Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Has Super impacted your opinion on GT at all?

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:34 am

Logania wrote:Well I mean it's not really a sequel, but a midquel, as it all takes place before the end of Z with the World Tournament and Uub. GT can still give people a look at the future and a solid feeling of a conclusion with the franchise.
Haha, this does bring about an interesting thought about the style of both series; GT exists to end the series, while Super exists to perpetuate it.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 16, 2018 1:09 am

Robo4900 wrote:Haha, this does bring about an interesting thought about the style of both series; GT exists to end the series, while Super exists to perpetuate it.
Which isn't usually a bad thing for me, in fact a lot of my favorite parts in series aren't important to the story or not even canon to the story but are incredibly well done (Naruto's Chikara Filler Arc and One Piece's G-8 Filler Arc for example)

But Super was...mediocre, and essentially fiddled with the timeline and world of Dragon Ball to showcase events and stories that aren't even addressed or needed later in the series. None of the Gods/Angels/Zeno/Multi-Verse characters are shown at the end or are important at the end of Z. You can erase them from your brain and nothing will change at the end. Waiting 15 years for an entire series that accomplishes nothing to the central story is just plain dumb. It'd be like after Naruto becomes Hokage, 5 years later they have a whole 100 episode series called "Naruto Beyond" that just has Naruto's Jonin adventures after the war. Who the hell cares at this point lol

I personally enjoyed Super a bit more than GT, but at least GT attempted to go beyond the story and explore the future instead of sticking in the past. Keep midquel content for movies and specials.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:13 am

Oh Cmon Robo! We ALL know you'd drop your hatred the minute a Pioneer quality dub was made with all the best actors Ocean has to offer. But then again, you'd watch an anime that was nothing but them reading the dictionary. :thumbup:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 am

Why would it?Both are bad shows that have nothing to do with each other,granted i would propably dislike Super a lot more if i had not watched GT first.
sintzu wrote:Buu, Piccolo & Goku satying "dead" was a bold move on GT's part as DB isn't known for permanent consequences.
Buu is the same case as Kami,Goku ascended to godhood or whatever happened to him at the end.
As for Piccolo,the revived everyone but him.

Would you have have the same opinion on the matter if they treated Vegeta the same way they treated? :P

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 am

PFM18 wrote:Yeah now that Super exists as the sequel to DBZ then GT doesnt really have any reason to exist anymore. Just an inferior version with no character development or action from anyone other than Goku
Is that what you actually think?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Oh Cmon Robo! We ALL know you'd drop your hatred the minute a Pioneer quality dub was made with all the best actors Ocean has to offer. But then again, you'd watch an anime that was nothing but them reading the dictionary. :thumbup:
Haha. Well, honestly an Ocean dub would indeed probably lead me to rewatch most of the filler stuff, and probably Battle Of Gods too... And maybe the U6 tournament... No chance I'd bother with any of the rest though, tbh. I'd rather not taint my memories of the Ocean voices with the bitterness the rest of Super has stirred up for me.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am

It changed my perspective about GT from a bad and boring show with no remediable qualities to an average and boring show with a few remediable qualities.

What SUPER changed the most about my perspective of GT was the later being visually appealing (Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru > Tadayoshi Yamamuro) and consitent ok animation (but never reaching both the highs and lows SUPER did).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Whatever wrote:Would you have have the same opinion on the matter if they treated Vegeta the same way they treated? :P
Do you mean would my opinion change if Vegeta also died ? Vegeta wasn't treated as good as I would've liked but he still got his time to (somewhat) shine. He was the person Baby picked as his main body, the last man standing against 17 before Goku arrived & the only other character to reach Ssj4 and play a major role in the final battle.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

sintzu wrote:
Whatever wrote:Would you have have the same opinion on the matter if they treated Vegeta the same way they treated? :P
Do you mean would my opinion change if Vegeta also died ? Vegeta wasn't treated as good as I would've liked but he still got his time to (somewhat) shine. He was the person Baby picked as his main body, the last man standing against 17 before Goku arrived & the only other character to reach Ssj4 and play a major role in the final battle.
I mean if Vegeta died but was treated the same way Piccolo was.Would you be satisfied with that?Just because they had the guts to kill him?
Just imagine Vegeta suiciding after his only appearance was a 5 second cameo against Baby Gohan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Whatever wrote:I mean if Vegeta died but was treated the same way Piccolo was.Would you be satisfied with that?Just because they had the guts to kill him?
Just imagine Vegeta suiciding after his only appearance was a 5 second cameo against Baby Gohan.
Keeping him dead would be a bold move, treating him like Piccolo wouldn't be good but I also think Piccolo should've (and still should) get more to do.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Cetra wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Yeah now that Super exists as the sequel to DBZ then GT doesnt really have any reason to exist anymore. Just an inferior version with no character development or action from anyone other than Goku
Is that what you actually think?
Do I think that a show that has been deemed "Goku's time" only gave significant action to Goku? Yes, I do. Goku was the only one that fought and did anything other than get their ass beat. Literally 0 other characters were useful in a fight. Vegeta as a SSJ4 fought alongside Goku as they both got their asses kicked and Vegeta was part of Gogeta. But really being half of Gogeta was the closest that any fighter other than Goku got to being useful. That is just sad. Especially with all the potential that DBZ gave them with Uub and what not.

Do I think that a series that is widely regarded as an embarassment to the DB franchise and had horrible ratings had a limited amount of character development if any? Yes, I do. Nobody developed in Gt from start to finish. People say Pan did but she was exactly the same whiny kid from start to finish of the series. The same intolerable character throughout.

Baby and SSJ4 are the only good things to come out of GT and they came in the same arc. The rest of the series is an insult to the Dragon Ball franchise.
Logania wrote:
Well I mean it's not really a sequel, but a midquel, as it all takes place before the end of Z with the World Tournament and Uub. GT can still give people a look at the future and a solid feeling of a conclusion with the franchise.
I mean technically it is a midquel but it takes place after the last major arc that was the Buu arc. It precludes the couple episodes that were the EoZ but it functionally was still a sequel to DBZ.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Oh Cmon Robo! We ALL know you'd drop your hatred the minute a Pioneer quality dub was made with all the best actors Ocean has to offer. But then again, you'd watch an anime that was nothing but them reading the dictionary. :thumbup:
Haha. Well, honestly an Ocean dub would indeed probably lead me to rewatch most of the filler stuff, and probably Battle Of Gods too... And maybe the U6 tournament... No chance I'd bother with any of the rest though, tbh. I'd rather not taint my memories of the Ocean voices with the bitterness the rest of Super has stirred up for me.
DA~YUM! You sure hate Super! I thought there was nothing that could get between you and your love of Ocean dubbed Dragon Ball! It seems like we finally found it. THE THING.

Anyway, I havent answered the titular question myself, so I guess I should. I loved the ending of GT and as my favorite Naruto character said, its the ending, the plot twist that makes a story worth it. If its good its great.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am

Nope. I like GT and like Super even more. I judge both shows on their own merits.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Super made me tolerate GT a bit more, because finally we can have proof when we say it's not canon :D
Get Fucked, C_unt

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:Super made me tolerate GT a bit more, because finally we can have proof when we say it's not canon :D
Canon ? you used the C word!!!! :o :wtf:

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Thu May 17, 2018 12:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:Super made me tolerate GT a bit more, because finally we can have proof when we say it's not canon :D
Canon ? you used the C word!!!! :o :wtf:
Someone had to do it 8)
Get Fucked, C_unt

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Very much so in fact. I now realize GT wasn't really that bad in comparison to Super imho.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Potara-Warrior96 wrote:Very much so in fact. I now realize GT wasn't really that bad in comparison to Super imho.
Wait seriously? How have ypu come tp this conclusion?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu May 17, 2018 6:10 pm

It hasn't impacted my opinion at all.
I thought it was garbage before and think it is garbage now.
My friends also came to the same conclusion and so we pretty much ignore GT in our DB discussions.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu May 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Currently rewatching GT on Hulu, up to episode 6. So far the biggest sin aside from the setup and premise is the absolute lack of tension. I know I still have plenty more episodes, but personally, I'd rather be bored then offended, and Super offends me bad. When the series "picks up" I'll be able to say if for me, if GT is vindicated.