"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:06 am

JazzMazz wrote:Yuki Hayashi was confirmed to have done a cut from the newest trailer.
Hooray.

He had the best cut of animation Resurrection F, even though it was stifled by poor directing and storyboarding on Yamamuro's part.

Can't wait to see him unchained and let loose and with plenty of time to work with and with so many talented animators to support him.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:42 pm

It still blows my mind how Yamamuro was allowed to butcher this series for so long. There is a scene in the 4th trailer with Goku in Vegeta in the same shot, and Goku looks really worried/shocked at what I can only presume is something Broly is doing. We have not had any expression in Super match that level of intensity and emotion until now. I also actually don't find that opening shot of Gogeta particularly offensive, it still looks pretty awesome compared to the majority of Super.
Last edited by supersaiyanZero on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:57 pm

I expected Hayashi's return to Toei,but a little bit later (New OP film).
Anyway,how much time have passed since he left? I hope he returns with a big crazy scene

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:22 am

All the animation looks really great IMO. I'm glad the animators could go all out as much as they could on the film.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:44 pm

The expression guides for Freeza, Goku (Base, God, Blue), Broli (Base), Bulma, Bra/Bulla, and Hissy Floof Broly's Giant Green Creature are out.
Beets, Zarbon, and Dodoria also have new model sheets.

Last edited by UltraPrimus22 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Especially love those base Gokû expressions on the new sheet! Also Bra's mini twintails are cute. She has a full head of hair now!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Eww, that Base Gogeta in the beginning is lame.
And some people still say that Takahashi should follow the new art style...
Shida handling the climax and being a monster on that was expected, but feels like he's holding back on his shading. I don't like that. His art could look even better.
Geez, are you always complaining about something? Lol
Nah geez, you're just dramatic lol. As a normal functioning human being there are things that I like and don't like. I just like to point out both of them.

Why should I say I'm fully satisfied with the new designs, when there's this monster called Yuya Takahashi, who is making everyone look much better with the Buu arc designs?!
Why should I say that Shida isn't holding back in his shading when he is?!
Etc...

Speaking of things I don't like, in the trailers when Shenlong goes away and the dragon balls scatter, there are 8 rays of light instead of 7. I would like to have that fixed, if possible.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:31 am

Just a quick update to my earlier post, but some higher quality images of some of the expression sheets are floating:

Goku (Base Form - Expressions):
Bulma (Expressions):
Bra:
Freeza (Final Form - Expressions):
Broli (Base Form - Expressions):
Green Dog-like Creature:
Keener eyes may notice that the creature's gaping mouth is about the size of one of the spider creatures (who are pretty big on their own).

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:39 am

UltraPrimus22 wrote:Just a quick update to my earlier post, but some higher quality images of some of the expression sheets are floating:

Bulma (Expressions):
Bra:
Green Dog-like Creature:
Keener eyes may notice that the creature's gaping mouth is about the size of one of the spider creatures (who are pretty big on their own).
Those Goku ones...I love those.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:29 am

UltraPrimus22 wrote:Just a quick update to my earlier post, but some higher quality images of some of the expression sheets are floating:

Bulma (Expressions):
Bra:
Green Dog-like Creature:

Hmm, something about the middle Goku (the one looking straight at the viewer) is interesting. Something about it is different than Shintani's base Goku we have seen before. The feature placements look slightly better in these. I still am not a fan of em looking so much younger and some of those other faces from other characters look way too ridiculous for my taste, however the key visual from Shintani ft. Base Goku always irked the hell out of me so to see it slightly better makes me happier.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 am

So much life in those expressions, wow. Yamamuro should never be allowed near this franchise again.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 pm

^ So much life! All of those are really good!!
If I didn't know who that green dog is, I would say it was Broly's Final Form. :P

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:So much life in those expressions, wow.
Some of them have good references:
Also, I saw this and remebered the conversation about Goku looking like Luffy or something like that:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Well, I can say that after watching all trailers and a few teasers, this movie (apart from knowing the whole) plot might be really good visually speaking.

I would dig if Super returned with this kind of animation, but probably it's impossible.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Noah wrote:Well, I can say that after watching all trailers and a few teasers, this movie (apart from knowing the whole) plot might be really good visually speaking.

I would dig if Super returned with this kind of animation, but probably it's impossible.
It will almost definitely retain the same art/animation direction this movie has. Toei has been pushing it so hard, and it's been stated that this new art direction is done with more fluid animation in mind.

So, will it look just like this movie week in and week out? No, that just wouldn't be possible. But will it retain a significantly improved art style with good animation and occasionally have amazing animation? I can almost guarantee it. As an example, check out episode 65 of Boruto.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:33 pm

If and when Super returns with this style and has the same level of production it had by the end of it's first run, I don't think it would be wrong to say it'll probably be the best looking Dragon Ball show of them all. Despite the character designs I'm pretty sure Super had a higher ratio of good-looking cuts to episode count anyway, so having an actually likable artstyle would make it the perfect combination of modern animation and classic aesthetics for the series.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:47 pm

Shaddy wrote:If and when Super returns with this style and has the same level of production it had by the end of it's first run, I don't think it would be wrong to say it'll probably be the best looking Dragon Ball show of them all. Despite the character designs I'm pretty sure Super had a higher ratio of good-looking cuts to episode count anyway, so having an actually likable artstyle would make it the perfect combination of modern animation and classic aesthetics for the series.
I mean it was already the best looking Dragon Ball show of them all. Dragon Ball never looked as good as it in:

Zamasu/Black vs Goku/Trunks tag team fight
fight vs Merged Zamasu
episode 109/110 special
episode 129/130

And it isn't even close. The rest of Super is still better than other DB shows, but not by the same margin as the aforementioned scenes.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:08 pm

Well, I'd have to disagree with that. The original manga adaptation (which I say instead of "the 90s series" because GT's colors are ANUS) had way better color and character designs, and due to it's age had little digital compositing that could ruin talented animators' work like what happened with Super. Besides that, they were more consistent, had generally less processed-looking character art and backgrounds, and often very rugged linework that fits the series well but is never used in Super. Everything's up to personal taste of course, but I wouldn't blame anyone for preferring the general feel of Z's artstyle over Super's. What Super has is more work from a large number of talented animators over the course of less episodes, which I highly appreciate, but it doesn't excuse the designs, colors, processing etc. from being kind of flaccid and cheap-looking (note: cheap looking, I know better than to blame shit on the budget). And let's not even get onto the subject of consistency and supervision.

That said, the discussion might as well be moot if this is really what we're getting, because it's essentially the best of both worlds.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:39 pm

wow, I actualy wouldn't mind if the next movie is supervised by Takahashi. I like Shintani, but this to me looks better.

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 7047708672

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:10 am

^ Takahashi being a monster like always. Just another day at the office...