An excellent idea for a future Dragon Ball Super story arc. Trust me, your going to love this. UPDATED!!!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

An excellent idea for a future Dragon Ball Super story arc. Trust me, your going to love this. UPDATED!!!

Post by Khandom101 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 am

INTRODUCTION:

The idea that I have in mind is about an arc revolving around our heroes and some mythical death god. As you know, death hasn't been a huge deal/case since the days of the early dragon ball, one of the reasons being the dragon balls themselves and the other reason being the afterlife becoming very chummy with the material/physical world.

There's very little sense of tragedy or despair now a days because you know there either going to get revived or They can just simply communicate with the material world from the afterlife. Even if they don't get revived, you just know that they are enjoying themselves in the afterlife because one, the afterlife is quite chummy with Goku and friends (they can communicate easily) and the other being, how redundant death has become in dragon ball. There's no sense of the unknown if you catch my drift.

As H. P. Lovecraft once said " The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown "
When you combine death, tragedy and despair, you get the magical alchemy of fear of the unknown. They never explored that side quite enough. So after an extensive research, I came to a conclusion that dragon ball is in dire need of a mythical entity known to man as the death god (you may even call him "the angel of death" or more famously "the Grimm reaper")

As of now, I am only going to write down the introduction so you may get acquainted with what I have in mind. I have everything planned, the plot, the power ups and the backstory on how this "death god" came into being and the reason why he was forgotten in the mists of time but I will probably write them down later (in a day or so). Who knows after enhancing my drawing/artistic skill in a year or so, I may even draw this down.

ORIGIN/BACKSTORY

The entity that I am going to be talking about existed way before the Zeno's, the angels and the grand priest.
He exists in a plane of reality beyond the 12 universes (previously 18), this realm is located high above the Multiverse. Although a speculation, they say long ago it was once a vessel for souls, claiming that it was the first afterlife.

There was a time when the 12 (18) universes were once merged together as one whole universe and they had several realms overseeing them. The afterlife, the underworld, the scared world of the gods and many more (keep in mind, the realms I am talking about are very different from the one's you see in the current dragon ball multiverse and later on, I will explain why)

This is probably 1/5th of the origin/backstory, there is much more that I will reveal later on. Right now, it may not make much sense but trust me it will as I further reveal the back story. So stay tuned.

So what do you guys think? Please share your thoughts and opinions. Any how, have a good day or night (which ever suits you best) :D :) :D
Last edited by Khandom101 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: An excellent idea for a future Dragon Ball Super story arc. Trust me, your going to love this.

Post by Amir » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:20 am

Sounds pretty sick man, good luck with this.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Re: An excellent idea for a future Dragon Ball Super story arc. Trust me, your going to love this.

Post by Khandom101 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:32 am

Amir wrote:Sounds pretty sick man, good luck with this.
Thanks mate.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:11 pm

I think it'd be interesting. The Death God should be upset with how Goku and friends are able to bypass the serious consequences of death so he seeks to properly punish Goku and friends
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 pm

KingKaash wrote:I think it'd be interesting. The Death God should be upset with how Goku and friends are able to bypass the serious consequences of death so he seeks to properly punish Goku and friends
Yes, that is one of the many plot points that I have In mind.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 pm

So... Nekron, from DC Comic's Blackest Night? Entity of death, angry that a number of those living has been denied him, and so through an avatar sort of thing, he brings about the Black Lantern Corps that signifies death. One of the few times all of the other Lantern Corps combine their forces to take down an outside threat.

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm interested in your idea, to be honest. But your God of Death should not be a fighter or something, but someone inmense like Super Shenron.

PS: I hope this is not an opportunity to make Goku & Co fight the dead villains like Cell and the others, please.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Honestly interesting on paper, especially since the only one who can say "lol nope" to the whole redundancy of death in DB are the Gods of Destruction and Zen-Oh, who can literally erase your very existence, body and soul, but it's unlikely for them to be antagonists.

In any case this "Death God" has to be a threat with Goku around, which would mean for him to be at least at the same level of a God of Destruction at the minimum, which would be hard to explain (I mean, Jiren did it, but the explanation was ridiculous imo). He has to fit in the lore as well, so as to not feel like he came "out of nowhere" (although since you quoted Lovecraft, it kinda could be the case with the whole "unknown", eldritch feel you're going with). He could be one of the "Top 5 strongest in the multiverse", maybe at the bottom so you can use the other three in future scenarios - the GP is one of them, and he's unlikely to be an enemy, at least for now.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 am

PMD wrote:I'm interested in your idea, to be honest. But your God of Death should not be a fighter or something, but someone inmense like Super Shenron.

PS: I hope this is not an opportunity to make Goku & Co fight the dead villains like Cell and the others, please.
I mean, in a way he won't fight but who knows and as for bringing back the already dead villains (Nah, that won't be the case. so don't worry.)

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am

Thani wrote:Honestly interesting on paper, especially since the only one who can say "lol nope" to the whole redundancy of death in DB are the Gods of Destruction and Zen-Oh, who can literally erase your very existence, body and soul, but it's unlikely for them to be antagonists.

In any case this "Death God" has to be a threat with Goku around, which would mean for him to be at least at the same level of a God of Destruction at the minimum, which would be hard to explain (I mean, Jiren did it, but the explanation was ridiculous imo). He has to fit in the lore as well, so as to not feel like he came "out of nowhere" (although since you quoted Lovecraft, it kinda could be the case with the whole "unknown", eldritch feel you're going with). He could be one of the "Top 5 strongest in the multiverse", maybe at the bottom so you can use the other three in future scenarios - the GP is one of them, and he's unlikely to be an enemy, at least for now.
The backstory won't be so Lovecraftian but the plot would most probably be as such.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: An excellent idea for a future Dragon Ball Super story arc. Trust me, your going to love this. UPDATED!!!

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:01 am

Khandom101 wrote:INTRODUCTION:

The idea that I have in mind is about an arc revolving around our heroes and some mythical death god. As you know, death hasn't been a huge deal/case since the days of the early dragon ball, one of the reasons being the dragon balls themselves and the other reason being the afterlife becoming very chummy with the material/physical world.

There's very little sense of tragedy or despair now a days because you know there either going to get revived or They can just simply communicate with the material world from the afterlife. Even if they don't get revived, you just know that they are enjoying themselves in the afterlife because one, the afterlife is quite chummy with Goku and friends (they can communicate easily) and the other being, how redundant death has become in dragon ball. There's no sense of the unknown if you catch my drift.

As H. P. Lovecraft once said " The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown "
When you combine death, tragedy and despair, you get the magical alchemy of fear of the unknown. They never explored that side quite enough. So after an extensive research, I came to a conclusion that dragon ball is in dire need of a mythical entity known to man as the death god (you may even call him "the angel of death" or more famously "the Grimm reaper")

As of now, I am only going to write down the introduction so you may get acquainted with what I have in mind. I have everything planned, the plot, the power ups and the backstory on how this "death god" came into being and the reason why he was forgotten in the mists of time but I will probably write them down later (in a day or so). Who knows after enhancing my drawing/artistic skill in a year or so, I may even draw this down.

ORIGIN/BACKSTORY

The entity that I am going to be talking about existed way before the Zeno's, the angels and the grand priest.
He exists in a plane of reality beyond the 12 universes (previously 18), this realm is located high above the Multiverse. Although a speculation, they say long ago it was once a vessel for souls, claiming that it was the first afterlife.

There was a time when the 12 (18) universes were once merged together as one whole universe and they had several realms overseeing them. The afterlife, the underworld, the scared world of the gods and many more (keep in mind, the realms I am talking about are very different from the one's you see in the current dragon ball multiverse and later on, I will explain why)

This is probably 1/5th of the origin/backstory, there is much more that I will reveal later on. Right now, it may not make much sense but trust me it will as I further reveal the back story. So stay tuned.

So what do you guys think? Please share your thoughts and opinions. Any how, have a good day or night (which ever suits you best) :D :) :D
I would love if you could use you're and your properly.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Re: An excellent idea for a future Dragon Ball Super story arc. Trust me, your going to love this. UPDATED!!!

Post by Khandom101 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:29 am

sangofe wrote:

ORIGIN/BACKSTORY

That was a simple grammatical error. English is not my native language hence the simple mistakes (lame excuse, I know) but you're right.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:15 am

sangofe wrote:

ORIGIN/BACKSTORY

You came to this topic and quoted the entire colossal OP only to comment on something so off-topic, insignificant and minor?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Amir wrote: You came to this topic and quoted the entire colossal OP only to comment on something so off-topic, insignificant and minor?
I was lazy with the quote as I used my phone, and it's off topic, I'll admit that. But you just did the same thing. Also, it's not insignificant as the forum rules say to use proper grammar and spelling.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:22 pm

It sounds interesting, as we haven't really had the embodiment of death in Dragonball. Maybe how the GoDs and Kai's oversee the mortal realm, this God could be over the afterlife, as even Kais and GoDs can be killed.

Would be interesting!

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 pm

KingKaash wrote:I think it'd be interesting. The Death God should be upset with how Goku and friends are able to bypass the serious consequences of death so he seeks to properly punish Goku and friends
Villains created to call out the crutches of the Z-fighters are always the best for the series because they not only personalize the fight, but the story can at least look for ways for the characters to fight for their justification for them, rather than it being the elephant in the room in-universe. It was what I really liked in the concept of GT, where as Super never really did that. Plots are just random scenarios. I still think Zamasu could have been this with better writing.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:00 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Villains created to call out the crutches of the Z-fighters are always the best for the series because they not only personalize the fight, but the story can at least look for ways for the characters to fight for their justification for them, rather than it being the elephant in the room in-universe. It was what I really liked in the concept of GT, where as Super never really did that. Plots are just random scenarios. I still think Zamasu could have been this with better writing.
Yes the personalization is what makes the storyline more interesting and also could even give secondary characters a chance to fight the villain to defend themselves. As for Zamasu, I think the called out Future Trunks for using the Time Machine back and forth to go against the laws of the gods so that was a bit personal. And I've never watched GT so I can't comment on that
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 pm

KingKaash wrote:
Yes the personalization is what makes the storyline more interesting and also could even give secondary characters a chance to fight the villain to defend themselves. As for Zamasu, I think the called out Future Trunks for using the Time Machine back and forth to go against the laws of the gods so that was a bit personal. And I've never watched GT so I can't comment on that
Well if I were to just state my blanket issue with Super as a whole, it would just be the fact that it really doesn't have a coherent story that narratively continued off of anything established pre BOG, and what they tried to do with Zamasu was all over the place. It was never built off something clear for the audience to associate the issue with the past. Where as GT all of the call-back repercussions were simple and clear. Zamasu did not focus enough on a single thing to make it as clear unlike Baby. If Time travel was illegal than the whole arc should have focused on this theme alone. Not this, and the morality of mortals and the gods doing nothing and all that mash-up. If Zamasu wanted to focus on just the God's inactivity, he should have had beef with Shin/Supreme Kai was directly accountable to arc of the past. It just would have made more sense if Zamasu came about in response to what Buu did in some way or at least hearing about it. Then his response to that would have made his reasoning make more sense.

If your villain was say the response to the abuse to resurrection in the series, that would have addressed why death doesn't matter anymore. That itself could be a plot. Say a villain attacks King Yemma, and wants to stop either people from dying, people coming back to life, or people using the dragonballs or addressing the huge masses of people that ended to be wished back after they had been sent to heaven or hell, thus messing up the flow of the afterlife. A death god could appoint himself to "correct" this. Then the outcome would have the main cast somehow try to justify why they do that, the same way that Syn Shenron was claiming Goku used the Dragonballs selfishly and overused them. I mean, you can have stories in DB where the heroes are fighting just causes for their own lives, without having them need to be "justice heroes". When Toei wanted to portray Goku not being a hero of generalized justice, it then only just reduced him to be a 1-note "i like strong guys; don't hurt my friends" cliche. Not to mention if the series wanted to be self-aware, it doesn't mean they need to make Krillin or Yamcha look pathetic all the time either. This is why I think it should have been important to reevaluate modern dragonball.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:38 pm

KingKaash wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: Villains created to call out the crutches of the Z-fighters are always the best for the series because they not only personalize the fight, but the story can at least look for ways for the characters to fight for their justification for them, rather than it being the elephant in the room in-universe. It was what I really liked in the concept of GT, where as Super never really did that. Plots are just random scenarios. I still think Zamasu could have been this with better writing.
Well if I were to just state my blanket issue with Super as a whole, it would just be the fact that it really doesn't have a coherent story that narratively continued off of anything established pre BOG, and what they tried to do with Zamasu was all over the place. It was never built off something clear for the audience to associate the issue with the past. Where as GT all of the call-back repercussions were simple and clear. Zamasu did not focus enough on a single thing to make it as clear unlike Baby. If Time travel was illegal than the whole arc should have focused on this theme alone. Not this, and the morality of mortals and the gods doing nothing and all that mash-up. If Zamasu wanted to focus on just the God's inactivity, he should have had beef with Shin/Supreme Kai was directly accountable to arc of the past. It just would have made more sense if Zamasu came about in response to what Buu did in some way or at least hearing about it. Then his response to that would have made his reasoning make more sense.

If your villain was say the response to the abuse to resurrection in the series, that would have addressed why death doesn't matter anymore. That itself could be a plot. Say a villain attacks King Yemma, and wants to stop either people from dying, people coming back to life, or people using the dragonballs or addressing the huge masses of people that ended to be wished back after they had been sent to heaven or hell, thus messing up the flow of the afterlife. A death god could appoint himself to "correct" this. Then the outcome would have the main cast somehow try to justify why they do that, the same way that Syn Shenron was claiming Goku used the Dragonballs selfishly and overused them. I mean, you can have stories in DB where the heroes are fighting just causes for their own lives, without having them need to be "justice heroes". When Toei wanted to portray Goku not being a hero of generalized justice, it then only just reduced him to be a 1-note "i like strong guys; don't hurt my friends" cliche. Not to mention if the series wanted to be self-aware, it doesn't mean they need to make Krillin or Yamcha look pathetic all the time either. This is why I think it should have been important to reevaluate modern dragonball.
I want to comment on DBS as a whole because that goes away from this thread's main topic but I do agree with a lot of what you said. And I like the idea of attacking King Yemma. That's a good storyline right there

Lord Alduin

Post by Lord Alduin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:15 am

Hey I like your idea, sounds really good. On topic of the whole no consequences dragonball, I think they should kill off some main characters for good, with no resurrection possible.

This quote:

I do not agree with this, love and loss of a loved one (despair) are much stronger emotions than fear, in my opinion and personal experience.