Should the retellings have just chopped the movies into episodes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Should the retellings have just chopped the movies into episodes?

Post by batistabus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm

TheRed259 wrote:No because there would be a big difference in the quality.
This is one of the best arguments I've seen on this topic. Although, if Toei had more time/resources dedicated to pre-production instead of reproducing existing content, the Universe 6 arc may have looked better that it ended up looking.

Additionally, it might have been somewhat difficult to split the films up into multiple 24 minute episodes.

Regardless of everything, I do wish they had just chopped them up.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:02 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Asura wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Yes, he did.
It's starting to become less and less surprising these days that the terrible decisions we thought were once TOEI's ideas actually came from Toriyama himself.
And I rarely see people call out Toriyama specifically for the dumb or unnecessary shit that happens with Super's storytelling. And it's not like no one has any issues with pointing the finger at Toei or Toyotaro when something goes wrong with the plot development of any given arc in Super.
Because no matter how dumb an idea is, the execution is what truly matters. This is basic storytelling 101.

The movie retellings didn't have to be bad, didn't have to be pointless, didn't have to create more plotholes than Z before it got to episode 22.
Last edited by Dragono on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:04 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Asura wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Yes, he did.
It's starting to become less and less surprising these days that the terrible decisions we thought were once TOEI's ideas actually came from Toriyama himself.
And I rarely see people call out Toriyama specifically for the dumb or unnecessary shit that happens with Super's storytelling. And it's not like no one has any issues with pointing the finger at Toei or Toyotaro when something goes wrong with the plot development of any given arc in Super.
Toriyama never said 'hey when you're retelling the arcs, drag them out as much as possible while adding nothing of value'.

I totally criticize Toriyama's draft for things that are actually present, like the destruction of Future Trunks' timeline. But when the problems stem from Toei or Toyotarou's execution of an idea, that's on them 100%.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:03 am

batistabus wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:No because there would be a big difference in the quality.
This is one of the best arguments I've seen on this topic.
Is it? BoG and RoF are far from spectacular in terms of animation and drawing quality. Yes, they have some great cuts, but the TV show also has them, and even better than the movies.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:28 am

Toriyama: "Please retell the last two movies in the TV series."

Production Committee: "Yeah, do that, by the way you only have three months to produce your first episode."

Chioka: "Uh...I'm still storyboarding World Trigger Episode #35 and we need more than three months to plan out the story..."

Production Committee: "LOL, like we give a fuck!"
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 am

Dragono wrote: Because no matter how dumb an idea is, the execution is what truly matters. This is basic storytelling 101.
Not every idea is salvageable though, and adapting roughly 1.5 to 2 hours of story content into an entire season's worth of episodes doesn't seem like it would be easy at all or even very feasible. I do sympathize with Toei here.

I get it: Toriyama wanted those arcs in the anime for those who missed out on the films and may not understand who Beerus and Whis are. The thing is, Super itself is contingent on knowledge of the original series too. Going straight to the Universe 6 arc might actually have benefited the story in the long run.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 am

I do agree that the movies were adapting a little too long. It's hard to turn that Beers movie into even six episodes, let alone fourteen. I wish they had done more peace-time episodes before jumping into adapting the movie so that the actual adaption could've been shorter. The Golden Freeza arc should've shown flashbacks to after the Namek arc from Sorbet's point of view to help eat up an episode or two.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:23 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Dragono wrote: Because no matter how dumb an idea is, the execution is what truly matters. This is basic storytelling 101.

Not every idea is salvageable though
, and adapting roughly 1.5 to 2 hours of story content into an entire season's worth of episodes doesn't seem like it would be easy at all or even very feasible. I do sympathize with Toei here.

I get it: Toriyama wanted those arcs in the anime for those who missed out on the films and may not understand who Beerus and Whis are. The thing is, Super itself is contingent on knowledge of the original series too. Going straight to the Universe 6 arc might actually have benefited the story in the long run.
They made evil Goku likable and Toriyama made alien monkeys named after vegetables terrifying.

Your argument doesn't work with this series, man. Dragon ball has too many dumb ideas for you to say that and this is toei animation, you know the same guys that took a 26 chapter fight and made it 4 hours long with Goku vs Freeza and took the 102 chapter dressrosa arc and turned it into 118 episodes and those weren't even planned.