"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nekis13
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 pm

cuartas wrote:
Ajay wrote:
How was that at all out of context? Cutting a quote chain is basic forum practise.

And modern Yamamuro? No, of course not. His rigid expressionless approach is the number one reason why his work isn't a touch on what it was. His older designs, however, absolutely introduced curves based on expression.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

That's... how expressions work. I shouldn't have to explain that.

I know your whole shtick is to be as obtuse as possible, but let's take it down a notch, okay?
Ok, can I keep saying that shintani took inspiration from Takahashi?
You can if you want to continue to be stubborn and ignore what's been explained to you a lot of times.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 pm

cuartas wrote: Ok, can I keep saying that shintani took inspiration from Takahashi based on recent design changes (more noticeable on base form)?
No, because as has been explained several times, these designs were done long before Takahashi was even a thing.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:49 pm

cuartas wrote:
Ajay wrote:
cuartas wrote:A comment completely out of context, bravo :clap: :clap:
Let me ask you something: did we get curved eyes on Yamamuro designs (for instance) based on the expression?
How was that at all out of context? Cutting a quote chain is basic forum practise.

And modern Yamamuro? No, of course not. His rigid expressionless approach is the number one reason why his work isn't a touch on what it was. His older designs, however, absolutely introduced curves based on expression.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

That's... how expressions work. I shouldn't have to explain that.

I know your whole shtick is to be as obtuse as possible, but let's take it down a notch, okay?
Ok, can I keep saying that shintani took inspiration from Takahashi based on recent design changes (more noticeable on base form)?
NO!!! This designs have been being worked on for a year. The first poster we saw was probably one of the first drafts! Takahashi had nothing to do with the movie besides is animating at least one scene! Takahashi is not a god! He's great BUT NOT A GOD! HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUBBORN?!
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Shintani's designs are manga incarnate. There's nothing else to say about it, so I'll answer some questions in advance.

"But the Manga Goku has more details?" Why would a character design have excess details.

"Why is Shintani's designs more bubbly then?" Because it's only inspiration, not a copy.

"But Dragon Ball has moved on from the Namek Saga era." Moved on about as much as Takahashi has moved from Buu Arc era designs.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Ajay wrote:
cuartas wrote: Ok, can I keep saying that shintani took inspiration from Takahashi based on recent design changes (more noticeable on base form)?
No, because as has been explained several times, these designs were done long before Takahashi was even a thing.
I mean, by just sharing those yamamuro sheets you just confirmed that this is closer to boo arc designs than ever that was a perfected version of cell designs.
The main thing here is that, not Takahashi, I just pointed him out since he's the only who was retrieving those older designs to modern eras, so I don't see a problem on assuming he could be a factor to come from this:
https://i.imgur.com/w9W9QIg.png

To this:
https://s22.postimg.cc/6uj5r3lep/Goku_Shintani.jpg

Looks like I'm not the stubborn one, the weird thing is that you make the videos explaining all the differences, and now you're telling me those 2 noticeably different designs are the same AND done long before, and the 2nd one wasn't made taking into account maybe social media criticizing the 1st one or Takahashi making suggestions on his part on twitter, kinda ironic.

Man, be consistent on what you say here and in your videos, ok?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Your explanation made zero sense.

Shintani was chosen to be the character designer picked by Toriyama through auctions. They both have been exchanged back and forth with designs for a while before revealing a teaser poster. Takahashi has absolutely nothing to do with this as this has been done a year and half before Takahashi even took a part in Dragon Ball Super. Takahashi never even suggested to him what the designs should look, like, at all.

There's nothing resemble about Takahashi's art and Shintani's, even with the movie poster.

Ajay knows what he's talking about. He has quite a lot of connection and studied in-depth about the animation industry. You can't really tell him to be consistent with his videos, because he has been.... pretty consistent.

You are not using the resources correctly.

Please just stop this nonsense, OK?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:03 pm

cuartas wrote:I mean, by just sharing those yamamuro sheets you just confirmed that this is closer to boo arc designs than ever that was a perfected version of cell designs.
The main thing here is that, not Takahashi, I just pointed him out since he's the only who was retrieving those older designs to modern eras, so I don't see a problem on assuming he could be a factor to come from this:

To this:

Looks like I'm not the stubborn one, the weird thing is that you make the videos explaining all the differences, and now you're telling me those 2 noticeably different designs are the same AND done long before, and the 2nd one wasn't made taking into account maybe social media criticizing the 1st one or Takahashi making suggestions on his part on twitter, kinda ironic.

You're conflating, confusing, and ignoring so many different factors that I'm struggling to even have a conversation with you. This is becoming a worrying trend.

Please reassess all of the information you've been given, use a bit of critical thinking, and it'll become clear.

The design sheets were completed long ago, and are largely stylistically consistent with one another. These were completed before the initial poster with nyoibou was even revealed. We know this for a fact.

Yes, the initial reveal poster is a slight stylistic outlier. I acknowledged that in my first reply to you, so I don't understand why you've invented a contradiction. We don't know why that is - it doesn't really matter - maybe it was a re-purposed audition piece, maybe he simply messed up the feature placement? Who knows. Again, it's irrelevant. You've had this explained to you by several different people, please pay attention.

The point is: the final design sheets being different from that initial reveal has nothing nothing do with any sort of social media feedback, Takahashi influence, or whatever other bizarre excuse you want to come up with. They were completed before anything was revealed. They were already animating the film before we saw anything! They certainly aren't changing anything once that starts.

The trailer's going to come out in the next week and that's going to look wildly different from the initial teaser too, so let me preempt any confusion there too: that first teaser was animated by Ryo Onishi, and was uncorrected. This new teaser will be content from the film, corrected, featuring several different animators and supervisors. This is normal. Nothing was changed because of the public. That's not how any of this works.

I don't particularly care if you think this looks like the Boo arc or Cell arc, or whatever comparison you want to draw. If you wanna have those opinions, that's on you, and you're entitled to that. You're not entitled, however, to keep making these assumptions about influence and change that hold no basis in reality.

Deadtuber.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:53 pm

cuartas wrote:
Ajay wrote:
I mean, by just sharing those yamamuro sheets you just confirmed that this is closer to boo arc designs than ever that was a perfected version of cell designs.

To this:

You need to wake and stop thinking that everyone should be like Takahashi. Shintani's designs had no impact from Takahashi's work on Super. The first poster may have looked different but everything else looks consistently the same. Wake up and listen to the facts that Ajay is saying.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Ajay wrote:We don't know why that is - it doesn't really matter - maybe it was a re-purposed audition piece, maybe he simply messed up the feature placement? Who knows. Again, it's irrelevant. You've had this explained to you by several different people, please pay attention.

The point is: the final design sheets being different from that initial reveal has nothing nothing do with any sort of social media feedback, Takahashi influence, or whatever other bizarre excuse you want to come up with. They were completed before anything was revealed. They were already animating the film before we saw anything! They certainly aren't changing anything once that starts.

The trailer's going to come out in the next week and that's going to look wildly different from the initial teaser too, so let me preempt any confusion there too: that first teaser was animated by Ryo Onishi, and was uncorrected. This new teaser will be content from the film, corrected, featuring several different animators and supervisors. This is normal. Nothing was changed because of the public. That's not how any of this works.
Ok, that makes sense, thanks

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Still happy about the broly reboot.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

RANT: Takahashi has brought DB so many things like good art in Super, more hype, and more interest in the production of db itself. But its like the reverse Pandora’s box. He’s brought so many good things but one huge bad thing where whenever we see detailed art or good shading in general, people who don’t know any better just resort to saying it’s Takahashi. Or they just hype him up (like those people who say Takahashi is a better animator and artist than Shida. I mean, wtf is that?).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:20 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:RANT: Takahashi has brought DB so many things like good art in Super, more hype, and more interest in the production of db itself. But its like the reverse Pandora’s box. He’s brought so many good things but one huge bad thing where whenever we see detailed art or good shading in general, people who don’t know any better just resort to saying it’s Takahashi. Or they just hype him up (like those people who say Takahashi is a better animator and artist than Shida. I mean, wtf is that?).
If it’s not Takahashi then it is budget. There will always be ignorance.
Some people prefer Takahashi to Shida, and that’s their opinion. They are both very good artists and animators, so I feel like it’s fine to compare them. It’s not like they are saying “Naoki Tate’s art and animation is worse than Yukihiro Kitano’s” as that would be just wrong on every technical level.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm

But for a real, a Takahashi lead animator DB movie would be so sick..

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Well, since the villain is Broly, that kinda throws out the idea of having a saiyan squad of enemies. I always love crowd fights. But Broly battles are my second favorite type. Where a whole bunch of people gang up on a big person who is constantly thrashing them.

I actually rather have a Shida scene of Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza vs Broly rather than UI Goku vs Broly.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Speaking about God, there's no chance to Takahashi to be on this movie right?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:54 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Speaking about God, there's no chance to Takahashi to be on this movie right?
Check the OP. He's already confirmed.

Deadtuber.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 pm

Ajay wrote:Check the OP. He's already confirmed.
Cool! But will his style match good with Shintani's? Also is Shida and Tate on the movie too?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Ajay wrote:Check the OP. He's already confirmed.
Cool! But will his style match good with Shintani's? Also is Shida and Tate on the movie too?
Ajay wrote:Check the OP.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Speaking of OP, why isn't it updated with new designs such as Frieza, his henchmen, tgat DB Monus guy, Goku and Vegeta's winter jackets, and the official poster? It's been progressively harder to find them as they got buried in the Movie Thread
Get Fucked, C_unt

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Speaking of OP, why isn't it updated with new designs such as Frieza, his henchmen, tgat DB Monus guy, Goku and Vegeta's winter jackets, and the official poster? It's been progressively harder to find them as they got buried in the Movie Thread
Laziness. Updated!

Deadtuber.