Y’know... I don’t get Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro’s decisions at times.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Y’know... I don’t get Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro’s decisions at times.

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Bergamo wrote: How do you not understand that making Broly 4 and very loosely basing 1 arc of a series on journey to the west are different things?
Did you read what I wrote? I said Broly is a reimagined character just like Goku himself is a reimagined character. Goku didn’t stopped being a reimagined character after the first story arc. If anything, he’s closer to the character he’s based on these days.

And this isn’t Broly 4. That’s like me calling Batman Begins, Batman Movie 6.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Nor Toriyama or Toei cares about canon, so is not like they couldn't mess this up by having some character reminding of having fought with him in the past, so calling Broly 4 could not be wrong.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Nor Toriyama or Toei cares about canon, so is not like they couldn't mess this up by having some character reminding of having fought with him in the past, so calling Broly 4 could not be wrong.
So why didn’t they with Kale?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 pm

HeroR wrote:So why didn’t they with Kale?
They did, Vegeta warned Goku about Kale's transformation and we know how he knows about that. They probably didn't mention Broly for merchandising issues.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
HeroR wrote:So why didn’t they with Kale?
They did, Vegeta warned Goku about Kale's transformation and we know how he knows about that. They probably didn't mention Broly for merchandising issues.
All he said was’ “this maybe a Saiyan’s true self” and was shocked by how strong she was. Also Goku showed no recognition of the form despite fighting Broly.
Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:40 am

Bergamo wrote:I don't agree with creators sacrificing quality and originality for marketability. It's still important for an new entry to enrich the lore of the series. If we have 5 more arcs that recycle villains, take place before Uub, and don't expand upon who created the super dragon balls and why, then even if they are enjoyable to watch, what does it do for the series besides make money?
Based on what we've gotten so far it seems like they're mixing new with old.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:11 am

The series' is about 4 minutes away from EOZ in the timeline, Goten and Trunks still toddlers, nothing changed despite new character design sheets etc. At this stage, it's just a joke.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:19 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Nor Toriyama or Toei cares about canon, so is not like they couldn't mess this up by having some character reminding of having fought with him in the past, so calling Broly 4 could not be wrong.
Toriyama does care about canon, just not in the way you think he should. That's why he's taking Broly and making a new character out of him . One never met or fought before in the main timeline.