Jiren should have been erased

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Jiren should have been erased

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:18 am

supersaiyangodgogeta wrote:Whis stated that he wouldn't be able to stop the energy between Goku and Beerus in the BOG arc so he isn't stopping anything from Jiren. He may be able to dodge it due to UI and because of the distance that Jiren threw it, but that's about it. Why would speculation override a direct statement?
Why are you bringing this up here? This is about whether jiren should have been erased after what he did or not? Not about power levels. Go to the strength discussion if that’s what you want

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
supersaiyangodgogeta wrote:Whis stated that he wouldn't be able to stop the energy between Goku and Beerus in the BOG arc so he isn't stopping anything from Jiren. He may be able to dodge it due to UI and because of the distance that Jiren threw it, but that's about it. Why would speculation override a direct statement?
As far as I could tell Whis said he couldnt stop Beerus' blast because it would be against his job title of being the instructor/attendant of Beerus. Ultimately Beerus can do what he wants and Whis tends not to interfere except when Beerus does things for absolutely no reason in which case Whis intervenes. It wouldnt make any sense for Whis to be unable to stop the blast itself.
Whis' words were something like 'how do you expect me to be able to stop a blast with that much energy'?
Interesting. Do you have the exact quote/screenshot?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 am

PFM18 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
As far as I could tell Whis said he couldnt stop Beerus' blast because it would be against his job title of being the instructor/attendant of Beerus. Ultimately Beerus can do what he wants and Whis tends not to interfere except when Beerus does things for absolutely no reason in which case Whis intervenes. It wouldnt make any sense for Whis to be unable to stop the blast itself.
Whis' words were something like 'how do you expect me to be able to stop a blast with that much energy'?
Not at the moment.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Not at the moment.
It just seems so strange because the show has pretty much always implied that if you have more power than somebody by a significant margin, then you can pretty much always negate anyhing they could do against you. And obviously whis is strong enough to knockout Beerus easily so Whis being unable to stop the blast wouldnt make any sense.

Also this conversation is relevant to Jiren's attack on the audience because somebody mentioned that Jiren's attack would do absolutely nothing because there were angels on the bleachers where Jiren fired the blast. The blast wouldnt have done anything in my mind. To me Jiren possibly knew they werent in any real danger and that could be why he fired the blast. Whis or any of the other angels probably could have either dissolved the blast ir surround the bleachers in a barrier to protect them from the blast.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

18 also attacked Shin and she received no penalty for it.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 pm

I feel like you're taking Whis' words too much at face value. He is much stronger than the power displayed by Beerus and Goku in BoG, where they were sparring at super saiyan god level.

We know he is Beerus' master and the one who trained him. His statement about not being able to stop the energy was at a point in the show where his true role in relation to Beerus hadn't been revealed, and it seemed to the audience like Whis was just Beerus' servant. The show then reveals that we were wrong and he is the one who trained this monstrously strong character. It's meant to be a surprise.

Taking an early statement made when Whis was a mysterious and unknown character to mean "Whis isn't capable of stopping ssj God level blasts" is ignoring the intended narrative of the show for one line of dialogue near the beginning of it. All of the angels are a cut above the gods of destruction, the show makes that abundantly clear regularly.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Jack Bz wrote:
I feel like you're taking Whis' words too much at face value. He is much stronger than the power displayed by Beerus and Goku in BoG, where they were sparring at super saiyan god level.

We know he is Beerus' master and the one who trained him. His statement about not being able to stop the energy was at a point in the show where his true role in relation to Beerus hadn't been revealed, and it seemed to the audience like Whis was just Beerus' servant. The show then reveals that we were wrong and he is the one who trained this monstrously strong character. It's meant to be a surprise.

Taking an early statement made when Whis was a mysterious and unknown character to mean "Whis isn't capable of stopping ssj God level blasts" is ignoring the intended narrative of the show for one line of dialogue near the beginning of it. All of the angels are a cut above the gods of destruction, the show makes that abundantly clear regularly.
We already knew he was Beerus' teacher from the movie.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:13 pm

julianix wrote:There was a few gods and angels there... literaly nothing would of happened.
Exactly. They would’ve taken care of it.

On top of that, I think Jirens attack was meant to serve as a demonstration for Goku to realize how quickly he could lose everything.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 pm

He might have been erased for doing that had Goku not stopped it and it killed all the mortals on the bench, but since Goku stopped it and the fact that there were no reaction scenes with the Zenos last episode means they probably were on the edge of their seats watching the fight (you know like we all were too!)

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:22 am

As we saw when Toppo was blasting Frieza away, it's likely the GP or even the Angels would have pulled up a barrier to prevent any harm befalling the more Godly spectators.

Would've been interesting to see what wouldve happened had the blast landed. But I suppose we can just speculate

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:10 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Jack Bz wrote:

We already knew he was Beerus' teacher from the movie.
Yes, but Super is a retelling of those movies. It was made in mind for people who also might not have seen them, and has a different continuity to them. And if we take the movies into account, they do the same thing. You think Beerus is this all powerful being, until Beerus at the end straight up says Whis is his master and stronger than he is.

So why you would take Whis' statement (where he doesn't even explicitly say he couldn't stop Beerus and Goku, just asks why they think he'd be able to) as being more important than the obvious intended narrative of the show of the angels being super powerful and the masters of the gods of destruction, I don't know.