"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:17 am

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
Rabdom User wrote:I heard that Shintani confirmed Ide and Tsuji on the new movie.He also said that Nagamine allows freedom for every animator.Would love to see Ide's modern DB artstyle.
I am waiting for the full translations but yeah, those two have been confirmed. It also seems like they told Takahashi to do what he wants with his drawings and that he’s staying uncorrected because of how much the fans loved his work on Super.
I think Toei Animations want Takahashi to stay on Dragon Ball and so does he.
Yes! Toei have finally listened to the fans. The fact they planned all of this way back then in February 2017 is awesome. Shintani has had 8 months to work on these designs and to learn how to perfectly draw Dragon Ball, as he is going to do it for a long time. This was stated in the interview, as he was chosen in February and he sent the designs to Toriyama on October, then he applied the corrections and probably by November/December everything was finalized. Toriyama must really appreciate Shintani’s work, as they gave him the task to animate the gags and we know how much Toriyama cares about those.

Toei/Bandai/Shueisha/Toriyama are on the long game for Dragon Ball, and they even decided to take it off the air to have the time to really fix it up, so that it can come back better than ever. They probably didn’t expect Super to blow up as much as it did, which is why there wasn’t even an official subbed version until episode 61. They probably underestimated how much Dragon Ball is loved outside of Japan.
Them acknowledging Takahashi’s influence on the fandom is yet another positive sign of what’s to come. Dragon Ball is getting the treatment it deserves, and I expect Takahashi to be among their most important assets in the future.

Now all I need for Dragon Ball to look perfect is some more blood and better battle damage.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm

emperior wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: I am waiting for the full translations but yeah, those two have been confirmed. It also seems like they told Takahashi to do what he wants with his drawings and that he’s staying uncorrected because of how much the fans loved his work on Super.
I think Toei Animations want Takahashi to stay on Dragon Ball and so does he.
Yes! Toei have finally listened to the fans. The fact they planned all of this way back then in February 2017 is awesome. Shintani has had 8 months to work on these designs and to learn how to perfectly draw Dragon Ball, as he is going to do it for a long time. This was stated in the interview, as he was chosen in February and he sent the designs to Toriyama on October, then he applied the corrections and probably by November/December everything was finalized. Toriyama must really appreciate Shintani’s work, as they gave him the task to animate the gags and we know how much Toriyama cares about those.

Toei/Bandai/Shueisha/Toriyama are on the long game for Dragon Ball, and they even decided to take it off the air to have the time to really fix it up, so that it can come back better than ever. They probably didn’t expect Super to blow up as much as it did, which is why there wasn’t even an official subbed version until episode 61. They probably underestimated how much Dragon Ball is loved outside of Japan.
Them acknowledging Takahashi’s influence on the fandom is yet another positive sign of what’s to come. Dragon Ball is getting the treatment it deserves, and I expect Takahashi to be among their most important assets in the future.

Now all I need for Dragon Ball to look perfect is some more blood and better battle damage.
Blood will most likely be used sparingly. If you want gore then watch something else because Dragon Ball won't have it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
majinwarman wrote: I think Toei Animations want Takahashi to stay on Dragon Ball and so does he.

Blood will most likely be used sparingly. If you want gore then watch something else because Dragon Ball won't have it.
I never said I expect to see gore again in Dragon Ball. I just want to see some blood, even if it’s used sparingly as you said.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:36 pm

emperior wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote: Yes! Toei have finally listened to the fans. The fact they planned all of this way back then in February 2017 is awesome. Shintani has had 8 months to work on these designs and to learn how to perfectly draw Dragon Ball, as he is going to do it for a long time. This was stated in the interview, as he was chosen in February and he sent the designs to Toriyama on October, then he applied the corrections and probably by November/December everything was finalized. Toriyama must really appreciate Shintani’s work, as they gave him the task to animate the gags and we know how much Toriyama cares about those.

I never said I expect to see gore again in Dragon Ball. I just want to see some blood, even if it’s used sparingly as you said.
Okay. Just checking to see what were your expectations.
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:29 am

majinwarman wrote: I think Toei Animations want Takahashi to stay on Dragon Ball and so does he.
As long as he wants, I don't see why Toei Animation wouldn't want him. He cleary became a fan favorite and it's awesome to see that's reflecting on japanese fanbase too.
He's one of those animators than unless he really fucks up he should never get corrected, because no one channels the DBZ vibe that a lot of people love better than him.

I would like to know the name of everyone who auditioned to be the character designer and their respective drawings. It would be cool to compare with each other.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:42 am

The more and more promotional material we see, the more it seems like Takahashi's key focus in the scenes he supervises for the film, will be around Broly landing on Earth, and his fight with Vegeta.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Another thing is that every new footage is coming from his part in the Movie. It was the same thing with the TV Commercial and this new Goku's shot.

Don't know if its because he's already done a lot considering he handles the beginning of the fight, or because they know Takahashi is popular. SSG Vegeta is already something that will make the fans talk about it, the first image of it being from Takahashi just makes it fire. Anyway it works!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:30 am

Don't think I posted this on here but the Ultimate Soldiers figure line December will have art on the base:

Been hoping Banpresto would do something like this for a while! (Figure will be out 10th-14th December so the week leading up to the movie!)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:45 am

From Shintani interview:
The everyday life scenes don’t have very much shading, but when the movie ramps up into battle mode the shading increases and the muscles pop out more clearly, providing greater contrast that makes for a cool impression. Using the same shading throughout would weaken the impact of the parts we want to show off most, so we wanted the visuals themselves to clearly say “it’s time for battle!”
Even though I like my dose of great shading 24/7, this is a good approach that is being used in the industry nowadays. HunterxHunter 2011 and Boku no Hero Academia use this method and the contrast it causes is effective. Not only for fight scenes, but also serious close-up shots.

Shintani seems to be a cool guy. I like that he lets the animators do whatever they like for the actions scenes, because DB characters can do a lot of things and there's a lot of room for creativity. It's truly a shame that despite he enjoying the new designs, Yoshimichi Kameda won't appear in this movie. Yutaka Nakamura being on this was also a far-fetched dream.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 am

https://youtu.be/76KDbAkEeDc?t=23 someone told me that Goku turned UI @0:23

what do you guys think? I think its just a light effect.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Still no info about who is in charge of the SFX sounds?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Noah wrote:Still no info about who is in charge of the SFX sounds?
No. When it comes to the sound departament, the only confirmation so far is that Sumitomo will still be the composer.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:22 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
No. When it comes to the sound departament, the only confirmation so far is that Sumitomo will still be the composer.
I'm interested in what type of music will the new soundtrack reflect the most?
Majinwarman

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 am

majinwarman wrote:I'm interested in what type of music will the new soundtrack reflect the most?
What you mean by "reflect"?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Noah wrote:
majinwarman wrote:I'm interested in what type of music will the new soundtrack reflect the most?
What you mean by "reflect"?
Like what types of genre it will be like for example jazz rock or western.
Majinwarman

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:24 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Who did the old DBZ sound effects?
Those were great bone crushing sounds.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:37 pm

Miracles wrote: Who did the old DBZ sound effects?
Hidenori Arai of Fizz Sound Creation (now JetSoundEngine).
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:38 pm

Ajay wrote:
Miracles wrote: Who did the old DBZ sound effects?
Hidenori Arai of Fizz Sound Creation (now JetSoundEngine).
Thanks.

Any chance of him coming back anytime soon?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Miracles wrote: Thanks.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Arai's priorities are One Piece these days. Were this movie labelled Z like the previous two, I would have said the chances were high, but with Super having a different staff member from JetSoundEngine handle the sound effects, and this movie being a Super movie, I have to wonder whether they're looking to keep things consistent with that branding.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Ajay wrote:
Miracles wrote: Thanks.

Honestly, I'm not sure. Arai's priorities are One Piece these days. Were this movie labelled Z like the previous two, I would have said the chances were high, but with Super having a different staff member from JetSoundEngine handle the sound effects, and this movie being a Super movie, I have to wonder whether they're looking to keep things consistent with that branding.
Thanks.
It's good to know that they are from the same sound effects studio.
So maybe there is a chance they use the old great noisemakers from the past.