What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Dragono
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:58 pm

What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Postby Dragono » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:05 pm

By greatest achievement, I meant what is the best thing super ever did and what is the worst thing super ever did.

User avatar
Logania
Regular
Posts: 533
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Postby Logania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Best: Hit. He made Super all worth it, by far the coolest character they've introduced in Dragon Ball in a long time for me.

Worst: Copy Vegeta section of the anime. My God what is this.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10178
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Postby Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Upside-Making me care about Dragon Ball again.
Downside-Making me care about Dragon Ball again.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.


Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
Onibaku
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Postby Onibaku » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Worst thing - Some terrible ass animations here and there, sloppy art etc.
Best thing - The whole Goku Black arc and the character

User avatar
sintzu
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12817
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Postby sintzu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Best thing : Introducing the multiverse.

Worst thing : Retelling the movies.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Spider-Man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

Postby Spider-Man » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Best: Hit, Goku Black and Introducing the universes.
    Worst: Retelling the movies and Copy Vegeta.
    "Time to make the doughnuts"

    User avatar
    Asura
    I'm pretty cozy, here...
    Posts: 1919
    Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Asura » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 pm

    Best thing: Tournament of Power & Ultra Instinct
    Worst thing: Movie retellings & the writing for the whole show

    User avatar
    MKCSTEALTH
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
    Posts: 464
    Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:50 pm

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby MKCSTEALTH » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:54 am

    Best: Establishing the multiverse, as well as the Future Trunks Arc

    Worst: it's less than stellar writing, and lack of progressing past the end of Z to give us something truly unique with new stories that we wouldn't know the outcome

    User avatar
    KingKaash
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
    Posts: 398
    Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:58 am

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby KingKaash » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 am

    Greatest achievement = U6 characters. The 3 Saiyans, the 2 Nameks, Frost & especially Hit were enjoyable

    Greatest detriment = rushing some of the writing
    "Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

    User avatar
    SupremeKai25
    Regular
    Posts: 642
    Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:27 am

    Best achievement: Creating a villain that actually had a complex backstory and an elaborate motivation that goes beyond just 'wanting to conquer/destroy the world' (oh, and a young Supreme Kai gone rogue is one of the best concepts ever for a villain).

    Worst detriment: Giving that unique, creative and one-of-a-kind villain only 20 episodes of screentime. And of those 20 episodes of screentime, devote a lot of time to the trash Pilaf gang...
    Mortals do not succumb to evil, they are the evil. They create it and spread it with minds they shouldn't possess. How can we call ourselves gods if we watch this plight and do nothing to stop it?

    User avatar
    Bullza
    Kicks it Old-School
    Posts: 8046
    Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
    Location: UK

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Bullza » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:53 am

    Best - Bringing the whole fandom back as well as bringing in new fans, making it the most popular the franchise as ever been, worldwide at one single point.

    Worst - The first two Sagas giving it a poor reception.

    ssj4goku1992
    Newbie
    Posts: 20
    Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 pm

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby ssj4goku1992 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:15 am

    Best: Dragon ball again!
    Worst: Making it more childish than even the original Dragon Ball... Not even comparing it to the overall seriousness and mature tone of DBZ

    User avatar
    TekTheNinja
    I'm pretty cozy, here...
    Posts: 1637
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:36 pm
    Location: The realm of annoyance.

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby TekTheNinja » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:03 pm

    Greatest, and probably only achievement: The introduction of some interesting new characters, most notably, Hit.

    Biggest Detriment? Easy: Squandering almost EVERY option to utilize their massive cast, including shafting even the new characters like Hit. Instead, the flanderized, boring, and overpowered compared to almost everyone else Goku and Vegeta do nearly everything in the show.
    -A bitter fan of the human characters of Dragon Ball.
    Chris Sabat wrote:#YamchaForever


    saiyanvegetable wrote:Trunks slowly realizes this is not the past he came to when he fought Cell, instead he finds himself trapped in a world with hollow caricatures, a talking cat, and a Goku who beat the heart virus but is suffering from retardation.

    User avatar
    Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior
    Posts: 19429
    Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
    Location: A temple on a giant tree

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:46 pm

    Greatest Achievement: Propelling Dragon Ball into an era of immense success and guaranteeing more stories to be told in the near future

    Greatest Detriment: Exposing that a lot fans don't know a lot about Dragon Ball and can't handle Dragon Ball content on a once-a-week basis

    User avatar
    majinwarman
    I'm pretty cozy, here...
    Posts: 1537
    Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
    Location: Freeza Planet 1

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:52 pm

    Lord Beerus wrote:Greatest Achievement: Propelling Dragon Ball into an era of immense success and guaranteeing more stories to be told in the near future

    Greatest Detriment: Exposing that a lot fans don't know a lot about Dragon Ball and can't handle Dragon Ball content on a once-a-week basis

    Wow! I can't believe you said that about people.
    Majinwarman
    So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

    User avatar
    Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior
    Posts: 19429
    Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
    Location: A temple on a giant tree

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 pm

    majinwarman wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:Greatest Achievement: Propelling Dragon Ball into an era of immense success and guaranteeing more stories to be told in the near future

    Greatest Detriment: Exposing that a lot fans don't know a lot about Dragon Ball and can't handle Dragon Ball content on a once-a-week basis

    Wow! I can't believe you said that about people.

    I'm just calling it like I see it.

    User avatar
    majinwarman
    I'm pretty cozy, here...
    Posts: 1537
    Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
    Location: Freeza Planet 1

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:58 pm

    Lord Beerus wrote:
    majinwarman wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:Greatest Achievement: Propelling Dragon Ball into an era of immense success and guaranteeing more stories to be told in the near future

    Greatest Detriment: Exposing that a lot fans don't know a lot about Dragon Ball and can't handle Dragon Ball content on a once-a-week basis

    Wow! I can't believe you said that about people.

    I'm just calling it like I see it.

    You got confidence that's for sure!
    Majinwarman
    So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

    User avatar
    Marlowe89
    I'm pretty cozy, here...
    Posts: 1651
    Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Marlowe89 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 pm

    Kamiccolo9 wrote:Upside-Making me care about Dragon Ball again.
    Downside-Making me care about Dragon Ball again.


    Second post best post.

    User avatar
    Asura
    I'm pretty cozy, here...
    Posts: 1919
    Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:53 pm

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Asura » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:31 pm

    Lord Beerus wrote:Greatest Detriment: Exposing that a lot fans don't know a lot about Dragon Ball and can't handle Dragon Ball content on a once-a-week basis

    This is interesting, particularly that last part about people not being able to handle Dragon Ball on a once-a-week basis, I think that's absolutely true, especially for a massive arc like the ToP. I would be willing to bet that a decent chunk of the same people that binge-watched through the Namek arc with zero complaints were one of those who were very vocal about the pacing of this arc, and being upset that not every week was a fantastic spectacle. Z had plenty of episodes where literally nothing happened, but people who binge-watched the show didn't complain because they could watch the next episode right away. Hell, of the people I know and the people I've heard of who binge-watched the ToP (at least to catch up to where we currently were at the time) they really enjoyed it and didn't seem to have any complaints about the pacing.

    It's a massive arc, no doubt, and there are some issues in some areas where things go faster or slower than they should, but really it didn't feel any different than an arc of Z. It just felt like it lasted forever because you could only watch an episode a week, and a lot of people simply couldn't handle that.

    User avatar
    Kamiccolo9
    Namekian Warrior
    Posts: 10178
    Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm

    Re: What, IYO, is Super's greatest achievement and detriment in its whole run.

    Postby Kamiccolo9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:33 pm

    Asura wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:Greatest Detriment: Exposing that a lot fans don't know a lot about Dragon Ball and can't handle Dragon Ball content on a once-a-week basis

    This is interesting, particularly that last part about people not being able to handle Dragon Ball on a once-a-week basis, I think that's absolutely true, especially for a massive arc like the ToP. I would be willing to bet that a decent chunk of the same people that binge-watched through the Namek arc with zero complaints were one of those who were very vocal about the pacing of this arc, and being upset that not every week was a fantastic spectacle. Z had plenty of episodes where literally nothing happened, but people who binge-watched the show didn't complain because they could watch the next episode right away. Hell, of the people I know and the people I've heard of who binge-watched the ToP (at least to catch up to where we currently were at the time) they really enjoyed it and didn't seem to have any complaints about the pacing.

    It's a massive arc, no doubt, and there are some issues in some areas where things go faster or slower than they should, but really it didn't feel any different than an arc of Z. It just felt like it lasted forever because you could only watch an episode a week.

    I can confirm that watching the Freeza Arc as it aired on Toonami was a fucking chore. I can't remember if they were doing daily episodes at that point or not, but regardless, my 7-9 year old self was bored out of his mind. I dropped the show.
    Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
    Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
    Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.


    Malik_DBNA wrote:
    Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
    "Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"


    Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Chuquita, Lionel, RecolorSaiyan, Super Saiyan Swagger and 18 guests