Regardless of quality, Are you going to miss Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Regardless of quality, Are you going to miss Super?

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Nah. 639 episodes, 20 movies, 3 TV specials, and 3 OVAs is more than enough Dragon Ball animated content for me.

In the end, my thoughts are, "yeah, we're done here."
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Yeah, I'll miss Super.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm

I ended up loving Super, i'll miss the whole DB revival, the weekly novelty, but i'm not against the hiatus. I wouldn't like it to become what Saint Seiya became with the Omega series or like The unwatcheable Simpsons. I cringe when I think what DB could be in 20 years just for the sake of selling DB stuff.

I don't think the story can go any further, it is the perfect ending: the greatest enemy ever in the greatest scenario ever with the highest stakes possible. If the movie's tagline is EARTH HAS GOKU then it is quite a step down from nowadays tagline UNIVERSE 7 HAS GOKU

I would like to see other characters be explored, like Jiren, the hakaishins, Hit, Yamoshi, Planet Salad, I mean there is so much to see, i wouldn't mind if Goku takes the backseat for a while.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 pm

In the likelyhood that next week is indeed the final final episode, yeah, I'll miss it. But if it's just a hiatus, I'm fine. The manga is continuing at least until the movie comes out, then the movie comes out. I'll get my Dragon Ball fix and this break is actually coming at the right moment for me, being in the final year of college. Concentrating on my work without anticipating a new episode and having what's next in the show on my mind really helps, not to mention actually getting some rest during the weekend without losing sleep to catch episodes live :lol:

This past month has eased the process as well, with all those breaks between episodes.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Regardless of quality, are you going to miss Super?

Post by Weejus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't think I enjoyed much of what I did end up watching of Super, but I guess just having a new episode of Dragon Ball every weekend was a cool thing that I feel I shouldn't have or granted. I just hope whatever comes in the future is better. Even if it sucked, the buzz of getting a regular stream of new content from an IP I like cannot be ignored. However, I also feel some time away from new DB content would do everyone good for a while. A lot has happened and changed within DB over the past five years and, for me, a lot of it still hasn't sunk in (and I got into DB in 2012, which makes that weird).

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Nope. Not a bit.

In fact, this upcoming movie might be last foray into modern DB material. If the quality of the writing improves for a sequel series, then I may come back but we'll see.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Yes, I will. I regret regaining my fan status so late (episode 94) but I have downloaded all Super eps and intend on giving them a solid marathon once the ToP ends.

While I have my issues (still miffed about the whole multiverse thing, I HATE multiverse plotlines), in general, I like what they did with some characters. It had good fight scenes, a solid soundtrack (if not the best DB soundtrack ever) and had interesting ideas.

A new series with a bigger focus on side characters and generally more polish would be a godsend, though.

But for now ... yeah, I'll miss it.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Of course, I will. Since I work on weekends, I don't see what's the point of them anymore after this week. :cry:
I'm marathoning ToP right now and it's been a blast!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:37 pm

No. Watching it with all the problems it has and how it feels like its boiling down to just genre-cliches now played straight, I don't really want it back if the writing is going to be as sloppy as it is. I will miss just the intrigue I had for seeing it on weekends, but there are other anime thankfully to watch. What turned me off more from the anime though was the shift of the mentality in fandom Super has created. Its more relieving its ending. I still look forward for the manga and new movie though where the quality feels a bit more comparable to Z thus far.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Koitsukai wrote:I ended up loving Super, i'll miss the whole DB revival, the weekly novelty, but i'm not against the hiatus. I wouldn't like it to become what Saint Seiya became with the Omega series or like The unwatcheable Simpsons. I cringe when I think what DB could be in 20 years just for the sake of selling DB stuff.

I don't think the story can go any further, it is the perfect ending: the greatest enemy ever in the greatest scenario ever with the highest stakes possible. If the movie's tagline is EARTH HAS GOKU then it is quite a step down from nowadays tagline UNIVERSE 7 HAS GOKU

I would like to see other characters be explored, like Jiren, the hakaishins, Hit, Yamoshi, Planet Salad, I mean there is so much to see, i wouldn't mind if Goku takes the backseat for a while.
Yeah I think the story has given us all that it can. Much further and it will feel like drawing blood from a rock. I believe it may be best if the movie marks the end of Dragon Ball. I think I may have to make due with 575 episodes and the now 3 movies.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Not really, no. They need a break from Super. The budget for most episodes are low because they save it for the "good" moments. Super will return, hopefully, because DB will never end unless Akira somehow passes away or someone else takes charge of the storyline and screws it over. But, I won't miss it. The animators truly do need a break from this show.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:43 pm

Nah, I got FighterZ. Pretty much all the Dragon Ball I'll need for a few years.

Not to mention there's still the manga currently going on that'll surpass the anime story wise, so there's still gonna be new content.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 pm

I'll definitely miss Super. I have thoroughly enjoyed the series since the ending of the ROF arc. I would rather have the series continue then have the new movie, but I am still anticipating the movie. I'll mainly miss watching new episodes every week. :(

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:10 am

I'll definitely miss tuning in every week, but from a storyline perspective I wouldn't want it to go on forever. I don't know what's in store for Super in the future other than the movie, but I'm quite fine with it ending and possibly transitioning to another Dragon Ball series after that.