Is Ultra Instinct Goku’s final transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Is Ultra Instinct Goku’s final transformation?

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:51 am

I can’t imagine much being able to surpass it, it seems like it’s built up to be the ultimate transformation. The only way I can see them giving Goku new transformations is to give him ones that are stronger than SSB but weaker than UI.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Is Ultra Instinct Goku’s final transformation?

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:15 am

I say he won't be able to use it when he wants for a long time so I predict other transformations weaker. Jiren will probably stay the strongest for a long time.

There probably will be somethinh added to Ultra Instinct way in the future.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:39 am

No. As long as Dragon Ball keeps going, Goku will get more and more transformations/recolors, and sometimes Vegeta too.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 am

I hope so. Id really like to have them bring the focus less on power, but rather technique again. Have him travel to these other universes and learn styles of fighting to combat threats instead of different hair colors

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:16 am

If the story keeps going then no.

I could see them stacking SSJ on top of it.

CWCprime

Post by CWCprime » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Grimlock wrote:No. As long as Dragon Ball keeps going, Goku will get more and more transformations/recolors, and sometimes Vegeta too.
Agreed. No way is UI the final transformation. As you said, as long as Dragon Ball continues, so will new transformations. Even though a certain transformation may feel like the ultimate form, they (Toriyama/Toei) will find a way to make a new transformation work into the story. Look at the original SSG. At the time, that seemed like the ultimate form that couldn't be surpassed. Now look where we are. Not only that, they are great for marketing/merchandise.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Ultra Instinct does seem like an appropriate final transformation - and I hope it is - but I can't see his forms stopping there if Goku's story continues long after this point. I'm still not convinced that's guaranteed to happen though, just as I initially wasn't convinced that the anime would keep airing after the Universe Survival arc, so I guess we'll see how accurately my hunches continue to reflect the franchise's future. Personally, I think we've fulfilled so much earlier foreshadowing and expanded on so many things in the current series that I'd honestly rather see something completely new in Dragon Ball going forward.

At the moment, all we have is speculation. The Super anime has concluded (at least for now) and we don't really know what Toei's future plans entail after the movie in December. The manga is the only serialization ongoing at the moment, and as much as I'd like to interpret Toriyama's recent comment as suggesting that it will continue past the Tournament of Power, it could have equally meant that it's just continuing past the air date of the final episode as a way of saying "Hey, there's also this other adaptation of my stories you should check out!". Whether we get to see a new transformation for Goku specifically will have to depend on the direction they take for the character. Nothing short of a formal confirmation is set in stone aside from the things that already came to a close.

So I guess my (admittedly terrible) answer to this question is just a big, uneventful "maybe". It really is kind of a toss-up.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:00 pm

I think as long as DB continues, Goku will always have new transformations.

It was not only the Ultra Instinct that received a lot of hype, the same happened to the SSGSS in the RoF movie (looking like it was Goku's final form).
It was said that SSGSS was Saiyan's ultimate form, the complete evolution limit breakthrough, power that the world never seen before, which exceeds not only the legend, but the myth, that Goku finally entered the world of Super Saiyans God, and various other things. But in the end, we saw that both Goku and Vegeta got new transformations that surpassed the SSGSS

Scans saying this

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 pm

These transformations bring in too much $$$ so no, not as long as the franchise keeps going.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:39 pm

CWCprime wrote:Look at the original SSG. At the time, that seemed like the ultimate form that couldn't be surpassed. Now look where we are. Not only that, they are great for marketing/merchandise.
SSG doesn't have any unique properties to it though really, it's just like every other transformation, all it does is make you more powerful. Ultra Instinct doesn't work like any other transformation, it lets you dodge almost every single attack. How do you get a transformation that's stronger than that?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:25 am

I assume there is nothing stopping Goku getting forms between SSGSS and UI since he can't activate UI of free will yet, so I would say yes and no. Yes UI is probably the highest peak for him but no he will probably get some more transformations until he can access UI at free will.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:17 pm

No, I believe he'll get weaker, but more sustainable forms. As we saw in 130, MUI really hurt Goku, and Whis attributed it to "the limit breaking power of the gods". I don't see that as something he'll master, but rather a limitation so it can't be used whenever he feels like it. Because at this point, not using MUI as a solution to everything can really only be attributed to strict limitations, or a memory wipe that he can even do it.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:24 am

Well, IMO I'm sure Goku should be able to go back in UI form, since he's done it like 3 times within 40 minutes. The only reason he says he wasn't able to "do" it is because of plot. How the heck can Goku not go back into UI if both Whis and Beerus commented that the form he used is the "MASTERED" form of the UI technique??? Makes no sense. You cannot say they mastered something and then they say they cannot do it again, then it wasn't really mastered at all? It's all due to plot for whatever the story makers want it to be.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:44 am

Asura wrote:
CWCprime wrote:Look at the original SSG. At the time, that seemed like the ultimate form that couldn't be surpassed. Now look where we are. Not only that, they are great for marketing/merchandise.
SSG doesn't have any unique properties to it though really, it's just like every other transformation, all it does is make you more powerful. Ultra Instinct doesn't work like any other transformation, it lets you dodge almost every single attack. How do you get a transformation that's stronger than that?
Combines it with Super Saiyan or kaioken, like Goku did with SSG.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Sonofman wrote:Well, IMO I'm sure Goku should be able to go back in UI form, since he's done it like 3 times within 40 minutes. The only reason he says he wasn't able to "do" it is because of plot. How the heck can Goku not go back into UI if both Whis and Beerus commented that the form he used is the "MASTERED" form of the UI technique??? Makes no sense. You cannot say they mastered something and then they say they cannot do it again, then it wasn't really mastered at all? It's all due to plot for whatever the story makers want it to be.
"Mastered" is a bit misleading. A more accurate way of saying it would be "Complete", much like Complete SSB in the manga.

It's "complete" because Goku has learned how to utilize the Ultra Instinct to its fullest...... when he can actually tap into it. He has yet to "master" it in the sense that can't call upon it at will, nor can he endure its strain for too long.

===

As for the actual topic at hand, I sincerely hope it is.

Something that I think would be a cool idea, though, would be Goku expanding on the Ultra Instinct's fighting style. Sure, in its current state, it's quite effective. However, perhaps there are "levels" to it that depend not on strength, but instead on martial arts prowess; think learning how to more effectively punch and kick, or even using pressure points, unconsciously.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:38 pm

We're not lucky enough for it to be the last one.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:40 pm

I've been hoping Goku's 'final' transformation is actually final since Super Saiyan.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:51 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Sonofman wrote:Well, IMO I'm sure Goku should be able to go back in UI form, since he's done it like 3 times within 40 minutes. The only reason he says he wasn't able to "do" it is because of plot. How the heck can Goku not go back into UI if both Whis and Beerus commented that the form he used is the "MASTERED" form of the UI technique??? Makes no sense. You cannot say they mastered something and then they say they cannot do it again, then it wasn't really mastered at all? It's all due to plot for whatever the story makers want it to be.
"Mastered" is a bit misleading. A more accurate way of saying it would be "Complete", much like Complete SSB in the manga.

It's "complete" because Goku has learned how to utilize the Ultra Instinct to its fullest...... when he can actually tap into it. He has yet to "master" it in the sense that can't call upon it at will, nor can he endure its strain for too long.

===

As for the actual topic at hand, I sincerely hope it is.

Something that I think would be a cool idea, though, would be Goku expanding on the Ultra Instinct's fighting style. Sure, in its current state, it's quite effective. However, perhaps there are "levels" to it that depend not on strength, but instead on martial arts prowess; think learning how to more effectively punch and kick, or even using pressure points, unconsciously.
They should probably re-translate the anime subs then since that's how I saw it as and probably many others too. I assumed that Goku had obtained this form just like he obtained his SS form when he first used it. But, I guess plot takes it away for something possibly better than UI in the future.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:04 pm

It could also be that Ultra Instinct needing to be mastered in terms of ability to call upon it at will and reduce its strain will be how they handle new forms.

Not that I think it's a good idea, but it's certainly something. I mean, a lot of us around these forums didn't think that Ultra Instinct Omen would change Goku's hair colour from black to silver upon being completed, especially since many of us really liked the simplicity of Omen compared to its completed version.

So, whilst I personally wouldn't prefer it, maybe learning to better control/utilize the Ultra Instinct will lead to more forms.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 pm

I sure hope so. Given the merchandise heavy nature of the franchise, however (and yes, the franchise does have a lot of merchandise, that’s just how children’s entertainment is) I don’t know if that’s likely.

At the very least, I can’t imagine how they would be able to have Goku surpass Ultra Instinct without making him so ridiculously overpowered to the point where nothing short of an angel should be a credible threat for him. Ultra Instinct has pretty explicitly been stated to be greater in power than the Gods of Destruction.