Which did it better, GT or Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:02 pm

PFM18 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
ricky84 wrote:The way the Shadow Dragons were handled was so sloppy. They were supposed to be the final antagonist yet half of them were killed by base Goku, most have ugly designs and all have little personality. Syn/Omega Shenron and Nova were the only ones that stood out in any way.
Agreed. Plus Omega Shenron was such a boring villain. He is evil incarnate, basically. Whoop dee doo! I don't want every villain to be as nuanced and multi-layered as Zamasu (clearly the most complex villain in Dragon Ball), but they could at least try to write a villain that goes beyond the extremely generic "I am evil and dark so I will destroy everyone and everything!" trope. Which was already done by Kid Buu anyway.

Which is why I, as impartial as usual, will have to commend Baby Vegeta for being a villain who actually had a relatable goal (who wouldn't want revenge on a primitive and violent species that committed genocide upon your city?).
It's amazing how you always manage to bring up Zamasu in every post
It truly is indeed. That's because everyone must remember Zamasu for two things:

1) His sarcastic/funny side, from which many iconic and popular memes originated;
2) Obviously, the fact that he set the bar very high for future Dragon Ball villains, since he is by far the most complex and multi-layered antagonist in the entire franchise. Something that I cannot say for any Dragon Ball Gt antagonist. They were all very average, actually, even Baby Vegeta.

And for the aforementioned reasons, It is important that we all remember and continue appreciating this character even when his arc has been over for more than two years.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:10 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:
Agreed. Plus Omega Shenron was such a boring villain. He is evil incarnate, basically. Whoop dee doo! I don't want every villain to be as nuanced and multi-layered as Zamasu (clearly the most complex villain in Dragon Ball), but they could at least try to write a villain that goes beyond the extremely generic "I am evil and dark so I will destroy everyone and everything!" trope. Which was already done by Kid Buu anyway.

Which is why I, as impartial as usual, will have to commend Baby Vegeta for being a villain who actually had a relatable goal (who wouldn't want revenge on a primitive and violent species that committed genocide upon your city?).
It's amazing how you always manage to bring up Zamasu in every post
It truly is indeed. That's because everyone must remember Zamasu for two things:

1) His sarcastic/funny side, from which many iconic and popular memes originated;
2) Obviously, the fact that he set the bar very high for future Dragon Ball villains, since he is by far the most complex and multi-layered antagonist in the entire franchise. Something that I cannot say for any Dragon Ball Gt antagonist. They were all very average, actually, even Baby Vegeta.

And for the aforementioned reasons, It is important that we all remember and continue appreciating this character even when his arc has been over for more than two years.
Has it been two years already? Damn that's crazy.

It's cool though, Broly is going to be a better villlain anyway

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:26 am

ricky84 wrote:The way the Shadow Dragons were handled was so sloppy. They were supposed to be the final antagonist yet half of them were killed by base Goku, most have ugly designs and all have little personality. Syn/Omega Shenron and Nova were the only ones that stood out in any way.
Yeah, not to mention their origin. The fact that their origin bothers so few people is puzzling to me. They originated from Earth's DB's, which were many times throughout the series portrayed as artifacts of limited power, with both their creator and Shenron itself dying (Shenron was ended by freaking King Piccolo, battle power 260!). Every given creator of Shenron was shown to have absolute power over it, able to even alter the mechanics of the wish-granting.

And suddenly in GT, these DB's spawn the most powerful villain thus far, just on the account of "negative wishing energy" from single wishes. I always found it very hard to suspend my disbelief for that, dunno about you guys. Maybe if Omega Shenron was like, dunno, Nappa level, then I'd buy it.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 am

Saturnine wrote:
Yeah, not to mention their origin. The fact that their origin bothers so few people is puzzling to me. They originated from Earth's DB's, which were many times throughout the series portrayed as artifacts of limited power, with both their creator and Shenron itself dying (Shenron was ended by freaking King Piccolo, battle power 260!). Every given creator of Shenron was shown to have absolute power over it, able to even alter the mechanics of the wish-granting.

And suddenly in GT, these DB's spawn the most powerful villain thus far, just on the account of "negative wishing energy" from single wishes. I always found it very hard to suspend my disbelief for that, dunno about you guys. Maybe if Omega Shenron was like, dunno, Nappa level, then I'd buy it.
This was one of those things where I felt like it was something that logically didn't make sense but by that point you were just being asked to shut your brain off for it. The idea that Shenron could produce such a powerful being is sort of ridiculous.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 am

So basically if they ever do Shadow Dragons again you have them come from the SUPER Dragon Balls instead, right?

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:50 am

lancerman wrote: This was one of those things where I felt like it was something that logically didn't make sense but by that point you were just being asked to shut your brain off for it. The idea that Shenron could produce such a powerful being is sort of ridiculous.
Whoa, nice to know that at least one other person is bothered by this. Fans of GT usually rationalize it saying that you can't really measure the negative wishing energy, and therefore it could easily be just as huge as portrayed in GT. But that explanation doesn't sit well with me at all for some reason.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:54 am

Shaddy wrote:So basically if they ever do Shadow Dragons again you have them come from the SUPER Dragon Balls instead, right?
Well, that would at the very least convincingly solve the problem of them being so powerful. But seeing as how their story was just an extension of Old Kaioshin's warning about the abuse of Earth's DBs, I don't think that story can be retreaded now in a convincing way. Unless you remove Goku, Vegeta, Gohan and Gotenks from the equation somehow, but even that would still leave room for a SSj2+ tier villain, as Piccolo would still be there. It's a lose-lose IMO.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:24 pm

GT had better concepts (execution be damned), more consistent animation and a better finale. Super (anime version) is better at just about everything else though.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 pm

zarmack wrote:GT had better concepts (execution be damned), more consistent animation and a better finale. Super (anime version) is better at just about everything else though.
Eh, I don't know if GT had that much better concepts then Super. Maybe only slightly. I think animation.... GT animation wasn't really good. And super wasn't either except those few episdoes where they actaully tried... so I don't know. I guess super is better because its HIGHS of animation compeltly wipe out anything GT did. I think you mean art, where GT was much more consitent then super.

GT has better:
Writing
designs and art
FAR better ending that wipes out supers
characterization
power scailing

Super has better:
"excitment"
Atangonist
animation
ost
characters
Character shine

So It is deabtable, I personally like GT better then supers anime by far because GT last episode is a top 5 episode in dragon ball history, and ssj4 is the best trnaformation in the frnachise. Those two things added with the other things GT brought to the table makes me like GT far better. Without thelast episode and ssj4, then I could be willing to say Super is better. bUT THose two put GT far above super. The best thing super had was 130 and 131 which included some of the ebst animation in history, the problem was those episodes were so poorly written that I couldn't even enjoy the breath taking animation. Other then that, super really didn't bring much to the table in the legacy of dragon ball in my eyes, hence why GT is much better then the anime of super.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 pm

GT may have had a better ending. But that's about it. Everything else is inferior to Super.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:38 pm

GT:
-better Concepts
-More consistent Animation
-Better Ending
-better Character Designs
-better Artstyle
-More Interesting Story
-Characterization
-better Stroytelling
-better music

Super:
-giving other Characters more Shine
-far better Fights
-Better Characters
GT Fighter

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 am

SSj4 was interesting because it was different, but I personally wouldn't call it the best transformation ever. The black hair and the randomly red fur did leave something to be desired. If the hair and the fur were both gold, it would feel more complete. This way it feels... transitional. Much like UI Omen or new Broly's Rage form. These two, however, don't keep up any pretenses about being in fact transitional forms, while SSj4 advertises itself as a "final" form. For that reason I find it missing something. Tablos-style SSj5 would be an interesting development of SSj4, though frankly I think the best possible thing would be to merge it with SSj God and create a blue or altogether different new variation.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 am

Super isn't over yet, in fact episode 131 is not the ending of Super, it's the ending of a season of Super, big difference. The narrator even says that the adventures of Goku and his friend will return once a new powerful unknown enemy appears (Broly), and that this is just a brief parting. So I don't know how you people can claim that GT had a better ending than Super when we don't even know how Super ends.

But why did episode 131 end in such a casual way? Because Super will return anyway, so there is no need to get all emotional and stuff. Once Super really ends, I am sure that they will put a flashback with all the new enemies that Goku fought (Hit, Zamasu, Jiren, Broly etc.) and there will be emotional music, with Goku flying away and saying goodbye to people like he did at the end of GT. But the ending of Super has not come yet.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:Because Super will return anyway, so there is no need to get all emotional and stuff. Once Super really ends, I am sure that they will put a flashback with all the new enemies that Goku fought (Hit, Zamasu, Jiren, Broly etc.) and there will be emotional music, with Goku flying away and saying goodbye to people like he did at the end of GT.
Hopefully not. Each series should have its own ending to make it more unique and memorable, not reusing (enough of reusing!) old ones. Dragon Ball GT was cool because it was emotional and all that, Dragon Ball Online was awesome because it revolved around a mystery... If Dragon Ball Super does end up having an end, it should be something unique too. Otherwise, that series wouldn't even have the ending in its favor.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:43 am

DB Super's ending did feel definitive and like a closure, but Goku needing to leave was completely unconvincing and forced, whichretty much ruins the whole thing for me.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Grimlock wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Because Super will return anyway, so there is no need to get all emotional and stuff. Once Super really ends, I am sure that they will put a flashback with all the new enemies that Goku fought (Hit, Zamasu, Jiren, Broly etc.) and there will be emotional music, with Goku flying away and saying goodbye to people like he did at the end of GT.
Otherwise, that series wouldn't even have the ending in its favor.
And that's fine because Super has everything else in it's favor. I dont expect Super to ever come up with something that measures up to the GT ending but it literally did everything else better

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:33 pm

PFM18 wrote:And that's fine because Super has everything else in it's favor. I dont expect Super to ever come up with something that measures up to the GT ending but it literally did everything else better
Well, I don't remember seeing retellings and tournaments being the focus for the most part of Dragon Ball GT. And certainly I can't say those are positive things going on for Dragon Ball Super.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Grimlock wrote:
PFM18 wrote:And that's fine because Super has everything else in it's favor. I dont expect Super to ever come up with something that measures up to the GT ending but it literally did everything else better
Well, I don't remember seeing retellings and tournaments being the focus for the most part of Dragon Ball GT. And certainly I can't say those are positive things going on for Dragon Ball Super.
tournaments are a staple in the Dragon Ball franchise and this introduced tournaments on a Universal scale with totally new formats for tournaments. And DBS as a series should be viewed in a vacuum and for it's own merits it does not matter that they are retellings. Besides, the retellings were completely necessary

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Fun fact: the premise of a story has no effect on how well it's told. This is why the phrase "good concepts, bad execution" exists for GT in the first place. Putting Super below GT solely on the premises of it's arcs is basically just saying the quality doesn't matter as long you happen to personally gel with the ideas it puts out. This is the "Sonic 06 isn't bad, because it had potential!" school of thought.

Beyond Newbie

Post by 1345521 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:36 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
tournaments are a staple in the Dragon Ball franchise and this introduced tournaments on a Universal scale with totally new formats for tournaments. And DBS as a series should be viewed in a vacuum and for it's own merits it does not matter that they are retellings. Besides, the retellings were completely necessary
The re-tellings were not "completly neccessary", not having the re-tellings, I wouldn't have loss any vital information that'll I need for the rest of the seires. The re-tellings were simply because akira needed time to make more plot.

And a common crtisim of super has been its lack of orgianility is arcs and villains (except for one arc)
BoG was orginal
Then another frieza arc
a tounrment
a orginal arc
then just another big tounrment

Though the tounrments were differnt, its still tounrament and that's what people will remember.