"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:11 am

JazzMazz wrote:In the latest interview with the movie director Tatsuya Nagamine, they touched on several production aspects. Of the things he touched on, these are the pertinent remarks he made which directly acknowledge the films visuals, or more accurately, the films portrayal of visual elements.
Nagamine felt the image of what a DB anime was like had gotten too fixed; he wants to refresh how Super Saiyan transformations/Kamehamehas/etc are depicted, using the latest animation methods.
With that in mind, Toriyama’s “tingly back” description for turning Super Saiyan inspired him to focus on the transformation's physical aspects.
With this in mind, it raises the question on how do people think that the new movie is going to reinvigorate this arguably overdone visual staples of the franchise?
Do people think they should refresh the presentation of these visual elements, or are they fine as they are, and what do people think of Nagamine focusing on the physical elements of transformation?
How would people like to see this handled, and how do people believe it will most likely be handled?
I think they've already done a good job refreshing the visuals based on the little bits we've seen. Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Blue and Broly's power up all have brand new aura effects that are layered and visually complex while still being subdued enough not to overwhelm the character art like the old ones were beginning to do.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:14 am

I guess in part that SSG in the film to be a bridge between SS & SSGSS so that way doesn't feel like Goku is only changing hair colour and aura if he went directly from SS to SSGSS.

I'm also interested in the introduction of these forms. Are we gonna see "eggshell" style transformation return?

Aura's are extremely important and as BluBas said it was starting to get overwhelming near the end of DBS series. Importantly I hope they do away with the crapy fire aura of SSG, I love SSG but I couldn't stand whenever it was in aura! If UI is in the film they definitely need to fix that up too (not as much as a deal breaker for me unlike SSG).

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I guess in part that SSG in the film to be a bridge between SS & SSGSS so that way doesn't feel like Goku is only changing hair colour and aura if he went directly from SS to SSGSS.

I'm also interested in the introduction of these forms. Are we gonna see "eggshell" style transformation return?

Aura's are extremely important and as BluBas said it was starting to get overwhelming near the end of DBS series. Importantly I hope they do away with the crapy fire aura of SSG, I love SSG but I couldn't stand whenever it was in aura! If UI is in the film they definitely need to fix that up too (not as much as a deal breaker for me unlike SSG).
Frankly, I'm expecting the complete opposite.
I feel like they might actually close up on every physical change that the transformation causes, instead of say, it happening instantaneously in an impact frame, or suddenly. I expect it to be extremely lively.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:23 am

JazzMazz wrote:In the latest interview with the movie director Tatsuya Nagamine, they touched on several production aspects. Of the things he touched on, these are the pertinent remarks he made which directly acknowledge the films visuals, or more accurately, the films portrayal of visual elements.
Nagamine felt the image of what a DB anime was like had gotten too fixed; he wants to refresh how Super Saiyan transformations/Kamehamehas/etc are depicted, using the latest animation methods.
With that in mind, Toriyama’s “tingly back” description for turning Super Saiyan inspired him to focus on the transformation's physical aspects.
With this in mind, it raises the question on how do people think that the new movie is going to reinvigorate this arguably overdone visual staples of the franchise?
Do people think they should refresh the presentation of these visual elements, or are they fine as they are, and what do people think of Nagamine focusing on the physical elements of transformation?
How would people like to see this handled, and how do people believe it will most likely be handled?
That sounds very interesting. I hope they will animate the hair spiking upwards, show the pupils changing and the muscle size too. They could also differentiate Super Saiyan from Blue by making the former explosion much more explosive, while Blue would happen with tranquility. Basically what I want is for each transformation to be appropriate to the form.
I also expect Nagamine to show, at least once, that Super Saiyan’s energy starts from the back and then shocks all the body, making it undergo a physical change. Maybe a scene will also dig into the Saiyan’s genes showing their S-Cells reacting and increasing in size when the transformation happens?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:35 am

JazzMazz wrote: With this in mind, it raises the question on how do people think that the new movie is going to reinvigorate this arguably overdone visual staples of the franchise?
What I would like to see:

1. Kamehameha being less straight line and more "water-like" in shape (how Tate animated it in Super #11).

2. I also support the idea of not of not jumping straight to the transformation, I would like to a few seconds of noticeable physical changes.

3. Ki auras being less angular spiky in shape and more water-like (already confirmed in trailer).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: With this in mind, it raises the question on how do people think that the new movie is going to reinvigorate this arguably overdone visual staples of the franchise?
What I would like to see:

1. Kamehameha being less straight line and more "water-like" in shape (how Tate animated it in Super #11).

2. I also support the idea of not of not jumping straight to the transformation, I would like to a few seconds of noticeable physical changes.

3. Ki auras being less angular spiky in shape and more water-like (already confirmed in trailer).
I woudn't mind it if that is going to happen in this movie.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

Figured it would be a good idea to post all the new website character designs in this thread.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Blue Goku, SSG Vegeta, crouching Golden Freeza and alert Cheelai are probably my favourite of the bunch. Especially that Blue Goku. He looks like he was ripped straight outta the manga around the Android arc.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Bulma looks great and actually has good proportions this time. I would love to see Caulifla/Kale in this new style.
SSG Goku hair looks wider that it should be.

About the CGI, I wish they would stop doing fight scenes with that. Not matter how "good" it looks, it still stands out like a sore thumb from the rest.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Not much related to the thread: but is Hidenori Arai listed for the SFX of this movie? I remember we had him in RoF (2015)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Seeing SSJ again in its gold glory is just validation that it looks so much better than this blue/cyan crap we've been getting. Also, I'm disappointed that the they are continuing this style of auras being this fluid blob thing instead of the edgier, sharper ones we got in Z. It just looks so damn ugly and doesn't convey any sort of power at all.

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:26 pm

I'm loving Bulma's look in the movie but Trunks and Goten never looked any younger. It's insane.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm

According to this week’s DBMFL, we’re getting an interview from Shintani himself and what google translate calls a “worksite report”.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:26 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:According to this week’s DBMFL, we’re getting an interview from Shintani himself and what google translate calls a “worksite report”.
That will be very interesting! I hope it will be a lengthy interview, perhaps they may also show his audition drawings?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:Seeing SSJ again in its gold glory is just validation that it looks so much better than this blue/cyan crap we've been getting. Also, I'm disappointed that the they are continuing this style of auras being this fluid blob thing instead of the edgier, sharper ones we got in Z. It just looks so damn ugly and doesn't convey any sort of power at all.
I would disagree. I would say it has the potential to add an entire new level of scale to the fights through the use of the aura's as a new layer of secondary action to further emphasize the weight and speed the characters are moving, kind of like what was seen in Goku's brilliant power up and charge at the scene in Super Saiyan, that was found in the trailer.

Also, while the aura was more animated, the shape of the effects used were still extremely sharp, so I still don't really get your point.

The effects shapes used, notably in the Super Saiyan Goku scene, were fantastic, unique, though sadly uncommon to the franchise, and I hope we see more interesting shapes like that later down the line if they do branch off from this movie.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Not about the movie, but here's another promotional image clearly inspired on the new designs:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
source: https://dragonball.news/news/180816000.html

It's so good to see Goku having flowy and fully black hair and no highlights in his skin. Hopefully when the movie comes out, the new style takes over for good.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:06 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Not about the movie, but here's another promotional image clearly inspired on the new designs:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
source: https://dragonball.news/news/180816000.html

It's so good to see Goku having flowy and fully black hair and no highlights in his skin. Hopefully when the movie comes out, the new style takes over for good.
To be honest, not a particularly big fan of that bit of promotional art. Yes it does look inspired by the new style, but that doesn't stop it from being badly drawn.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 pm

I don't think it's all that bad, but I'd rather say the real factor is thinking about how much worse it would look with oily skin and grey-ass multilayered hair-highlights. It's already got the brick-red gi.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:18 pm

I heard that Shintani confirmed Ide and Tsuji on the new movie.He also said that Nagamine allows freedom for every animator.Would love to see Ide's modern DB artstyle.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:28 am

Rabdom User wrote:I heard that Shintani confirmed Ide and Tsuji on the new movie.He also said that Nagamine allows freedom for every animator.Would love to see Ide's modern DB artstyle.
I am waiting for the full translations but yeah, those two have been confirmed. It also seems like they told Takahashi to do what he wants with his drawings and that he’s staying uncorrected because of how much the fans loved his work on Super.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:55 am

emperior wrote:
Rabdom User wrote:I heard that Shintani confirmed Ide and Tsuji on the new movie.He also said that Nagamine allows freedom for every animator.Would love to see Ide's modern DB artstyle.
I am waiting for the full translations but yeah, those two have been confirmed. It also seems like they told Takahashi to do what he wants with his drawings and that he’s staying uncorrected because of how much the fans loved his work on Super.
I think Toei Animations want Takahashi to stay on Dragon Ball and so does he.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."