Should the retellings have just chopped the movies into episodes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Should the retellings have just chopped the movies into episodes?

Post by Fizzer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:17 pm

If Toei wanted to get viewers up to speed off the back of Kai, and fill up some time for the writers working on newer content, would you have preferred they base the retellings on just cutting the extended cuts of BoF and RoF into episode-length segments?

I'm not suggesting this be done entirely lazily, but with a few minutes of new animation here and there to pad the episodes out slightly so that they begin and end in sensible places. Then with some entirely new episodes between the two movies for the Whis training material, maybe an extended battle between Goku and Beerus with original content.

Would the inconsistent animation have been worse than the episodes we got?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Should the retellings have just chopped the movies into episodes?

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 am

There was no need to waste so much on producing those episodes and there'd be no need to cut up good movies like that. What they should've done is simply made 2 episodes, one for each movie that covered the basic plot points before moving onto Champa's arc. I really hope they don't retell the new movie in the future but with it possibly being retold in the manga then I think it most likely will be in the anime as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:16 am

In hinsight, doing the movies was the best thing for early super, imagine Universe 6 with Rof animation or FT with that?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:27 am

It wouldn't have been possible because the rights of the movies belonged to more than just Shueisha, Fuji TV and Toei Animation. Reanimating from scratch let them cut out certain unnecessary partners, such as Fox.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:37 am

I'm sure the executives considered the idea and loved it, but that might have actually resulted in good animation and better scripts for arcs following RF.

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 am

Knowing all the problems they had in terms of schedule and production, I wonder why they didn't do it. I mean, take the movies and only add the scenes you need. That's all. They can also modify the script if they want, adding the namekian book of legends, changing some lines... I think the production would have improved vastly, and the result would have been better overall (even though I love some of the cuts in Gokuh vs Bills, specially Onishi's).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 am

Didn't Toriyama suggest for those to get re-adapted into arcs?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Didn't Toriyama suggest for those to get re-adapted into arcs?
Yes, he did.
In a separate, private interview conducted earlier — which the group subsequently provided an audio recording of — the group dives into a few more specifics, with the production team commenting on the forthcoming Q&A session. They explain that incorporating the theatrical films Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ into the new television series was Toriyama’s idea, and was part of introducing the characters Beerus and Whis, who the producers deemed essential to the story, to children who may not have already seen the movies.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It wouldn't have been possible because the rights of the movies belonged to more than just Shueisha, Fuji TV and Toei Animation. Reanimating from scratch let them cut out certain unnecessary partners, such as Fox.
Does it mean that if they leave Fox out of the upcoming movie it will be possible for them to cut it and adapt it to a TV show, if Super comes back under that form?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:29 pm

emperior wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It wouldn't have been possible because the rights of the movies belonged to more than just Shueisha, Fuji TV and Toei Animation. Reanimating from scratch let them cut out certain unnecessary partners, such as Fox.
Does it mean that if they leave Fox out of the upcoming movie it will be possible for them to cut it and adapt it to a TV show, if Super comes back under that form?
The less people you have to worry about paying royalties to, the better. Keep in mind, though, that Fox probably has rights to the movies and they can't get out of that.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:19 pm

That wouldn't have went well with the casual audience. The jump in quality would have been so jarring.

"Wow! These 2 arcs are great, they look beautiful!

Ewww, what happened to the show? They're getting lazy, it looks so much worse than the first 2 arcs."
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Yes, he did.
In a separate, private interview conducted earlier — which the group subsequently provided an audio recording of — the group dives into a few more specifics, with the production team commenting on the forthcoming Q&A session. They explain that incorporating the theatrical films Battle of Gods and Resurrection ‘F’ into the new television series was Toriyama’s idea, and was part of introducing the characters Beerus and Whis, who the producers deemed essential to the story, to children who may not have already seen the movies.
It's starting to become less and less surprising these days that the terrible decisions we thought were once TOEI's ideas actually came from Toriyama himself.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 am

Asura wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Yes, he did.
It's starting to become less and less surprising these days that the terrible decisions we thought were once TOEI's ideas actually came from Toriyama himself.
And I rarely see people call out Toriyama specifically for the dumb or unnecessary shit that happens with Super's storytelling. And it's not like no one has any issues with pointing the finger at Toei or Toyotaro when something goes wrong with the plot development of any given arc in Super.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:06 am

Retelling the movies was a good idea. The problem is that they were done with no time for the staff to properly develop a vision for those arcs.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:15 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Retelling the movies was a good idea. The problem is that they were done with no time for the staff to properly develop a vision for those arcs.
Why not just air the movies instead? The new Naruto material is re-telling the Boruto movie again after the manga already did it. Is this just a Japan thing I don't get or what?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:The new Naruto material is re-telling the Boruto movie again after the manga already did it. Is this just a Japan thing I don't get or what?
Not only is Boruto retelling the movie, it's using footage from it as well such as Sasuke's fight at the start of the movie being copied into ep54 but to make things worse they didn't use the whole fight, just a part of it from what I understand so it's shorter in the anime.

In terms of why these movies are being retold, it's simply to save time and $$$ on coming up with new content and to give the main writers like Toriyama time to write the new arcs. The problem with DB and Boruto is that they don't have a weekly manga to draw content from like One Piece does so you won't see any one piece movie get retold in its anime like those 2 are doing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Retelling the movies was a good idea. The problem is that they were done with no time for the staff to properly develop a vision for those arcs.
Why not just air the movies instead? The new Naruto material is re-telling the Boruto movie again after the manga already did it. Is this just a Japan thing I don't get or what?
They can expand on the story, as Boruto is doing.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Yeah, I don't mind the idea of re-telling the movies in a way that helps set up the future arcs or addresses the flaws/pacing issues, it's just the execution was really poor.

I would have taken just jumping into the Champa arc over the retellings we got but I understand why Toriyama felt it should be done.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:48 pm

They should have just done them in less episodes. Both arcs are horribly drawn out because they're 13 episode seasons based on 90 minute movies. You have entire episodes centered around what was 2 minutes in the movies. They should have gotten both movies out of the way in one sixteen episode season and had U6 as Season 2.