Y’know... I don’t get Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro’s decisions at times.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Y’know... I don’t get Toei/Toriyama/Toyotaro’s decisions at times.

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Xeogran wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Yamoshi was never promised to be in the movie. That was fan speculation run rampant. And why would Yamoshi even be the villain in a movie when he was described as a Saiyan with a righteous heart?
Finally someone who speaks the truth. The Yamoshi speculations were so rampant people started acting as if it was a given.

Good to see Broly of all characters prove that theory wrong :lol:
Good to see Broly never lets us down. Broly was my #1 favourite until Zamasu came. Now he at least rattles on Zamasu's pedestal.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Now that Broly is entering main canon, I would like the Tree of Might to enter the main canon as well.
Why would you want to see something again. You can always watch Tree of Might again.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Battle of Gods should've bombed.
If we knew it would lead this, we would have known better.

Life can be very funny.
*Very cruel you mean.
I mean, we already saw Toriyama re-tell someone else's story with Minus and to say it blew would be a massive understatement. I continue to not get how and why people say this'll be good, am I observing the same franchise as everyone else or am I from Bizarro world?
This movie could be entertaining... or a train wreck of epic proportions...

Either way...

And I'm gonna watch it.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Battle of Gods should've bombed.
If we knew it would lead this, we would have known better.

Life can be very funny.
*Very cruel you mean.
I mean, we already saw Toriyama re-tell someone else's story with Minus and to say it blew would be a massive understatement. I continue to not get how and why people say this'll be good, am I observing the same franchise as everyone else or am I from Bizarro world?
This is gonna be good are you crazy? The meltdown alone is bigger than every Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, 17 thing COMBINED!!! The fireworks are the most beautiful I have ever seen.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 pm

Bergamo wrote:I was confident that we were going to get an arc full of original concepts, but I guess I was wrong. Now we have...
[spoiler]1. Evil Goku
2. Future Trunks
3. Frieza's return
4. Frieza's return
5. Canon Broly
6. Canon Broly
7. The entire rainbow of Super Saiyan forms[/spoiler]
Well, it's weird to say, but I guess DBAF had more original concepts than Super itself lol
Yuli Ban wrote:It was crazy earlier when Broly was literally the top trending topic on Twitter.
Not really, you're speaking about Dragon Ball the world most famous anime and franchise alongside Star Wars, Disney and Marvel.
Yuli Ban wrote:IIRC, it's because his VA is listed on the poster.
Is Bin Shimada listed on too?
ekrolo2 wrote:Battle of Gods should've bombed
What do you mean?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:20 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Now that Broly is entering main canon, I would like the Tree of Might to enter the main canon as well.
Isn't Cooler the better choice since he is more popular than Turles and Frieza is overused nowadays.
Mostly active on discord.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:22 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Battle of Gods should've bombed
What do you mean?
If Battle of Gods the film bombed, and I mean BOMBED hard enough to murder any interest in continuing the franchise for the next 50 years, we would've been spared all of the terrible things following it. No F, no Super, no Broly.

Nerd culture often weeps for the good stuff that fails, but I say sometimes death IS the good stuff for a series.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:25 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:This is gonna be good are you crazy? The meltdown alone is bigger than every Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, 17 thing COMBINED!!! The fireworks are the most beautiful I have ever seen.
I've seen more people hyped or cautiously optimistic for this than people who are legitimately angry. Toriyama has conditioned us to expect garbage by now.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:25 pm

this is a great opportunity to reimagine the character, the whole backstory of him being mad because of Goku's crying was not that...great.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:This is gonna be good are you crazy? The meltdown alone is bigger than every Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, 17 thing COMBINED!!! The fireworks are the most beautiful I have ever seen.
I've seen more people hyped or cautiously optimistic for this than people who are legitimately angry. Toriyama has conditioned us to expect garbage by now.
I've been all over twitter and multiple places. So much "Muh Canon" rage. I love it. I have been positive nothing is sacred and anything can happen in Dragon Ball since 2013, and this confirms it XD. The meltdown alone is the most entertaining part of the reveal unsurprisingly.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Does anyone in production actually care about the quality of Dragon Ball? I know Toriyama doesn't, and I know Toei is more concerned with recapturing the feel of old moments, rather than make new ones.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm

So since the Bardock special and M12 are also getting rereleases along with M8, they're basically spoiling us the plot, aren't they? Broly returns, fusion takes him down, flashback to planet Vegeta's rebellion for the 50th time with Bardock.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:So since the Bardock special and M12 are also getting rereleases along with M8, they're basically spoiling us the plot, aren't they? Broly returns, fusion takes him down, flashback to planet Vegeta's rebellion for the 50th time with Bardock.
Let's hope not.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Doctor. wrote:So since the Bardock special and M12 are also getting rereleases along with M8, they're basically spoiling us the plot, aren't they? Broly returns, fusion takes him down, flashback to planet Vegeta's rebellion for the 50th time with Bardock.
Let's hope not.
You right, they can just put Bardock coming back in the post-credit scene for maximum """hype""".

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Link?
yes please provide the source
IIRC, it's because his VA is listed on the poster.
Yes, exactly this.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:00 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:If Battle of Gods the film bombed, and I mean BOMBED hard enough to murder any interest in continuing the franchise for the next 50 years, we would've been spared all of the terrible things following it. No F, no Super, no Broly.

Nerd culture often weeps for the good stuff that fails, but I say sometimes death IS the good stuff for a series.
But it wouldn't be sad to keep the fanbase discussing the same 20 years old stuff for these past 5 years? D:
You should remember this post my man, there are chances you might nail that lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:03 pm

The gr wrote:
Isn't Cooler the better choice since he is more popular than Turles and Frieza is overused nowadays.
You misunderstand. I don't want Turles to be canon. I want the idea of a planet eating tree canon. It doesn't even need to show up in a movie, I just want to know that the Tree of Might, the actual tree, is in the main canon.
Bergamo wrote:
Why would you want to see something again. You can always watch Tree of Might again.
And yet we're getting our 4th Broly movie so...

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Basaku wrote:
Omniboy wrote:this new Broly's design completely inferior to the old original one.
More primal/caveman design is good too for a character like this
Admittedly, I made my judgement before seeing the full design of Broly, which doesn't include the armor. I'm happy that he's not wearing that. Although I'm still don't like it as much as the orginal Broly.

For one, I wish that his eyes in his base state were the same as were before. He always found a way to look calm, dopey, empty and sinister all at the same time.

That and I wish he still kept all of his jewelry, such as his earrings, necklace, and head wear. He always kind of had a godly aesthetic to him.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:If Battle of Gods the film bombed, and I mean BOMBED hard enough to murder any interest in continuing the franchise for the next 50 years, we would've been spared all of the terrible things following it. No F, no Super, no Broly.

But it wouldn't be sad to keep the fanbase discussing the same 20 years old stuff for these past 5 years? D
People were able to discuss it just fine in the decade plus after it finished. How is over 500 manga chapters along with 500 episodes, almost two dozen films not enough?!?

Everyone acts like DB was this thing cut down in its prime that got cheated out of it logically ending when it couldn't be further from the truth.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and Super have all been great. Even this movie will probably be good. It's all been well liked despite the loud complaining so that's nothing.

The problem is just the laziness behind it. No real thought went into this. Some editor saw how popular Broly is as a character and urged Toriyama to make a movie about him to bring in money.

It won't be any surprise at all if the next movie doesn't bring back Bardock for the same reason.