"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:06 am

Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
Animation Supervisor & Character Designer: Naohiro Shintani
Art Director: Kazuo Ogura

TRAILER 1:

[spoiler]Teaser 1 - Key Animation by Ryo Onishi (Confirmed)

Goku Promo Poster by Naohiro Shintani

Official Poster by Naohiro Shintani:

Character Sheets by Naohiro Shintani:

Image[/spoiler]

Naotoshi Shida
Yuya Takahashi (Supervisor)
Takashi Hashimoto (Effects Supervisor)
Ken Arto (Yapiko Animation)
Mehdi Aouichaoui (Yapiko Animation)
Eddie Mehong (Yapiko Animation Founder)
Studio Guts
Ryo Onishi (Trailer Appearance)
Naoki Tate (Trailer Appearance)
Takeo Ide (Supervisor)
Miyako Tsuji (Supervisor)
Yoshihiko Umakoshi

• Naohiro Shintani gained the role of character designer through an audition
• Character designs have been in the works since February 2017 with direct feedback from Akira Toriyama
• The looser design was created to emphasise the action within the film
• Toei have established 'Film Planning Department #3', dedicated primarily to Dragon Ball
• Yapiko Animation asked to help out on Dragon Ball Super, but because of scheduling issues, they were unable to.
Instead, Toei asked them to help with the movie
• External studios have finished the layout phase, and are currently doing key animation, implying the storyboard is complete (March 2018)
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 am

Quite exciting to know that key animation has already happened nearly nine months before the release of the film. I hope that the best key animators spend their full power on the film!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Akuma Johnson

Post by Akuma Johnson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:18 am

This movie has the potential to be the best Dragon Ball movie. Period.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao
Discord username (with tag) - Razius#2781

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:20 am

Holy crap, this is phenomenal. AJ Styles level phenomenal.

Magnificent work, Ajay. :clap:

I have few questions:

1. Will you only update the thread with clips from the official home release of the movie or will you use HD clips and snippets released from the eventual trailers and TV spots that will be released for the movie?
2. With more information about the movie (inevitably) going to be released with the coming months until the movie's release, will you update the thread accordingly to that? Tidbits like characters designs, behind the scenes (animation staff involved) information about the movie and other miscellaneous information like that?
3. When you're done with this, will you update the main page of Super Animation Catalogue sometime this century?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:30 am

Though I'm less than optimistic about the actual script for the film, I can at least say in full confidence that this has the most going for it in being called the best animated Dragonball films. The majority of early movies were either rushed under tight schedules, were ruined by awful animation direction in the case of the last two movies, or were horribly directed and storyboarded, as was more specifically the case with ROF.

To me, it seems they have made sure to carefully plan out the production of the film in order to make it the best it can possibly be, and considering the impressive staff, and the enthusiasm towards the project, I believe it easily has the potential to being the best animated and possibly best directed DB film ever.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 am

I am so excited for this project as well, but I'm on the fence with whether or not I should follow the production too closely. I'm afraid that if will to get to know the various animators and their styles too well to the point I will recognized them as I watch it, it will distract me too much and mess with getting immersed in the story.

Either way, thanks so much for your work and contributions Ajay.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 am

Some work of studio yapiko,it looks extremely good to me animation wise:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5ZVpnaGDg
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:49 am

Michsi wrote:I am so excited for this project as well, but I'm on the fence with whether or not I should follow the production too closely. I'm afraid that if will to get to know the various animators and their styles too well to the point I will recognized them as I watch it, it will distract me too much and mess with getting immersed in the story.

Knowing who does what will simply add more to the film. You'll get to know the humans and their feelings behind how they animate each cut. With the teaser we see that Oonishi Ryou doesn't really animated Gokuu as if he is confident, merely that Gokuu is excited for the moment. The way he bounces up and down and the way his clothes move have a feeling a tension different from stifling--it's a tension of a storm of joy brewing. Oonishi's the kind of animator that can use his humanistic timing to either create moments of dread and heartbreak or unbridled anticipation.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Michsi wrote:I am so excited for this project as well, but I'm on the fence with whether or not I should follow the production too closely. I'm afraid that if will to get to know the various animators and their styles too well to the point I will recognized them as I watch it, it will distract me too much and mess with getting immersed in the story.

Knowing who does what will simply add more to the film. You'll get to know the humans and their feelings behind how they animate each cut. With the teaser we see that Oonishi Ryou doesn't really animated Gokuu as if he is confident, merely that Gokuu is excited for the moment. The way he bounces up and down and the way his clothes move have a feeling a tension different from stifling--it's a tension of a storm of joy brewing. Oonishi's the kind of animator that can use his humanistic timing to either create moments of dread and heartbreak or unbridled anticipation.
Oh, I am well aware of the benefits of looking at an animated work from a different perspective. I admire animation as an art form very much. It's just an added risk, that instead of simply registering Goku's playfulness as nothing but that, I'd start thinking of how it was done, who did it, and how it differs from other animators- as I said, it's a bit distracting.

Oh, who am I fooling. I'll be absorbing every bit of news about this movie that comes out.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Holy crap, this is phenomenal. AJ Styles level phenomenal.

Magnificent work, Ajay. :clap:

I have few questions:

1. Will you only update the thread with clips from the official home release of the movie or will you use HD clips and snippets released from the eventual trailers and TV spots that will be released for the movie?
2. With more information about the movie (inevitably) going to be released with the coming months until the movie's release, will you update the thread accordingly to that? Tidbits like characters designs, behind the scenes (animation staff involved) information about the movie and other miscellaneous information like that?
3. When you're done with this, will you update the main page of Super Animation Catalogue sometime this century?
I can answer the last question. Ajay said that he will be moving the Super Animation Catalogue to other website or the front page of Kannzenshuu.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:31 am

I'm personally surprised that they are this far in development of the movie. I guess Toei is really taking this seriously.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 am

This movie is already looking far better than the entire Dragon Ball Super series, imo.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 am

I got off my ass an started catching back up with Pocket Monster: Sun & Moon today. Watching Episode #62 was an incredible blast because of Oohashi Aito's work as animation supervisor. We often talk about how the Nakano Satoshi and Yasuda Shuuhei designs are 'simpler' while forgetting to really hammer home that just because they're simpler it doesn't mean every drawing is lacking in detail. In fact, it's the simpler rules and lines for those designs that allow animators to go so gloriously off-model as was done in Episode #62. I really hope this is what Shintani Naohiro's designs will allow.

She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:47 am

Has anyone tried to draw MUI in the new artstyle? The form is Shiny AF so Super's artstyle was better for it probably.

IMO it wont look that good in the new artstyle.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:Some work of studio yapiko,it looks extremely good to me animation wise:
Whatever that was... I NEED more of it.

It's actually really good animation. It's making me more excited for all the talent being part of this new movie.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm excited for this thread! I really think this movie will look cool.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Can’t have a superb Dragonball Movie without the one and only Yuyu Takahashi right!? He IS recognised as the Nr. 1 animator currently. Natoshi Shida may be good - very good in fact. But Takahashi still remains at the top.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:25 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Can’t have a superb Dragonball Movie without the one and only Yuyu Takahashi right!? He IS recognised as the Nr. 1 animator currently. Natoshi Shida may be good - very good in fact. But Takahashi still remains at the top.
I'm sorry, but that's just your opinion. Takahashi is among my favourites as well, but there's a reason why they call him mini-Shida.
Get Fucked, C_unt

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:17 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Can’t have a superb Dragonball Movie without the one and only Yuyu Takahashi right!? He IS recognised as the Nr. 1 animator currently. Natoshi Shida may be good - very good in fact. But Takahashi still remains at the top.
As far as animation goes, Shida is superior.

I feel Takahashi being overrated due to his artstyle. I've seen nothing from him that's as supurb as Shida's animation. Shida's scene on 130, for example was better than anything Takahashi did on Super and he has been very conservative with his animation on the show. His BOG cuts were FAR superior to anything I've seen Takahashi put out on any of the shows he worked on.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Exline wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:Some work of studio yapiko,it looks extremely good to me animation wise:
Whatever that was... I NEED more of it.

It's actually really good animation. It's making me more excited for all the talent being part of this new movie.
I'm shocked a French company is helping out. Well, technically I guess they're not French since they're based in Japan but got started by French people...