Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Asura » Tue May 15, 2018 1:29 am

Has it made you appreciate GT more? Hate it more? I think Super suffered from some of the same problems GT did so I'm curious as to how people feel about some of the mistakes GT has made now that Super has also made some of them, such as good ideas, bad execution, focusing on Goku too much, bad comic relief characters (Pilaf Gang, Para Para Brothers), the final villain not being very interesting aside from being very powerful, etc. etc.

Do GT's sins become more forgivable? Does it make you hate it even more? Or are you just neutral and feel the same way as you did before watching Super?

Lujin_16
Regular

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:33 am

i really don't see a reason why someone would appreciate GT more i mean in GT there is nothing memorable about it expect maybe ss4 design

The beginning of Super was OK but later Super had the Black Goku Arc & and the Tournament of Power Arc who has a lot of
memorable moments not just fights but new character introductions and an amazing soundtrack i mean look at the view numbers in youtube
for the super fights and soundtracks 10-40 mio views it's proof enough how they miss super and how they like the series

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 15, 2018 7:14 am

I like that GT just gave us one new Ssj form and it being original, unlike Super which not only went overboard with them but they were just recolors.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:24 am

Super made me dislike GT even more.
"Oh dear...."

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 am

Super didn't make me alter my attitude towards GT at all. I mean I did like Super a lot more as it averted the stuff that I hated about GT most, but it doesn't mean I somehow started liking GT even less now. I care about it exactly as little as I used to.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 am

Super and even other modern shows have really made me appreciate the old cel/hand drawn animation of older shows as the current one used feels really cheap in a lot of areas. I also like that GT gave DB a definitive ending, something I highly doubt Super will do as we seem to be in an age of keeping older things around for as long as possible. (not that I don't like DB being back, I just don't want it to overstay its welcome like the Naruto franchise). Buu, Piccolo & Goku satying "dead" was a bold move on GT's part as DB isn't known for permanent consequences.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 am

Kogu 87 wrote:Super made me dislike GT even more.
Opposite for me. DBS made me like GT more

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 am

It's the same. A bad show is a bad show. Why would it matter if another bad show comes along?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 am

Doctor. wrote:It's the same. A bad show is a bad show. Why would it matter if another bad show comes along?
Agreed. They're both ultimately mediocre products (GT arguably more so in my opinion, although I realize mileage varies there) and it's hard to see how one would even begin to influence somebody's perception of the other given how massively isolated they seem to be from each other in continuity, tone, etc.

For me, the most "impact" I can see it having is that it just made the previous follow-up seem more forgettable in comparison.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Not at all. I still think it has the same strengths and weaknesses I always thought it had.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue May 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's the same. A bad show is a bad show. Why would it matter if another bad show comes along?
It may make some reconsider if they realize that the mistakes they’ve been defending in Super were also mistakes that GT made. There’s a very popular “Hate GT first, ask questions/think about it later” sentiment when it comes to the show, whereas Super doesn’t have as negative a reputation.

I know at least a few people myself who love Super and hate GT, despite admitting they’ve never even seen a single episode of GT.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Asura wrote:
It may make some reconsider if they realize that the mistakes they’ve been defending in Super were also mistakes that GT made. There’s a very popular “Hate GT first, ask questions/think about it later” sentiment when it comes to the show, whereas Super doesn’t have as negative a reputation.

I know at least a few people myself who love Super and hate GT, despite admitting they’ve never even seen a single episode of GT.
Well, that's just stupid, but it isn't a recent phenomenon. Before Super was even a thing, you had people that never watched GT that hated it.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Tue May 15, 2018 3:40 pm

Well personally like I said, I'm bothered by things not many name when asked why GT sucks. So Super doing some of the same bad things that GT did doesn't really bother me all that much, if these things are of the variety that I don't mind that much :P

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 pm

I loved it before, I still love it now.

Only real difference Super made is it lead me to revisit the original 3 shows before it went on-air, and as I hadn't seen them in several years, I was able to appreciate all three of them to a greater degree, and in particular, the music stood out a lot more strongly for me, which was an especially big deal for GT. But, Super itself has had no influence on this.

The only thing Super has really impacted my opinions on is that I'm a lot more cynical about modern Dragon Ball in general(Which I consider to be anything post-2006) than I was when that period basically only consisted of Kai, BOG, and a bunch of video games.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Hasn't really effected my opinions on GT, but it did make me want to rewatch the entire series to get Super out of my head.

Despite Super giving me some cool stuff like Goku Black and my boi Hit, it also made me incredibly bitter about the future of the franchise. Going from "Oh man, I wonder how ____ will be, I can't wait to see more!" to "Oh God, they're doing ____ , I wonder how bad it will be..."
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 15, 2018 10:29 pm

I still appreciate GT very much, but Super did make me realize it was possible to tell a good story while including the rest of the cast.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:46 pm

Logania wrote:Hasn't really effected my opinions on GT, but it did make me want to rewatch the entire series to get Super out of my head.

Despite Super giving me some cool stuff like Goku Black and my boi Hit, it also made me incredibly bitter about the future of the franchise. Going from "Oh man, I wonder how ____ will be, I can't wait to see more!" to "Oh God, they're doing ____ , I wonder how bad it will be..."
Sounds familiar.
We should start a club. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Logania wrote:Hasn't really effected my opinions on GT, but it did make me want to rewatch the entire series to get Super out of my head.

Sounds familiar.
We should start a club. :lol:
I didn't even realize your post right above mine is essentially the same lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 am

Yeah now that Super exists as the sequel to DBZ then GT doesnt really have any reason to exist anymore. Just an inferior version with no character development or action from anyone other than Goku

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 am

PFM18 wrote:Yeah now that Super exists as the sequel to DBZ then GT doesnt really have any reason to exist anymore. Just an inferior version with no character development or action from anyone other than Goku
Well I mean it's not really a sequel, but a midquel, as it all takes place before the end of Z with the World Tournament and Uub. GT can still give people a look at the future and a solid feeling of a conclusion with the franchise.