How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How do you feel about the reveal that Android 17 is still alive?

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:55 am

The reveal could have been done better by having him actually attack Jiren or saving Goku instead of just climbing out from the rubble after Freeza had done the work. But other than that, I loved it.

I remember complaining about how much shine he was getting during the height of the "17 is MVP" period. But now, i don't even care. I just love the audacity of it, especially the idea that he and Freeza will be joining Goku for the final battle instead of Vegeta. It was also the best way to handle the twist since everybody knew Freeza would get a hero moment toward the end. Just about every reaction video I've watched has followed the same pattern:

1. Goku shorts out of MUI, after a moment of confusion "Oh, Freeza is betraying him"
2. Whis reveals what actually happened, Jiren goes to throw Goku out. "Oh, so Freeza's gonna save him"
3. Freeza saves Goku. Relief, modest excitement, "Yeah, I called it".
4. 17 pops up, joins Freeza. Double-take, freak out, the crowd goes wild.

I just like that this is the world we live in. That we have this big climactic battle, huge crowds turn out to watch it in Latin America, and the biggest cheer of the night is for Android 17.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 am

I have a feeling that 17 making it to the very end was in Toriyama's notes, and not just something TOEI did to bring him back because people liked him. There was an interview a week or two ago that said Toriyama outlined how every single U7 character would get knocked out, and when it would happen. If 17 is still in, I have a feeling he'll be making it to the very end in the manga as well.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:06 am

I don't like it. I have no clue why he was given this much screen time in the arc, especially for his role and technical disconnect from the main characters. It doesn't make sense why he was featured so heavily, but this only further makes everything in Super look even more inconsequential. There is just no loss or tension in this arc because the writers don't want U7 to have any real struggle for the sake of them always looking good. I can understand Freeza being there but 17 is just past his relevance to me. I honestly think 17's role and promotion should have been given to Gohan. If he survived this long, it would redeem so much for him. Instead its 17. Why?

As mentioned, even when he fought Cell he took enough damage to be physically near paralyzed and Trunks one-shots them both in his timeline, so what is this?
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Android 17 is my favourite fighter in the ToP, but I feel him surviving here cheapens everything about his shock 'sacrifice'.

17 went above and beyond, but at this point I do feel like this may be favouritism since narratively there's no reason for him to remain and he may even take away from Frieza and Goku's angle here. Not only has he survived past Gohan which was questionable, he's also outlasted Vegeta despite attempting to blown himself sky high.

Also as others mentioned before, 17 being there actually ruins the tension since with so little time on the clock, it's Jiren Vs. three fighters whereas Goku and Frieza fighting Jiren has not only the jeopardy that Jiren could realistically have the time to KO two opponents no matter how strong, but that Frieza will betray Goku in the last second. With 17 having Goku's back there's not really any concern with a last second betrayal from Frieza...
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:45 pm

It's pretty good. My man is gonna get his boat!

I kinda like it, it being just Goku and Freeza, bitter arch enemies, as the last 2 fighters wouldve been nice buuuuuut having 17 there as a trio is so odd and random I like it, instead of let's say Vegeta.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:08 am

Asura wrote:I have a feeling that 17 making it to the very end was in Toriyama's notes, and not just something TOEI did to bring him back because people liked him. There was an interview a week or two ago that said Toriyama outlined how every single U7 character would get knocked out, and when it would happen. If 17 is still in, I have a feeling he'll be making it to the very end in the manga as well.
If manga is anything to go by,he only specified the order of elimination.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:37 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Asura wrote:I have a feeling that 17 making it to the very end was in Toriyama's notes, and not just something TOEI did to bring him back because people liked him. There was an interview a week or two ago that said Toriyama outlined how every single U7 character would get knocked out, and when it would happen. If 17 is still in, I have a feeling he'll be making it to the very end in the manga as well.
According to Herms' translation of the interview, Toriyama outlined everything: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/972038504992587776

"Toriyama's original draft included a document describing what happens to the U7 warriors in the tournament, from beginning to end. This included who Piccolo (for instance) loses to, and who survives to the end. The document included all the main points such as the battle between U7 and U11."

Although this directly contradicts the manga seeing as how Tien got knocked out by Frost, so...? The interview also says that Jiren doesn't talk much and that the "justice" personality the anime originally gave him was wrong, yet Toyotaro made him that way in the manga...

Still, I think based off this it's safe to say that 17 was intended by Toriyama to be in the final fight.
Last edited by Asura on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 am

Asura wrote: I have a feeling he'll be making it to the very end in the manga as well.
He will be , his Japanese voice actor just said:
“ Funny that the last ones left are 17, Freeza, and Goku. These three teaming up…it won’t just be a battle, it will be an incredible chemical reaction. Toriyama-sensei provided the original draft, so it’s sure to be an unpredictable climax”
So is pretty much safe that a17 will be in toyotaro version unless he really will make huge changes , and I don’t want that concerning to a17 because to me is the mvp and he kept the flame and the brains doing nice team work the whole tournament , he saved Goku in the most critical moment
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:40 am

Asura wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
According to Herms' translation of the interview, Toriyama outlined everything: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/972038504992587776

"Toriyama's original draft included a document describing what happens to the U7 warriors in the tournament, from beginning to end. This included who Piccolo (for instance) loses to, and who survives to the end. The document included all the main points such as the battle between U7 and U11."

I think based off this itt's safe to say that 17 was intended by Toriyama to be in the final fight.
I am saying it does not seem that toriyama specified how a certain character will be eliminted,eventhe U7 team.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 am

I didn’t mention , that’s a coment about the last chapter highlights by a17 v.a
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Goku1000

Post by Goku1000 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 pm

I am soo happy, he is alive, He is TRUE MVP of this tournament.
By the way, if you are looking the BEST and most AFFORDABLE Dragonball Merchandise
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND --> Dragonballstar.com