"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by cuartas » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:32 pm

JazzMazz wrote:I know this has probably already been asked, but how would people feel if the softer approach that they appear to be taking with this new movie was applied to an ongoing TV series?

Personally, I feel like it would be a good change for the TV side of the franchise after the Yamamuro designs.

I think a series with these character designs, and proper planning behind it, could easily be the strongest animated entry in the franchise by a huge margin.

What do you think on the topic and why?
If it's definitely not possible to have Takahashi into that role, I'm good with it but have conditions:
-Use the more recent belt, that pre-cell saga belt adds more complexity since it has to work with physics and all that stuff, and we're supposedly trying to make animator work easier
-Use cheek shading and improve the one used on closeups, because for real, is even worse that Yamamuro current approach, go back to Z cheek shading, I don't care if they only use 1 shading level
-Never, ever, add spikes between the ear and the eyebrow, looking 3 instead of 2 was terrible
-Correct feature placement, nose, eyes and ears
-Fix the excessive rounded eye shape
-Fix the nose, that is still looking like Yamamuro current approach (at least in the teaser), once again, Z nose is the best nose
-Get rid of that ultrageneric and stupid cut in the middle of the mouth, it just sucks and has to die
-Don't use those weird eye closeups where it gets different tones of black and gray, it's generic as well
-Add just a little more muscle definition, goku is not a 17yr old kid, also, having the ability to destroy entire universes and not being represented on his body? c'mon

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:21 am

JazzMazz wrote:I know this has probably already been asked, but how would people feel if the softer approach that they appear to be taking with this new movie was applied to an ongoing TV series?

Personally, I feel like it would be a good change for the TV side of the franchise after the Yamamuro designs.

I think a series with these character designs, and proper planning behind it, could easily be the strongest animated entry in the franchise by a huge margin.

What do you think on the topic and why?
I don't think they'd work on the designs so far ahead of time WITH Toriyama's involvement if the intention wasn't for this to be the style going forward. They also seem to be pushing the new artstyle fairly heavily in the little bit of marketing we've had so far.
Who knows if Shintani will be CD on the series when it returns to TV, but the style is almost definitely staying regardless.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:32 am

I can't imagine they'd spend over a year developing these designs and not use them when weekly dbs returns.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:53 am

Chuquita wrote:I can't imagine they'd spend over a year developing these designs and not use them when weekly dbs returns.
It would be a waste if they don't reuse these designs for Dragon Ball Super or a new Dragon Ball show.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 am

So, how animated do people want, and or expect the movie to be?

Personally, I would expect and hope it to be of a similar calibre of the latest One Piece films.

Those movies were just jam-packed with fantastic movement, in not only the fights, but also character acting animation, something Dragonball has a history of lacking. That's something I'm looking forward to seeing in this film.

If the new movie is as animated as those One Piece films, I would be extremely happy with it.

So again, what do you want and expect from the film visually?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:35 am

JazzMazz wrote:So, how animated do people want, and or expect the movie to be?

Personally, I would expect and hope it to be of a similar calibre of the latest One Piece films.
If its animation is on par with Film: Gold and Film: Z, I'll be very happy. The final fights in Film: Gold looked fantastic.

In the announcement back in December, it said that "this film is being diligently produced with the goal of having the greatest scale and quality of the series to date!" This makes me think that we could get something that looks even better than the last two One Piece movies. If the teaser and new simpler character designs are signs of what's to come, then I'm expecting a lot of character acting throughout the film.

Does anyone know how long it took Toei to make the last three One Piece movies? This Super film got its announcement a year prior to its release. I'm wondering if the movie is getting a longer production time compared to the latest One Piece movies. I'm also guessing that since this movie obviously has lengthier production time compared to the last two DBZ films, does that mean that the film will be longer? Around 2 hours, maybe?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 am

I'd like to see lots of blows being traded close up without relying on looped punch cycles/ki blasts, the characters being obscured by zoom outs/aura effects, or attacks starting in one cut then switching to another for the impact. Something I started noticing even in the final episodes (but which was present before) is that the characters don't really move that much when they're in frame and drawn with any significant detail and when there is the animators use the techniques I mentioned above to convey movement instead. It started to feel like they were animating around the characters at times.

Perfect example is the final rush on Jiren. Goku bursts into frame in detail, but the impact and beginning of the push are reduced to streaks of light. Then it zooms in on them for a second, then back out as they push him off. How cool would it have been if they'd shown all of that with Goku, Jiren and Frieza visible in frame the whole time? That's what I'm hoping the new character designs will allow.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:28 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
I'd like to see lots of blows being traded close up without relying on looped punch cycles/ki blasts, the characters being obscured by zoom outs/aura effects, or attacks starting in one cut then switching to another for the impact. Something I started noticing even in the final episodes (but which was present before) is that the characters don't really move that much when they're in frame and drawn with any significant detail and when there is the animators use the techniques I mentioned above to convey movement instead. It started to feel like they were animating around the characters at times.

Perfect example is the final rush on Jiren. Goku bursts into frame in detail, but the impact and beginning of the push are reduced to streaks of light. Then it zooms in on them for a second, then back out as they push him off. How cool would it have been if they'd shown all of that with Goku, Jiren and Frieza visible in frame the whole time? That's what I'm hoping the new character designs will allow.
That's what I'm expecting for this film. I would really disappointed if it's not like that at all.
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:21 pm

With the staff we know so far and what seems to be friendly character designs, I expect it to be the best animated DB Movie. Hopefully on par with the last One Piece Movies.
It's the 20th Movie and this franchise deserves it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:

If its animation is on par with Film: Gold and Film: Z, I'll be very happy. The final fights in Film: Gold looked fantastic.

In the announcement back in December, it said that "this film is being diligently produced with the goal of having the greatest scale and quality of the series to date!" This makes me think that we could get something that looks even better than the last two One Piece movies. If the teaser and new simpler character designs are signs of what's to come, then I'm expecting a lot of character acting throughout the film.

Does anyone know how long it took Toei to make the last three One Piece movies? This Super film got its announcement a year prior to its release. I'm wondering if the movie is getting a longer production time compared to the latest One Piece movies. I'm also guessing that since this movie obviously has lengthier production time compared to the last two DBZ films, does that mean that the film will be longer? Around 2 hours, maybe?
The longest a Dragon Ball Movie has ever been is 1 hour and 33 minutes for Rof OR 1 hour and 45 minutes if you count the extended versions of BoG or RoF.

One Piece Film Z was also 1 hour and 45 minutes long while One Piece Film Gold was exactly 1 hour and 59 minutes long (one min short of 2 hours). I don’t know about Film Z but Gold was announced about 1 year before it was released. And we already know that key animation is already happening so i’d assume that the movie is from 1 hour and 30 min to 2 hours long.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:29 am

I really want this movie to be exactly 2 hours long, and it could very well be if they delve deep into Saiyan's history.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 am

Takashi Hashimoto is basically confirmed: https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeAjay/st ... 2771931137

And maybe this guy too? : https://mobile.twitter.com/keiichiree_Z ... 9260451840

Is that Watanabe? I’m not sure. Who’s twitter is that?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am

Hashimoto is confirmed. He said he's "participating" in a follow-up tweet from the one where he said he was attending a Dragon Ball meeting.

The other tweet is from Keeichi Sato, but he's just saying he also visited Toei's building. No confirmation of involvement in the movie.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:05 am

For those who're curious, Takahashi Hashimoto is a super amazing effects animator, to the point where he has been dubbed 'Explosions-guy' by fans of his work.

No seriously, check this out:

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/35294
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/41921
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/35256

And that's just from a quick glance at the booru.
Last edited by Firebolt on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am

Yeah, he's excellent. He was the effects supervisor on One Piece Film Z and Film Gold. He was also heavily involved in Your Name, with pretty much all the amazing effects work in that movie coming from him. Definitely a great name to have attached to the project.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Seems like they are taking this really serious.
Is there any chance of Yoshimichi Kameda work on this Movie? Or is that asking for too much?!

I was expecting him to say something about the new character designs considering his disappointment with Yamamuro's work in BOG, but so far nothing.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Hashimoto being in is excellent news, the fact he worked on a big movie such as Your Name and delivered the beautiful effects the movie is filled with makes me incredibly happy they could get such a talent to work on Super's movie. It seems like they are gathering a lot of talented staff and I wouldn't be surprised if we get confirmation of more and more big names working on this movie. They definitely aren't lying when they say they want this to be the best animated Dragon Ball movie ever, and I hope be satisfied with just that and will be trying to make this one of the best animated movie ever.
The franchise is at its best in terms of popularity because of Super, and if they are able to get this out on a simultaneous worldwide release then it's going to be a guaranteed success.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Hashimoto is good news. It makes me wonder if we'll have more than the traditional hand-to-hand combat in this movie.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Come on, Toei. Hire Nakamura Yutaka under an alias or something. Let's go overboard.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Hashimoto is good news. It makes me wonder if we'll have more than the traditional hand-to-hand combat in this movie.
I'm just glad that he is working on Dragon Ball!
Majinwarman