"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by majinwarman » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:24 pm

Ajay wrote:
Miracles wrote: Thanks.

Any chance of him coming back anytime soon?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Arai's priorities are One Piece these days. Were this movie labelled Z like the previous two, I would have said the chances were high, but with Super having a different staff member from JetSoundEngine handle the sound effects, and this movie being a Super movie, I have to wonder whether they're looking to keep things consistent with that branding.
But, they could still use it right?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Ajay wrote:
Miracles wrote:Any chance of Hidenori Arai coming back anytime soon?
Honestly, I'm not sure. Arai's priorities are One Piece these days. Were this movie labelled Z like the previous two, I would have said the chances were high, but with Super having a different staff member from JetSoundEngine handle the sound effects, and this movie being a Super movie, I have to wonder whether they're looking to keep things consistent with that branding.
Unfortunately that makes sense, RoF was a Z movie and was the last time we heard these neat iconic sound effects of the series.
majinwarman wrote:But, they could still use it right?
If they didn't used on Super, I don't see why they would use it now.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:23 pm

Noah wrote:
Ajay wrote:
Miracles wrote:Any chance of Hidenori Arai coming back anytime soon?
Unfortunately that makes sense, RoF was a Z movie and was the last time we heard these neat iconic sound effects of the series.
majinwarman wrote:But, they could still use it right?
If they didn't used on Super, I don't see why they would use it now.
There might be a chance. Also, I love the art direction in the new movie. The colors are so bright and breaths such life in the background
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:19 pm

December's Ichiban Kuji will have a lot art (Poster set, art canvases and some small plates), so hoping for Shintani to do the promo art, or at the very least our good friend good promo artist but I fear s/he's only getting more work because shit promo artist is busy for the movie. /: Shit promo artist is doing the upcoming 2019 calender... And movie art is first page. Doesn't bode well. Worst comes to worse good promo artisit will at least do December's UDM art.

It's great they're pushing promo art this much for this movie but will be all for nothing if it isn't good.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Though not completely confirmed, its seems Yoshihiko Umakoshi may be animating on the upcoming film, and seems to be practicing by drawing Broly of all things.

Either way, Umakoshi is an absolutely insane talent to have on the film, and I'm looking forward to any of their possible contributions on(maybe around Gogeta?).

What do other people think about his potential inclusion in the film?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:21 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Though not completely confirmed, its seems Yoshihiko Umakoshi may be animating on the upcoming film, and seems to be practicing by drawing Broly of all things.
I think you meant to say Gogeta there :P

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:06 pm

I can't wait to see what he brings to the film. Here's some of his awesome work.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
He handled the final fight between Luffy and Z in OP Film Z, so I wouldn't be surprised if Nagamine gave him the same role in this film.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:20 am

Xeogran wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Though not completely confirmed, its seems Yoshihiko Umakoshi may be animating on the upcoming film, and seems to be practicing by drawing Broly of all things.
Yep, you're right.

Anyway. Umakoshi is an absolutely insane animator, and is more than a welcome addition to a Dragonball film.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:53 am

In hindsight, it probably would have made sense to make this rant within this thread. Anyways, just reiterating my thoughts on the recent interviewbetween CG Producer Yuuji Yoko’o, CG Director Kai Makino, and CG Line Producer Takuya Fukunaga, and the apprehensive impressions some people have with good-looking 3D-rendered animation in this film.
UltraPrimus22 wrote:CGI, specifically 3D-rendered, animation and visuals get a bad or underrepresented reputation, which is a shame in my book.

TL;DR: 3D-rendered animation, much like any form of animation, is just a tool that relies heavily on the hands of the person or staff involved to make their creative vision within the medium. In fact, remember the principles of animation, going above and beyond that, and adapting to your resources is the key to doing so (which is something that quite a few transitional artists tend to forget). It doesn't always have to look or move like molasses.

Anyways:

If we're talking solely about general character or action-focused animation, a couple of bad eggs (Berserk 2016, BoG's brief segment with Beerus and God Goku) or the seemingly standard, semi-realistic approach that modern Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks's mainline films only represent some of the ways the medium can be approached. (The same way the cartoonish Wallace and Gromit, the grounded Anomalisa, and the "split the difference" Kubo and the Two Strings are all stop-motion animation pictures with distinct visual differences such as their framerate and even modeling material!)

3D-rendered animation doesn't have to conform to a "slower, realistic, less stylish" pace or clash with the current look of Dragon Ball, the same way 2D cel animation doesn't always have to cartoonishly exaggerate animation principles such as "anticipation" or smearing. They're respectively known for doing those aspects naturally well, but the mediums are surprisingly flexible when given the time and resources to do so. We only have to look at the video game cinematics/in-game footage for Dragon Ball FighterZ or Dragon Ball Legends' intro.

In regards to the Dragon Ball Legends intro:
In regards to FighterZ:
Both projects break and warp the models in order to mimic the desired effect of squash and stretch (which is apparent in other video games like Overwatch, or even the aforementioned Disney movies -- though blurred). 2D animation and visual tricks are blended with the models for beam effects, shading, or even moments like the intensity of Gotenks' slapping on the volleyball. The characters' framerates are also manipulated down to match the 24fps standard of cel animation, rather than being 60fps buttery smooth, usually without the jarring nature.

I'm glad that CG Director Kai Makino explicitly mentioned ArcSystemWorks' FighterZ as a goal for his side of the staff. ArcSys Team RED's methods for FighterZ and Guilty Gear Xrd aren't exactly trade secrets after all. This little rant won't guarantee that the final product in the Broly movie will be 100% perfect, but I'm confident that Makino will be able to success with his ambitions.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:02 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
Yep, you're right.

Anyway. Umakoshi is an absolutely insane animator, and is more than a welcome addition to a Dragonball film.
I can't wait for the movie to come out.
Majinwarman

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Either way, Umakoshi is an absolutely insane talent to have on the film, and I'm looking forward to any of their possible contributions on(maybe around Gogeta?).

So it isn't sure if he is on or not?

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:06 am

Miracles wrote:

So it isn't sure if he is on or not?
Not yet I don't think, but I think they did say he was...

Anyway, excited for his inclusion, he was an animation director on the last episode of My Hero Academia, and he absolutely knocked it out of the part. Think he would be a great asset to the fear.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 am

Still low key expecting Yutaka Nakamura to be confirmed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:06 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Still low key expecting Yutaka Nakamura to be confirmed.
That will never happen. Even in our wildest dreams.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Exactly. Studio Bones have him locked down.
Majinwarman

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:37 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Animator's Corner has him listed as having not done anything in two years. If that's up to date then wow they really do have him locked away somewhere.
Source: http://animatorscorner.com/staff_profile/2457
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: That will never happen. Even in our wildest dreams.
Animator's Corner has him listed as having not done anything in two years. If that's up to date then wow they really do have him locked away somewhere.
He was on last week's episode of My Hero Academia.
Majinwarman

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:46 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Exactly. Studio Bones have him locked down.
Good to know!

I don't follow MHA, but I know it's got good staff.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Good to know!

What do you follow then?
Majinwarman

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:41 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
majinwarman wrote: He was on last week's episode of My Hero Academia.
Good to know!

What do you follow then?
This season's anime? Lupin III Part 5, Steinsgate 0, Free! Dive to the Future, and Hugtto Precure.

That's got nothing to do with Dragon Ball though. I don't think there's anything wrong with not following MHA while still admiring the work of the animators on its staff. I'm not into superhero stuff and I don't have much interest in shonen series anymore.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!