses effect where they think back on DBZ and remember it having a grander than life plot and expect DBS to be the same. When in fact, DBZ was just the same as DBS: "a visual, super powered spectacle to sell merchandise first and foremost" with a so-so narrative.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am

dbzfan7 wrote:I will say though that Ultra Instinct now kinda just feels...disappointing. I mean Omen kinda looked more impressive with how it moved and demonstrated it's ability. This is the fully mastered super awesome form hyped up from since ROF....and now it kinda forsakes the presence it shoulda had. Honestly Goku getting hit isn't for me the problem, but rather how he does. Jiren fighting smarter shoulda been the key to him getting attacks, which we do see from time to time, and other times not so much. Kinda like how in Xenoverse you could really only hit UI Goku by either tiring him out or being a little more clever. Otherwise he dodges you a lot. It'd be really cool if Jiren expanded on what he did before, and what Freeza and Gohan did. Basically limit Goku's moving area so even while having this dodge sense, he wouldn't have many places to go. The last episode did that perfectly, forcing him to go head to head.

Still I had a good time at least. One more to go.
Yeah, I feel the exact same way about Ultra Instinct now. I was rather disappointed in how he was getting hit, such as being nailed from the back in midair or being overpowered by a ki blast. What happened to the instinctive dodging concept in those instances? Episode was still visually amazing, but that showing of MUI after that buildup underwhelmed me a bit, given how good Omen looked.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:10 am

Doctor. wrote:...Thirdly, Goku is being hit and damaged in Ultra Instinct... how, exactly? Theoretically, just because your body reacts on its own doesn't mean it has time to react, I get that. That's a solid enough excuse. Shame the series didn't bother to provide it. UI was always portrayed as this unstoppable force before this point, and its only downsides were the time limit and the need to focus to attack (which are now obsolete), but here it is, getting hit... just because...
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Though Super is still... "meh" from a narrative standpoint. You simply need sheer strength and speed to temporarily overcome an ability that's supposed to "avoid any danger no matter how severe". Seriously, what happened to that concept regarding UI? Everytime Goku got hit in UI I was like "ughhh...." (but it would have been too one-sided if Goku dodged everything, which I get)...
Did you two miss in the special [109-110] that UI still needed a power boost to even "match" Jiren; Confirmed by Whis and Tien?
TBMx wrote:My feeling on episode 130:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykmZp5cgbkU

Mindless flash with no story is tedious.
Your first Dragonball episode, congratulations! :lol:
Last edited by Miracles on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am

Slaythe wrote: Goku said he'd give the balls to 17. So that means he's not winning.
While I wouldn't mind this at all, I would doubt goku would give 17 the balls especially with best buddy vegeta bitching in his ear about "my cabba". Personally I'd love to see the show end with 17 wishing for his cruise liner but I don't think dragonball will ever have that type of consequence

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am

Bulma's Foot Masseur wrote:I was really hoping that Goku's violent ki reflux was a Frieza betrayal.
I don't know how you feel about Freeza as a character, but that would be the dumbest thing he could have done at that point. Let's say the blast of energy was Freeza's death beam and not MUI conking out, It would be nothing but a bee sting to Goku in that state. Even if he perfectly timed the beam when Goku's UI went away he still has to deal with Jiren. As a Freeza fan, I hate how impulsive and stupid they've made his character in this arc, he needs to chill out. I know he's done scatterbrained stuff but he should have grown past that by now.
Last edited by Extreme_kai on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:16 am

incredible episode, was giggling like a schoolgirl throughout

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:19 am

they're really overplaying Ultimate Battle now, its getting a bit old.

Also why does Vegeta get 5 flashbacks to his family but Goku can't get 1?

It was great seeing him get pissed again though

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:20 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:they're really overplaying Ultimate Battle now, its getting a bit old.

Did you miss all the complaints when it happened to Vegeta too?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 am

Doctor. wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:they're really overplaying Ultimate Battle now, its getting a bit old.

Absolutely not. I was one of the people complaining.
One time was fine, but they did it 5 times in the span of 3 episodes.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

Absolutely not. I was one of the people complaining.
One time was fine, but they did it 5 times in the span of 3 episodes.
Vegeta didn't have 5 flashbacks to his FAMILY

He flashed to cabba in 123

He thought about cabba and his family in 126

He thought about bulma and cabba in 128

he thought about his family twice. Anyways the director of dbs said this week , vegeta is more of a family man than goku so i'd expect more vegeta flashbacks than goku thinking about chichi and his sons