Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Episode 131 (25 March 2018)

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:15 pm

TheMikado wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Exactly, I just don’t understand what they were going for. It feels like they keep shifting direction on characters and it makes this bizzare uneven tone shift. It’s why I don’t think it’s the original ending because none of the build up leads to this conclusion.

Like I said they could have easily just had Zeno enjoy it so much that he brings the universes back for the sole purpose of more tournaments and his own entertainment and it would have fit. Better yet they could have had 17 actually wish for his boat and Zeno bring back the universes anyway.

To give my two cents on the matter (thought it won't change anyone's opinion), the way i see it is that this does not make Zeno good or change the way his written. The thing about this guy is that he's freaking chaotic and you can never know what's up with him, that's why the gods fear him so much. He can erase you for "doing bad your job" even when for the most part he doesn't usually show any care , he can also erase you over something silly or if he just doesn't like you.

Like seriously, the only reason everyone's alive now it's because of that wish that 17 made; had it been Freeza, Jiren or Ribrianne and everyone would have been screwed.

Just Imagine it, U7 wins and Lapis wishes for a boat like he intended to do and boom Zeno destroys them all just right when they were relieved cause danger was over.Without any kind of warning.

This little shit is a wild card , that's why it's better not To mess with him, hell i remember back then on #55 when he almost erases a guard when the poor guy was just doing his job when he didn't do the same with the gods that weren't doing shit.

Oh well, that's the way i see it.
I agree with the wildcard part so I wouldn’t be surprised if he spared the universes or brought them back for selfish reasons. Him making an elaborate plot to test them with the tournament doesn’t fit the kind of Zeno we are introduced to. The issue isn’t that he wants them back it’s that he’s suddenly this sudden wise mature and thoughtful entity who foresaw this outcome rather than the chaotic entity we were introduced to and saw.
Oh, now i get you.

Thought I kinda think that the Grand Priest made him look much more wise than what he actually is.

I can see Zeno taking this decisions but on a childish manner. Kinda like this:

Zeno 1: I have an idea we'll tell them that if they lose they go boom so they take things seriously.
Zeno 2: But what if they think we're baffling?
Zeno 1: We'll kill them for real so they see that we're not bullshitting.
Zeno 2: But that will leave us with less toys to play with.
Zeno 1: Don't worry the winner of the super DBs will wish them all back to life anyway.
Zeno 2: But what if a selfish douchbag wins and wishes for something different?
Zeno 1: then we'll destroy his reality for being a dumbass and move on to play with the actually good/ high tier universes
Zeno 2: That's a clever idea.

Grand Priest: You're really wise lord Zeno.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:24 pm

I'm surprised they never did a pinocchio joke about 17... Or did I miss it?! He never wished to be a real boy... Not even a snide joke by someone.I was going to say krillin but that wouldn't' work now without repercussions from his wife. Although they could still do it. Or atleast a reference to when he might have needed to ask for that.

They also could have had freeza win and return the univreses by having freeza wish for power beyond zeno and then spank him half to death and then revive the universes with his power just so he could use their people as a multi universal army to either control the existing universes or to take one something potentially greater and take his evil empire even further.

I wonder what the movie will have in it.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:52 pm

TheMikado wrote:
bleed0range wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Even after watching it makes less sense because of the context of everything else in the universe.

Where was Zeno and him caring about he universe during Buus rampage, or Beerus sleeping why Frieza ruled the universe and and slaughtered mortals?
Where was he when Zamasu was hopping though universe and timelines killing mortals and kaioshin and GoDs?
How about when he erased Trunks timeline or the 6 universes?

If Zeno cares so much to concoct this whole ToP he hasn’t acted like it. That’s the point. It’s from complete left field given the context of the entire franchise.

It makes me so mad because it feels like the writers are treating us like we are stupid and won’t remember any of he build up or events leading to this point. It makes me mad because the ending feels insulting.

The major problem with this is that they could have just said Zeno has decided to bring all the universes back so that we can have a tournament again in the future and I would have bought it. He’s a child so him changing his mind would make sense when his reason to erase them was so dumb in the first place.

They didn’t need this elaborate good guy Zeno that doesn’t fit with his previous characterization.
The universe is very huge and those were very localized threats to someone like Zeno. They don’t seem to literally watch every little thing... but perhaps Zamasu’s interference gave the Zeno pause about not only the mortals but the Gods of their universe and they wanted to prove they were and would be righteous in the end.
The point is Zeno is claiming to care about their development but none of his previous actions reflect this. Even the ones on the multiverse level. Zeno didn’t care that Beerus hasn’t been doing his job for millions of years at a time.

He wasn’t involved enough to stop Zamasu before he ruined the multi universe but cared enough and wise and mature enough to make an elaborate tournament to test them or any of the other various occurrences. But still hands on enough to give Goku a button to call him whenever he wanted. Again the characterization is uneven and doesn’t fit in all the context. The man-child Zeno made sense right up until the last episode and I never complained about it beyond not personally liking him being a man-child but that was personal preference not a critique of actual writing consistency.
It seems like you missed a key point in Zeno's development -- his relationship with Goku. Before the U6 vs. U7 tournament, Goku had not met Zeno. It was not until after the Future Trunks arc ended that Zeno and Future Zeno got to meet.

Zeno was ruthless and cruel before he met Goku. He would not have cared about multiversal, or universal threats.

Once Zeno had someone to play with, who understood the interworkings of his mind better than anyone else i.e. himself, he became more caring and compassionate.

It was Goku's influence that did this. That's why the Tournament Of Power was a big test. Goku influenced the good in Zeno, just like he has with tons of people. It is an inherent component to who he is. This trope is common to Dragon Ball.

This is not a problem with Dragon Ball Super or the writing of the staff. This is consistent.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Oracle wrote:After Andriod 18 commented on how Andriod 17 changed his mind with the wish, make me miss Boo even more. In general, I hate that we do not have him in the tournament, and he would be perfect to replace her.
So Buu should have replaced 18 just because she loves her brother a lot? I get it that what 18 said was stupid and selfish, but it's not like she was against his decision, she was just sad over her brother not getting the wish that he initially wanted. It's not like 18 was the only selfish person there. Krillin, and many other characters were surprised a lot when they heard 17's wish and not in a positive way. Not to mention many of the characters didn't even think about reviving the other universes, except for Vegeta, but he only wanted to revive Universe 6 and Universe 6 only.

Also, without 18 Universe 7 would have lost the tournament. She saved 17 who later on won the tournament.
Last edited by TheDipDap1234 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Arugela wrote:I wonder why they made it look like buu was going to be in then changed it?
They probably had Buu be switch out by Freeza since day one. They wanted to surprise everyone when it happen.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

KidGoku>3
Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:19 pm

One of the most disappointing ending. It all felt so rushed, kinda wish ep 130 would have been the finale tbh. 129,130 were exciting... 131 not so much.

So sick of them reversing Vegeta to the same old '' I will surpass you'' speech. Geez enough already. I want some more out of their bond besides the same boring lines being repeated for ages now. I thought they went in a great direction last few episodes but alas they changed it up again.

So the greatest transformations of all time was... Accidentally? wtf. So when Whis acknowledged that Goku masteren UI was what? Stupid line again. I know why they chose to go in that direction I just hope this wasnt the end for UI Goku. That would be disappointing.

The only good part of this episode was that DB will be back. I thought this was the end of DB as a series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:28 pm

I was hoping that they would have Freeza replace Sidra as a GoD in Universe 9. He could make that Universe in better shape if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 pm

Although I'm still quite fond of the finale, I forgot to mention that I'm also a bit disappointed in the fact that the tournament's time limit wasn't implemented into the plot in any significant way. If they weren't going to do anything with it at the end, they really should have kept the time limit at an ambiguous "100 taks" instead of additionally translating that to "48 Earth minutes" so we wouldn't have to suspend our disbelief. Alternatively, they could have dropped such a rule altogether.

I think that would have benefited the story more than harming it, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:Although I'm still quite fond of the finale, I forgot to mention that I'm also a bit disappointed in the fact that the tournament's time limit wasn't implemented into the plot in any significant way. If they weren't going to do anything with it at the end, they really should have kept the time limit at an ambiguous "100 taks" instead of additionally translating that to "48 Earth minutes" so we wouldn't have to suspend our disbelief. Alternatively, they could have dropped a rule like that altogether.

I think that would have benefited the story way more than harming it, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.
Or just don't have a time limit at all seeing as it didn't factor into the plot at all (well a little bit if you count those who had ideas to stall out the timer but none of those plans worked anyway). Could have easily just said it's last man standing. The time remaining ruins so many things about the Tournament of Power and the fact it didn't really matter is ridiculous and the worst of bad writing. Because of the time limit, we're supposed to believe that within seconds Goku was constantly regaining and losing all his stamina (same with Vegeta). That Goku gained two new forms, that character speeches actually weren't taking 5 minutes or so but mere seconds. Just completely dumb.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:55 pm

TheDipDap1234 wrote:
Oracle wrote:After Andriod 18 commented on how Andriod 17 changed his mind with the wish, make me miss Boo even more. In general, I hate that we do not have him in the tournament, and he would be perfect to replace her.
So Buu should have replaced 18 just because she loves her brother a lot? I get it that what 18 said was stupid and selfish, but it's not like she was against his decision, she was just sad over her brother not getting the wish that he initially wanted. It's not like 18 was the only selfish person there. Krillin, and many other characters were surprised a lot when they heard 17's wish and not in a positive way. Not to mention many of the characters didn't even think about reviving the other universes, except for Vegeta, but he only wanted to revive Universe 6 and Universe 6 only.

Also, without 18 Universe 7 would have lost the tournament. She saved 17 who later on won the tournament.
Yes, her line was stupid and selfish. I said that in general I hated not having Boo in the tournament, and since the beginning of this arc I thought that the participation of two android was too much.
At least Boo could have healed U7 members and many people could have stopped complaining about stamina problems related to Goku.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:07 pm

KidGoku>3 wrote:One of the most disappointing ending. It all felt so rushed, kinda wish ep 130 would have been the finale tbh. 129,130 were exciting... 131 not so much.

So sick of them reversing Vegeta to the same old '' I will surpass you'' speech. Geez enough already. I want some more out of their bond besides the same boring lines being repeated for ages now. I thought they went in a great direction last few episodes but alas they changed it up again.

So the greatest transformations of all time was... Accidentally? wtf. So when Whis acknowledged that Goku masteren UI was what? Stupid line again. I know why they chose to go in that direction I just hope this wasnt the end for UI Goku. That would be disappointing.

The only good part of this episode was that DB will be back. I thought this was the end of DB as a series.
Why would you want episode 130 as the finale? That means it would have been even more rushed because they would have to cram the events of 130 and 131 into one episode. Also, you must not have read the subtitles right because Vegeta didn’t say he would surpass Goku. He said he wouldn’t let Goku surpass him because he has his Blue evolution form so he’s stronger than Goku as of now. Also, it was obvious that Goku got UI accidentally. Of course he didn’t know what he was doing. And he Mastered the technique of UI by being able to attack and defend. He didn’t master the transformation which means he can’t activate it like he can with Super Saiyan which is good because it wouldn’t make sense for him to have such an OP form at his disposal whenever he wants after less than 48 minutes of using it accidentally.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

lunatikprincess

Post by lunatikprincess » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:42 pm

I wouldn't say I have been the biggest fan of Super and I have only posted in this forum like once. I haven't watched all of the episodes but enough to understand the plot for the last two arcs and I've been mostly disappointed with Super (I dropped it when ToP began and only came back when I saw they brought back Freeza).

That being said, I really enjoyed this episode. I actually liked Jiren this episode despite not caring much for him in all the episodes. I loved the Freeza/17 and Freeza/Goku team-up. I was also surprised who they were able to wrap it all up and not having it feel too rushed.

My only main gripe for this episode was what #18 said to #17 about if he was sure about his wish. I mean I really dumb down my intelligence for this show, but even that had my eyes rolling.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I was hoping that they would have Freeza replace Sidra as a GoD in Universe 9. He could make that Universe in better shape if you ask me.
Interesting idea, that could be a better role for Freeza instead of him insisting to conquer U7 with people like Goku, Vegeta and Beerus who can cause trouble for him anytime.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:54 pm

:arrow:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I was hoping that they would have Freeza replace Sidra as a GoD in Universe 9. He could make that Universe in better shape if you ask me.
Interesting idea, that could be a better role for Freeza instead of him insisting to conquer U7 with people like Goku, Vegeta and Beerus who can cause trouble for him anytime.
Plus U9 is pretty much holding a grudge against Goku so it would be easy to create a strong army.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:02 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Nah, Freeza would just try and conquer the universe for himself anyway. He would make it more ordered (Freeza does like things running smoothly), but he would still try and rule it with an iron fist.

Gods of Destruction are not supposed to be rules.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Crowd reacting to the last episode of Dragon Ball Super, in Macapá (Brazil)

I think that was the biggest I ever seen, the episode starts at 4:33
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 pm

I wonder how Freeza got back into space from Capsule corp on Earth. Beerus/Whis teleport him there?

Thank god Freeza didn't stay on Earth. If we saw Freeza in the montage playing with Bra like the others I would have had a mental breakdown.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:20 pm

precita wrote:I wonder how Freeza got back into space from Capsule corp on Earth. Beerus/Whis teleport him there?

Thank god Freeza didn't stay on Earth. If we saw Freeza in the montage playing with Bra like the others I would have had a mental breakdown.
Haha same. Frieza can breathe in space right I'm sure he could just fly there pretty easily. Wierd he was in final form using the hover chair.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:00 am

Comments on this episode:

- I still don't get why the entire arena is smashed into pieces but the pillar is undamaged. Is it made of some kind of even stronger material than katchi katchin?
- So Jiren has really lost so much power now that Freeza and 17 can keep up with him?
- "Once shattered strength is so fragile" - speaking from personal experience there, Freeza?
- I actually liked Toppo's little pep talk there
- What did Goku just do? Did he stop Jiren's attack? How could he have done that in base form while injured when Golden Freeza and 17 could barely hang on? Man, even in the last episode they still have powerscaling issues
- Why did that look like Hit's time skip dimension right there before Jiren's attack shattered? I wonder if conspiracy theorists will try to use this as evidence that Hit is still in the arena, lol.
- I love Vegeta's expression seeing Freeza and Goku fighting alongside one another. The scene overall is just great too.
- The pillar is getting damaged there, but it seems to be taking less damage than the other parts of the arena would...
- The fastball special? Could it be? Yes!
- Also interesting how you have SSJ1 Goku and Freeza using Nova Strike (at least I think that's what the games called it) together when on Namek they were using those moves against each other in the final part of their battle
- I doubt anyone would have predicted that 17 would be the overall winner of the ToP
- So where did the Super Dragonballs come from? Were they there the whole time and hidden or did Daishinkan teleport them in or something?
- Funny how the official Crunchyroll sub still uses "pretty peas" while the Funimation dub is using "peas and carrots"
- So we don't get the huge sequence of Super Shenron being summoned, I guess that makes sense to save time and animation, although he looks a lot smaller than he did before...
- Why is Krillin so surprised?
- When he says 'all of the universes that were erased' I wonder if that includes universes 13-18 or the future timeline...
- So they all get transported back to their home universes even if they were in the stands when they were erased? Well I guess since the stands are so much smaller now they'd all be squished together (which would be funny) or would appear floating in space around the arena otherwise
- What is this thing that they're all watching from their universes? Is that the light from Super Shenron or something? What are all of those stars?
- Honestly if I were 17 the thing I would be most worried about with that wish would be that the Zenos would get annoyed and then just erase all of them all over again. They did say that they wanted there to be fewer universes and that was the point of this tournament.
- That's yet another new power for Whis and his Swiss Army Staff. Is there anything that thing can't do? Also, by it being a gift from Beerus, does he mean that Beerus authorized Whis to do it, or it was actually Beerus' power that somehow did it?
- So the two Zenos were just trolling everyone this whole time, basically - erasing the universes for no reason just to see if someone would wish them back, and if they didn't they would have erased all of the others too, again for no reason. Those guys are jerks.
- It was funny when Beerus stopped Goku from giving Zeno any more ideas
- So Goten, Trunks, and Marron caught some poachers offscreen, and we didn't even get to see it happen, not even a single clip in an episode, even though they wasted so many episodes in the ToP arc...
- Bura? Is that the official romanization of her name? They'll have to edit that in the dub version
- I figured 17 could take his family on Bulma's ship. But now who's guarding the island? Trunks, Goten, and Marron are with the others.
- Is that Tights there?
- I'm guessing Vegeta is mad that Pan can fly before Trunks could
- I wonder how Freeza got his minions, spaceship, and hoverchair back...
- If Goku can't use Ultra Instinct and Vegeta can't use SSJGSSJE anymore, I'm guessing they'll tap into them again during the movie. Good story choice since it will make it more tense.
- I also like how the area they're fighting in resembles the area from their first fight back in the Saiyan Saga

Decent closing episode, and the series overall is better than GT IMO
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Husig

Post by Husig » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 am

Great final episode. But my favorites are still 110, 116, 129, 130. Overall i enjoyed super a lot, and second half of TOP arc is the best, imho it was better than namek saga.