"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by dodonpa » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:22 pm

It's hard to like the overall look of the movie when you see how vastly superior the Takahashi segments look. I understand that Shintani redesigns are easier to animate but all the flashback part seems pretty ecstatic and lacking action; I don't think we are going to see big battles there so I would prefer a more detailed style. I'm not a fan of the thick lines either.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 am

This trailer is simply beautiful.
Until now, I didn't understand why many people attack Yamamuro's character designs.
This movie is like fresh air in a stale room.
Long live the New Dragon Ball! :clap:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:25 pm

I rewatched Broly first Movie some weeks ago and today Badock TV Special.

When it comes to direction, storyboard and animation I don't think this movie will have many problems in beating both.
When it comes to artstyle, I'm not sure even though I already know I will love Takahashi section at least.
Kikuchi is unbeatable in the music department, but if DBS is any indication Sumitomo improved a lot and I expect him to do well.

The writing will be the main problem.
I feel like if I watch the Movie with a open mind ignoring all the retcons, it may be the best written DB Movie ever, but I'm really not sure. At least when it comes to characterization I expect a better written Vegeta and Broly than the first Broly movie, but I fear Bardock will be much worse.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Do you guys have an idea who that guy could be?
He says he animated some action cut on Broly
https://twitter.com/46gane_9gane/status ... 3120623616

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Rabdom User wrote:Do you guys have an idea who that guy could be?
He says he animated some action cut on Broly
https://twitter.com/46gane_9gane/status ... 3120623616
That's Hayato Torii. Here's what ANN has for him: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... ?id=115159

Rabdom User

Post by Rabdom User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks man
Guess Ajay has to update his post again.
He worked on Little Witch Academia,so he can't be that bad,right?

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ronin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:15 pm

The animation in the trailer looks way better than the other 2 movies and most of anything in Super so far. So glad they're not excessively highlighting everything like they've been doing. I wish the CGI stuff was a bit better, though. Hopefully it won't be too distracting. And I also have no idea what's up with Freeza in this.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:17 pm

Ronin wrote:The animation in the trailer looks way better than the other 2 movies and most of anything in Super so far. So glad they're not excessively highlighting everything like they've been doing. I wish the CGI stuff was a bit better, though. Hopefully it won't be too distracting. And I also have no idea what's up with Freeza in this.
Freeza-chan is his father's pretty pink Princess, as TeamFourStar would say.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:18 am

Ronin wrote:The animation in the trailer looks way better than the other 2 movies and most of anything in Super so far. So glad they're not excessively highlighting everything like they've been doing. I wish the CGI stuff was a bit better, though. Hopefully it won't be too distracting. And I also have no idea what's up with Freeza in this.
They're using Freeza's original colors from the manga. Why he doesn't have his armor present with him?... I don't know the answer to that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm

superfan2024 wrote:
They're using Freeza's original colors from the manga. Why he doesn't have his armor present with him?... I don't know the answer to that.
If the Freeza armour thing isn't explained I think it's still can make sense, since in the manga the flashback happened via Freeza he could have easily mis-remembered he wore armour, since he had been wearing armour for ages he might have thought he always did so when he though back to destroying Planet Vegeta he probably imagined himself wearing armour.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: If the Freeza armour thing isn't explained I think it's still can make sense, since in the manga the flashback happened via Freeza he could have easily mis-remembered he wore armour, since he had been wearing armour for ages he might have thought he always did so when he though back to destroying Planet Vegeta he probably imagined himself wearing armour.
Isn't just easier to accept it's a retcon considering Freeza never looked like that in the manga and anime for 20+ years?!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: If the Freeza armour thing isn't explained I think it's still can make sense, since in the manga the flashback happened via Freeza he could have easily mis-remembered he wore armour, since he had been wearing armour for ages he might have thought he always did so when he though back to destroying Planet Vegeta he probably imagined himself wearing armour.
Isn't just easier to accept it's a retcon considering Freeza never looked like that in the manga and anime for 20+ years?!
I don't think it is a big deal that Freeza doesn't have armour on.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:25 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Isn't just easier to accept it's a retcon considering Freeza never looked like that in the manga and anime for 20+ years?!
Or we could just wait and see if there's an in-universe justification for it. Him being pink is likely just a shift in the colors to be manga accurate. King Cold also had his colors adjusted so that his limbs are a different color from his torso instead of a uniform purple shade (which is not accurate to his manga colors in the full color version fwiw). The mysteries are 1) why he doesn't have his battle suit on, and 2) why his limb stripes are missing. Him not always having his chest armor is the only way his Namek design makes any sense since you can clearly see he doesn't have the white parts or puple gems covering his shoulders when he's wearing his battle suit.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:53 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Isn't just easier to accept it's a retcon considering Freeza never looked like that in the manga
When did he ever appear differently without armor in the manga? Can't be a retcon if there's no change to begin with.
BlueBasilisk wrote:(which is not accurate to his manga colors in the full color version fwiw)
Actually, the Full Color edition is not faithful to the manga colors either.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
When did he ever appear differently without armor in the manga? Can't be a retcon if there's no change to begin with.
Here:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm

That's a transformation though. He buffed himself up and that's what destroyed the armor, no? So we haven't seen what he looks like under that armor without doing that. Or the shoulder things he has is more like a growing exoskeleton he doesn't have earlier on.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:Actually, the Full Color edition is not faithful to the manga colors either.
Is there another color illustration of Cold? The only one I've seen is the full color chapter page with him and Mecha Frieza.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm

I don't think so. I've checked the Chogashu and there isn't any. Also, we don't know the extent of how faithful they are getting. Piccolo, for example, remains unchanged from the shot we got in the previous trailer.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 am

That's a pity. I like Cold so I'd gladly take more art of him. And Trunks and Bulma are likewise unchanged based on the character posters.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
Here:
Interesting to see some of the changes they made to the first form of Freeza in the new designs. They very much seem to have streamlined it a bit, by removing all the lines that wrapped around his arms and legs, as well as reducing the amount of lines on his face.

Not sure whether to think of Freeza's lack of shoulder thingy's as further streamline or something that was intentional considering the fact Freeza was sort of in the beginning faze of transformation...

Either way, I think its good to see that Shintani is actually making an effort to streamline the designs for characters that were more comlicated to draw.

Hopefully we see some nice character acting from Freeza in that form.