Which did it better, GT or Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:55 am

Gt has better concepts (Except for Super 17 and the Black Star Dragon Ball arcs), but Super takes its sorta bland concepts and makes it work well.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:00 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:Gt has better concepts (Except for Super 17 and the Black Star Dragon Ball arcs), but Super takes its sorta bland concepts and makes it work well.
Better ideas except for 2 of the 4 main arcs? I don't think that the Baby arc is any better than the Zamasu arc's idea and the ToP is as good or better than the Shadow Dragons IMO

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:09 am

PFM18 wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:Gt has better concepts (Except for Super 17 and the Black Star Dragon Ball arcs), but Super takes its sorta bland concepts and makes it work well.
Better ideas except for 2 of the 4 main arcs? I don't think that the Baby arc is any better than the Zamasu arc's idea and the ToP is as good or better than the Shadow Dragons IMO
I understand what you mean, but take a look at supers arcs at the most basic level of a concept and you start to see a difference. In super you have two movie retellings, two tournament arcs, and an evil goku arc. Look at Gt and you have a dragon ball hunt arc, an evil android arc, a vengeful Tsufuru-jin arc and a evil dragon arc. Which ones out of those sound more interesting to you?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I understand what you mean, but take a look at supers arcs at the most basic level of a concept and you start to see a difference. In super you have two movie retellings, two tournament arcs, and an evil goku arc. Look at Gt and you have a dragon ball hunt arc, an evil android arc, a vengeful Tsufuru-jin arc and a evil dragon arc. Which ones out of those sound more interesting to you?
I don't get why people instantly invalidate the first two arcs because they are retellings. Super should be evaluated in a vacuum they shouldn't simply be considered as retellings that isn't fair to the series. That doesn't inherently make it a worse idea either simply because it is a movie that is a retelling. And just calling the two arcs "tournament arcs" is oversimplifying it and what is even wrong with tournament arcs in the first place? The original DB had 3 tournament arcs and they were all really good. And "evil Goku arc" is a wildly inaccurate summary of the series. If you weren't biased you would refer to the Baby arc in an Analogous way as "an evil Vegeta arc" or you would keep your summary of the Baby arc and call the Zamasu arc "a corrupted Kaioshin" arc. To call one an evil goku arc and the other a vengeful Tsufuru arc isn't a fair comparison.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:21 am

PFM18 wrote: I don't get why people instantly invalidate the first two arcs because they are retellings. Super should be evaluated in a vacuum they shouldn't simply be considered as retellings that isn't fair to the series. That doesn't inherently make it a worse idea either simply because it is a movie that is a retelling. And just calling the two arcs "tournament arcs" is oversimplifying it and what is even wrong with tournament arcs in the first place? The original DB had 3 tournament arcs and they were all really good. And "evil Goku arc" is a wildly inaccurate summary of the series. If you weren't biased you would refer to the Baby arc in an Analogous way as "an evil Vegeta arc" or you would keep your summary of the Baby arc and call the Zamasu arc "a corrupted Kaioshin" arc. To call one an evil goku arc and the other a vengeful Tsufuru arc isn't a fair comparison.
Ok, let me put this another way. Super is Oh look its a god, lets fight him. Oh look its frieza, lets fight him. Oh look, there is another universe, lets fight them. Oh look, its goku, lets fight him. Oh look, more universes. Lets Fight them. And GT is, Oh look dragon balls, let go find them. Oh look, its another android, lets fight him. Oh look, its vegeta, lets fight him. Oh look, Dragons, Lets fight them. Is that any better?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:48 am

Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
PFM18 wrote: I don't get why people instantly invalidate the first two arcs because they are retellings. Super should be evaluated in a vacuum they shouldn't simply be considered as retellings that isn't fair to the series. That doesn't inherently make it a worse idea either simply because it is a movie that is a retelling. And just calling the two arcs "tournament arcs" is oversimplifying it and what is even wrong with tournament arcs in the first place? The original DB had 3 tournament arcs and they were all really good. And "evil Goku arc" is a wildly inaccurate summary of the series. If you weren't biased you would refer to the Baby arc in an Analogous way as "an evil Vegeta arc" or you would keep your summary of the Baby arc and call the Zamasu arc "a corrupted Kaioshin" arc. To call one an evil goku arc and the other a vengeful Tsufuru arc isn't a fair comparison.
Ok, let me put this another way. Super is Oh look its a god, lets fight him. Oh look its frieza, lets fight him. Oh look, there is another universe, lets fight them. Oh look, its goku, lets fight him. Oh look, more universes. Lets Fight them. And GT is, Oh look dragon balls, let go find them. Oh look, its another android, lets fight him. Oh look, its vegeta, lets fight him. Oh look, Dragons, Lets fight them. Is that any better?
I mean isn't that oversimplification a bit?

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:43 am

PFM18 wrote:
Kaiza_Toshiyuki wrote:
I mean isn't that oversimplification a bit?
Thats the point. Because you know that this is exactly what happened when the original ideas were pitched. Like ¨hey wouldn't it be cool to bring back frieza?¨ or ¨Ḧey, wouldn't it be cool to have the villain be related to the dragon balls in some way?¨ And if the original pitch doesn't sound interesting, it doesn't mean the resulting arc will be bad. Like if you were in charge of super and someone said we should make another tournament arc, without knowing about the ToP arc or Mui or anything that happened, would you accept that pitch?

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:47 am

OhHiRenan wrote:
Saturnine wrote:How did Vegeta supposedly regress in character in Super? I think he progressed a lot actually, caring about people 'n shit.
He regresses by, once again, obsessing over his rivalry with Goku despite coming to terms with it at the end of the Boo arc. He also showed he cared by the end of the original series. His characterization is derivative of a much better series with nowhere near as much poignancy.
Quoting my own post from above on the matter:
Saturnine wrote: I think they mean how Vegeta didn't accept Kakarot as his superior forever and become his second-class horn tooter like he was in GT. I have no idea why people consider this attractive, or are bothered by a competitive Vegeta. If Vegeta had no drive to surpass Kakarot, he'd never come as far as he has in Super. He'd probably not even approach SSj God level overall. I personally would find it a waste of the character. Vegeta's pride and ambition to be the absolute number 1 are some of his most enjoyable traits, he just doesn't work as someone's lapdog.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:10 pm

ricky84 wrote: He went out of his way to turn SSJ4 just to catch up to Goku. That doesn't sound like someone who mellowed out an moved on at all.
You cannot blame him for wondering how the gap between them became so big, but he was pretty mellow about it. When Goku mentioned he could turn SSJ4 at will, Vegeta remarked he was an unlikable bastard with a smile on his face.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 pm

I've notice over the last 2 years that GT fans/apologist are probably the most oversensitive and easily offend people in the fandom smh. Many of these same people are constantly making threads in the forum feeling the need to defend GT by bashing Super 24/7. It gets annoying really.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:34 am

ricky84 wrote:I've notice over the last 2 years that GT fans/apologist are probably the most oversensitive and easily offend people in the fandom smh. Many of these same people are constantly making threads in the forum feeling the need to defend GT by bashing Super 24/7. It gets annoying really.
It goes both ways. "Super fans/apologists are probably most oversensitive and easily offended people in the fandom, defending a show that they like by bashing GT 24/7". It's a rather pointless comment. From a GT fan's pov, they're defending the show from unwarranted hate by pointing out that a flawed sequel gets a pass by some despite sharing many of the same flaws. I personally don't think either is a good show but GT was more creative and didn't need to rely on as much fan-service.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Timetraveller wrote:
ricky84 wrote:I've notice over the last 2 years that GT fans/apologist are probably the most oversensitive and easily offend people in the fandom smh. Many of these same people are constantly making threads in the forum feeling the need to defend GT by bashing Super 24/7. It gets annoying really.
It goes both ways. "Super fans/apologists are probably most oversensitive and easily offended people in the fandom, defending a show that they like by bashing GT 24/7". It's a rather pointless comment. From a GT fan's pov, they're defending the show from unwarranted hate by pointing out that a flawed sequel gets a pass by some despite sharing many of the same flaws. I personally don't think either is a good show but GT was more creative and didn't need to rely on as much fan-service.
The difference is GT fans will take a perceived criticism like GT being "Goku Time" and try to find away to pass the buck to Super so that they can try to mitigate a GT shortcoming by twisting it into a criticism of Super. For better or worse, GT's perceived flaws have existed for over a decade before Super existed. Super has it's own flaws but I think a lot of it gets over embellished by GT fans trying to raise their preferred shows stock. A lot of the flack from Super seems to be more reactionary to defend GT, while GT's criticism came independently without a fan war.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:46 pm

There is no "difference". Super is not less hypocritically defended. And GT's criticism did not come independently. There were simply other motivations from fans to bash it.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Hey all, I feel like I have some stuff to add to the table. I'll compare the series' side by side with various points. I'll try to be as objective as I can but please bear in mind:

* I have originally watched GT right after Z as a child, I have a bit of nostalgia to it
* I have watched Super by 4-5 episodes a day when all of it already ended
* This is my opinon

Having said that I have rewatched GT a little time ago and judged it more objectively, I have also watched Super for about 4 times now with subbed and dubbed version for comparison. I will be happy to discuss my thoughts with you, maybe you'll make me see some stuff I missed.

Let's get going:

1) General plot and story flow:
GT:
I really enjoy the things writers made in GT and that is nearly flawless transition from one plot to another. With some examples comimg to my mind, even Z did not manage to do. Eg. The Black Star saga results in the gang meeting the Para Para Brothers -> this leads to the Luud Cult -> this leads to the audience meeting Dr. Myu -> which eventually results in showing us Baby was the one pulling the strings. I like it, this is inteligent writing and the way one thing comes of from another is really interesting and keeps me excited. GT is full of such things where the story not only builds upon itself but also builds upon the lore we knew and the old stories (Super Saiyan Legend, Tsufules, Dr. Gero...)
All of the GT arcs are a result of taking a previously existing premise, race, character, object and building upon it. This way GT rarely has an idea completely original and that's why many people call it un-creative but for me it's just not the case. It is just an another way of storytelling, which actually requires some THOUGHT and is creative in it's own way.
The running motive of GT - as everyone and their mother pointed out - is consequence and it shows. Saiyan destroyed the Tsufules? Too bad, a Tsuful will kick your butt even though you did absolutely nothing to deserve that. One whish too far? Oops. Elder Kai warned you. I like this aproach - GT is building on existing things that worked very well and gives a creative twist to everything.

On the other hand the beginning does not hold well... Scenes of Goku's and Uub _typical_ training and the premise that using the black star DB may cause blowing up the Earth (I mean what the fuck).

Super:
Super builds itself upon creating not only one but a ton of new universes, possibilities and Gods. The creativity this idea holds is astounding. Too bad it never dwelved too much in that. I mean I very much enjoy Beerus, Whis, Zamasu but by having 12 Universes and then not fully utilasing them is never a good thing. I enjoyed U6 tournament, it's fighters, little twists and turns of expected characters doing unexpected things (Kabba, Frost) but after that they never really went into exploration. Starting ToP we actually had some caricatures of a character, not characters mind you (more on that later).
All in all I'll give props to Super for creativity and originality. It made what GT didn't - brought a shitload of new characters, worlds and even universes into the table and did it with Toryiama style. On the other hand Super is lacking what made GT great and that is what I mentioned eariler - the overall flow. Things do not really come from one another but just... Pop up because the writers or beacuse Toryiama wanted it.
Super also greatly uses fan-service to it's extent (you may as well cause this marketing), which isn't bad per se if done right. The good examples are pretty much Mafuba (as it involved Roshi's progress), Frieza coming back (his character is portrayed quite interestingly throughout, I don't even mind his 4 months training) but there are some bad examples too - Mystic Gohan (sure, it was cool to see him again but for the love of god, decide what do you want to do with him, at least in GT he stayed consistent) and female Broly (this would be quite cool if we didn't have a Broly coming up RIGHT AFTER this arc).
I will also give props for Super actually trying to involve the whole cast one way or another starting right from Beerus arc. Was this done right? Yes, I guess in most cases it was.

2) Writing and character interaction:
GT:
Not much may be said here. GT - as I mentioned - builds on Z and the cast behaves reaslistically to what they were established in Z. It isn't always what I want, mind you (I'd rather Piccolo and Krilin not be cast aside) but it's compeletly realistic and I can understand Gohan becoming a scientist, Goten becoming a ladies-man, Vegeta becoming a loving daddy (but being a badass when the situation is extremely critical). This is life's natural flow, people change, people retire, new people like Pan arrive.
Having said that Goku Time is a completely legitimate point. Goku only and maybe a little Pan makes far to little of a gang to carry on a series (I know every character had a chance to shine but that's not enough, look at DB and Z, everyone mattered there). At least the cast they use is generally likeable and I don't struggle to keep up with them.

I acknowledge however the great laziness the writers made with charatcer such as Uub, who was established as Goku's prodigy and ended up like 'oh, a little Tien wannabe, had his five seconds'. That's just not cool.

Super:
Oooooh boy, do not even get me started on this one.
I will say that right now; until the ToP Arc the writing was quite okay. Then it all fell apart.
First things first, I absolutely loath the fact that the first two arcs are retelling of the movies. Yes, I know they do it different and yes, I know, they have many stuff not included in the movies and yes, I know, the filler between the arcs can be really funny but I cannot help it. Whenever I see Beerus and Frieza arcs in Super I know I'm wasting my time, as they are *inferior* versions of stories which have been told. Watching them feels like a complete waste of time and the padding is horrendous.
When we get to U6 Tournament and Zamasu arc it starts to get way better, after that ToP holds great premise, we get to see a complete new, original tournament, The GP making up the arena made me feel excited of what's to come (the same way Z did when Goku ran Snake Way, when Gohan strugled against Cell, when Elder Kai danced around Gohan to unlock his power) but after Kefla is defeated everything for me... Sort of falls apart. I don't know if the writing team was changed or wtf happened but it's not the same show anymore. Goku is an idiot, universe destruction means nothing, Jiren loses all of mystery and positives he had, when he actually starts talking (you have no chance, it's useless to fight me) and 50% of the cast start yelling mindless phrazes (LOVE, LOVE IS EVERYTHING, I LOVE LOVE; JUSTICE, JUSTICE IS EVERYTHING, JUSTICE FLASH; JUSTICE IS USELESS, NO MOAR JUSTICE) <- I mean what is this, what even is this? It's an abomination and insult to the viewers intelligence. They are not characters anymore. They are paper puppets shouting some one-dimesnional crap. Even a 5 year old could think up a better story (and please mind I know what I'm saying as I am a parent of a 5 year old). I'm sorry for you all ToP lovers but I can't stand it. Something definetly went wrong here and I don't know was it the writing staff, or the show being rushed. To give credit where credit is due the last episodes WERE kind of enjoyable but after sitting through 40+ episodes I felt so tired of it, it didn't make any impact. ToP is the sole reason I watched Super 4 times. I just actually, really wanted to grind through this arc.

Maybe I'm being unfair. DBS is after all a show targeted at a much younger audience than Z but that's my taste.

3) Main character:
GT:
Goku becomes a kid. Oh.
I agree with everyone that kid Goku plot should be resolved after the Black Star saga. Some of us, which really enjoyed Goku from DB, would have their 5 minutes but there was not a really good reason why Goku stayed as a kid, apart from the writers wanted so...
Mind you, I never really got annoyed by this choice and believe it or not GT Goku was my first exposure to kid Goku (I watched majority of the original after GT).

Having said that I actually enjoy the litle twist of the main character becoming someone we didn't see for a long time. Of course there are some instances he behaves like the original kid Goku (which throws all of his character developement out of the window) but I cannot help to think it was done for comedic purposes only. After all when shit gets real, Goku starts behaving as an experienced fighter and though a child, he can have a mind of an adult. We also have SSJ4, which makes Goku the person we all know from Z. Not the ideal solution... But I can live with that.

Super:
I often like to joke that while GT gave Goku a child's body but kept an adult's mind, Super did the opposite. Kept Goku as an adult but gave him the mind of an 8 year old.

Yes, I know Supers' Goku is a character that Toryiama originally invisioned and 'superhero' Goku is not. That's not the point though.
I think the majority of us had their first exposure of the DB world via the anime. Many of us grew while watching Goku, his character and behaviour genuinely inspired many of us. Would that be the case if Goku was a blumbering, fight-loving idiot? No.
'Superhero' Goku may not be the idea Toryiama wanted but this character is one of the greatest characters watched by my punk me. And many others.
A hero - in any kinds of media, be it a movie, a game, a book, a series - has to posses some traits that you can feel and share. Anime Goku did this and that's why he is my personal superior version. If I want to watch an idiot Goku, having an orgasm about another fight and not caring about anything, I will go watch TFS DBZ Abridged and call it a day.
Also I have read the original manga multiple times and really... Goku is never portrayed as a 'superhero' there but is also never portrayed such badly as in Super.

4) Animation:
GT:
What can I say here? The animation... Is really consistent. While it's compeletely debatable whether you like the art style and color palet, I cannot deny that it reaches a very high level of professionalism (especially given the time) and never drops. GT knows what it wants and right to the last episode delivers it, even if for some it isn't what they invisioned.
GT has one good thing Z and Super do not have and that is non-changing quality. I mean please look at Z and don't tell me there were times where they really, really dropped the balls (Namek Saga, Cell Games).

Super:
You know where this is going...
Actually I won't write essays about the quality in Beerus and Freeza arcs. I will however say that while comparing them to the stuff that came before (the movies, which were absolutely beatifull) really makes you scratch your head.
And it isn't only about the two first arcs. Everything in U6 saga feels... 'Off' for me (when I saw Frost in ToP arc, I was actually shocked you can make a really well animated Frost ;p).
The art style is off course different from DB and Z, it wants to carry a more modern look but that doesn't convince me. The ToP arc looks *great* mind you, the UI, battle against Jiren, is an absolute eye-candy and I cannot get enough of it (but on the other hand it's 2018, not 1996, so go figure).

Personally I am not a fan of this direction. The slim look of characters (Tien, Goku, Future Trunks) makes it looks like they actually regressesed (mind you, at least with Gohan it makes sense). New characters like the U2 make me vomit
and before anyone of you starts talking about the 'moustached' Vegeta, please note in this series Goku and Vegeta actually have beards (yes, I know this is a comedic scene)
Super animation has it's time to shine but this moments come way too far into the series I feel quite washed out already.

5) Music:
GT:
I absolutely adore 'Dan dan' and it's remakes through the show so much it takes me emotionally sometimes. I am not what you call the biggest fan of GT's OST beside this but what we got I enjoy and actually feel like something I would hear in DBZ.

Super:
This is not nearly the thematic and epic soundtrack for me that would do it but UI theme never fails to give me chills down my spine. I also enjoy the first opening very much (Don't you wanna dream again...)

I also absolutely despise the Japanese 'pop' ending songs which rarely evoke the atmospehere of the show (while GT at leat gave us Hitori Ja Nai).

In this regard the show's stand at a draw with maybe a small edge to GT.

6) Arcs:
Black Star saga:
The idea of a gang consisting of young Goku, Pan (Bulma) and Trunks holds a great premise for a long term fan. Execution leaves a lot to be desired though as the writers cannot decide whether they are making up a comedic, or a dark and sinister story. Lack of Toryiama involvement shows, as we are presented to somewhat fun but very 'safe' jokes without any spark we got from the original DB. I like the fact that the stories mesh logically - like I said above.

Baby saga:
Though the villain potential is great, GT never really delivers and instead creates another evil overlord, which the audience will most surely want dead. Baby's story could be really built up for so much more but whatever we get. At least the other things present in the arc (SSJ4, Ozzaru comeback, evil Bulma for Christ sake, characters becoming villains) still stands.

17th Saga:
People often call it a mini arc building up to the Dragon Saga and I cannot blame them. This arc really is the lowest point of GT and serves mainly as fan-service and sort of mending DBZ movies 7, 12, 13 toghether. Anyone else think this should be just another quick movie?

Dragon Saga:
I like this arc, it really has much going for it. Apart from consequnces of your actions, which I mentioned, it has so many nods to the series' fans (Nuova Shenron becoming a friend, Goku guarding the 4 star ball, Gogeta, Vegeta thinking about 'the ol' days'). Should the dragons be more creatively designed? Perhaps. Should more characters be utilized fighting them? Yes.
I do however ask you to watch the saga again as it's really enjoyable in it's own rights. Its also is the saga which made the Sayians and more importantly Vegeta return to the spotlight, Omega Shenron - while being generic - presented a serious threat and is capable of interesting the viewer.

Battle of the Gods Arc:
This is actually one of my favourite stories in all of DB. The new characters, the revalations, the universes, the humor presented, the Pilaf gang and at last the epic showdown...
It's breathtaking and unpredictable. SSJG is such a different transformation than what we saw in Z.
Everything is just 10/10...

... Until that is I become aware I'm talking about the movie and not the Anime reteling, which omitted or padded shitload of things.

Ressurection F arc:

The same as above really.

While BoG was a plot driven, sometimes comedic, sometimes thick with tension movie, RF is an action movie, But what an action movie it is. It is compeletly gorgeous and stunning as SJJBlue is presented with upmost care. Freeza's character is done perfectly and involves everything I would expect from the villain.
When comparing Anime to the movie, again, the first feels really lackluster to me. I can give props for Goku's, Vegeta's and Frieza's training scenes but everything else is inferior by my comparison.

U6 arc:
That was an exciting arc for me as I actually felt we are starting Super properly with (at last) a new story.
The tone of the arc sits well with me. We are presented with serious but not tragic stakes and everything has a touch of humor in it. Champa's and Beerus' relation feels right and are generally quite funny.
We get kind of a throwback with this, a mix of sort of Budokai Tenkaichi and other-world tournaments and as I am a huge fan of BT in DB, I had high expactations.
In the end nothing felt nearly as epic as it should but the arc still was fun. Some of the fights, while not very interesting to watch (Botamo, Magetta), utilized solid tactics never seen before and I like the writers trying to give us not 1 but 2 twists with Frost character.
Hit will always stay as a many fan favourite and is a solid Piccolo, Pikkon clone (yeah, sorry).
I really don't care for Monaka and his antics though but he is very 'Toriyamish'.

Future Trunks arc:
This one is a though one for me as I have very ambivalent feelings about it.
On one hand it is easily the highlight of Super's original stories and Zamasu character is a breath of fresh air in DB ( but mind you in other anime or media, he would just be generic to the bones ). Even if it's fan service I enjoy seeing Future Trunks back and watch him and his relantionships with people from this timeline after so much time.
Mai is used very interestingly and even Yajirobe makes an appearance. The mystery of Goku Black, while could've been handled a lot better - maybe a bit of what GT did with Baby? - is still satysfying. Nevertheless Zamasu is actually the only character in DB that made me feel real annoyance and that's saying something when a DB villain gives you real emotions (maybe excluding Vegeta of whom I was very scared when I was little :D).
On the other hand the pacing was definetly too fast for me. Anyone else think episode number of this arc and ToP should be the other way round?
Also while the stakes were presented as very high, I never actually felt it, as the heroes jumped back and forth in time whenever there was trouble faster than a cat on steroids.
It really felt as deux ex machina and neglected all the seriousness a time travel had when established in Android saga.
Also the ending doesn't stick well with me as with the majority. I don't mind Trunks' sword of friendship as he actually had the right to kill of the sociopath, who took everything for him but then the writers just overdid it. There's a moment when a show has to stop being schocking and cool to stay satisfying.

ToP arc:
I think I explained all my thoughts towards this arc earlier so there.

7) The ending:
GT:
While not very logical for a long term fan standpoint and in some way not making sense, I feel the writers went for a very poetic and emotional response. And they got me here. Goku leaving with Shenron is very symbolic and him saying 'goodbye' to the cast, Pan collecting his shirt, melancholic Vegeta - it's all very nicely done.
After that the series ends with a beatifull homeage to the series, especially in Japanese with 'Dan Dan' and ends everything on a very high note.

Super:
While I try not be too much of a hater, I must say that one of the reasons Super ending is great is that it finally ended the ToP ;p
Okay, I'll be serious from now on.
Super's ending is not an end of a long, epic series but just a part of it with a very clear 'to be continued' so naturally it shouldn't be compared identically.
To give credit where credit is due, I like Goku and Frieza team up and their fight, I enjoy that actually 17 was the last one standing (I don't think anyone really expected that).
As a whole however I am somewhat dissapointed. I always evisioned Super's motive as that of the idea of almighty gods being there somewhere in the universe and unfortunately having the power to do as they please. Giving life or taking it on a whim, according to their taste and motivation (which could compeletly disregards the mortals). Look at Zeno. Emotions of others are nothing to him, as when he decides something is gone it is gone (and may be gone forever).
The idea itself is very unsettling and makes a great set up for a series. It starts with Beerus and his questionable morality, slowly becoming an ally but never compeletly. After that Zamasu shows us in what ways a god can be terifying and finally we got ToP, which I thought is really going to be a culmination point and ones and for all ends with a confontation with the gods vs. mortals (I am not saying a battle of anything but e.g. an ideals clash).
Sadly, if the writers intended anything like this, it was thrown out of the window and in the end nothing has changed. Zeno is suddenly an almighty, wise, testing-us kind of god and the angels are all nice and all. This is also one of the reasons I don't care for ToP. They had much going for, Goku and Jiren could have not only a battle of fists and energy but also a battle of world view. In the end nothing has changed, everyone has been beating each other up through 50 episodes and no character developement happened (maybe expect a little for Jiren).

8) Conclusion:
In the end I know I am comparing two entirely different series that have a different tone, set up and try to acomplish different things.
I can enjoy one and the other (or at least major parts from them). Each one has its pros and cons. Overall however taking into consideration overall quality and points I mentioned personally I lean more towards GT. While sometimes boring, sometimes untoriyama, sometimes too much Goku Time, it stays consistent and knows what it wants to do.
In Super on the other hand I cannot even get into the beginning as the two movies, like I said, are absolutely superior and I never treat Beerus arc or Frieza arc as Super's sagas.
After that I have one arc that is honestly entertaining, one that is very good (but not ideal) and one which I absolutely can't stand.
I also am mind boggled at how much Super can get lazy with it's storytelling as if someone in the writing staff said 'fuck it'.
The biggest example is Jiren's backstory which is not only generic and done to death in every anime but also very backbones - they really coudln't think of anything but 'evildoer'? How are we supposed to care if the villain here is an esoteric smiling face? Couldn't the backstory be told in more than half an episode? There really was enough space.
There are also the small things like when 17 shows Goku his family and every viewer then knows we will finally see it in the next screen (but no, Goku just smiles and gives him the phone back, seriously?), we didn't even see them in the epilogue.
These is minor stuff but a stuff nonetheless and if I can see many examples of it, my overall enjoyment of the show decreases unfortunately.

I know I produced an enormous TL;DR wall of text.
If anyone got here, then thank you and I'll gladly discuss it if anyone wants to prove me wrong (or prove mi right)!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:59 pm

I mean nobody is probing you right or wrong because you just gave your opinion so there's nothing empirical about it to prove or disprove

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:53 pm

Saturnine wrote:
OhHiRenan wrote:
Saturnine wrote:How did Vegeta supposedly regress in character in Super? I think he progressed a lot actually, caring about people 'n shit.
He regresses by, once again, obsessing over his rivalry with Goku despite coming to terms with it at the end of the Boo arc. He also showed he cared by the end of the original series. His characterization is derivative of a much better series with nowhere near as much poignancy.
Quoting my own post from above on the matter:
Saturnine wrote: I think they mean how Vegeta didn't accept Kakarot as his superior forever and become his second-class horn tooter like he was in GT. I have no idea why people consider this attractive, or are bothered by a competitive Vegeta. If Vegeta had no drive to surpass Kakarot, he'd never come as far as he has in Super. He'd probably not even approach SSj God level overall. I personally would find it a waste of the character. Vegeta's pride and ambition to be the absolute number 1 are some of his most enjoyable traits, he just doesn't work as someone's lapdog.
That's such a reductive take on Vegeta's character in GT. He gets over his rivalry with Goku. GT Vegeta isn't driven by the incessant need to surpass Goku because he grew out of it in his character arc. GT Vegeta, while boring, is a fully developed character and it shows. GT Vegeta is a natural continuation of Vegeta's character arc from the original series. He's in no way Goku's lapdog. If anything, GT Vegeta feels like an equal to Goku because he's let the rivalry go. Obviously they aren't equals in strength until the very end, but there's a level of respect in their dynamic that feels natural.

Sure, if Vegeta had no drive to surpass Goku he wouldn't come as far as he has in Super, but how far he's come in Super isn't impressive in the slightest because it's at the expense of his character arc. He legitimately regressed. He went back on one of his most important character beats at the end of the original series. I don't think Vegeta is more entertaining this way in Super because it's just not a natural progression of his arc. Vegeta's pride and ambition in Super feel out of place. They counter important details that were ironed out in the Boo arc. I'm not bothered by a competitive Vegeta. I'm bothered by a Vegeta forcing himself stuck in Goku's shadow. He moved on in the Boo arc only to come right back in Super. It's derivative, uninteresting, and makes him a far lesser character.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:24 am

OhHiRenan wrote:incessant need to surpass Goku because he grew out of it in his character arc. GT Vegeta, while boring, is a fully developed character and it shows. GT Vegeta is a natural continuation of Vegeta's character arc from the original series. He's in no way Goku's lapdog. If anything, GT Vegeta feels like an equal to Goku because he's let the rivalry go. Obviously they aren't equals in strength until the very end, but there's a level of respect in their dynamic that feels natural.

Sure, if Vegeta had no drive to surpass Goku he wouldn't come as far as he has in Super, but how far he's come in Super isn't impressive in the slightest because it's at the expense of his character arc. He legitimately regressed. He went back on one of his most important character beats at the end of the original series. I don't think Vegeta is more entertaining this way in Super because it's just not a natural progression of his arc. Vegeta's pride and ambition in Super feel out of place. They counter important details that were ironed out in the Boo arc. I'm not bothered by a competitive Vegeta. I'm bothered by a Vegeta forcing himself stuck in Goku's shadow. He moved on in the Boo arc only to come right back in Super. It's derivative, uninteresting, and makes him a far lesser character.
Well, tell that to fucking Toriyama and his last Kanzenban page :lol:

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:26 am

I don’t see your point. The Kanzenban ending does bad by Vegeta’s character too and is a great example of why completed works should be left untouched.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:16 am

GT was pretty bad. But so was Super.

But I watched to the end, not sure what that says about me as a person.

Super wins though overall, better story, even if parts I felt were bad or not making sense.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:03 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:I don’t see your point. The Kanzenban ending does bad by Vegeta’s character too and is a great example of why completed works should be left untouched.
I agree that finished products should stay as is but Toriyama was burned out during the Buu arc so the Kanzenban's ending gave him the chance to expanded on what he was trying to do, it didn't change anything established. Vegeta's panel was to show that although he changed, he didn't give up his way as a warrior which makes sense. The expanded panels with Goku and Uub put more emphases on the passing of the mantle down to the new generation. The last thing was when Buu was defeated which showed a close up of the spirit bomb destroying him to give more of an impact on his death. These changes are small and Toriyama didn't have to make them but thankfully he did as they helped improve the overall feel of the ending. There are also the great covers we got from Toriyama which put the original Tankobon ones to shame so that's another plus for the release.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.