Scenes like this make me appreciate Goku's character a lot more.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Scenes like this make me appreciate Goku's character a lot more.

Post by Khandom101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Goku reenacting his fight with Granpa Gohan. It's sad to see how the majority of the fan base failed to notice this beautiful reference. This scene when understood is amongst the most heart wrenching scenes in the entirety of dragon ball.

How can something be so subtle yet want to make you shed a few tears. Goku's the type of character who rarely has moments of vulnerability and to see him cope with his emotions with the only way he knows just makes me appreciate him more as a character. Though subtle, scenes like this convey and show how surprisingly deep Goku is as a character which people seem to ignore or misunderstand.

Not only this, it also shows you how great of martial artist Goku really is, to remember the exact same movements and reenact a fight flawlessly from thirty years ago just shows you how skilled of fighter he really is.
This is one of the reasons why Goku is my favourite character. What do you guys think? Please share your thoughts and opinions. Bye :wave: :) :wave: .

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Re: Scenes like this make me appreciate Goku's character a lot more.

Post by Nia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:15 pm

It's definitely a clever touch. Whoever was behind that moment should be really proud.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm

It’s a shame they couldn’t apply this same level of attention to detail throughout the entire storyline of Super.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Nia wrote:It's definitely a clever touch. Whoever was behind that moment should be really proud.
True.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 pm

This is the proper way to do homages. Not reusing poses in scenes like the anime tends to do.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:12 am

So when Toei does it it's genius but when Toyotarou does it it's plagiarism?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:49 am

Marco Polo wrote:So when Toei does it it's genius but when Toyotarou does it it's plagiarism?
When it is subtle, Toei have gotten enough slack in the past as much as Toyo, are we forgetting #100? Stop trying to make agendas where none exist.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Marco Polo wrote:So when Toei does it it's genius but when Toyotarou does it it's plagiarism?
When it is subtle, Toei have gotten enough slack in the past as much as Toyo, are we forgetting #100? Stop trying to make agendas where none exist.
I did see a couple replies about Toyotaro's reuse of scenes in older threads. Toyotaro's are more subtle and don't really annoy as much as reusing the same exact story-boarding of Vegeta's first final flash. And it's only one panel that people will rarely notice.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 am

Exline wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I did see a couple replies about Toyotaro's reuse of scenes in older threads. Toyotaro's are more subtle and don't really annoy as much as reusing the same exact story-boarding of Vegeta's first final flash. And it's only one panel that people will rarely notice.
They notice.

Anyway, it really is a nice moment and probably the best done homage in Super.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Exline wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Toyotaro's """homages""" are less subtle than the average Michael Bay movie, and he most certainly does frequently use the exact same story-boarding (Frost eliminating Tenshinhan is almost identical to Goku vs. Tenshinhan in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, for instance). And while I'll usually ignore it when it involves at least one of the same characters, there's plenty that are just painfully distracting.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
This is not even remotely subtle.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:55 pm

The image doesnt work for me...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 pm

Nia wrote:
Exline wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: When it is subtle, Toei have gotten enough slack in the past as much as Toyo, are we forgetting #100? Stop trying to make agendas where none exist.
Toyotaro's """homages""" are less subtle than the average Michael Bay movie, and he most certainly does frequently use the exact same story-boarding (Frost eliminating Tenshinhan is almost identical to Goku vs. Tenshinhan in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, for instance). And while I'll usually ignore it when it involves at least one of the same characters, there's plenty that are just painfully distracting.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I'm starting to see that as well. It almost looks like he traced over the drawing and just change the characters in those positions.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:50 am

majinwarman wrote:
Nia wrote:
Exline wrote:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I'm starting to see that as well. It almost looks like he traced over the drawing and just change the characters in those positions.
I don't think it's quite straight up tracing (at least not in every case), but it definitely raises one's eyebrows.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Nia wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Nia wrote:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I don't think it's quite straight up tracing (at least not in every case), but it definitely raises one's eyebrows.
I don't think he is but it looks really questionable.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Khandom101 wrote:It's sad to see how the majority of the fan base failed to notice this beautiful reference. This scene when understood is amongst the most heart wrenching scenes in the entirety of dragon ball.
I mean... it’s probably the most subtle reference in the entire franchise, and just insanely subtle in general. You would have had to watch the Dragon Ball episode right beforehand to recognize it if someone else didn’t point it out to you.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:07 am

Can someone explain what this is referencing? The image doesn't work.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 am

batistabus wrote:Can someone explain what this is referencing? The image doesn't work.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:The image doesnt work for me...
It's a sequence outside of Baba's palace while he's waiting for her to bring out Freeza just before the Tournament of Power. He's reenacting the exact actions he made during his fight with Grandpa Gohan from the original Dragon Ball series.

Hopefully this link will work for you guys.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:16 pm

Out of the all continuity nods and Easter eggs in Super, this was without a doubt the best. Mainly because it's a great reward for those who are familiar with some of the earlier story arcs of Dragon Ball, as well one of the most heartwarming fights in the entire franchise, but it's also a great demonstration that Goku hasn't forgotten where he came from and what's important to him

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Nia wrote:
batistabus wrote:Can someone explain what this is referencing? The image doesn't work.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:The image doesnt work for me...
It's a sequence outside of Baba's palace while he's waiting for her to bring out Freeza just before the Tournament of Power. He's reenacting the exact actions he made during his fight with Grandpa Gohan from the original Dragon Ball series.

Hopefully this link will work for you guys.
That may just be one of my favorite moments from the anime. Thanks for pointing it out.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Nia wrote:
Exline wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: When it is subtle, Toei have gotten enough slack in the past as much as Toyo, are we forgetting #100? Stop trying to make agendas where none exist.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Yeah, subtle wasn't the right word to use. Sorry!

I like the way he references in scenes like these. It gets redundant after a while, but I don't think it's more offensive than what the anime has put out.