"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 19662
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 am

I hope Shintani stick around as character design for several projects Dragon Ball anime related. The guy has got the style of old school prime Toriyama down to a patent.

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 17, 2018 11:49 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I hope Shintani stick around as character design for several projects Dragon Ball anime related. The guy has got the style of old school prime Toriyama down to a patent.

He HAS to stick around. Toriyama specifically chose him, didn't he? Hopefully that's a sign that he'll be in this position for good
Vegeta! We can get even stronger!
Of course! A Saiyan's strenght has no limits!


My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5622
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby ArchedThunder » Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 am

Some key things to remember
They started work on the designs back in February of 2017, almost 2 years before the movie's release.
They were doing auditions for the role months before they even had an idea for a movie.
Toriyama hand picked Shintani.

Shintani is likely a permanent replacement for Yamamuro.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 19662
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Some key things to remember
They started work on the designs back in February of 2017, almost 2 years before the movie's release.
They were doing auditions for the role months before they even had an idea for a movie.
Toriyama hand picked Shintani.

Shintani is likely a permanent replacement for Yamamuro.

I can sleep easy now.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14838
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Chuquita » Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 pm

The new character designs in VJump this month make me so happy! I love the new colors for Vegeta's armor, everyone's hair and that they fixed the slightly off feature placement on Gokû. Good stuff!
My deviantart : Dragon Ball doodles and comics
My tumblr : Assorted goods and stuff
---
Piccolo: Listen...in the instant he moves to attack...he's open... We'll use that instant...
Vegeta: Good plan. I hope it works.
Piccolo: ...
Vegeta: Don't look at me. You'll miss your instant.
Piccolo: So confident...I hope to see your face when Son Gokû arrives...
Vegeta: Oh? And who's that? Your secret weapon?

User avatar
majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1597
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Freeza Planet 1

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby majinwarman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Some key things to remember
They started work on the designs back in February of 2017, almost 2 years before the movie's release.
They were doing auditions for the role months before they even had an idea for a movie.
Toriyama hand picked Shintani.

Shintani is likely a permanent replacement for Yamamuro.

I can sleep easy now.

I think we all can!!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5858
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Metalwario64 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 pm

I feel the proportions in the new art fix every problem I had with the initial key art.

Image

The pants aren't overly baggy, and the legs are a bit shorter in length, and the face isn't too small compared to the rest of his head. Plus, the facial features are placed perfectly now, and the hair isn't as overly long either. I also like how the muscles don't look bubbly here. The first image had overly round muscles that don't sit well with me.

Also, Vegeta looks great. I love the Gundam RG-esque multi tone of white going on in his armor.
"There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he just chipped away the rough edges." --Colonel Trautman

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai

"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 9442
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I can sleep easy now.

Isn't it a bit too early to go to sleep? Tired from a day of destroying, Lord B? :P
Top releases of each month to look forward too:
December: DBS Movie Ichiban Kuji Prize A Super Saiyan Broly Full Power, Prize D SSGSS Son Goku (sculptors currently unknown), Ultimate Soldier I Anger Broly (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
January: DBS Movie Ultimate Soldiers IV (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
February: DBS Movie WCF vol.3 (sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures Album of SSGSS shots Album of Ultra Instinct shots Album of Ultra Instinct "Omen" shots Album of SSG shots

User avatar
FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:07 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby FortuneSSJ » Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Thoughts:

Thank God, the Zero Highlights Plan has finally begun! All of the them look great and full of life!

Looks like they're using Freeza arc as reference.
Goku is using his belt like back then and Vegeta's design and colors remind me of his design in Freeza Arc.

That Base Goku's face design is better than the first one.

Looks like Toriyama was right:
One thing Toriyama told them to watch out for when auditioning a new character designer was if they could make a character look cool standing straight facing forward. It’s easier to make a character look cool facing to one side, but they often look awkward facing straight ahead. So whether or not they could draw Goku's face was irrelevant, since if they had real artistic skill they could simply learn that later.

Now I hope it's the same thing in the Movie and he doesn't have any feature placement problems that reminds me of Luffy. Shintani is working on DB now. :wink:
I need to see how everything looks in motion, because I'm not satisfied with the first teaser.

As for the colors, I think the first Shintani SSJ Goku we got in V-Jump cover is closer to how he will look like with the aura.
Usually Saiyans outfit/hair color tones change when they are using/not using aura in SSJ. This new one seems more appropriate to when they don't have it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The beauty of Universe Survival arc - My gallery about Universe Survival arc

User avatar
Asura
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1919
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Asura » Thu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Character designs looking much better than what we initially saw in the teaser, although the almost complete lack of shading on Base Goku still gets on my nerves. Shading on the SSJ version is far better. This style is far better than Super's, but far worse than Buu arc designs/Takahashi designs IMO.

User avatar
JacobYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 11895
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby JacobYBM » Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I feel the proportions in the new art fix every problem I had with the initial key art.

Image

The pants aren't overly baggy, and the legs are a bit shorter in length, and the face isn't too small compared to the rest of his head. Plus, the facial features are placed perfectly now, and the hair isn't as overly long either. I also like how the muscles don't look bubbly here. The first image had overly round muscles that don't sit well with me.

Also, Vegeta looks great. I love the Gundam RG-esque multi tone of white going on in his armor.


Wow, talk about night and day. The character sheet looks so much more relaxed. I'm beginning to wonder if that poster was even Shintani, because the sheet matches the initial PV much more.
Want to learn about the Japanese Animation industry? Watch SHIROBAKO!

Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 9442
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I just especially love the way the boots are drawn!
Top releases of each month to look forward too:
December: DBS Movie Ichiban Kuji Prize A Super Saiyan Broly Full Power, Prize D SSGSS Son Goku (sculptors currently unknown), Ultimate Soldier I Anger Broly (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
January: DBS Movie Ultimate Soldiers IV (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
February: DBS Movie WCF vol.3 (sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures Album of SSGSS shots Album of Ultra Instinct shots Album of Ultra Instinct "Omen" shots Album of SSG shots

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2099
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby JazzMazz » Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 pm

JacobYBM wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:I feel the proportions in the new art fix every problem I had with the initial key art.

Image

The pants aren't overly baggy, and the legs are a bit shorter in length, and the face isn't too small compared to the rest of his head. Plus, the facial features are placed perfectly now, and the hair isn't as overly long either. I also like how the muscles don't look bubbly here. The first image had overly round muscles that don't sit well with me.

Also, Vegeta looks great. I love the Gundam RG-esque multi tone of white going on in his armor.


Wow, talk about night and day. The character sheet looks so much more relaxed. I'm beginning to wonder if that poster was even Shintani, because the sheet matches the initial PV much more.

Perhaps the promo art was Shintani's initial audition for the role? It would make sense considering how vastly different they are to the final designs, as well as some of Toriyama's comments on him looking for someone who had balance as opposed to just being able to draw dragonball.

User avatar
Exline
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Exline » Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Idk how I feel about that Goku art now tbh. I might be in the minority, but I prefer the version we got first. The design in those sheets are giving Yamamuro vibes, however, less stiff.

It may be just the low resolution tho. It still looks good nonetheless.

Sodhi
I Live Here
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Sodhi » Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Man...this is such a good day for me. The new designs look amazing. Perfect balance of everything. I could not be any happier. Bless Shintani :)

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5622
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby ArchedThunder » Thu May 17, 2018 6:15 pm

JacobYBM wrote:Wow, talk about night and day. The character sheet looks so much more relaxed. I'm beginning to wonder if that poster was even Shintani, because the sheet matches the initial PV much more.

The PV was still seemingly pretty off model.

User avatar
cuartas
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:16 am

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby cuartas » Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 pm

I like the second goku design better, his ups surpasses his downs, I have a complaint in the neck area though, it's too thin to be honest, it doesn't keep consistency with the other muscles in a guy that works out

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5886
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby jjgp1112 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:19 pm

This looks so close to the manga designs in the Saiyan/Frieza sagas
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby A Man named RJ » Fri May 18, 2018 1:30 am

cuartas wrote:I like the second goku design better, his ups surpasses his downs, I have a complaint in the neck area though, it's too thin to be honest, it doesn't keep consistency with the other muscles in a guy that works out


But it makes him look younger, and more spryly, something I'm very fond of for Goku who is a Grandpa at this point.
Hey, If anybody can fluently speak Japanese, please PM me, I'm working on a piece that requires both proper, and horribly broken Japanese.

You will get full credit as "Japanese Corespondent, and Translations" or whatever appropriate title you chose.

Thank you!

User avatar
Vegeta_Sama
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Location: Capsule Corporation
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Postby Vegeta_Sama » Fri May 18, 2018 8:16 am

A Man named RJ wrote:
cuartas wrote:I like the second goku design better, his ups surpasses his downs, I have a complaint in the neck area though, it's too thin to be honest, it doesn't keep consistency with the other muscles in a guy that works out


But it makes him look younger, and more spryly, something I'm very fond of for Goku who is a Grandpa at this point.

Well, they have been saying for years that Saiyans are much older than they look, so I don't really see a problem here. It's in line with the lore.
Vegeta! We can get even stronger!
Of course! A Saiyan's strenght has no limits!


My interpretation of the Dragon Ball Canon


Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GodVegetto91, RecolorSaiyan, Shaddy, ssj3kakarot, UltraPrimus22, vashter and 21 guests