What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 am

JulieYBM wrote:I'm not finished writing it, but here's what I'd do if I had only 50% control over the series. I had to toss out my original idea for an ending to the Tournament of Power after watching Episode #131 so I'm still working on how I'd incorporate that ending here. If you have the time give it a read. It's way too many characters to post in a single forum post. >_<
I scanned through it (because I'm supposed to be at work lol) but I really enjoyed what I read.
Only weird thing was the Zamasu / Black make out but that was minor lol

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I'm not finished writing it, but here's what I'd do if I had only 50% control over the series. I had to toss out my original idea for an ending to the Tournament of Power after watching Episode #131 so I'm still working on how I'd incorporate that ending here. If you have the time give it a read. It's way too many characters to post in a single forum post. >_<
I scanned through it (because I'm supposed to be at work lol) but I really enjoyed what I read.
I thought it really matched Zamasu's incredible narcissism to basically be capable of only loving himself. It's a love so intense and pure it transcends sexuality. It is--it simply is. So if Zamasu's going to merge with himself it really does feel like the ultimate expression of his love.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
I thought it really matched Zamasu's incredible narcissism to basically be capable of only loving himself. It's a love so intense and pure it transcends sexuality. It is--it simply is. So if Zamasu's going to merge with himself it really does feel like the ultimate expression of his love.
Well, putting it that way makes more sense. :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:14 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Well, putting it that way makes more sense. :thumbup:
The music choice was inspired by Re: Zero, by the way. A horrifying scene accompanied by a cover of a happy song seemed really fitting to me, so I thought it would be interesting to see reference to that. Could you just imagine such a happy song playing during the culmination of Zamasu's self-love? I wrote the visual idea of the merging to be somewhat like a Satou Jun'ichi or Ikuhara Kunihiko Sailor Moon transformation, too.

Another something I wanted to experiment with was using one new piece of classical music per arc to highlight certain scenes or characters. During the time I was writing this I discovered The Planets by Holst, so that played a part in some of the writing, too.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Wow, I like this a lot especially how Geran's fight, UI, USarc, and the Saiyan's god base are done. Two questions: By 50% control over the series do you mean as much as Toyotaro or Toei has? And what was your original ending for ToP?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 am

Helios518 wrote:
Wow, I like this a lot especially how Geran's fight, UI, USarc, and the Saiyan's god base are done. Two questions: By 50% control over the series do you mean as much as Toyotaro or Toei has? And what was your original ending for ToP?
I call it 50% control because I try to work within the idea that I still have to work under Toriyama's command and within certain set rules of the story. Obviously, I'd make an argument for other changes if I could, but yeah. My original ending would see #17 casually defeated by Jiren instead of just being nearly knocked out of bounds while Freeza would've waited until Gokuu and Jiren were unable to recover from their beam struggle before destroying the shards of the arena they were standing on to be the last one standing. I didn't finish writing because I didn't know how Toriyama was going to finish the arc. I essentially wrote everything after the Genki-dama around the time that #116 was airing, I think?

I'm of two minds of my plan. On one hand, I really put a lot of effort into doing new things for Dragon Ball, especially in the structure. On the other hand, I wish I had managed to compress the Tournament of Power into fewer episodes. Certainly, I'm happy that it's not a full fucking year...but even twenty-six episodes seems too long. On the other hand, I really felt like the Tournament of Power that I planned really made use of just about everyone as well as I could make use of them. Tenshinhan was a fucking pain in the ass to write because I couldn't really think of a compelling way to incorporate him into the story. Writing his flashback scene was really hard but ultimately I think I redeemed myself a little with the combination plays he was involved in.

Speaking of the flashbacks, I really wanted to make each arc feature different kinds of storytelling. For the Beers arc I wrote it to be very casual Dragon Ball, with the sort of lackadaisical feel of the 2008 JUMP Super Anime Tour Special. For the Golden Freeza arc I wanted to tell the story as much as possible from the point of Sorbet and those left behind after Freeza's death. I also wanted to make sure I did things not done in the film version, the television version and the comic version. As a result, I kept my boy Shisami and Tagoma in the game and also brought in Cold for Vegeta to fight. I also decided to have Gokuu and Vegeta present from the beginning of the fight as an homage to Dragon Ball Z Movie #3, which did something most arcs don't do by actually having Gokuu at the battle from the beginning. Because Gokuu had just "arrived at the last second" in the previous arc I felt it especially important to not repeat that.

For the Champa and Future Trunks arcs I specifically structured those arcs to work both as eight episode arcs and 160 minute movies. I didn't want the exhibition match with the Sixth Universe to be simple and straight forward like normal tournaments are. Oddly enough it's one field where it feels like Toriyama is lacking in surprises. For the battle with the Sixth Universe I wanted to focus on breaking another rule of Dragon Ball by having strength not play the overriding factor in deciding the fights. I like Majin Buu not qualifying for several reasons: he's not really interesting to watch in serious fights nor do you really root for him as a character. I also like putting the Seventh Universe at an immediate disadvantage. From there, I wanted Gokuu and the others to fight in poor condition. Gokuu rarely fights with really solid disadvantages, so I wanted to break his hand early on and force his fights to become more cruel like the Dark Tournament of Yuu Yuu Hakusho. Speaking of which, I had Champa and Beers constantly cheating and changing the rules on one another to keep the stakes unclear for the audience as another nod to the Dark Tournament. I also removed the Kaiou-ken, of course. I hate the Kaiou-ken at this point in the story because not only does it have no limits it places Vegeta below Gokuu. Gokuu and Vegeta because so close that it's unclear who has the advantage is keeps their rivalry going and adds an extra layer of mystery to the story. If we knew for sure that one was stronger was the other it'd be really boring.

You also touched up on my use of base. I love how the Golden Freeza arc had Gokuu and Vegeta basically appear to be Super Saiyan God-level in their normal forms. All a fight needs is one transformation. Very seldom you can pull off a new transformation but only if it takes over the role as the only transformation, as I had occur with the Mastery of Selfishness. Only one transformation is the answer to keeping the structure of fights feel taut. Of course, what good is a transformation if you can use it from the beginning? As a result, I set out to make Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan a one-time transformation initially. Gokuu and Vegeta having to properly scope out the flow of a battle and break out their only use of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan at just the right time keeps the fights from feeling like they're entirely in Gokuu's favor. Since I knew there would be a new form in the Tournament of Power I knew I would have to phase out Blue so I began weaving the story of how Blue would evolve. As a result, I borrowed from the comic the using of Blue like it was Kaiou-ken. I love Super Saiyan God but because Blue was introduced so quickly I felt like I never had a chance to use it. As a result, I included it in the first two episodes of the Golden Freeza arc to give it a slightly longer life. I liked the idea of seeing a well animated image training scene between Super Saiyan God Gokuu and his old foes, too, so I wanted to include that. I also wanted to show Super Saiyan God Vegeta so I decided that it would be a good idea to show a flashback during the Tournament of Power.

If the Champa arc was about keeping Gokuu and Vegeta constantly fighting against the odds I wanted the Future Trunks arc continue that a little. The Future Trunks arc is one I struggled with a lot to cut it down to eight episodes from the original nine. I'm still sad I couldn't include much of Present Trunks meeting the Future Trunks but stuff had to be cut to keep the story focused. Maybe I can find a way to remove the fight with Gokuu Black in the present? Speaking of things lost, I'm sad I had to lose Gokuu forfeiting the fight with Hit, but it seemed more fitting for Piccolo and Gokuu to fight Hit together and then for Piccolo to make use of Vegeta's wounding of Hit.

In one of my initial drafts I didn't introduce Zamasu during the Champa arc but I found that it would be more interesting to see Zamasu and Gowasu as more established characters before having the following arc focus on them. I wanted to see how Gokuu Black experienced the timeline a little more clearly than the cartoon or comic provided, so merging the two arcs a little seemed like a great idea.

One thing I've struggled with is the use of Vegetto. I really, really hate fusion and Potara merging. It doesn't fit our protagonists' personalities and I feel like it makes them too powerful too easily. I'm still considering ways to remove Vegetto and be more in line with Toriyama's original outline but it also feels sad to see Vegetto not fight Merged Zamasu. Kefla is my one favorite fusion because it really feels like a culmination of Caulifla and Kale's relationship. Their personalities really compliment one another and I don't feel like it clashes with their personalities to use merging. Gokuu just doesn't feel like the kind of guy to be okay with merging and Goten and Trunks just have no place in fighting anymore.

With the Tournament of Power I really, really wanted to pare it down, hence the flashbacks. I initially wanted to structure the episodes in a way that would show everything out of chronological order. I think doing that would have allowed for the viewer to experience the chaos from the perspective of the focus characters and allowed us to see some fights from more than one point of view. I initially tried to write the tournament so that none of the Seventh Universe characters would be removed from the tournament until what I guess would be my Episode #62 or #63 but the more I wrote the episodes the more I found that I was writing toward a natural conclusion for each character's arc in the tournament earlier than I had planned. While I really like the idea of keeping everyone in the tournament until the last second it would hurt the overall arc because episodes would run for a full exciting half hour without actual conclusions! Nevertheless, I'm very happy that I managed to avoid knocking anyone out from the main cast so soon in the tournament.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
She/Her
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:31 am

I think it would have been better to explore more Universe 7 before jumping to universe 6. In DB, a universe seems pretty small, we ran out of strong cannon enemies in the Buu arc, and there weren't many before him just Freeza, the Z movies focused more on the universe which was nice, it gave a sensation of inmensity and mystery, a place filled with demons and giant creatures and criminals. They could have introduced a real Monaka, a new u-7 character who only Whis knew how to reach because of how far away his planet was in the vast universe or whatever, perhaps U-7's Hit. It would have made Black Goku even scarier if he had killed that dude in the future when Goku-tachi struggled so much against him just two arcs ago, i don't know.
And it would've given the 10 fighters in the TOP a non-Z character, although I see they went for the Z vs Super and Z won...

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:12 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
Thanks, those were really insightful answers! I do have a few more questions.

1) Earlier, you mentioned that you would've liked to see Geran as this "Unknown force of nature for the characters to fear," is that what you had in mind for his character when revamping?

2) I found this one odd, but you had Omen Goku just master the form seemingly like nothing when confronting Geran once more. Is there any reason you did that or anything I just missed? Btw the whole "UI"O" Goku defeating Kafla, then just walking to Geran" is pretty damn badass.

3) Finally, where could I expect to see more of this when it's updated?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:30 am

Helios518 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Helios518 wrote: Wow, I like this a lot especially how Geran's fight, UI, USarc, and the Saiyan's god base are done. Two questions: By 50% control over the series do you mean as much as Toyotaro or Toei has? And what was your original ending for ToP?
Thanks, those were really insightful answers! I do have a few more questions.

1) Earlier, you mentioned that you would've liked to see Geran as this "Unknown force of nature for the characters to fear," is that what you had in mind for his character when revamping?

2) I found this one odd, but you had Omen Goku just master the form seemingly like nothing when confronting Geran once more. Is there any reason you did that or anything I just missed? Btw the whole "UI"O" Goku defeating Kafla, then just walking to Geran" is pretty damn badass.

3) Finally, where could I expect to see more of this when it's updated?
Yeah, I wrote Jiren as being a force of nature that the audience never really got a look at. Since ten characters from the Seventh Universe would be getting focus in this arc and other characters were seeing big development basically from the ground up (Kale, Caulifla) I thought it would be best if Jiren basically served only as a natural disaster of sorts. In natural disaster movies the antagonist doesn't really have a personality since it's just a natural disaster, right? Having Jiren be this thing that unites the entire team but also forces them to do introspection really seemed like the best option. Nevertheless, I do like what Nakamura and Tomioka were trying to do with Jiren in the anime proper. If the production schedule hadn't been in such chaos and Tomioka had been more hands-on I think Jiren's backstory would've worked out a lot better. I definitely wish that Vermouth's monologue hadn't been included. If Jiren's going to get a backstory it should be from Jiren's point of view. I really wanted to keep the Tournament of Power as short as possible, but if I can I'd like to try to make the last episode include Jiren's backstory. The thing is, I don't think I can include the character development that was included in Episodes #130-131. At this point it wouldn't really fit Jiren because I've made Jiren into such a well-collected fellow that he is capable of the Mastery of Selfishness. Damn, what a pickle...

For the Mastery of Selfishness I decided it would fit the structure best to simply have Omen serve as a mid-transformation. In reality the amount of time between Gokuu reaching Omen and then the full Mastery of Selfishness is really just mere seconds but because this is fiction I can use the storytelling elements of manpu and kairological time to stretch mere seconds into an entire episode if I like. I moved the Kefla fight to so much later in the story for a number of reasons. Having Gokuu missing or perhaps even dead after the Genki-dama built mystery about what had happened. That time also gave me the chance to focus on the other Seventh Universe members as well as give Gokuu and excuse to meditate to refine his ki flow and articulation, which would lead to him folding Blue into his base form like he had God at long last. Because I don't want Gokuu and Vegeta to not be on the same level I made sure to have Gokuu tracking what Vegeta was managing to pull off in his battle with Jiren. Gokuu and Vegeta's development should be simultaneous to maintain their rivalry. Their bodies should instinctively react to the improvements in the other and absorb that knowledge! I wrote this material before we learned on Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Evolution but since that form basically feels like it is just Vegeta's version of Super Saiyan Blue Kaiou-Ken Twenty-Times I don't feel bad not including it. In my mind, Vegeta's already obtained Omen and will attain Mastery of Selfishness whenever I write the final scene. The walk toward Jiren is a combination of that shot of Gokuu walking that Tate Naoki animated in Episode #110 combined with the long shots with no animation in Shin Seiki Evangelion.

I'll post back in this thread when I finish my next update. I'm going to Sakura Con tomorrow and I'm working today so I imagine I won't get a chance to sit down and toy with it until Saturday--if that. I'll just update this Paste Bin file so that the URL remains the same, too, if you want to regularly check the URL for a new update.
She/Her
bisexual milf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm

It's double posting, but just in case anyone's interested I did another big update to my 65 episode take on Dragon Ball Super. I mostly added a new bit for Episode #51 and then changed Episodes #58-65 to flew out a few new pieces. I figured I would get to the...naked truth of it.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:48 pm

One thing i will change (that the manga has actually done a great job at) its give jiren an interesting character, which they did, but at the last episode. He is the main threat after all, so at least make him interesting.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:One thing i will change (that the manga has actually done a great job at) its give jiren an interesting character, which they did, but at the last episode. He is the main threat after all, so at least make him interesting.
They should have hinted at his backstory more but I'm still like the backstory they gave Jiren.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:One thing i will change (that the manga has actually done a great job at) its give jiren an interesting character, which they did, but at the last episode. He is the main threat after all, so at least make him interesting.
They should have hinted at his backstory more but I'm still like the backstory they gave Jiren.
It was passible. The manga might flesh it out better

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:03 am

Jiren was interesting in that he didn't have a backstory or personality. That set him apart from the other Dragon Ball enemies. The story should've centered on the Seventh Universe's reaction to an unstoppable force, although that isn't to say I don't love what was done with Jiren in #130-131.
She/Her
bisexual milf

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
It was passible. The manga might flesh it out better
Maybe?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:08 am

All of my issues are on the production side.

Here's what I would've wanted. Some things are much more realistic than others.

-sufficient pre-production
-"seasons" rather than a continuously running serial
-adaptation of Toyotaro's DBS manga
-Shunsuke Kikuchi as the series musical composer
-sound effects by Hidenori Arai
-Tadayoshi Yamamuro can remain the character designer as long as he goes with the JSAT 2008 aesthetic. Otherwise...anyone else.
-if not the 2008 special aesthetic, color pallet based on the full-colored manga or some other manga-based color scheme
-no retelling of Battle of Gods or Resurrection F
Last edited by batistabus on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 am

batistabus wrote:All of my issues are on the production side.

Here's what I would've wanted. Some things are much more realistic than others.

-sufficient pre-production
-"seasons" rather than a continuously running serial
-adaptation of Toyotaro's DBS manga
-Shunsuke Kikuchi as the series musical composer
-sound effects by Hidenori Arai
-Tadayoshi Yamamuro can remain the series director as long as he goes with the JSAT 2008 aesthetic. Otherwise...anyone else.
-if not the 2008 special aesthetic, color pallet based on the full-colored manga or some other manga-based color scheme
-no retelling of Battle of Gods or Resurrection F
Yamamuro was the character designer, not one of the series directors.

But yeah, it's pretty fucking radical to think about how much better the series would've been if they have been working on episodes five months in advance like Pokemon does.
She/Her
bisexual milf

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 am

JulieYBM wrote:Yamamuro was the character designer, not one of the series directors.

But yeah, it's pretty fucking radical to think about how much better the series would've been if they have been working on episodes five months in advance like Pokemon does.
Yes, that's what I meant. Not sure what was going on in my head there.

I think that would make all the difference in the world, but I'm not sure how realistic that hope is moving forward. At any rate, they seem comfortable having DB off the air for at least the next year, so let's hope for the best.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:49 am

things i wished happened

- Piccolo fusing with the U6 nameks in the tournament and being the only namekian left in all the universes

- gohan being a more serious fighter and unlocking SSJ red (via the ritual)

- goten and trunks going to the ROSAT for a few days getting taller and aging and achieving ssj3 on their own

- Vegeta obtaining UI instead of his much weaker form

- fat boo actually fighting in the tournaments