"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by Shineman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:21 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this kind of thing, but I supposed if Ajay had some opinions on this thought:

How likely would Shintani or at least, another animator take over the role as an animator to push away from the style they're using now for a new one (such as how Pokemon Sun and Moon gained a new art style and animation)? Do you think the series (and the production staff) would benefit if it did this, assuming a new series/movies/etc comes in the future?
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:They improved the CG:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Dante2605/st ... 2567311360
I saw this in one of Ajay's tweets. Apparently they drew over the model for the new version.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Well, it seems the reception to the visuals was very much as expected, with pretty much everyone praising the visuals.

Hell, we even had Kei praising them, which I found surprising...

Either way, really looking forward to it still. Its nice to have some vindication for the visuals of the film now at least.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:29 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Well, it seems the reception to the visuals was very much as expected, with pretty much everyone praising the visuals.

Hell, we even had Kei praising them, which I found surprising...

Either way, really looking forward to it still. Its nice to have some vindication for the visuals of the film now at least.
That's good to hear!

Really this is what DB is all about, visuals, flash and fights!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:12 pm

The staff we know so far for DBS: Broly: Naoki Tate, Yuya Takahashi, Koudai Watanabe, Miyako Tsuji, Takeo Ide, Yukiko Nakatani, and Naohiro Shintani as AD.

Yuichi Karasawa, Hirotaka Nii, Atsushi Nikaido, Chikashi Kubota, Ryo Onishi, Naotoshi Shida, and Umakoshi as key animators
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Weird. I honestly never expected Watanabe Koudai to work on Dragon Ball Movie #20 after how much Yamamuro Tadayoshi fucked him on Movie #19. What's more, he's probably in charge of the final segment based on how he's the last credited assistant animation supervisor. I guess this explains where he's been for the last six months.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Well, maybe he knew Yamamuro wasn't gonna be around to water down his work. If that was what would have kept him back at all, and he isn't here, why NOT take the job?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Like some said before: this movie will probably be the best animated piece of the franchise, but just that.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Noah wrote:Like some said before: this movie will probably be the best animated piece of the franchise, but just that.
I mean, it could also be the most well directed DB movie, which is something.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 am

JazzMazz wrote:I mean, it could also be the most well directed DB movie, which is something.
I'm not much into animation terms, but what you mean with "well directed"?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 pm

A good director will employ strong storyboard, music placements, direction of voice acting, use of color choices, etc. Well directed means Nagamine utilizes the resources to the fullest. Tadayoshi Yamamuro failed to fulfill the resources properly when he directed Resurrection F.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Noah wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:I mean, it could also be the most well directed DB movie, which is something.
Direction isn't necessarily an animation term.

Direction is the creative voice of a film, and how directed a film is could easily make or break it in terms of how engaging it is. That was a definite problem with prior two films, who really didn't have any real stand out direction.

Direction refers to things like pacing(as well as how the film is cut together), the creation of atmosphere, use of colours and lighting, use of music as well as setting a basic guideline for how the film is going play out in terms of interesting camera angles and shot composition(though the latter has more to do with storyboarding I would say). Either way, direction is an absolutely vital part of film regardless in creating meaning and engaging the audience.

I said this film has a good opportunity to be the best directed DB film, because its the first movie in the modern era that isn't restricted under, either a bad schedule or a bad director, I think it also has the potential to be the strongest in terms of direction.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Noah wrote:

Direction is the creative voice of a film, and how directed a film is could easily make or break it in terms of how engaging it is. That was a definite problem with prior two films, who really didn't have any real stand out direction.

Direction refers to things like pacing(as well as how the film is cut together), the creation of atmosphere, use of colours and lighting, use of music as well as setting a basic guideline for how the film is going play out in terms of interesting camera angles and shot composition(though the latter has more to do with storyboarding I would say). Either way, direction is an absolutely vital part of film regardless in creating meaning and engaging the audience.

I said this film has a good opportunity to be the best directed DB film, because its the first movie in the modern era that isn't restricted under, either a bad schedule or a bad director, I think it also has the potential to be the strongest in terms of direction.
I actually thought Battle of Gods had solid direction and storyboarding...but the animation let it down more often than not. And then Ressurection F was pretty much the inverse.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Noah wrote:

I actually thought Battle of Gods had solid direction and storyboarding...but the animation let it down more often than not. And then Ressurection F was pretty much the inverse.
The first thirty minutes (storyboarded by Chioka Kimitoshi) is pretty good, but the deeper we get into the movie the board really becomes boring. Having six storyboard artists doesn't help but I place the blame mostly upon the director, Hosoda Masahiro, who is a mediocre director only chosen because he was Toei Animation Chairman Morishita Kouzou's student back in the 1980s. You're right about the animation, though. Yamamuro's corrections seemed to have really nullified everyone's animation timing, line work and facial expressions to the point that there was no power left during the fights.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:32 pm

This looks nothing like Dragon Ball. That mouth and facial expression looks like something straight out of One Piece.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:52 pm

Why does Luffy has blue hair?
Back to serious mode,looks lile Mitsuka is on the film.
Nagamine+Mitsuka+Karasawa=nut

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:
This looks nothing like Dragon Ball. That mouth and facial expression looks like something straight out of One Piece.
Anyone who honestly thinks this looks like One Piece has never seen or watched One Piece.

This is unconventional, but its definitely very DB in its poses and things like muscle definition.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Doctor. wrote: This looks nothing like Dragon Ball. That mouth and facial expression looks like something straight out of One Piece.
And here we go with the biased "it looks like One Piece" comments
The cover doesn't look anything like One Piece, it has all the Dragon Ball-esque facial features but with actual good expression this time, what's wrong with that?
kill me