"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi is the character designer of the upcoming Digimon Adventure film, so don't expect him to work on this film much, if at all.
Sigh what a missed opportunity then. Nakatsuru would've been perfect animating with Shintani's designs compared to Yamamuro's. It would also be more sad considering he did work on both BoG and RoF.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:00 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Nakatsuru Katsuyoshi is the character designer of the upcoming Digimon Adventure film, so don't expect him to work on this film much, if at all.
Sigh what a missed opportunity then. Nakatsuru would've been perfect animating with Shintani's designs compared to Yamamuro's. It would also be more sad considering he did work on both BoG and RoF.
Do you guys know how character designers work and what's the important of them?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:45 pm

1345521 wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:
Do you guys know how character designers work and what's the important of them?
Re-draw the characters to emulate them into a form that supports an anime while keeping the characters’ looks accurate to the manga or original source material. If this is a sarcastic question, Shintani is a character designer and he also animates. So i don’t see whats wrong.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:47 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Broly Savage design has been revealed in at least somewhat HQ quality.

What do people think of up close? Know some people didn't like it initially, but how do people think after seeing the designs in (sort of) decent quality?

Have to say, like how they fixed the nose from the fully savage and full power Broly, looks much better here. The use of highlights is also nice and tasteful I feel. On another note, like how the back armour is at least somewhat unique.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:49 pm

JazzMazz wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What do people think of up close? Know some people didn't like it initially, but how do people think after seeing the designs in (sort of) decent quality?

Have to say, like how they fixed the nose from the fully savage and full power Broly, looks much better here. The use of highlights is also nice and tasteful I feel. On another note, like how the back armour is at least somewhat unique.
This is my favorite of all the Broly forms they've shown so far. It has the same kind of appeal as UI Omen. :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:33 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:

This is my favorite of all the Broly forms they've shown so far. It has the same kind of appeal as UI Omen. :thumbup:
I think I slightly prefer the yellow haired version of this one the muscles seem perfect on that one. But so far I can't say that I am disappointed in any of Broly's forms they're all a massive improvement over the crap we got before (except controlled SS Broly from Z M8 I do like that).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:07 am

This is perfect. I wouldn’t have minded it if it were Broly’s most powerful form.
I like how simple it is. The hair of course isn’t purely black but the lighter shade actually works extremely well. This is how shading for black hair should be done.
The highlights are also well done and do not give a plastic look at all. I am not a fan of highlights but when they are done well, they serve their purpose and are fine.
As always, the muscles and the expressions are perfect, the anatomy is on point, the colors are always very nice. The back armor is surely interesting, I like it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:40 am

I think I figured out why this scene stands out so obviously as CG to me despite the work they've done to hide it:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It's the hair. In the rest of the trailer the hair is very animated and flying all over the place, but here it's pretty static and moves little if it at all. There's plenty of time to correct that of course. I don't know much about the animation process, so maybe someone more versed can help me out; why do they make fully cg scenes like this? Why not use the models to block out the scene and then draw over them?

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:47 am

Does anyone know if they release it in Europe?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 am

Here’s a better look at Super Saiyan God Goku’s design for the movie:

What do you guys think? I personally like it. Not that SSG’s design was ever that bad (Yamamuro basically copied Toriyama’s design) but before there was an inconsistency in BoG and its anime arc, where Goku suddenly gained different boots when transforming into a SSG, and he also changed skin and gi colors. That was due to bad attention to details by Yamamuro, who should have used the boots Toriyama designed for SSG for the other forms of Goku too instead of keeping the classic ones, and also bad color design decisions which lead to Goku having reddish gi in his other forms.

Also here’s a comparison between SSG designs:

Shintani’s has the most natural pose of the bunch, with Yamamuro’s being the stiffest. The hair of Shintani’s version is also fluffier and less detailed, and I like it. I also prefer the muscles on Shintani’s a little more than on Toriyama’s, but the face is better on Toriyama’s. Still a very good work from Shintani, as always.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Honestly, I like yammuro and Akira designs better. Maybe it has to do with the saturations of the photo. But shintani design was very good too, I love how he gives that classic dragon ball look vibe we saw in db and Early Z. Goku eyes also look more natural with shintani as well.
Shintani’s has the most natural pose of the bunch, with Yamamuro’s being the stiffest. The hair of Shintani’s version is also fluffier and less detailed, and I like it. I also prefer the muscles on Shintani’s a little more than on Toriyama’s, but the face is better on Toriyama’s. Still a very good work from Shintani, as always.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:14 pm

emperior wrote:Here’s a better look at Super Saiyan God Goku’s design for the movie:

What do you guys think? I personally like it. Not that SSG’s design was ever that bad (Yamamuro basically copied Toriyama’s design) but before there was an inconsistency in BoG and its anime arc, where Goku suddenly gained different boots when transforming into a SSG, and he also changed skin and gi colors. That was due to bad attention to details by Yamamuro, who should have used the boots Toriyama designed for SSG for the other forms of Goku too instead of keeping the classic ones, and also bad color design decisions which lead to Goku having reddish gi in his other forms.

Gorgeous! Completely agree especially about the muscles, but I also do like the face is better on Shintani's.

White trim and ribbons going make sense, but would have been nice if they were kept.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote:Here’s a better look at Super Saiyan God Goku’s design for the movie:

Gorgeous! Completely agree especially about the muscles, but I also do like the face is better on Shintani's.

White trim and ribbons going make sense, but would have been nice if they were kept.
I was talking about Battle of Gods. It made absolutely no sense for Goku to magically gain different boots as a SSG. That was Yamamuro’s fault for not sticking to Toriyama’s design for Goku’s outfit in BoG. In fact Goku was wearing those same SSG boots in his normal state in Toriyama’s poster.
I am glad that Shintani is very particular on details, because Yamamuro certainly wasn’t.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:21 pm

emperior wrote: I was talking about Battle of Gods. It made absolutely no sense for Goku to magically gain different boots as a SSG. That was Yamamuro’s fault for not sticking to Toriyama’s design for Goku’s outfit in BoG. In fact Goku was wearing those same SSG boots in his normal state in Toriyama’s poster.
I am glad that Shintani is very particular on details, because Yamamuro certainly wasn’t.
Oh I agree which is I said it made sense, but I do prefer the white trim and ribbons overall so in that sense I am little disappointed but for consistency it's obviously for the better.

But about Yamamuro, he did completely new designs for BoG... so it's not like he just re-used a previous base Goku design for the movie, which makes why he kept SSG boots like Toriyama even more strange. Like you said either make base Goku's boots like that or change SSG to match base Goku's boots.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
emperior wrote: I was talking about Battle of Gods. It made absolutely no sense for Goku to magically gain different boots as a SSG. That was Yamamuro’s fault for not sticking to Toriyama’s design for Goku’s outfit in BoG. In fact Goku was wearing those same SSG boots in his normal state in Toriyama’s poster.
Oh I agree which is I said it made sense, but I do prefer the white trim and ribbons overall so in that sense I am little disappointed but for consistency it's obviously for the better.

But about Yamamuro, he did completely new designs for BoG... so it's not like he just re-used a previous base Goku design for the movie, which makes why he kept SSG boots like Toriyama even more strange. Like you said either make base Goku's boots like that or change SSG to match base Goku's boots.
Oh, I just noticed that in Shintani’s designs the shoe laces change color to red. That decision was probably made to match the colors better, so it’s not a big deal considering how hard it is to notice. I think it was done on purpose. That’s obviously better than Goku suddenly changing shoes.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:44 pm

I love it! I really liked the blue color and dark skin in movie 8, but the black hair + the yellow eyes + dark skin are a perfect match too.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:19 pm

I wonder if we're gonna get any comments from Shintani in the future? Would be interesting to hear what he says and what his thought process for some designs were.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:25 pm

On side a note, I never realized until now how much I rather goku to have his belt like that, instead of how he started using from Cell arc onwards.
It's a simple detail and yet it's making a lot of difference to me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:35 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:On side a note, I never realized until now how much I rather goku to have his belt like that, instead of how he started using from Cell arc onwards.
Yes! I wanted it back so much, it looks very nice especially in motion and I always liked it more when Goku used the belt like that. Probably it’s more nostalgic to me because he used it up to Namek, which is my favorite arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:43 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:On side a note, I never realized until now how much I rather goku to have his belt like that, instead of how he started using from Cell arc onwards.
That belt adds an element of looseness and flow to Goku's outfit. Without it his gi is just kinda stiff and starchy.