"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by cuartas » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:38 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
cuartas wrote:Transformation complete, THAT poster is the final confirmation to the comeback of the buu designs, slight differences, but the angular shapes, feature placement are and the linework, shading, etc are there
Definitely this is much more detailed than the first poster, I remember it and ugh, looks like shintani took note of Takahashi opinions and maybe his digital ssj goku drawing.

Something that I don't like it's the hair, normally there has to be some black lines in between, but there's only shades of blue
Lol, ok. I don’t really see hoe this looks like Buu saga at all. Still looks just like the Namek/Android Saga to me but whatever gets you to not complain i guess. Also, lol at the though of Shintani taking note from Takahashi’s opinions. It just sounds funny.
Glad I made you to lol that much, I'm sticking to my opinion though, this is not by any chance, anything like the first design and move towards buu designs, were Takahashi is their main promoter.
If Takahashi inspired Nii, why wouldn't that happen with Shintani, I see no joke here, and inspiration doesn't mean a direct appointment or something like some people is pointing out here.

Anyways, do you want me complaining? welp, the lore of the movie is a joke and made the DBS hiatus not worth it, if I were to choose we could be enjoying a planet sadala arc right now, instead of waiting for f**ing broly again

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:14 pm

cuartas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
cuartas wrote:Transformation complete, THAT poster is the final confirmation to the comeback of the buu designs, slight differences, but the angular shapes, feature placement are and the linework, shading, etc are there
Definitely this is much more detailed than the first poster, I remember it and ugh, looks like shintani took note of Takahashi opinions and maybe his digital ssj goku drawing.

Something that I don't like it's the hair, normally there has to be some black lines in between, but there's only shades of blue
Lol, ok. I don’t really see hoe this looks like Buu saga at all. Still looks just like the Namek/Android Saga to me but whatever gets you to not complain i guess. Also, lol at the though of Shintani taking note from Takahashi’s opinions. It just sounds funny.
Glad I made you to lol that much, I'm sticking to my opinion though, this is not by any chance, anything like the first design and move towards buu designs, were Takahashi is their main promoter.
If Takahashi inspired Nii, why wouldn't that happen with Shintani, I see no joke here, and inspiration doesn't mean a direct appointment or something like some people is pointing out here.

Anyways, do you want me complaining? welp, the lore of the movie is a joke and made the DBS hiatus not worth it, if I were to choose we could be enjoying a planet sadala arc right now, instead of waiting for f**ing broly again
You still haven’t explained how this looks like the Buu saga style. Any how, i rather we get a movie which will probably go down as the best looking, most successful, and maybe even most interesting, lore packed DB movie ever rather than rush into another arc with mediocre writing, inconsistencies out the wazoo, etc all from a show that still has a broken schedule.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:05 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
cuartas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Lol, ok. I don’t really see hoe this looks like Buu saga at all. Still looks just like the Namek/Android Saga to me but whatever gets you to not complain i guess. Also, lol at the though of Shintani taking note from Takahashi’s opinions. It just sounds funny.

You still haven’t explained how this looks like the Buu saga style. Any how, i rather we get a movie which will probably go down as the best looking, most successful, and maybe even most interesting, lore packed DB movie ever rather than rush into another arc with mediocre writing, inconsistencies out the wazoo, etc all from a show that still has a broken schedule.
I can see Buu Saga vibes too, but the artsyle is still it’s own things.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:21 am

I think assuming that the movie is what made DBS stop rather than DBS stopping on purpose and using the movie to push it forward for a better future is the real mistake here. This is obviously a big transitional period for the franchise and I think they're using a big movie with Broly in it to ensure it's a success that everyone sees before Super itself gets off to a better (re)start whenever it eventually hits TV again. This was obviously planned because they knew Dragon Ball in modern years has had very inefficient production. They'll have way better aesthetics in the show from here on out if they keep using the aesthetic sensibilities of the movie, even if TV budgets obviously give it more typical and static movement.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 am

Shaddy wrote:I think assuming that the movie is what made DBS stop rather than DBS stopping on purpose and using the movie to push it forward for a better future is the real mistake here. This is obviously a big transitional period for the franchise and I think they're using a big movie with Broly in it to ensure it's a success that everyone sees before Super itself gets off to a better (re)start whenever it eventually hits TV again. This was obviously planned because they knew Dragon Ball in modern years has had very inefficient production. They'll have way better aesthetics in the show from here on out if they keep using the aesthetic sensibilities of the movie, even if TV budgets obviously give it more typical and static movement.
I agree. I also believe they will be using the movie to sort of re-launch Super and fix the bad reputation some people have of it due to the bad animation it suffered from in the first arcs.
This will be their way to let the world know that Dragon Ball is still here and that it is still very good. And what better movie than one with incredible artstyle, which feels new yet nostalgic, and Broly as the main villain.
I expect the trailers to make a lot of views on YouTube, and lots of people are already talking and will be talking about this movie.
It also seems like they figured out the schedule to include worldwide localization, so I expect this movie to be released very close to the Japanese release date in other countries. We already know South America is getting it on January, which is much sooner than expected if we see their past trends with the releases of BoG and RoF.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 am

BrolyKale wrote:It'd be interesting if Broly had the same transformation as Kale, Berserker, controlled SSJBerserker, normal SSJ1 (light green hair).
Nah, I would prefer Broly to have his game/feature exclusive transformations like SSJ3, Legendary Oozaru, SSJ4 and God
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:31 pm

cuartas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

You do know that the designs have been under the works for over a year now right? The auditions were around Feb. 2017. That was before Takahashi even posted his first db practice art on twitter. That was before Takahashi became, y'know, Takahashi (before 110, 114). So theres no way Taka had any involvement or "inspiration" in Shintani's designs.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:11 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
cuartas wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Lol, ok. I don’t really see hoe this looks like Buu saga at all. Still looks just like the Namek/Android Saga to me but whatever gets you to not complain i guess. Also, lol at the though of Shintani taking note from Takahashi’s opinions. It just sounds funny.

You do know that the designs have been under the works for over a year now right? The auditions were around Feb. 2017. That was before Takahashi even posted his first db practice art on twitter. That was before Takahashi became, y'know, Takahashi (before 110, 114). So theres no way Taka had any involvement or "inspiration" in Shintani's designs.
Besides, these look nothing like Takahashi's.
Get Fucked, C_unt

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:17 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
cuartas wrote: Glad I made you to lol that much, I'm sticking to my opinion though, this is not by any chance, anything like the first design and move towards buu designs, were Takahashi is their main promoter.

Besides, these look nothing like Takahashi's.
Exactly.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:49 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote: You do know that the designs have been under the works for over a year now right? The auditions were around Feb. 2017. That was before Takahashi even posted his first db practice art on twitter. That was before Takahashi became, y'know, Takahashi (before 110, 114). So theres no way Taka had any involvement or "inspiration" in Shintani's designs.
And, do you know the designs have presented significant changes since the first poster in a matter of months, right? And that was after Takahashi first appeared on DBS, even the first design was after that.
do you guys need a chronological chart or something?

OK ok, I'll take your word if Takahashi wasn't a plausible inspiration, what made shintani to change the designs so drastically from an over excessive rounded shapes, bubbly faces, much more hair design, to more angular designs, the imperfect linework that even Ajay pointed out on his video, well defined muscles and a more detailed shading?

Ajay

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:58 am

I see absolutely no significant changes between the Super Saiyan design sheets and what's presented on the poster. They're just pulling an intense expression...?

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The initial reveal poster is the only outlier in otherwise stylistically consistent design sheets that we know were drawn well in advance of Takahashi even making a blip in this fandom.

I know the fanbase loves to put Takahashi up on a pedestal (and rightly so), but you know, it's okay for Shintani to also be great independent of Takahashi's existence.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am

Ajay wrote:I see absolutely no significant changes between the Super Saiyan design sheets and what's presented on the poster. They're just pulling an intense expression...?

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The initial reveal poster is the only outlier in otherwise stylistically consistent design sheets that we know were drawn well in advance of Takahashi even making a blip in this fandom.

I know the fanbase loves to put Takahashi up on a pedestal (and rightly so), but you know, it's okay for Shintani to also be great independent of Takahashi's existence.
I guess it might be jusr the shading/filters that are throwing some people off.
Feels over Reals.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 am

RedHeat wrote:I guess it might be jusr the shading/filters that are throwing some people off.
Yeah, I think the shading has a lot to do with it. It makes the designs look a little more round and bubbly than they do on the sheets.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:17 am

Ajay wrote:I see absolutely no significant changes between the Super Saiyan design sheets and what's presented on the poster. They're just pulling an intense expression...?

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Curved eyes instead of a straight line, less pointy nose and again, a curve defines the shape instead of a straight line, same with the eyebrows in SSJ it looked more like DBS, no curvature at all, SSB is more like we saw it on DBZ (and here I say DBZ because this feature is shared between all arcs).

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 am

cuartas wrote:Curved eyes instead of a straight line, less pointy nose and again, a curve defines the shape instead of a straight line, same with the eyebrows in SSJ it looked more like DBS, no curvature at all, SSB is more like we saw it on DBZ (and here I say DBZ because this feature is shared between all arcs).
Yes, funnily enough shapes do change when you pull an expression.

Deadtuber.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 am

cuartas wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote: You do know that the designs have been under the works for over a year now right? The auditions were around Feb. 2017. That was before Takahashi even posted his first db practice art on twitter. That was before Takahashi became, y'know, Takahashi (before 110, 114). So theres no way Taka had any involvement or "inspiration" in Shintani's designs.
And, do you know the designs have presented significant changes since the first poster in a matter of months, right? And that was after Takahashi first appeared on DBS, even the first design was after that.
do you guys need a chronological chart or something?

OK ok, I'll take your word if Takahashi wasn't a plausible inspiration, what made shintani to change the designs so drastically from an over excessive rounded shapes, bubbly faces, much more hair design, to more angular designs, the imperfect linework that even Ajay pointed out on his video, well defined muscles and a more detailed shading?
Wow, you are right! I heard that Yuya Takahashi had a lengthy discussion with Shintani regarding the designs. He explictly told him that people on Twitter were complaining about Goku looking like Luffy which is what made Shintani completely change his approach for this poster. Rumors say he even slapped Shintani on his wrist when he was drawing the poster to make him draw curve eyes.
Even if they write Naohiro Shintani as the character designer, behind the scenes it is actually Takahashi the mastermind who is pulling all the strings!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:55 am

Ajay wrote:
cuartas wrote:Curved eyes instead of a straight line, less pointy nose and again, a curve defines the shape instead of a straight line, same with the eyebrows in SSJ it looked more like DBS, no curvature at all, SSB is more like we saw it on DBZ (and here I say DBZ because this feature is shared between all arcs).
Yes, funnily enough shapes do change when you pull an expression.
A comment completely out of context, bravo :clap: :clap:
Let me ask you something: did we get curved eyes on Yamamuro designs (for instance) based on the expression?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:25 pm

cuartas wrote:A comment completely out of context, bravo :clap: :clap:
Let me ask you something: did we get curved eyes on Yamamuro designs (for instance) based on the expression?
How was that at all out of context? Cutting a quote chain is basic forum practise.

And modern Yamamuro? No, of course not. His rigid expressionless approach is the number one reason why his work isn't a touch on what it was. His older designs, however, absolutely introduced curves based on expression.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

That's... how expressions work. I shouldn't have to explain that.

I know your whole shtick is to be as obtuse as possible, but let's take it down a notch, okay?

Deadtuber.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

The amount of reaching in this thread thinking that Takahashi did this or that.

He just got inspired by Z Yamamuro and had an opportunity to show his style a couple times (until he was corrected in 131), his work is unrelated to what Shintani is putting out as they're both inspired from different eras. I hate to use the term but there's some serious fanboyism here when it comes to him. :lol:
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Ajay wrote:
cuartas wrote:A comment completely out of context, bravo :clap: :clap:
How was that at all out of context? Cutting a quote chain is basic forum practise.

And modern Yamamuro? No, of course not. His rigid expressionless approach is the number one reason why his work isn't a touch on what it was. His older designs, however, absolutely introduced curves based on expression.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

That's... how expressions work. I shouldn't have to explain that.

I know your whole shtick is to be as obtuse as possible, but let's take it down a notch, okay?
Ok, can I keep saying that shintani took inspiration from Takahashi based on recent design changes (more noticeable on base form)?