Does the dub fix or add problems?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Does the dub fix or add problems?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 am

So while I am rewatching the series dubbed, I feel like it fixes one of my issues I had with the series and that has been Goku. While yes Goku is simple, I don't think he's a big idiot that the anime makes him out to be or exagerates as much. I feel like the dub of Super while still playing with the goofy moments, tones down what Toei has done with the character. Thats just me though, do you guys think the anime fixes any problems you had or do they just add more trouble?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does the dub fix or add problems?

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 am

You're going to catch a lot of flak from purists, but I agree the dub does fix some of the issues Super has, particularly with how obnoxiously one dimensional Goku has become. It's like they took his true personality and took it up to a factor of ten, and that's not the only issue. It's ironic to say this, but I honestly think Funimation would write this show way better than Toei has, especially with how dismal the TOP turned out.

They're never going to be able to fix Super's core issues entirely, but at the very least it makes the show more tolerable to watch. Something I like is that it takes itself less seriously than the sub, especially considering how ridiculous the show becomes later. For instance, Krillin's sarcastic "oh joy, he's getting stronger" is something I'm sure some purists grit their teeth at, but a welcome joke given how often we hear "HES GETTING STRONGER!" to the point where it becomes an eyeroll

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:37 am

The dub is a lot worse than the Japanese version if you ask me.
Poor voice direction, poor scripting and translations, and questionable casting choices fill the dub.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 am

I wouldn't say it does either. It's just a competent dub that occasionally takes some harmless liberties. The core is still intact.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 pm

One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m enjoying the dub of Super a lot more than the sub. I really do have to agree with Diccolo-420 and GreatSaiyaJeff—Goku’s characterization is amended in the dub which makes him more enjoyable and not so one-note. It doesn’t fix all the problems I have with the series but the way it handles the characters certainly helps.

I personally don’t mind if a few liberties are taken with the dub, particularly if they improve or fix an error. This is obviously always going to be a hot topic but so long as the basic premise and core is kept in tact, I’m happy.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:42 pm

Also while didn't care much for the Jelly Vegeta arc in the original, the dub made that actually enjoyable.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I'm used to it so for me it's the better option as I think it makes the scripts and characters better.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:15 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:The dub is a lot worse than the Japanese version if you ask me.
Poor voice direction, poor scripting and translations, and questionable casting choices fill the dub.
This is how I feel. The voice direction makes the older voices sound inferior to their Kai 1.0 performances, and the new voices are extremely hit or miss. The script changes are annoying as well, especially when you hear the line and just go "Why? There was no need to change that. For lip flaps or anything."

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:58 am

What do you guys mean exactly by voice direction?

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 am

Forte224 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:The dub is a lot worse than the Japanese version if you ask me.
This is how I feel. The voice direction makes the older voices sound inferior to their Kai 1.0 performances, and the new voices are extremely hit or miss. The script changes are annoying as well, especially when you hear the line and just go "Why? There was no need to change that. For lip flaps or anything."
Do you mind saying which new casting you think has been bad, because I don't think a single new actor has done a poor job on the show, specifically not Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair as Beerus and Whis respectably.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 am

It fixes all the annoying Nozawa traits, the stupid atatatatata's and waaaaaaaaaa's. On the whole the English actors feel like they're more putting effort into it, the JPN older cast too often it feels like they're just going through motions this is apparent with Nakao, one week he'd put a decent performance the next week he'll phone it in. And being adapted for westerners makes the dub so much fun to watch.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 am

nato25 wrote:
Do you mind saying which new casting you think has been bad, because I don't think a single new actor has done a poor job on the show, specifically not Jason Douglas and Ian Sinclair as Beerus and Whis respectably.
Zamasu sounds too old and Gowasu is just plain bad, and of course we have them casting a meme text to speech robot for Magetta.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It fixes all the annoying Nozawa traits, the stupid atatatatata's and waaaaaaaaaa's. On the whole the English actors feel like they're more putting effort into it, the JPN older cast too often it feels like they're just going through motions this is apparent with Nakao, one week he'd put a decent performance the next week he'll phone it in. And being adapted for westerners makes the dub so much fun to watch.
The Japanese VAs are in top form in Super, the voice over is outstanding. The English dub just sounds forced and unnatural.
Nakao was perfect in Super.
Asura wrote:What do you guys mean exactly by voice direction?
The voice director is in charge of making sure inflections, tone and emotions are right. Super's English voice direction is all over the place, some times it's great, other times it's just okay, but there are way, WAY too many instances of lines being read entirely wrong and messing up scenes. It doesn't help that the script is bad, and not just because of the dumb inserted jokes, mistranslations and stuff changed for seemingly no reason, but also because they often change lines in a such a way that makes them even harder to fit into mouth flaps, causing the actors to have to say the line in weird ways to make it fit even though it would have been easier to just properly modify the line to make it fit. In general in the average dialogue the voices just don't sound natural, and then we have issues like Future Trunks not even sounding like a person.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 am

"Hold your fire! This man isn't Black!"

I would say it adds its own amusing things.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 am

ArchedThunder wrote: The Japanese VAs are in top form in Super, the voice over is outstanding. The English dub just sounds forced and unnatural.
New characters I'd agree but old cast no way. Nozawa is nothing like her prime and her stupid screams ruin scenes and take you out of it. How are you suppose to take a scene seriously when all you here is waaaaaaaaah when Goku gets knocked back? Like what a woeful decision that was. #18 is just horrible her VA feels she's have a crap whenever she screams it's really off putting. Nakao was far from perfect, he's been all over the place one week good next week you're like really? Example when all of U7 were attacking Aniraza Nokao did the one worst sounding screams I have ever heard.

Kusao is the only one from the old cast that was excellent as Future Trunks. And #17 too.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote: The Japanese VAs are in top form in Super, the voice over is outstanding. The English dub just sounds forced and unnatural.
New characters I'd agree but old cast no way. Nozawa is nothing like her prime and her stupid screams ruin scenes and take you out of it. How are you suppose to take a scene seriously when all you here is waaaaaaaaah when Goku gets knocked back? Like what a woeful decision that was. #18 is just horrible her VA feels she's have a crap whenever she screams it's really off putting. Nakao was far from perfect, he's been all over the place one week good next week you're like really? Example when all of U7 were attacking Aniraza Nokao did the one worst sounding screams I have ever heard.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:31 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Asura wrote:What do you guys mean exactly by voice direction?
The voice director is in charge of making sure inflections, tone and emotions are right. Super's English voice direction is all over the place, some times it's great, other times it's just okay, but there are way, WAY too many instances of lines being read entirely wrong and messing up scenes. It doesn't help that the script is bad, and not just because of the dumb inserted jokes, mistranslations and stuff changed for seemingly no reason, but also because they often change lines in a such a way that makes them even harder to fit into mouth flaps, causing the actors to have to say the line in weird ways to make it fit even though it would have been easier to just properly modify the line to make it fit. In general in the average dialogue the voices just don't sound natural, and then we have issues like Future Trunks not even sounding like a person.
Do you have examples of some of this stuff? I haven't watched that much of the English dub, but there's definitely one instance of weird direction and script changes that stood out to me, which is when Goku Black appears for the first time after injuring Mai and Trunks goes "You kiiillleeed heeeeeerrrrrrrr". It sounded really awkward and laughable, the original jap line was just "You bastard...!" so I have no idea why they decided to change it, especially when the lip flaps would have fit "You bastard...!" perfectly fine.

What do you mean by Trunks not sounding like a person though?
Cetra wrote:"Hold your fire! This man isn't Black!"

Oh wow, that's horribly hilarious.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 pm

I don't know about fixing things besides making Goku a lot more tolerable, but I'm enjoying the dub a lot more than the sub. The dialogue is a lot more fun, the performances during the fights are a lot more engaging and hype (like Gokus Kaioken x10 in the dub is so much better) and I'm just enjoying the characters a lot more.

Jason Douglas's Beerus and Ian Sinclair's Whis alone gives the dub major bonus points, they've been so good in the dub while I didn't care much for them in the sub.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:04 am

It's much, much better than the "darn"-ridden dub of Z, much closer to the source material also. I'm very happy they're not going out of their way to make it kid-friendly this time. A good dub to be sure. Do I enjoy it more than the original? I kinda do in fact (not to bash the original of course). I never looked at it in terms of fixing issues though, all I care about is fidelity to the original. So far the liberties taken were indeed harmless, which is good.

Something bothers me about Future Trunks' voice though. He sounds way too aggressive and intense at all times, it's not subtle at all. It also contrasts with his pansy-boy characterization quite a bit, making it quite jarring.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 am

Cetra wrote:"Hold your fire! This man isn't Black!"

The dub didn't add that. Almost that exact line is in the original

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:22 am

It's mostly the same except the voice for Goku is much better because he doesn't sound like a grandma anymore. Also yeah some of the nothing ATATATATA things have been removed.