Which did it better, GT or Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Which did it better, GT or Super?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:32 am

DBS can't beat GT because it doesn't have anything in it beside fanservice.
There wasn't a single original arc in it.
The only one that tried to be new was Zamasu arc and it completely failed being full of fanservice and ripofs anyway.
Other than that, what DBS have? Movie retellings? Tournaments? Awesome.

GT has Baby arc and Shadow Dragons arc, both very original

Also, GT didn't have to advertise itselft by bringing back old characters and giving them asspull boosts to keep people watching it.
People where hyped for Zamasu and Universe Tournament arcs because Trunks and Android 17 were meant to play major role in it.

In GT, everyone was older and they made Pan a main character. Now imagine DBS taking that risk. Good luck.
DBS couldn't even make people grow up. It only used the old and well-known characters and events.
Goten and Trunks didn't change since Buu saga despite late DBS taking place 6 years after it.
No one changed at all. Entire U7 team consisted of the same old characters. They could introduce a ONE new character.

DBS could easily be a dream and nothing would've changed in story beside characters not having new forms.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:51 am

Gonna have to laugh at the Baby arc being original. Tuffle wants revenge on remaining saiyans for the destruction of their race? Plan to eradicate the saiyans. Shadow Dragons is understandable, baby arc is not.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:44 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:Gonna have to laugh at the Baby arc being original. Tuffle wants revenge on remaining saiyans for the destruction of their race? Plan to eradicate the saiyans. Shadow Dragons is understandable, baby arc is not.
While it true both Baby and Hatchiyak did have the same goal Baby accomplished much more than Hatchiyak ever. Making him a much more memorable villain imho.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:46 am

Baby and Lycee are so different, Baby has even more in common with Cell.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 am

This is specifically about originality though, would anybody say, with a straight face, that the baby arc was an original idea to dragon ball?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:39 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:This is specifically about originality though, would anybody say, with a straight face, that the baby arc was an original idea to dragon ball?
No but it was by far the best arc that GT had. Yes, strictly from an originality point of view it isnt extremely original. But it is the best Gt has to offer. Still nothing particularly amazing but that just speaks to the quality of Gt.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:47 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:In GT, they made Pan a main character. Now imagine DBS taking that risk. Good luck.
Thanks to them doing that and other things GT was cancelled and the franchise was dead for 5 years. That's not counting how long we had to wait for actual new content.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:55 am

sintzu wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:In GT, they made Pan a main character. Now imagine DBS taking that risk. Good luck.
Thanks to them doing that and other things GT was cancelled and the franchise was dead for 5 years. That's not counting how long we had to wait for actual new content.
Wasn't that kind of Sunsteshimmers point?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:04 pm

sintzu wrote:
I low how you still say that the franchise was dead for 5 years from then on when its flat out wrong and I told you that this was the time the manga went overseas to Germany and all. If anything Dragon Ball was distributed a lot at that time.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Naelysucker

Post by Naelysucker » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:The Highest of highs of Super are better than the Highs of Z. think about that.

ToP is the second greatest arc next to Namek arc.
Thats extremely debatable
I might even say thats extremely funny.

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:24 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:This is specifically about originality though, would anybody say, with a straight face, that the baby arc was an original idea to dragon ball?
No but it was by far the best arc that GT had. Yes, strictly from an originality point of view it isnt extremely original. But it is the best Gt has to offer. Still nothing particularly amazing but that just speaks to the quality of Gt.
I wouldn't claim Baby to be original. I thought it was brilliant for its execution more than anything else. It took the basic concepts from a non-canon special that no one watched and built on them, developing it into a complete arc. The Tuffles, the Saiyans history of aggression, their Oozaru transformation, That's what GT excelled at, building on plot points that were established in previous material, like they did with Super 17 and the Shadow Dragons.

Considering it gave us one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, transformations in the show and one of the best executed villains, the Baby arc does speak to the quality of GT.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:38 pm

sintzu wrote:
GT wasn't cancelled. It was extended. That's a difference.
GT was meant to end at Baby saga (40 episodes). That's why "A Hero's Legacy" was made and aired during Baby saga, not after Shadow Dragons arc like it would be if GT was planned to have 64 episodes.

And how was franchise dead? DB manga ended long time before that. If GT wasn't made, it would be dead for 2 more years then. Why would it be dead because of GT's existence? If GT wasn't made then we would have new series sooner than in 2015? Lol right.

Besides, no matter how much it failed and how many issues GT had, they at least tried. Super didn't even try. And that's what i respect.
Sure, DBS being a midquel was a bit limited, so they couldn't for example kill Piccolo or Buu for good (like GT did), but it doesn't mean they couldn't make new ideas and introduce new protagonists to Z-team. That tournament could easily include 1 or 2 new characters instead of Frieza and Android 17 (despite 17 being the best part about this arc). If such tournament was made in GT, they could easily add Ledgic. They could somehow bring Nuova as well. And while Pan and Uub came from Z, they had some spotlight in GT making them fresh characters and entire cast was more fresh as well. There is simply no one new in DBS and old characters like Goten or Trunks didn't even change. DBS was too afraid of changes. We already had teen Trunks design from "History of Trunks". They could easily use it and make new design for Goten.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:45 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
sintzu wrote:
GT was meant to end at Baby saga (40 episodes). That's why "A Hero's Legacy" was made and aired during Baby saga, not after Shadow Dragons arc like it would be if GT was planned to have 64 episodes.

And how was franchise dead? DB manga ended long time before that. If GT wasn't made, it would be dead for 2 more years then. Why would it be dead because of GT's existence? If GT wasn't made then we would have new series sooner than in 2015? Lol right.

Besides, no matter how much it failed and how many issues GT had, they at least tried. Super didn't even try. And that's what i respect.
Sure, DBS being a midquel was a bit limited, so they couldn't for example kill Piccolo or Buu for good (like GT did), but it doesn't mean they couldn't make new ideas and introduce new protagonists to Z-team. That tournament could easily include 1 or 2 new characters instead of Frieza and Android 17 (despite 17 being the best part about this arc). If such tournament was made in GT, they could easily add Ledgic. They could somehow bring Nuova as well. And while Pan and Uub came from Z, they had some spotlight in GT making them fresh characters and entire cast was more fresh as well. There is simply no one new in DBS and old characters like Goten or Trunks didn't even change. DBS was too afraid of changes. We already had teen Trunks design from "History of Trunks". They could easily use it and make new design for Goten.
...You are actually saying that Super didn't "make new ideas and introduce new protagonists to Z-team" as though GT did this better? are You serious?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:06 pm

PFM18 wrote:
...You are actually saying that Super didn't "make new ideas and introduce new protagonists to Z-team" as though GT did this better? are You serious?
And who did Super introduce to main cast? Beerus wasn't the real protagonist and he isn't even from Super, he is from DBZ movie, so i don't count him anyway.

Other than that, entire cast consisted of old characters without any major change that would happen in 6 years since Buu saga, like Goten and Trunks actually growing up a bit.

GT had Pan and Uub + Giru who was completely new character in franchise.
Goten and Trunks were adults and were completely different than they were before. And i'm 100% sure that DBS would try to make GT Trunks a clone of Future Trunks instead of giving him his own personality.
Entire DBS is just like another episode of Buu saga. Or movie based on it. You can't tell anything has changed since then.
Marron didn't change AT ALL either. She is still a small baby despite having 9 years. Yes, she is almost TWICE older than Gohan was on Namek.
It's like Shin-Chan where time flows, years pass by, mother even gets pregnant and give birth to daughter, but Shin is always 5yo.

The only exception would be Gohan and Videl. You can actually see that Gohan does something with his life and Videl is completely different both in look and personality. And while i don't really like what DBS made with her, yeah, they at least tried something, so i won't be a hypocrite and i have to respect that.
(still, her new look and personality came from movies, not DBS directly. Super just expanded it)

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:34 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Oh damn. I wasn't aware that "A Hero's Legacy" came out after the Baby arc and not the series. But that probably explains why the flashback at the beginning of the movie is Goku killing Baby and not his attack on the final dragon.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:38 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
PFM18 wrote: ...You are actually saying that Super didn't "make new ideas and introduce new protagonists to Z-team" as though GT did this better? are You serious?
And who did Super introduce to main cast? Beerus wasn't the real protagonist and he isn't even from Super, he is from DBZ movie, so i don't count him anyway.
I would argue he has had more time in Super than in the movies, which makes me believe he is more of a Super character than a Z one at this point. He was even given a differing personality at first that they developed towards his movie personality as Super went on, even if the whole personality thing wasn't needed in my opinion.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Other than that, entire cast consisted of old characters without any major change that would happen in 6 years since Buu saga, like Goten and Trunks actually growing up a bit.
OK, but has it been six years since the Buu saga?
sunsetshimmer wrote:GT had Pan and Uub + Giru who was completely new character in franchise.
As far as I can recall, Uub didn't do much in GT asides from his fight against Baby. He may have eliminated someone from the Super 17 saga, but it isn't anything special when even Pan could do it. Giru was useful at times, but was sidelined at times when it was damaged. Pan was annoying at times, in my opinion, and at times would be a load.
sunsetshimmer wrote:Goten and Trunks were adults and were completely different than they were before. And i'm 100% sure that DBS would try to make GT Trunks a clone of Future Trunks instead of giving him his own personality.
The same way they were at the end of Z, but otherwise OK.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Torturephile wrote:
As far as I can recall, Uub didn't do much in GT asides from his fight against Baby. He may have eliminated someone from the Super 17 saga, but it isn't anything special when even Pan could do it.
Oob was quite a support character in GT. People just think everyone who does not get a major kill is trash. He had a solid fight against Baby then contributed to stalling so Goku could power up as SSJ4 by immobilising Baby. During hell invasion he helped and during Dragon invasion he helped just liked the others as well.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:47 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Oh damn. I wasn't aware that "A Hero's Legacy" came out after the Baby arc and not the series. But that probably explains why the flashback at the beginning of the movie is Goku killing Baby and not his attack on the final dragon.
Dragon Ball GT's TV Special is "in-universely" said to take place one hundred years after Baby saga (AGE 889), not one hundred years after the Shadow Dragons saga too.
Torturephile wrote:OK, but has it been six years since the Buu saga?
Yes. While Majin Buu saga takes place in AGE 774, Universe Survival saga happens in AGE 780.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Cetra wrote:
Torturephile wrote: As far as I can recall, Uub didn't do much in GT asides from his fight against Baby. He may have eliminated someone from the Super 17 saga, but it isn't anything special when even Pan could do it.
Oob was quite a support character in GT. People just think everyone who does not get a major kill is trash. He had a solid fight against Baby then contributed to stalling so Goku could power up as SSJ4 by immobilising Baby. During hell invasion he helped and during Dragon invasion he helped just liked the others as well.
I dislike that way of thinking that you mentioned at the beginning of your post, though I always felt that Uub could have done more. I haven't watched GT in over ten years, so my memory of it is fuzzy.
Grimlock wrote:
Torturephile wrote:OK, but has it been six years since the Buu saga?
Yes. While Majin Buu saga takes place in AGE 774, Universe Survival saga happens in AGE 780.
Thank you.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Torturephile wrote: I dislike that way of thinking that you mentioned at the beginning of your post . . .
Which part?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy