What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Re: What do you wish was done differently now that Super is over?

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm

- More episodes and moments that are slice of life. My favorite parts of Super have been the lives of the cast like baseball, Vegeta's family vacation etc.

- No God Ki. It made power scaling absolutely atrocious, or at least not made Goku and Vegeta have it at all times and only have it in God forms like the manga.

- No Zeno erasing the universe at the end of the Zamasu arc. Trunks killing him with the power of mortals was symbolic and would've been an...ok ending? (I hate everything about the arc after Trunks's stupid transformation) instead we got wallpaper Zamasu and Zeno destroying the entire thing they were trying to save in the arc in 5 seconds.

- Make Frost a good Freeza. He was only really unique when he was percieved as a hero, then was kind of boring when he turned into Freeza Lite.

- Copy Vegeta episodes. Just...just get that away from me lol

- Make Majin Buu fight in the tournament's instead of falling asleep.

- No SSJ back tingles. Just make them transform off screen and not have a stupid reason instead, it's the one thing making me not like Caulifla.

There's other things, but I ain't got time for an entire list of 50+ things, there's a lot of things I would've changed.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 pm

-Make Goten, Trunks and Yamcha relevant
    -Remove the BoG and RoF arc
      -Make the climax of the Future Trunks arc better
        -Cut down the recruitment episode.

Akyon
        Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Logania wrote:- More episodes and moments that are slice of life. My favorite parts of Super have been the lives of the cast like baseball, Vegeta's family vacation etc.

- Make Frost a good Freeza. He was only really unique when he was percieved as a hero, then was kind of boring when he turned into Freeza Lite.
        I actually agree with these two a lot.

One other very minor thing; Gohan didn't get to interact with Toppo despite him being Great Saiyaman's spiritual brother. Bit of a waste that Gohan didn't get to be a big nerdo with U11 briefly. I kinda like hammy Gohan.
        Favourite User quote:
        Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
        1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Jackalope89
        Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Akyon wrote:
        Logania wrote:- More episodes and moments that are slice of life. My favorite parts of Super have been the lives of the cast like baseball, Vegeta's family vacation etc.

I actually agree with these two a lot.

One other very minor thing; Gohan didn't get to interact with Toppo despite him being Great Saiyaman's spiritual brother. Bit of a waste that Gohan didn't get to be a big nerdo with U11 briefly. I kinda like hammy Gohan.
        Hmmm, Toppo in a Great Saiyaman outfit....

I want it. :thumbup:

Exline
        Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:52 pm

prince212 wrote:Have a manga base to start with , expand and develop that story base . Like most of the anime
        I disagree. The idea of two continuities of the same story is brilliant imo. I love both the anime and Toyotaro's interpretation of Super events. We get even more Dragon Ball Content with this method, which is great! I also wouldn't trust that Toyotaro's manga would be the best version due to how amateurish his work can be at times, especially with the lack of creative powers and great choreography. However I won't lie, he is certainly improving, even storytelling wise.
        Koitsukai wrote:1- Trunks deserved the kill against Zamasu, they could have fit Zeno in the picture some other way, like killing immortal Zamasu spread his soul all over the universe corrupting it or whatever. It was just too good of a scene the one with Trunks criticizing Zamasu's justice idea before cutting him in half. Don't mind the timeline being erased, but Trunks's final stand was wasted.

4- A Beerus and Goku chat after the TOP regarding Goku's new power level. He clearly surpassed him, it would have been nice to hear Beerus acknowledge that or even dismiss it and say that he still is no match for him.

5- More screentime for Goten and Trunks and they should've looked a little older, Trunks at least.
        1 - Isn't that what happened? Lol? I'm fine with the F Trunks Arc ending with Zeno erasing his timeline, I feel Trunks should have died with his universe. It would've been a fitting end to Future Trunks honestly. His last moments would be trying to get Goku and Co. into his time machine so they don't get erased by Zeno. This would have at least made Super seem less safe than it keeps playing out to be tbh. Like honestly, what was the point of erasing his timeline only for a new one to be made?

That or have Future Trunks be apart of the main timeline and train with Supreme Kai. Would have been fun to see him in the Tournament of Power over one of the Earthlings. His wish could have been to revive his timeline. People would say that him being from a different timeline would startle Zen-Oh, yet everyone is ok with Future Zen-Oh.

4 - Yeah, I wish they had more time to touch on how him mastering Ultra Instinct affects Beerus. They apparently ignored it.
        Akyon wrote: 1 - Don't bother with the retellings. BoG's retelling was honestly awful, and whilst RoF gave us some fun Ginyu and Tagoma action for variation, it's ultimately pointless if the end result is the same.
        2 - Monaka was such a pointless plot point too, since Beerus was already Goku's goal he didn't need Monaka(and Monaka would be instantly forgotten afterwards anyway so) and stop wasting Majin Buu. Either have him fight, or bring Gohan, Krillin, Tien, Roshi or 18 to the U6 tournament in his place.[/b][/b][/b]
        3 - Have Krillin survive longer, not because he's my favourite, but because I desperately wanted to see him interact with 17, Frieza and Goku and Roshi and the potential of those conversations and team ups was completely wasted with him being thrown out so quickly. He can still be the first U7 fighter out and I think Frost was the correct person to defeat him, but the speed of which he is thrown out ruins the chances at interesting interactions!
        4 - Allow other characters outside Goku and Vegeta to defeat some opponents. It was getting ridiculous watching Goku jump into nearly every single fight. Hit Vs. Dyspo was a particularly annoying example as this was shaping up to be quite an interesting match up until Goku arrives. I also much preferred the handling of Universe 9's eliminations in the manga with Frost taking them on rather than Universe 7 taking them all out with relative ease.
        1 - I think the retellings should stay. However, they should be executed to better expain the concepts in the original movies. I even hope they do one for the new movie.
        2 - YES! Monaka was such an unneccesary gag. What was the point if Beerus was the one they were trying to compete with in terms of strength..? Majin Buu should have definitely been apart of this tournament. It would have made his dropout from the ToP much more interesting and worrisome.
        3 - I'm fine with Krillin being eliminated pretty early, but if you're going to eliminate these characters that have been with us since OG Dragon Ball, at least give them a proper send off. Everyone's eliminations have felt so weak and mundane. The only good eliminations were Roshi and Android 18. Everyone else's was so dumb and boring imo.
        4 -I'd rather say characters outside of U7 in general. I wish we got to see more of Cabba, Dr. Rota, Botamo, Magetta, and the Namekians. As well as Toppo especially. The man deserves at least one elimination.

1 - No God Ki. It made power scaling absolutely atrocious, or at least not made Goku and Vegeta have it at all times and only have it in God forms like the manga.

2 - No Zeno erasing the universe at the end of the Zamasu arc. Trunks killing him with the power of mortals was symbolic and would've been an...ok ending? (I hate everything about the arc after Trunks's stupid transformation) instead we got wallpaper Zamasu and Zeno destroying the entire thing they were trying to save in the arc in 5 seconds.

3 - Make Frost a good Freeza. He was only really unique when he was percieved as a hero, then was kind of boring when he turned into Freeza Lite.
        I disagree with all 3 of your points. God Ki is a new way for the other characters to get back their A-Game. Piccolo should definitely attain God Ki due to Kami being a God himself. It's mind boggling as to why Toriyama doesn't want to give Piccolo, his supposedly favorite character, a chance to get back into the spotlight.

And Frost being a good Frieza? Why does everyone want to see this? I see Frost an already interesting villainous character due to how cunning he is. It's already different to Frieza. Another Goody-Two shoes like Cabba will be so much more boring and I feel people fail to realize that.
        Akyon wrote: One other very minor thing; Gohan didn't get to interact with Toppo despite him being Great Saiyaman's spiritual brother. Bit of a waste that Gohan didn't get to be a big nerdo with U11 briefly. I kinda like hammy Gohan.
        YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH. I was expecting Gohan during the battle to pose like Toppo and it would weird out Android 17. Would've been hilarious imo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Logania
        Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:02 pm

Exline wrote: I disagree with all 3 of your points. God Ki is a new way for the other characters to get back their A-Game. Piccolo should definitely attain God Ki due to Kami being a God himself. It's mind boggling as to why Toriyama doesn't want to give Piccolo, his supposedly favorite character, a chance to get back into the spotlight.
        But no one else got God Ki except Goku and Vegeta for the show, sooooo...
        "I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

One_Instance
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 pm

[spoiler]∙MUCH longer pre-production

∙SSG needs wayyy more screen time (I'm praying it'll be around quite a bit in the new film and onwards. It's one of, if not, my favorite form)

∙Not playing that one song every time Goku goes Blue. It's okay sometimes, sheesh way to kill the dramatic effect that song was supposed to have

∙Having the ToP be a few arcs further down the line

∙Not having Vegeta bow down to Beerus every time they talk

∙Goku is as smart as he was at the end of Z, not before Roshi talk him the basics

∙Roshi isn't that strong, c'mon. It was nice to see though :P

∙Mafuba still kills people. I seem to be bothered by this more than other people, but I really don't like how it can be done willy-nilly now.

∙Writing that has a decent sense of comedic timing

∙Giving the Goku Black arc a better ending

∙Vegeta being harsher toward Cabba in the U6 tournament

∙Giving the next generation a bigger spotlight. Trunks and Goten felt like after thoughts at times.

∙Potara is still permanent. I'm aware I probably only want this because I've been used to the old rules for so long, but I really feel like potara lost it's spot as a last resort. There's no sacrifice now. Kefla could've been defused after U6 was brought back and Vegetto could by way of bad time travel science (or y'know, just not have him, sorry if this is an unpopular opinion :lol: )

∙Arack should either be designed by Toriyama or just given a more Dragon Ball looking design. He looks like a prophet from Halo.

∙Not having Roshi make me as an audience member uncomfortable... what were they thinking?? (I'm referring to his treatment of Puar and Yurin, he could've overcome perverseness in a much better way)

∙Getting to know the angels, hakaishin, and kaioshin from each, or at least some universes would've been nice (other than U6 and Gowasu)[/spoiler]
        Okay this list wasn't supposed to be nearly this long, but I forgot one of my things and I just kept thinking of new stuff while trying to remember (even though I never actually did).

prince212
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:47 pm

Exline wrote:
        prince212 wrote:Have a manga base to start with , expand and develop that story base . Like most of the anime
        I disagree. The idea of two continuities of the same story is brilliant imo. I love both the anime and Toyotaro's interpretation of Super events. We get even more Dragon Ball Content with this method, which is great! I also wouldn't trust that Toyotaro's manga would be the best version due to how amateurish his work can be at times, especially with the lack of creative powers and great choreography. However I won't lie, he is certainly improving, even storytelling wise.
        I agree , I meant “like most of the anime “ on the context of having a manga that comes ahead , but I like the method of two continuities with differences , based on the same story .
        I think that there’s no better version than the other , just personal preferences or tastes . Both super anime-manga can improve for sure , but I think that manga coming first can help more the anime than vice versa .
        It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

AnzuMazaki
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 pm

Spider-Man wrote:-Make Goten, Trunks and Yamcha relevant
          -Make the climax of the Future Trunks arc better
            -Cut down the recruitment episode.
            This.
            Yamcha should have been relevant alongside Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Roshi same with Trunks and Goten.
            DBS should not have jumped on the "Yamcha shiyagatte..." bandwagon the way it did.

and Trunks should not have lost everyone and be forced to live in an alternate timeline.

How I would have done Super differently:
            • Brought Back Lunch
            • Had the earthling characters age in the Dr. Slump crossover and included the Tsun Family
            • Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Roshi last longer in the Tournament, or had Yamcha in the TOP
            • Had earth filler in the TOP
            Not much else here as Super was good otherwise
            Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
            Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
            YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
            YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

Marlowe89
            Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:06 am

I wouldn't change the arc ideas themselves or the worldbuilding for that matter, they were great as-is for me. I'd just combine the manga's script and faster pacing with the anime's extra characterization and spotlighting, and maybe throw in a few more slice-of-life episodes between each individual arc to serve as fun little filler breaks. That's automatically giving each of the main transformations more purpose, dropping the weird ones like Super Saiyan Rage and (presumably) Super Saiyan Blue Evolution, and reducing Blue's overuse, only putting it into situations where it makes logical sense and fits the narrative. It's also fixing most of the consistency issues, of which the anime has plenty.

Honestly, just give Super the best of both worlds.

Hawk9211
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:29 am

-Develop the concept of god ki outside its godly powerful.
            -Move on from saiyan concept.
            -Do the retellings better.
            -Make U6 tournament longer.
            -Explore zamasu much more.He should go from good to conflicted to bad,don't start from conflicted.
            -Develop races and concepts outside the saiyans.
            -Before doing top,do arcs involving at least 4 universes.
            -Cut down recruitment arc.
            Why power levels are important?
            The genre and roots of dragon ball

MKCSTEALTH
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:37 am

I really wish they would have explored some of the fairly interesting sideplots, though they always can in a potential new series. My big gripes were:

1) The ending of the Future Trunks Arc
            2) The lore-building that seemingly went no where (i.e we learn about more universes, and although we got fighters from then we never really saw them in there entirety)
            3) Characters that were underutilized (namely Buu, Goten and Trunks, and Piccolo. Very upset we never saw a 17/Piccolo team up episode)

Freeza9000
            Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:50 am

Remove Whis's staff from existence. Rather, have the staff be in an arsenal for villains such as the likes of Goku Black or Zamasu.

Forte224
            Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 am

-Skip the BoG and RoF arcs altogether and keep the movies as the canon versions
            -Better, more consistent animation
            -A different art direction altogether, something a little more reminiscent of Z
            -Better planning, specifically with finales. The Goku Black arc finale in particular was just so poorly done
            -Goten and Trunks actually looking like they're aging a little
            -No more stinkin' week long breaks! Ooooooooooooo those drove me crazy

SSJ YUSUKE
            Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:07 am

Nothing really. Just change the timing of the tournament of power from 48 minutes to 24 hours. Goku needing to rest for a few hours to get back ultra instincted makes more sense then being able to do it in a few minutes.

Dragon Ball Gus
            Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 am

Okay, since people are talking about the production side of things, I would've had different opening songs for each arc of the series, you know, songs that fit the tone of the arcs, while still getting people hyped to watch those arcs. I mean hey, if they wanted to give us like 11 ending songs, I don't see the problem of having at least 5 opening songs. Just anything but having Chozetsu Dynamic for 4 arcs in a row. Like, come on guys, this isn't the 90's anymore.
            Caulifla best girl! :)

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:32 am

shadowmaria wrote:Kibito Kai not de-fusing
            Frieza going back to Hell
            Lol somebody want GT to be canon.

Dbzfan94
            Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:37 am

Kurakaio wrote:
            shadowmaria wrote:Kibito Kai not de-fusing
            Frieza going back to Hell
            Lol somebody want GT to be canon.
            Why does those two minor things mean "GT should be canon?"

JulieYBM
            Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:37 am

I have a lot of ideas but something I've been playing with lately is the idea of removing Gohan and Tenshinhan from the Tournament of Power and replacing them with Videl and Chi-Chi. I think the character interactions would've been more fun and those two are so played out that their mere presence is nauseating.
            She/Her💕 💜 💙
            progesterone princess, estradiol empress
            Lucifer's bimbo daughter