"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Nafno wrote:Come on, Toei. Hire Nakamura Yutaka under an alias or something. Let's go overboard.
I think I might die if I see him pop up in this movie.

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:48 am

Shingo Yamashita would do a wonderful job on DB with Shintani's designs! His background animation would compliment the nature of DB fights pretty well.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:47 am

Man, posting after such a long time.The news of hashimoto made me really excited and I cannot resist to show my happiness. He was one my first sakuga crushes and still is probably my favorite. Now to see his name attached with the franchise I invest so much time into makes me want to say bless Shintani and DB's future. :D

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:15 pm

https://twitter.com/naoV47/status/987696605070438400

Shida says again that he didn't participate in the designs auditions, but also drops a quite interesting info: Toriyama personally chose Shintani to be the character designer among the auditors. That must have been a honor for Shintani, and I hope this means he will stick with Dragon Ball for many years.
Having confirmation that Toriyama was involved in the process is really nice. Ever since I realized how Toriyama in Super didn't have a big involvment as I expected I wanted him to have a bigger role, and my wishes have been fullfilled with him writing the movie script, picking the character designer and also, as they said back in December, designing lots of characters and other stuff for this movie, more than he has ever designed for a Dragon Ball movie.

He is also providing designs for Legends! He's incredibly involved with Dragon Ball stuff lately, which is why I'm very positive about this upcoming movie.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 pm

emperior wrote:Shida says again that he didn't participate in the designs auditions, but also drops a quite interesting info: Toriyama personally chose Shintani to be the character designer among the auditors. That must have been a honor for Shintani, and I hope this means he will stick with Dragon Ball for many years.
Whoa, that is a huge honour! If that really is the case, then there's no reason as to why they would go straight back to Yamamuro's character designs when Super eventually comes back after this movie.

This movie just feels like a big transition for Dragon Ball on the production side of things. I'm really excited for the future of the series.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:48 pm

That Toriyama chose him makes me feel like we've officially escaped current-day Yamamuro designs for real this time and what a relief. :D
I'm really looking forward to seeing fresh new art style stuff especially during future "big intro moments" now that I know there's a character model sheet rule about that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:59 pm

emperior wrote:https://twitter.com/naoV47/status/987696605070438400

Shida says again that he didn't participate in the designs auditions, but also drops a quite interesting info: Toriyama personally chose Shintani to be the character designer among the auditors. That must have been a honor for Shintani, and I hope this means he will stick with Dragon Ball for many years.
Having confirmation that Toriyama was involved in the process is really nice. Ever since I realized how Toriyama in Super didn't have a big involvment as I expected I wanted him to have a bigger role, and my wishes have been fullfilled with him writing the movie script, picking the character designer and also, as they said back in December, designing lots of characters and other stuff for this movie, more than he has ever designed for a Dragon Ball movie.

He is also providing designs for Legends! He's incredibly involved with Dragon Ball stuff lately, which is why I'm very positive about this upcoming movie.
I like the positive signs I'm seeing here. I hope that the movie looks great and when Super comes back or when new series is made, these designs are reused.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:38 am

I have a feeling that once DB comes back as a weekly series, we’ll get more movies frequently. When DB was airing, we got 2 movies a year. I don’t think it will be ask much but maybe we’ll get a movie a year while db is still airing.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 am

Just the way Goku looks in the short teaser makes me super excited for these character designs. It just looks so incredibly Dragon Ball, more so than anything we've had in years. I wish that's how Super had looked.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 am

I'm glad they're hiring some great animators for the film.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:57 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:I have a feeling that once DB comes back as a weekly series, we’ll get more movies frequently. When DB was airing, we got 2 movies a year. I don’t think it will be ask much but maybe we’ll get a movie a year while db is still airing.
Those days are over. Dragon Ball Z suffered during the production of the movies as it was and those were shorter and less straining than movies nowadays tend to be. Those movies were also made during a time where there were more available animators in the industry. One Piece and PreCure always suffer when they have movies in production because they place a scheduling and staffing strain on those series and take away potential staff that can keep them on schedule or handle difficult cuts. Adding in a third movie along with another weekly series would devastate production, especially considering all of Toei Animation's other projects.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:I have a feeling that once DB comes back as a weekly series, we’ll get more movies frequently. When DB was airing, we got 2 movies a year. I don’t think it will be ask much but maybe we’ll get a movie a year while db is still airing.
Those days are over. Dragon Ball Z suffered during the production of the movies as it was and those were shorter and less straining than movies nowadays tend to be. Those movies were also made during a time where there were more available animators in the industry. One Piece and PreCure always suffer when they have movies in production because they place a scheduling and staffing strain on those series and take away potential staff that can keep them on schedule or handle difficult cuts. Adding in a third movie along with another weekly series would devastate production, especially considering all of Toei Animation's other projects.
I imagine we'll be looking at one movie every 2-4 years.
Precure should probably cool it with the movies, don't they do 2 a year?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:38 pm

I would rather get a TV show at its best then seeing Super facing the difficulties it had again just so that they can release a movie every year. I also rather want Toriyama to be busy writing new stories for the TV show while overseeing it instead than him focusing on movie scripts and designs, and it seems like lately Toei isn't willing to do any Movie/TV special/OVA/TV show if Toriyama isn't involved in some capacity.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Are there ever any commercials for Dragon Ball movies on TV in anywhere other than Japan? I never saw any commercials for BoG or RoF in America on tv at all.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
I imagine we'll be looking at one movie every 2-4 years.
Precure should probably cool it with the movies, don't they do 2 a year?
Precure's been helping itself out by splitting its recent movies into multiple segments with some stories being cgi and some being hand drawn animation. They've got really talented cgi artists too so it actually looks nice. There's rumours this October's 15th anniversary movie will be full cgi.

This is their guy, he's real good: https://mobile.twitter.com/gatyapen?lang=en

I think they'll keep doing 2 movies a year, but continue the recent trends of one shorter 2D segment with two cgi segments and only using three Precure teams per each All Stars movie to cut back on the number of characters to animate.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:02 pm

I'd honestly take regular TV specials (every 1-2 years) over regular movies anyways.
They don't even have to be any longer than what's needed for a 1 hour time slot. Maybe and hour and a half time slot, since that'd be about an hour for the actual special.
Honestly, if a TV special is made for a 2 hour timeslot it should probably just be a movie anyways.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:26 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I'd honestly take regular TV specials (every 1-2 years) over regular movies anyways.
They don't even have to be any longer than what's needed for a 1 hour time slot. Maybe and hour and a half time slot, since that'd be about an hour for the actual special.
Honestly, if a TV special is made for a 2 hour timeslot it should probably just be a movie anyways.
I would fine with a TV special as well. We don't need it to be like the Z days with two films per year with a weekly show going on.
Majinwarman

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:51 am

ArchedThunder wrote:I'd honestly take regular TV specials (every 1-2 years) over regular movies anyways.
To be honest, I would prefer what they are doing here, DBS series starts then temporary ends in a few years, get a new movie then the DBS series picks back up and rinse and repeat. That way they don't overdue DB and they can chill a bit on production aswell.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
To be honest, I would prefer what they are doing here, DBS series starts then temporary ends in a few years, get a new movie then the DBS series picks back up and rinse and repeat. That way they don't overdue DB and they can chill a bit on production aswell.
That would be interesting to see happen.
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:25 pm

According to the new interview, Toriyama was really strict with the new Goku character design, as he should be, because change the character designs of this franchise is a huge responsibility. I'm also not seeing these designs going anywhere anytime soon. It would be cool if they took this chance to finally make Goten/Trunks older. It's about damn time!

Hopefully the other character designs don't have the feature placement problems Goku design seems to have.