"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:00 pm

WittyUsername wrote:It’ll be interesting to see if this movie can manage to receive a wider release in the United States compared to BoG and RF. I’m not expecting a full wide release, but given that Super seems to be pretty popular over here, it wouldn’t completely surprise me.
That would be amazing to see as a Dragon Ball fan.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:55 pm

This should be in this thread:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Thoughts:

I love those coats!
All these Goku designs look much better than the one in the teaser. Now I hope that Pirate Goku in the teaser was just something off-model, because they still weren't used to the new style.

Freeza has better curves than all female characters Toriyama draws nowadays. I'm curious to see how the female characters will look in Shintani style.
Hopefully Caulifla/Kale make the cut.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:43 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:This should be in this thread:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Thoughts:

I love those coats!
All these Goku designs look much better than the one in the teaser. Now I hope that Pirate Goku in the teaser was just something off-model, because they still weren't used to the new style.

Freeza has better curves than all female characters Toriyama draws nowadays. I'm curious to see how the female characters will look in Shintani style.
We shall see if the U6 Sayians are going to be in this film. I like the new characters and wonder what role will they have for the film.
Majinwarman

Danimon

Post by Danimon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:This should be in this thread:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Thoughts:

I love those coats!

Yup, we know Onishi was really off-model on that teaser

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:11 am

Another look at the designs.

I really like the natural flow of the lines. The postures just feel like everything makes sense, especially in how the clothes hang on Gokuu and Vegeta. As Vegeta is unzipping his jacket the placement of his arms really got my attention. It's so photogenic.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 am

Love these designs so much. Goku looks great in that large drawing with his arms stretched out.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 pm

People that say they look younger are right.
The inspiration on Freeza arc instead of the Buu arc designs is easily noticeable, but whatever I approve this.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:36 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:People that say they look younger are right.
The inspiration on Freeza arc instead of the Buu arc designs is easily noticeable, but whatever I approve this.
They look fine to me, but I understand why people are saying that the characters in Super are getting younger instead of older.
Majinwarman

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:11 pm

I like the fact that since the first design reveal, the characters are becoming progressively more angular, it's not buu designs, but they're getting closer

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Love these designs so much. Goku looks great in that large drawing with his arms stretched out.
Not diggin' much his face, but I guess animated will look all right.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:07 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Love these designs so much. Goku looks great in that large drawing with his arms stretched out.
Not diggin' much his face, but I guess animated will look all right.
We shall hope so.
Majinwarman

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Probably this is the best place to ask this:
Do you guys think we're going to see some Toriyama designs for this movie? Back when Yammamuro was in charge, they sometimes released some original design from Tori, is it going to be the same with Shintani? Because their styles look pretty similair, so it would be hard to tell which one is the author with new characters like Leto, Kikono etc...
Get Fucked, C_unt

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:29 am

Same! I really hope that is the one Nakazawa used as reference when he came to sculpting these, I'd love to print the scan off and display it behind a figure of it! Speaking of, Shintani looks to have definitely given Nakazawa a lot of references to pick from unlike Yamamuro for ResF which lead to the same poses being regurgitated for all the ResF figures.

I am really interested to see what Shintani's Golden Freeza looks like, I think the over shininess actually benefits that form.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Probably this is the best place to ask this:
Do you guys think we're going to see some Toriyama designs for this movie? Back when Yammamuro was in charge, they sometimes released some original design from Tori, is it going to be the same with Shintani? Because their styles look pretty similair, so it would be hard to tell which one is the author with new characters like Leto, Kikono etc...
This interview answers your question. They will be showing off Toriyama's designs for the film over time.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:52 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Probably this is the best place to ask this:
This interview answers your question. They will be showing off Toriyama's designs for the film over time.
Thanks! I can't belive I didn't remember this
Get Fucked, C_unt

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:55 pm

What was the aim in having a renewal of the character designs?
Toriyama-sensei‘s own Dragon Ball art style has changed, and compared to the past, they’ve become a bit slimmer. Our image for the designs was Toriyama-sensei‘s idea of Dragon Ball “now”
Considering I despise Toriyama's current art when compared to his older self, I'm surprised I like these designs as much as I do.
Unlike what some people like to think, Yamamuro isn't the only one that got much worse over time.

By the way, they did a smart choice with SSB Vegeta. The previous blue armour from Cell arc didn't go well with SSB when he didn't have an aura. Make his outfit dark blue solves that problem.
He's perfect now. Even better than he was with his new outfit in ROF.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:04 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I know there has been a little bit of controversy around the choice for Freeza's eye shapes. I personally thought that Shintani was drawing influence from minus(he may have), but I think the most pure example that people have bought up of Freeza sporting the new design eyes in his final form previously, is funnily enough shown in the first reveal panel for Freeza's final form in the manga.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Talk about being manga accurate. :lol:

Still a little strange that he used such an early reference for his more front on eye shape, and it still strike me as peculiar how his side profile sports his typical look.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:44 pm

JazzMazz wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I know there has been a little bit of controversy around the choice for Freeza's eye shapes. I personally thought that Shintani was drawing influence from minus(he may have), but I think the most pure example that people have bought up of Freeza sporting the new design eyes in his final form previously, is funnily enough shown in the first reveal panel for Freeza's final form in the manga.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Talk about being manga accurate. :lol:

Still a little strange that he used such an early reference for his more front on eye shape, and it still strike me as peculiar how his side profile sports his typical look.
I don't have a problem with the eyes but I don't like to remind myself of Minus.
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 pm

Since these designs started coming out and Shintani's style feels like a update version of Maeda's, I've been rewatching a lot the fight scenes of the first 2 DBZ Movies.
World Strongest in particular still stands out as one of best DB Movies when it comes to action.

Hopefully the fights have great choreography with some martial arts. It would be a waste of these designs otherwise.
I'm expecting a lot of ki blast and explosions, but I also would like to have more technique.

Needless to say, if they are serious in making this the best looking DB Movie ever, horrible CGI like this is out of question.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:21 am

Okay,so here are those people,whom I want to see animating on the new movie,but not confirmed yet:

Ryo Onishi-One of Toei's best.Since Nagamine is the Director,and the fact that he didn't pop out in any Toei show recently,probably means,that he is working on the new movie right now.

Masayuki Sato-If I am right,he's a freelancer.He was the AD for One Piece film Z.He is a really great action animator [spoiler]https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/10532 https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/38068[/spoiler] He is really close to Nagamine

Hisashi Mori-Wonderful effect animator.He is also close to Nagamine

Kazunori Osawa-Tweeted some stuff to Hashimoto,while he was at the new Toei building.Master of Explosions.

Ken Otsuka-I think we can count on him.He's mecha-like animation is really great.

Naoki Tate-Why not? These designs are perfect for him.

Futoshi Higashide-I really want to see his maximum.

Kazuhiro Ota-Haven't seen him a while.Maybe he's working on the DB movie? (Or on the new OP special?)

Takeo Ide-He is Dragon Ball's second most important person,so it is obvious to me that he is gonna animate something,or he is gonna be an Animation Supervisor

A lot of people from PreCure,please

I've tried to be realistic,that's why I did not mention names like Yutaka Nakamura,Kameda,etc.