What did you LOVE Most in the Universe Survival Arc?!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What did you LOVE Most in the Universe Survival Arc?!

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 pm

Mainly what the Subject head was about, Spreading the Love of What You Loved in the Universe Survival Arc the most/what came out of it?! :thumbup:

Some, but not all yet, for me where;

~The Intro to the Multiveres and the New Universes!
~The Unique Characters, Designs, Personia and Styles of the New Universe characters!
~A Major Increase of Female Warriors to the Dragon Ball Mythos!
~New Characters like Ribrianne, Kale, Toppo, Caulifla, Kakunsa, Pirina, Saonel & Rozie become some of My Favorite Characters in the DB Mythos!
~The Re-Intro and Character Development of long absent characters like Android 17 and 18 from the DB Fights!
~The Final Wish by Android 17!
~Episodes like 118 and how well Universes can go out with such lasting impact like U2 and U6!
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Logania
Regular

Re: What did you LOVE Most in the Universe Survival Arc?!

Post by Logania » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:33 pm

- Made me really like Android 17
- Sumitomo's music
- Limit Break X Survivor
- My boi Hit

That's pretty much it honestly. Most of the arc is just meh or forgettable for me, not much that will truly stick with me.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 pm

-The fact that it the hype was so big that Mexico screened episode 131 in front of a HUGE CROWD! It was like Christmas to me.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 pm

-The love Roshi, 18, and 17 got
-Jiren
-Caulifla, Kale, and Kefla
-The UI Goku vs Jiren battles
-Goku and Frieza teaming up

And a side one: Mexico treating the last few episodes like it was to be an MMA fight and going absolutely ridiculous. Just watching the videos on YouTube make me happy

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Love's a strong word. Much like the opposing "what did you hate about the Universe Survival arc?" thread, I'm a bunch of mixed emotions on this arc specifically, so...

The only thing I loved about this arc was the artwork by Yuya Takahashi. His throwback Buu Arc era drawings are beautiful and elevated the episodes they was featured in.

And, like the counterpart thread--

14 Things I really liked about the Universe Survival Arc (in no particular order) :
-Ultimate Battle (Ka ka ka ka kachi daze~)
-the team-up of 18, 17, and Goku
-playing "Spot all the Precure shout-outs" and "Spot the Sailor Moon shout-outs" with the Fireballs. I've been following Precure for a long time and it was Sailor Moon that got me into anime so I enjoyed Uni 2 for the most part (the execution wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good).
-Caulifla was cool. She's a character current me really likes, but kid me would've loved. In that regard she kind of arrived on the DB scene a bit late for me, but I'm still happy she's here. Kale's alright too, more so after her character arc now that she's become stronger mentally/emotionally.
-the 18 and Krillin team-up; they are a good couple.
-The opening song which initially I thought was only ok, but grew on me after a while. (I. Can't. Get. No. Sa-tis-fac-tion.)
-The background scenery in some of the recruitment episodes was gorgeous. 17's park, the rain battle with Krillin, that creepy forest he and Goku traveled through.
-Ultra Instinct (more so Omen, but also Mastered). I love power-ups where Goku's hair still looks like Goku's hair and not Vegeta's hair with bangs. Part of why I like ssjg so much.
-That fan-made edit where 17 actually does wish for the boat. Ajay retweeted it a while back; that gif made me laugh so hard the first time I saw it.
-Ending with Goku and Vegeta running away together to spar because everything about that's right up my alley.
-Freeza hamming it up; ohohohos and oops my hand slipped for days. With how boring the actual Uni 11 antagonists of this arc were to me, I needed someone who was both an antagonist and entertaining to keep things running and Freeza did the job.
-Vegeta cheering Goku on makes me happy.
-If it still counts as part of the arc, that scene in the Hit two-parter where Goku's on a swing at night. That was sweet.
-Mexico's airing of that final episode; the clips I saw of the crowds, so cool!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:40 pm

-Caulifla, Kale, Toppo, The Kamikaze Fireball, Trio De Dangers and Katopesla
    -Limit Break X Survivor
      -Android 17 was enjoyable
        -Master Roshi was also great
          -Goku, 17 and 18 team-up
            -Ultra Instinct, the forms looks really cool
              -Goku vs Jiren in the special
                -Frieza and Goku Teaming up aggainst Jiren
                  -The ending
                    -The animation in some episode looks fantastic
                      -Goku and Hit Vs Dyspo and Kunshi
                        -Goku vs Caulifla and Kale in EP 114 as well Kefla in 116.

DHM211
                        Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:54 pm

- Ultra Instinct Omen: Easily my favorite transformation in all of DB.
                        - The Soundtrack: Continues from the amazing music we got in the FT arc.
                        - The Animation: Episodes 109/110, 130, 131, amongst others. Definitely has some of the best animation out of any of the DB series.
                        - Frieza.
                        - Android 17.

Torturephile
                        Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:41 am

The animation and art was generally better than in the previous arcs, and so was the music thanks to all the new tracks introduced since the arc's beginnings. Some of the new characters like Toppo have been a addition to my favorites, and some of the old characters like Roshi, Freeza, and 17 have been a delight as well.
                        From Super episode 113 thread:
                        MaskedRider wrote:
                        Torturephile wrote:
                        hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
                        namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
                        The fandom in a nutshell.
                        The duality of man.

Jackalope89
                        Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:02 am

Some old favorites got one last hurrah (even if it was "meh" with certain members), some brand new characters that arrived with a bang (literally, in some cases, lol), incredible fight scenes, and set up for future arcs (looking at you, U6). And the art, especially in certain episodes, man. And can't forget, Goku and FREEZA, of all people, teaming up to beat Jiren once and for all.

Just a little disappointed that Great Saiyaman and Toppo never got to pose together, though.

Cetra
                        I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am

Chuquita wrote:
                        Wasn't that the thing for which Toei sent a message that this should not happen?
                        "Citation needed."
                        "too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SupremeKai25
                        I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:46 am

- The Universal erasure scenes. You cannot imagine how satisfying it felt to watch fodder garbage like Universe 2, Universe 4 and Universe 9 get erased;
                        - The fact that they used a remix of Zamasu's theme in ep. 110;
                        - That one flashback to Infinite Zamasu right after Universe 9's erasure.

That's pretty much it.

namekiansaiyan
                        I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 am

Most of all the new characters I like which are Jiren, Toppo, Dyspo, Trio de Dangers, Saonel and Pirina.

Toppo vs Frieza

Nearly everything Jiren done as I think he was the best thing about this arc.

Chuquita
                        Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 am

Cetra wrote:
                        Chuquita wrote:
                        Wasn't that the thing for which Toei sent a message that this should not happen?
                        Something like that? I think they ended up watching it live via Crunchyroll? I'm not the person to ask, sorry. I didn't keep the closest tabs on it that I could've since it wasn't something I could've attended anyway.

The clips I saw on Twitter of the event were of the crowd reacting to scenes.
                        My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
                        ---
                        フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Grimlock
                        Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:36 am

• Limit Break x Survivor.
                        • All Super Saiyan 2 fights.
                        • Caulifla and Kafla.

That's pretty much it.
                        Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Beerus-sama
                        Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 am

-The art and coloring was pretty cool
                        - The Opening and endings
                        - The insert song
                        - That kick Goku gave Jiren to throw him down of the stage but still survived :P
                        - New characters like Kaulifla, Kefla and other minor characters like Majora and the bunny from U9 (which I forgot her name :P )
                        - Some jokes like the last three members of U2 that transformed with Ribriane and co. outfits was so fun and unexpected. I also liked Maji kaajo.
                        - 17's return and how he was handled through all the tournament.
                        - Freeza helping U7
                        - Last episode was so cool with Freeza and Goku's combo to take Jiren out and 17 making the wish giving up his boat for saving all the universes.
                        Sleeping until the tournament is over.

sintzu
                        Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 am

The thing I love the most is the idea of a multiverse tournament however I think there should've been more build up before doing it. What they did get right was Goku's final fight with Jiren, that was the best fight in all of DB.
                        July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SingleFringe&Sparks
                        I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 am

>The Insert Song for UI omen.
                        >The Opening Theme & Animation (Easily best of Super)
                        >The Ultra Instinct Omen fight (Not the White haired form),
                        >Kale & Caulifla (Just their real depiction of teamwork & sincere dynamics, outside the scaling debates)
                        >Kale's character growth & her mastering her berserk power into an SS2-esc form.
                        >Zeno's responses to the fights.
                        >Gohan's character in the arc was well done. Fighting for family and concerned about the families of others now.
                        >Vegeta stating he wants his own path to power, (Though SSBE was dumb).
                        >Freeza, everything he said. Great dialogue for him, felt like his personality is a bit more dimensional now.
                        >Cabba's fights were generally good. Not bad enough to have issue with. Passable.
                        >Ribrianne. Controversial though I don't know why people outside this site dislike her so much. I disliked her teammates actually. She had a lot of 'Fat' Buu vibes.
                        >Roshi's fights, though scaling again is off but also to me had the most sincerity to it.

As much as I hate when people do this stuff, (cherrypicking moments, then claiming the whole arc was good because of them), these were just small instances of things I thought they writers did right with the characters they had. I couldn't say I loved the arc from it though. Its a strong word as said by another user. I still loathe this arc but there are things I thought were good establishments that could be used for character points later in the overall series for improvement, but these are very very small instances.
                        Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Lord Beerus
                        Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:17 pm

- The new opening song Limit Break x Survivor. As well as the animation for it
                        - Sumitomo's musical score
                        - Beerus's characterization
                        - Majin Boo actually fighting in a legit battle
                        - Gohan's regaining his Ultimate form while his character flaw were addressed
                        - Goku sparring and training with Krillin and Gohan in the recruitment phase
                        - #17's comeback episodes and performance in the Tournament Of Power
                        - Freeza's comeback episodes and performance in the Tournament of Power
                        - Piccolo and #17 burying the hatchet and becoming allies
                        - Caulifla
                        - Kale's character arc
                        - #18 and Krillin teaming up
                        - Everything Roshi did in the Tournament Of Power
                        - The Earthlings teaming up and eliminating fighters and saving their own
                        - #17 and #18 teaming up
                        - Everything Zeno said or did
                        - Jiren (Yeah, I said it.)
                        - Ultra Instinct
                        - The Ultimate Battle insert song
                        - Yuya Takahashi
                        - Naoki Tate
                        - Futoshi Higashide
                        - Everything (writing, direction and animation) about Episodes 79, 80, 81, 82, 84, 86, 90, 94, 95, 104, 109, 110, 114, 116, 117, 118, 121, 122, 125, 128, 129, 130 and 131

PFM18
                        Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:23 pm

I would really have to gather my thoughts and come up with everything I like about it because there is a lot. I will probably edit this post and come up with a bunch of stuff when I have time
                        sintzu wrote:The thing I love the most is the idea of a multiverse tournament however I think there should've been more build up before doing it. What they did get right was Goku's final fight with Jiren, that was the best fight in all of DB.
                        I vehemently agree. I have rewatched Goku vs Vegeta,Goku vs Freeza, and Goku vs both Piccolos and it isn't even close Jiren and Goku is the best ever by far

Cure Dragon 255
                        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Chuquita wrote:Love's a strong word. Much like the opposing "what did you hate about the Universe Survival arc?" thread, I'm a bunch of mixed emotions on this arc specifically, so...

The only thing I loved about this arc was the artwork by Yuya Takahashi. His throwback Buu Arc era drawings are beautiful and elevated the episodes they was featured in.

And, like the counterpart thread--

14 Things I really liked about the Universe Survival Arc (in no particular order) :
                        -Ultimate Battle (Ka ka ka ka kachi daze~)
                        -the team-up of 18, 17, and Goku
                        -playing "Spot all the Precure shout-outs" and "Spot the Sailor Moon shout-outs" with the Fireballs. I've been following Precure for a long time and it was Sailor Moon that got me into anime so I enjoyed Uni 2 for the most part (the execution wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good).
                        -Caulifla was cool. She's a character current me really likes, but kid me would've loved. In that regard she kind of arrived on the DB scene a bit late for me, but I'm still happy she's here. Kale's alright too, more so after her character arc now that she's become stronger mentally/emotionally.
                        -the 18 and Krillin team-up; they are a good couple.
                        -The opening song which initially I thought was only ok, but grew on me after a while. (I. Can't. Get. No. Sa-tis-fac-tion.)
                        -The background scenery in some of the recruitment episodes was gorgeous. 17's park, the rain battle with Krillin, that creepy forest he and Goku traveled through.
                        -Ultra Instinct (more so Omen, but also Mastered). I love power-ups where Goku's hair still looks like Goku's hair and not Vegeta's hair with bangs. Part of why I like ssjg so much.
                        -That fan-made edit where 17 actually does wish for the boat. Ajay retweeted it a while back; that gif made me laugh so hard the first time I saw it.
                        -Ending with Goku and Vegeta running away together to spar because everything about that's right up my alley.
                        -Freeza hamming it up; ohohohos and oops my hand slipped for days. With how boring the actual Uni 11 antagonists of this arc were to me, I needed someone who was both an antagonist and entertaining to keep things running and Freeza did the job.
                        -Vegeta cheering Goku on makes me happy.
                        -If it still counts as part of the arc, that scene in the Hit two-parter where Goku's on a swing at night. That was sweet.
                        God, I knew there was a reason for you being one of my most fave Kanzenshuu members!
                        Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
                        90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: