"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Movie 20 - Animation Hub

Post by dnavenom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:
Firebolt wrote:So what non-Toei animators would you guys like to see work on this movie?

It would be a dream for me if Naoki Kobayashi worked on this movie. He made lots of absolutely fantastic fight scenes on Naruto/Boruto such as Kakashi vs Obito, Sakura vs Shin, and many, many more.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/43754
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/43896
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/7002
Naruto always felt like watching the ninja-asian version of South park :) Why would anyone want this instead of Shida/Takahashi`s DBS? No insult but DB is far better than Naruto or One piece will ever be. More liked also. I don`t remember people chanting Naruto on city squares :) There are only 3 things that get people on the streets chanting: The pope, Football and DBS lately.

When you have a tight schedule, you can doubt what path to choose: better movements, FLUIDITY (hate this word already) or more shading and generally better character art, keyshots and so on. But with a movie that has all the time they want, there is no point to compromise. You can have both! DB movies always had a good quality, I`m pretty sure they`ll tackle it again. Stop comparing DB to Naruto and One piece. OPM, FMA, Bleach even, I can understand. But these 2 are not anime. They are like Pokemon or Chichan (I liked this one)...

Honestly I see no need for DBS`s animation style to change. Just when we got on the right track with Super in TOP. There is so much anime in the world and DB is unique among them. Why change the most loved anime of all time? Someone should make a pole about what style of animation, we, the fans want and settle this once and for all.
One Piece is the biggest anime and manga in Japan. Naruto is around as known as DB is. Saying they aren't anime makes you sound stupid. And no need for a pole. If you look around there is only praise for the new style with a small minority disliking it. Stop hyping up DB. Pokemon is possibly more popular and loved. DB can't compare to the amount of praise anime movies like Your Name or Spirited Away got. DB is big but it isn't different than any other anime in some regards. Just wait and see. The fluidity of this movie from its character acting to its fights will blow anything db has ever made out of the water.
You are living in a dreamland. Obviously I`m not talking about Japan only. Worldwide no other anime is bigger than DB, that`s pretty clear I guess. If you live in Japan that`s another matter, but I doubt it. I see 5 anime-experts-wanabes-one-piece-lovin-fanboys, hyping Tate and One piece all day, everywhere, in all possible ways. Starting to think someone is paying you guys, if you are so fond of ugly picture moving with 60FPS, there`s Boruto for you.
And since when is DB comparing with Ghibi? These guys make one movie in 5 years, sure it`s gonna be perfect. Besides their story fits this style of animation, you don`t imagine Ghibi making DB I hope or you are more delusional than I thought.
It`s obvious you guys were born somewhere between 1995-2005, after DBZ stopped airing and you are used to things like Naruto and Onepiece, probably some Bleach and FMA. DB fans are usually older people. You saw the Latinos watching in public, most were 25-40. They don`t stay in forums or social media all day talking about FLUIDITY and...But when the movie comes and we don`t get what we know and love. You`ll see DBGT and Resurrection of F all over again. If they are really planing to show this movie worldwide, than it should look like Dragon ball or their revenue might plunge a bit.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 am

It depends on what you define as biggest, if it's TV ratings for an anime then neither DB or OP are the biggest, if it's money made then DB is much bigger than OP.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:23 pm

dnavenom wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:
Naruto always felt like watching the ninja-asian version of South park :) Why would anyone want this instead of Shida/Takahashi`s DBS? No insult but DB is far better than Naruto or One piece will ever be. More liked also. I don`t remember people chanting Naruto on city squares :) There are only 3 things that get people on the streets chanting: The pope, Football and DBS lately.

When you have a tight schedule, you can doubt what path to choose: better movements, FLUIDITY (hate this word already) or more shading and generally better character art, keyshots and so on. But with a movie that has all the time they want, there is no point to compromise. You can have both! DB movies always had a good quality, I`m pretty sure they`ll tackle it again. Stop comparing DB to Naruto and One piece. OPM, FMA, Bleach even, I can understand. But these 2 are not anime. They are like Pokemon or Chichan (I liked this one)...

Honestly I see no need for DBS`s animation style to change. Just when we got on the right track with Super in TOP. There is so much anime in the world and DB is unique among them. Why change the most loved anime of all time? Someone should make a pole about what style of animation, we, the fans want and settle this once and for all.
One Piece is the biggest anime and manga in Japan. Naruto is around as known as DB is. Saying they aren't anime makes you sound stupid. And no need for a pole. If you look around there is only praise for the new style with a small minority disliking it. Stop hyping up DB. Pokemon is possibly more popular and loved. DB can't compare to the amount of praise anime movies like Your Name or Spirited Away got. DB is big but it isn't different than any other anime in some regards. Just wait and see. The fluidity of this movie from its character acting to its fights will blow anything db has ever made out of the water.
You are living in a dreamland. Obviously I`m not talking about Japan only. Worldwide no other anime is bigger than DB, that`s pretty clear I guess. If you live in Japan that`s another matter, but I doubt it. I see 5 anime-experts-wanabes-one-piece-lovin-fanboys, hyping Tate and One piece all day, everywhere, in all possible ways. Starting to think someone is paying you guys, if you are so fond of ugly picture moving with 60FPS, there`s Boruto for you.
And since when is DB comparing with Ghibi? These guys make one movie in 5 years, sure it`s gonna be perfect. Besides their story fits this style of animation, you don`t imagine Ghibi making DB I hope or you are more delusional than I thought.
It`s obvious you guys were born somewhere between 1995-2005, after DBZ stopped airing and you are used to things like Naruto and Onepiece, probably some Bleach and FMA. DB fans are usually older people. You saw the Latinos watching in public, most were 25-40. They don`t stay in forums or social media all day talking about FLUIDITY and...But when the movie comes and we don`t get what we know and love. You`ll see DBGT and Resurrection of F all over again. If they are really planing to show this movie worldwide, than it should look like Dragon ball or their revenue might plunge a bit.
For the record, i dont even watch One Piece. I've at most seen 90 episodes. And if know that you dont lime the style but dont group the whole fandom. Loads of people aren’t afraid of change and are embracing the style. There are very few people who are actually hating on the style.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

dnavenom
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dnavenom » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:02 pm

I`ve watched the first 20 episodes of OP back in the 90s when it started. It was enjoyable, but it`s too far from what anime is for me. Naruto, Pokemon, Yu-Gi OH, Bakugan are closer to cartoons than anything else. Naruto was so different from a normal anime, that you really have to develop a taste for it. I never did and this is a case, when the art style pushes a viewer away from the story. Same happened to Bleach. Bot were animes I wanted to watch, but were visually too foreign, compared to late DBZ.

As much as I hate Yamamuro`s highlights, rounded linework and the shading he added to the black hair, the style he developed for DBZ back in the day, was recognizable immediately. It`s not so easy to do that. It`s really important to make the viewer say "Wow that`s OP or DBZ just from the first look". With the amount of anime out there, that`s absurdly hard. This is the reason why people are exploring different ideas and different styles of art, but only few will succeed ofc. If they change dragon ball too much. That will be a huge gamble. On one hand you can get some new audience that grew up with animes like OP and Naruto (10-20 years old now), on the other you can loose some of the hardcore DBZ fans, which I`m sure are much more that the new ones they`ll get.

I believe they`ll check the soil, meaning that the movie will probably be in that new style, just to see how people react to it. This will most likely be e a failure if they go worldwide premiere with it. If they feel like they have the money to make such a test, fine. But if there is a continuation of DBS as a series, it will most likely look like the end of TOP. I as a fan can swallow one bad movie, like I did with ROF, but a whole arc would probably be too much.

You guys should know back when I grew up (i`m 30+) the animes looked like the first Berserk, Ninja Scroll, Lodoss war, Escafloune, Bastard, Ghost in the shell, Afro Samurai even. Perfect lines and great shading were a must. That doesn`t mean 10 levels of shading, sometimes even 2-3 would do, but they had to be made well. I can`t say I cared much for the story, Japanese movies are famous for bad writing and shallow stories, but the visuals were so good, I didn`t care about anything else. Now I prefer a good story, backed with great visuals ofc.

I understand that the younger audience is used to another type of visuals, you were raised in another age. But there is enough anime for everyone. I don`t like Naruto, so I don`t watch it. Sure I wanted it to look like DBZ, so I can learn more about Chakra and karate/jitsu or whatever, but it doesn`t. If you don`t like DB just do the same.

With all that said, DB needs to change and it did change a lot in the last year. TOP is visually what I want to see from DB, excluding the absurd auras that hide the linework. Less CG, less invasive effects would only benefit the product. They would do better to fix the story, power level consistency, the continuity and add some brain to Goku, he is 50, acting like 10. Animation style is the last thing they want to change, after what they showed in 130/131.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:07 pm

dnavenom wrote:I`ve watched the first 20 episodes of OP back in the 90s when it started. It was enjoyable, but it`s too far from what anime is for me. Naruto, Pokemon, Yu-Gi OH, Bakugan are closer to cartoons than anything else. Naruto was so different from a normal anime, that you really have to develop a taste for it. I never did and this is a case, when the art style pushes a viewer away from the story. Same happened to Bleach. Bot were animes I wanted to watch, but were visually too foreign, compared to late DBZ.

As much as I hate Yamamuro`s highlights, rounded linework and the shading he added to the black hair, the style he developed for DBZ back in the day, was recognizable immediately. It`s not so easy to do that. It`s really important to make the viewer say "Wow that`s OP or DBZ just from the first look". With the amount of anime out there, that`s absurdly hard. This is the reason why people are exploring different ideas and different styles of art, but only few will succeed ofc. If they change dragon ball too much. That will be a huge gamble. On one hand you can get some new audience that grew up with animes like OP and Naruto (10-20 years old now), on the other you can loose some of the hardcore DBZ fans, which I`m sure are much more that the new ones they`ll get.

I believe they`ll check the soil, meaning that the movie will probably be in that new style, just to see how people react to it. This will most likely be e a failure if they go worldwide premiere with it. If they feel like they have the money to make such a test, fine. But if there is a continuation of DBS as a series, it will most likely look like the end of TOP. I as a fan can swallow one bad movie, like I did with ROF, but a whole arc would probably be too much.

You guys should know back when I grew up (i`m 30+) the animes looked like the first Berserk, Ninja Scroll, Lodoss war, Escafloune, Bastard, Ghost in the shell, Afro Samurai even. Perfect lines and great shading were a must. That doesn`t mean 10 levels of shading, sometimes even 2-3 would do, but they had to be made well. I can`t say I cared much for the story, Japanese movies are famous for bad writing and shallow stories, but the visuals were so good, I didn`t care about anything else. Now I prefer a good story, backed with great visuals ofc.

I understand that the younger audience is used to another type of visuals, you were raised in another age. But there is enough anime for everyone. I don`t like Naruto, so I don`t watch it. Sure I wanted it to look like DBZ, so I can learn more about Chakra and karate/jitsu or whatever, but it doesn`t. If you don`t like DB just do the same.

With all that said, DB needs to change and it did change a lot in the last year. TOP is visually what I want to see from DB, excluding the absurd auras that hide the linework. Less CG, less invasive effects would only benefit the product. They would do better to fix the story, power level consistency, the continuity and add some brain to Goku, he is 50, acting like 10. Animation style is the last thing they want to change, after what they showed in 130/131.
Its funny that you say Naruto is so different from other anime when in reality, its more like anime than Dragon Ball. Also, i think you’re getting your hopes up for it being temporary. They said that they worked on the new style for about a year and Shida said this is the only chance they’ll have to revamp the style of Dragon ball (or something like that). They wouldn’t just throw away a style they worked hard to perfect. And you shouldn’t assume that hardcore DBZ fans wont like the style. As I’ve been saying, only a minority have complained about the style with most accepting it. And even people who dont like the style would be open minded enough to try it out. Or at the very least, they’ll watch for the story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:34 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: One Piece is the biggest anime and manga in Japan. Naruto is around as known as DB is. Saying they aren't anime makes you sound stupid. And no need for a pole. If you look around there is only praise for the new style with a small minority disliking it. Stop hyping up DB. Pokemon is possibly more popular and loved. DB can't compare to the amount of praise anime movies like Your Name or Spirited Away got. DB is big but it isn't different than any other anime in some regards. Just wait and see. The fluidity of this movie from its character acting to its fights will blow anything db has ever made out of the water.
For the record, i dont even watch One Piece. I've at most seen 90 episodes. And if know that you dont lime the style but dont group the whole fandom. Loads of people aren’t afraid of change and are embracing the style. There are very few people who are actually hating on the style.
Nobody is arguing with you about that because you are right, but saying OP is the biggest anime is something you are really wrong. Maybe it makes more money un Japan but there isn't a big difference with OP, and if you have to choose between an anime that makes much money un Japan and another one that makes a little less in Japan but a looot in the rest of the world, I think I'd know your answer. If you are going to compare 2 animes, please try to be the most objective as possible, although I know that many OP fans won't even admit that DB is bigger but ok, there are many documents that can prove that.
(Also, what happened here in Latam with DB is something I have never seen before, they don't even do that for football matches so you can see how important is DB here. Oh and something else, OP is something that barely exists here)

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:
Nobody is arguing with you about that because you are right, but saying OP is the biggest anime is something you are really wrong. Maybe it makes more money un Japan but there isn't a big difference with OP, and if you have to choose between an anime that makes much money un Japan and another one that makes a little less in Japan but a looot in the rest of the world, I think I'd know your answer. If you are going to compare 2 animes, please try to be the most objective as possible, although I know that many OP fans won't even admit that DB is bigger but ok, there are many documents that can prove that.
(Also, what happened here in Latam with DB is something I have never seen before, they don't even do that for football matches so you can see how important is DB here. Oh and something else, OP is something that barely exists here)
Did you read what i said? I said One Piece is the biggest manga and anime IN JAPAN.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:46 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:I`ve watched the first 20 episodes of OP back in the 90s when it started. It was enjoyable, but it`s too far from what anime is for me. Naruto, Pokemon, Yu-Gi OH, Bakugan are closer to cartoons than anything else. Naruto was so different from a normal anime, that you really have to develop a taste for it. I never did and this is a case, when the art style pushes a viewer away from the story. Same happened to Bleach. Bot were animes I wanted to watch, but were visually too foreign, compared to late DBZ.

Its funny that you say Naruto is so different from other anime when in reality, its more like anime than Dragon Ball. Also, i think you’re getting your hopes up for it being temporary. They said that they worked on the new style for about a year and Shida said this is the only chance they’ll have to revamp the style of Dragon ball (or something like that). They wouldn’t just throw away a style they worked hard to perfect. And you shouldn’t assume that hardcore DBZ fans wont like the style. As I’ve been saying, only a minority have complained about the style with most accepting it. And even people who dont like the style would be open minded enough to try it out. Or at the very least, they’ll watch for the story.
I do like the new style but they also need to focus on making the story they trying to tell to make sense. That is all I want from them. A good story and it looks good.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 am

I really hope it's got a good, fun story to tell, this movie.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:57 am

dnavenom wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
dnavenom wrote:

It's funny tho, because DB is for everyone. Both old, and new fans. Shintani's design reminds us early-Z and the manga while also carrying the modern taste.
DB is for every generation, I don't care about those Z hardcore fans from the 90s. This is Dragon Ball, Yamammuro himself is NOT the one who made Dragon Ball, neither is Shintani. A change is always something different, it's like going out of your comfort zone. I'm glad that DB is focusing itself to the newer stuff, both old staff and the older people should just embrace it. It is the new era afterall. Yamammuro itself is already a big change, the truest DB is the OG DB. Maeda, Nakatsuru, Yamamuro, Shintani, all of them are just parts of it's history.

Dragon Ball has already attracted young people, not only young people, but also animation nerds and experts also joins the bandwagon. A new nostalgia is being made, a new generation.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Gashif Aldi wrote:
dnavenom wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: One Piece is the biggest anime and manga in Japan. Naruto is around as known as DB is. Saying they aren't anime makes you sound stupid. And no need for a pole. If you look around there is only praise for the new style with a small minority disliking it. Stop hyping up DB. Pokemon is possibly more popular and loved. DB can't compare to the amount of praise anime movies like Your Name or Spirited Away got. DB is big but it isn't different than any other anime in some regards. Just wait and see. The fluidity of this movie from its character acting to its fights will blow anything db has ever made out of the water.
It's funny tho, because DB is for everyone. Both old, and new fans. Shintani's design reminds us early-Z and the manga while also carrying the modern taste.
DB is for every generation, I don't care about those Z hardcore fans from the 90s. This is Dragon Ball, Yamammuro himself is NOT the one who made Dragon Ball, neither is Shintani. A change is always something different, it's like going out of your comfort zone. I'm glad that DB is focusing itself to the newer stuff, both old staff and the older people should just embrace it. It is the new era afterall. Yamammuro itself is already a big change, the truest DB is the OG DB. Maeda, Nakatsuru, Yamamuro, Shintani, all of them are just parts of it's history.

Dragon Ball has already attracted young people, not only young people, but also animation nerds and experts also joins the bandwagon. A new nostalgia is being made, a new generation.
I love that more people are becoming fans thanks to the new style. I want everyone to become fans of Dragon Ball and if you don't then that is fine. I love seeing people being happy about what they enjoy.
Majinwarman

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Firebolt wrote:So what non-Toei animators would you guys like to see work on this movie?

It would be a dream for me if Naoki Kobayashi worked on this movie. He made lots of absolutely fantastic fight scenes on Naruto/Boruto such as Kakashi vs Obito, Sakura vs Shin, and many, many more.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/43754
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/43896
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/7002
I think he would perfectly the new designs, and she is normally great in terms of choreography, so I would say yes to that recruitment (well, if it turns out that Naruto is not an anime anymore, then I retire every single word here).

I would also like to see some more experimental animators as Shinya Ohira (he did a couple of great cuts for Garo, so I think he is not closed to action fantasy) or Hashimoto Shinji. If the teaser is already raising hackles among a certain groups of fans, I can't imagine what a stir their work would cause.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:40 am

Akuma Johnson wrote:This movie has the potential to be the best Dragon Ball movie. Period.
There isn't much competition none of the previous movies were particularly compelling

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:08 am

PFM18 wrote:
Akuma Johnson wrote:This movie has the potential to be the best Dragon Ball movie. Period.
There isn't much competition none of the previous movies were particularly compelling
Battle of Gods was a great movie!
Majinwarman

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Since we are having new character designs, it would be cool if they did what Bandai did with DB FighterZ and every month in V-Jump they reveal at least one new character.
It doesn't spoil anything and It's a good way to keep the hype going.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:12 pm

majinwarman wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
In animation? Only a few scenes were good.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:14 pm

Amir wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
PFM18 wrote: There isn't much competition none of the previous movies were particularly compelling
I see many people criticizing the animation of the BoG and FNF films, but I don't understand why.

Could someone with knowledge on the subject explain?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Amir wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
PFM18 wrote: There isn't much competition none of the previous movies were particularly compelling
I was talking about overall.
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Amir wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Battle of Gods was a great movie!
I see many people criticizing the animation of the BoG and FNF films, but I don't understand why.

People don't like the overall look of the movie due to Yamamuro current designs which I agree with. The movie may have looked on model but the overall designs were not great.
Majinwarman

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Amir wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Battle of Gods was a great movie!

The main reason was they looked exceedingly mediocre, especially in comparison to other Toei produced films, like for example the last 3 One Piece films.

Considering the talent thats usually on board the recent DB films, none of the animators were really able to produce their best work, espicially in comparison to the work they produced from the previously mentioned One Piece films, which are better than the last 2 DB films in order of magnitude.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:52 am

In BOG, the frame rate was extremely low, the movements were limited as hell and extremely basic, mostly close ups too and barely any complexity in the movements. Because of the designs, the low FPS and the limited frames, it resulted in choppy looking movements and the total opposite of smooth and fluid, the fight scene when SSJ Goku was trying to hit Beerus in space is the best example: No smeers, exaggeration or snappiness to the movements, bad timing, limited frames and low frame rate. It was so bland.
There was a scene later when Goku turns around to look for Beerus, which was even more awful.
Not to mention the awful CG scenes. What a stupid decision to make Goku and Beerus 3D models.

The only scenes that looked good were:
Beerus charging at SSJ God Goku, choking him and kicking him to the trees.

Shida's cut.

Beerus and SSJ God Goku fighting underground briefly