"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 14/07]

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:04 pm

HOLY SHIT! I wasn't expecting Takahashi - the G.O.A.T. to appear in this trailer and blow me out like that!!!
Just like Shida, he deserves all the praise. I hope one day, even if it's just one time for a TV Special or something, he has the chance to be the character designer. I'm a good Man, I deserve that!

Shot out to Nagamine too! This trailer alone has a more interesting storyboard than both BOG/ROF Movies.

Goku's face looks like Goku finally. No idea what happened in that first teaser, but it's solved now. What a relief!

SSB looks better than ever. Both the blue tone and the aura.
SSJ not really.

As far as animation goes I also believe this will be the best DB movie. Best storyboard too. But I'm not sure if will have the best art.
The color scheme is great, but I'm not fan of the ink style and the CGI scenes are a problem.

My favourite shots are easily these two:
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:This movie is already looking far better than the entire Dragon Ball Super series, imo.
Fizzer wrote:Just the way Goku looks in the short teaser makes me super excited for these character designs. It just looks so incredibly Dragon Ball, more so than anything we've had in years. I wish that's how Super had looked.
I agree. I'm finally excited for the series again, something that hasn't happened since Dragon Ball Super was announced (my excitement quickly died after just a few episodes of that though) I can honestly say that what I seen in this trailer was better than ANYTHING (not including games) that I have seen from this franchise since the last episode of Dragon Ball GT. It took about 4 seconds of that trailer to bring a smile to my face. As soon as I seen Goku eating, I could tell things were going to look good, and Piccolo and Vegeta haven't looked that good for god knows how many years.

From Tarble, to Minus, to the Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F movie and Super, this one trailer has trumped the lot, easily, and it's pretty much completely down to the animation. The animation style for the last two movies and Super put such a downer on the show that i almost lost complete interest in Dragon Ball. The plastic look of the characters, backgrounds the way the energy beams looked, so many things being really off model.....urgh, it just looked awful from my point of view and it was something i just couldn't get past....But this is different, this trailer looks like it's blended the 90's look with current animation, and it looks FANTASTIC!

I'm not even expecting the movie to be all that great, i don't think any Dragon Ball film is brilliant in all honesty, and i think Broly is the most overrated character in the franchise, but i can look past that because of the animation. It captures the Dragon Ball feel. I feel like i am seeing Dragon Ball done properly, instead of looking like really poor fanfiction and fan art.

These are the character models and backgrounds i have been waiting to see for so long now. I understand that Dragon Ball Super never had the budget per episode that this movie would have had, or the time to complete, but the character models could have been similar to this. I would have found watching that show so much better if it was. To me, it just felt like such a waste.

If we see any future Dragon Ball series, i really REALLY hope that we see more of this, because this quality style of animation is what a franchise as big as Dragon Ball deserves.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Oh god. That was absolutely perfect. This is the the quality Dragon Ball deserved for years, just compare this trailer with the BOG/ROF one :thumbup:
kill me

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:42 pm

EDIT: Posted in the wrong thread, but I may as well say something here. The art and animation looks fantastic and I do not understand the criticisms at all.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 pm

The animation looks so good! :mrgreen: This really does look on the same level of care that Film Z/Gold/ and Strong World received.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 am

BakaManiaHD wrote:Oh god. That was absolutely perfect. This is the the quality Dragon Ball deserved for years, just compare this trailer with the BOG/ROF one :thumbup:
I just can't believe I get see this day.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 am

Lord Beerus wrote:The movie trailer.

I've never seen so much detail and movement in any Dragon Ball animated project until this trailer happened.

Holy. Shit.

That was amazing.
I needed to lie down after watching the trailer.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 am

I guess I must be the only one who dislikes the animation style. Goku looked nothing like Goku.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:13 am

LordCrumb wrote:I guess I must be the only one who dislikes the animation style. Goku looked nothing like Goku.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Eh? He looked EXACTLY like Goku. The Goku we were seeing throughout Super was the Goku that didn't look like Goku. It certainly was broke and it definitely needed fixing.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:25 am

Amazing animation. I hope the story is, too.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:28 am

EDIT: I keep posting in the wrong goddamn thread every time. :lol: I really should make a habit of actually looking at the thread title before posting.

I'm surprised by how well the CG blended in with the rest of the animation. I didn't even realise that it was CG when I watched the trailer the first few times.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:30 am

The trailer wasn't bad but I swear I saw some dragon ball super (tv show) footage that were equeal or better then this movie. Especially the fight with Goku frieza 17 vs Jiren (latest episode). Not that impressed.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:49 am

Found these in Good Quality

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:09 am

I am so incredibly happy the movie looks and moves this good. I had extremely high expectations, but the trailer far exceeded those. Words really can’t describe how much I love this new look. That’s everything I always asked for: modern Dragon Ball to look modern yet nostalgic. And this movie perfectly captures that nostalgic feeling yet it looks very modern and also uses some of the best aspects of Toriyama’s actual art style, which are the roundness of the characters and the perfect anatomy of the bodies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:23 am

Kinda jarring how much Takahashi's design differs from Shintani's. They keep the same soft look, but Takahashi's faces are so obviously longer and slimmer, especially when it comes to Broly. Looking at the model sheet and his first appearance, I can't help but thing of two different characters.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:30 am

Issei189 wrote:Found these in Good Quality
Shintani's SSG is to die for. This man is a godsend.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:15 am

The animation looks good. The only thing that really looked off to me was that one shot of Frieza.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:
cuartas wrote:The trailer was absolutely meh :thumbdown:
I agree. It was bad.

SOme frames look worse than DBS anime series. And those shots of Frieza remind of Golden Frieza saga. It looks that awful.
someone needs to rewatch the frieza arc because this at it's worst was a lot better than that.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 am

MrTennek wrote:
cuartas wrote:The trailer was absolutely meh :thumbdown:
Ah, I was waiting for the contrarian to show up. :wave:
several turned up a bit ago saying this is objectively worse looking than early super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:EDIT: I keep posting in the wrong goddamn thread every time. :lol: I really should make a habit of actually looking at the thread title before posting.

I'm surprised by how well the CG blended in with the rest of the animation. I didn't even realise that it was CG when I watched the trailer the first few times.
I did, it stuck out like a very sore thumb. Only complaint really. Sucks it seems to be happening during the battle damaged Goku vs Broly fight too. /: